Photo

Who would you choose to be your group leader?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Poll: Who would you choose to be your group leader? (78 member(s) have cast votes)

Image you are one of the group member, who do you think is a more effective leader who will increase your survival chances in a ZA world?

1. Rick (44 votes [56.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.41%

2. Shane (10 votes [12.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.82%

3. Hershel (3 votes [3.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

4. Daryl (21 votes [26.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

WalkMeDead

WalkMeDead

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 107 posts
Thanks for everyone's thoughts and comments but would appreciate if you could also click on one the the option choices in the poll please...

Agree totally with Ceepeebee...must vote while imagining yourself as one of the group survivors...not as one of the tv show viewer...

Again my take is that in the dangerous world filled with walkers waiting for the next meal...I would want a leader who would help me live another day...someone whose sole mission is to help everyone in the group (including myself) to survive another day...someone who needs to make the difficult decision (not popular) to abandon the search or to give up on saving someone whose survival chances are low for the general good of the whole.

If I was in Otis position that day with Shane and knowing my own physical attributes and my chances of out-running the walkers in the long chase with the bag of medical equipment...I would eventually lose my legs over the next stretch of 1-2km of running even without Shane needing to shoot me ...so in the end, I will become walkers' bait as Shane is fitter and would continue running...the only problem is that I am carrying the bag containing the critical medial equipment...and Shane did the right thing to sacrifice the hindrance to save another in the group so that he can take the bag and continue his escape..

What would Rick do if he was in Shane's place at the High School? Would he continue to carry the "deadweight", knowing it will drastically reduce their chances of escaping the herd? I doubt Rick would be so kind as he has to think about Carl...and the fact that if neither of them gets back with the medical equipment Carl needs, it's as good as killing his own son. So Shane didn't just do the right thing, he did what anyone of us will do in this situation.

SkunkWorks

SkunkWorks

Lurker

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationPennslyvania
Rick - as a domestic, "in camp" leader
Shane - as a combat leader, for any missions outside camp
Daryl - doesn't want to be a leader

Faith

Faith

Lurker

• Members
  • 233 posts
Exactly, WalkMeDead.
I'm not discussing the Shane/Otis thing...I'd have done the same thing, and that's that. The only thing that can salvage TWD is when Daryl kills Rick.

WalkMeDead

WalkMeDead

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 107 posts
I don't believe it...Daryl getting more votes than Shane....no wonder EP12 is his last episode...lol...

Nareen

Nareen

Lurker

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • LocationCanada
What, another poll on this topic? Anyway, I’ll bite - I vote for Rick. He isn’t perfect but he is by far the best they’ve got and is learning as he goes.

Shane is far too egocentric and irrational – a good warrior but a terrible leader.

As was said above, Daryl is a loner, lacks people skills and is carrying a lot of emotional baggage. Leadership is not in his skill set.

I understand about Hershel and the barn and don’t fault him for it, but I don’t think the Atlanta survivors would follow him. Nor does he want to lead them.

WalkMeDead, in addition to the things that Rick did indeed do wrong, you cite a number of things that were not his fault at all.

I agree that Shane was not the leader of the group at the quarry; there wasn’t one. There is a reason that everyone started gravitating towards Rick when he appeared.

Will someone please tell me how recent amputee Merle got a dozen or so walkers into a truck with its cab open to the back and drove them to the quarry? Did he tell them that if they didn’t eat him, he would treat them to a much larger, tastier, less-drug riddled meal? I can’t get my head around how he did it.

Edited by Nareen, 09 March 2012 - 01:23 PM.

Ironmangray

Ironmangray

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • LocationGood Ol' U.S. of A.

Daryl doesn't seem like leadership material at all. He's a good man, more or less. He's a good fighter, and an expert survivalist, but he's also a lone wolf. Lone wolves don't know how to use people to the fullest benefit of the group.

Rick's too good hearted right now. But when the chips are down, he takes action, and he's slowly but steadily becoming harder. He's not perfect right now, but he'll get there, and until then he's still a lot better than the most of the other options.

I was kinda torn between Rick and Daryl, but chose Daryl.
I think Rick is a great leader. He's always trying to do what he believes is best for the group. Yeah, he makes mistakes, just like all leaders do, but at least he tries.
But Daryl is Daryl. No comments necessary. Posted Image

Like you two, I was torn between Rick and Daryl.

I think Daryl is the more capable survivor, but he lacks the communication skills and interpersonal abilities to be deemed leader in my opinion. Rick is wussing out a lot, and he has all that personal drama, but I can see him stepping up to the plate much sooner than Daryl. I wouldn't be unhappy with either of them, as leader, but I'd choose Rick in this type group setting.

If I had to pick one person to be part of my 2-man group, it'd definitely be Daryl.
“I like fishing. It’s like yoga, except I still get to kill something.”
-Ron Swanson, Parks and Recreation

WalkMeDead

WalkMeDead

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 107 posts
After the 4 of them (Rick, Glenn, Daryl and T-Dog) have retrieved the bag of guns and found the van missing from where the have parked it...my guess is that it definitely not a walker who has driven it away since this is the route that Glenn has brought the initial group (that includes Merle) into the city. So who else will know the route in & out of Atlanta city except the one-handed Merle...who possibly may have a herd of walkers running after him, judging from the way he has escaped the building through the window and the 2 dead walkers in the office..he may have found a way to lure the walkers up the hill by driving the van slowly to the campsite. Then how do we explain (1) who drove the van away? (2) Who else knows the route into and out of the city? (3) Who knows the location of the campsite? (4) What reasons would anyone else have to lure walkers up the campsite if not for vengence?

Do the maths,...it's definitely not the Vatos and who else, with this in-depth knowledge of the van, the route in/out of the city and the location of the campsite?

Major Tom

Major Tom

Biter

• Members
  • 1,351 posts
  • LocationCommonwealth of Lower Alabama

What I have to say to a number of you is forget the show and the bits we see that other Characters don't tyhat lead us to draw conclusions to support the storyline. Instead try and put yourself in a zombie apocalypse....think of the terror, the dread. Living each and every moment looking over your shoulder.

I'd be a quivering wreck for one!

Now with that in mind.....who would you most want up front, deciding how you were going to live. It's not about whether one will get better with time...we're talking instants...we want them to make things work today, for us all, so we live. For me that has to be Shane.....he would no doubt cause a number of problems down the road psychologically, but would at least, keep the group safe for the immediate...which surely is what you'd want.

Not strategically....I'm not so sure.

In the show, I'd want Rick...all the way....but if it was my ass on the line, I'd want Shane to bear all the burden and just get things done.

I get what you are saying but if I am right there living it, I see Shane looking out for #1, Lori, and Carl, in that order. In a pinch he cares way less about the rest of them.

For a reasonable fee, I will quell minor outbreaks, enforce quarantines, and dispatch infected relatives.

WalkMeDead

WalkMeDead

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 107 posts
Anyone thinks Andrea will stand up and become a leader after Dale's death, and also maybe after Shane leaves the set? Reading the interview, it does seems to suggest that maybe...a big maybe...Andrea may take on some leadership responsibilities in honor of Dale and Shane...just a thought?

Edited by WalkMeDead, 09 March 2012 - 03:50 PM.

head_creeps

head_creeps

Infected

• Members
  • 97 posts
I would go with Rick.

Glen and Hershel know, from first hand experience, that when push comes to shove Rick does not hesitate to do what must be done, even in a split-second situation (the bar).

The fact that he struggles, at times, with more ambiguous decisions (like what to do with Randall) just means he's human. While I often argue that Shane's point of view about those sorts of things is more "correct" from a pure survival point of view, I think that if I was really there I'd feel better knowing Rick was calling the shots.

Ideally, Shane would accept this, because ultimately I think the group is stronger if they are both there working together to defend it.

Ryan_Dead

Ryan_Dead

Biter

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
I don't understand why people would vote for Daryl as a leader. Maybe its because you really like his character or something

DiabloAzul

DiabloAzul

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 103 posts
No option "Myself"? I think I would make a good leader. We would be living on an island on a lake somewhere by now. Catching fish, going back and forth for supplies to build up the island, etc.

I wouldn't die in a ZA. Jordan Lake only thirty minutes away, my pontoon boat, camping gear, etc. is all I would need. A few ladies to "repopulate" wouldn't hurt either. ;)

DiabloAzul

DiabloAzul

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 103 posts

I don't understand why people would vote for Daryl as a leader. Maybe its because you really like his character or something

Daryl would be a great right-hand man. A co-leader, but not outright leader by himself.

Ironmangray

Ironmangray

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • LocationGood Ol' U.S. of A.

I voted for Rick (see previous post for explanations if you're interested), but I can see why people would want Daryl.

He's strong, capable, smart, and has proven that he has a vested interest in the well-being of the group, even if he tries to hide it. I think his demeanour is off-putting to a lot of people because he's very direct and gruff. He's not one to step up and assume command...I think he's much more likely to disagree and pursue his own course of action than he is to start a coup. That said, if he was placed in a leadership position, I think he'd do very well.

At this point in the show, however, I think Rick is more suited.
“I like fishing. It’s like yoga, except I still get to kill something.”
-Ron Swanson, Parks and Recreation

DiabloAzul

DiabloAzul

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 103 posts
I voted Shane but in an episode or two probably not,

Spoiler

Nareen

Nareen

Lurker

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • LocationCanada

After the 4 of them (Rick, Glenn, Daryl and T-Dog) have retrieved the bag of guns and found the van missing from where the have parked it...my guess is that it definitely not a walker who has driven it away since this is the route that Glenn has brought the initial group (that includes Merle) into the city. So who else will know the route in & out of Atlanta city except the one-handed Merle...who possibly may have a herd of walkers running after him, judging from the way he has escaped the building through the window and the 2 dead walkers in the office..he may have found a way to lure the walkers up the hill by driving the van slowly to the campsite. Then how do we explain (1) who drove the van away? (2) Who else knows the route into and out of the city? (3) Who knows the location of the campsite? (4) What reasons would anyone else have to lure walkers up the campsite if not for vengence?

Do the maths,...it's definitely not the Vatos and who else, with this in-depth knowledge of the van, the route in/out of the city and the location of the campsite?

OK, I understand your explanation but IMO it is pretty far-fetched. I could believe that Merle took the van and escaped the city. But while it is not outside the realm of possibilty that Merle was involved, there is not a shred of actual evidence to suggest that anyone lured the walkers to the campsite. Why would Merle do that to his brother anyway? As far as he knew, Daryl was right there. I know Merle is a complete waste of space but his brother?

Maybe Glen's car horn drew them to the area. Maybe it was the smell of fish cooking. Maybe it was the ongoing expansion of the walkers from the cities and therefore random. Likely we will never know, unless one of the writers comes clean.

We will have to agree to disagree, about this and about Rick and Shane. I see that, as usual, Shane is getting whupped in the leadership poll.

The Governor

The Governor

Lurker

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationMidlands, England

OK, I understand your explanation but IMO it is pretty far-fetched. I could believe that Merle took the van and escaped the city. But while it is not outside the realm of possibilty that Merle was involved, there is not a shred of actual evidence to suggest that anyone lured the walkers to the campsite. Why would Merle do that to his brother anyway? As far as he knew, Daryl was right there. I know Merle is a complete waste of space but his brother?

Maybe Glen's car horn drew them to the area. Maybe it was the smell of fish cooking. Maybe it was the ongoing expansion of the walkers from the cities and therefore random. Likely we will never know, unless one of the writers comes clean.

We will have to agree to disagree, about this and about Rick and Shane. I see that, as usual, Shane is getting whupped in the leadership poll.

Haha, of all of the half-baked theories I've read on this site, Merle leading walkers all the way to the campsite as revenge is the most ridiculous yet.

The Ricktatorship begins!!!

DrHouse2

DrHouse2

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 113 posts
Gotta pick Shane, I've agreed with more of his decisions. Clearing out the barn, not going back into the city for Rick's guns, abandoning the search for Sophia were the right decisions. If the synopsis for the upcoming episode is true, then:

Spoiler

Shane is a hot head, but he only gets heated when someone challenges his authority. His decision are usually the right ones, self preservation trumps morality in a ZA world.

Ciren

Ciren

Biter

• Members
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationLocation Location!
Hershel? Really? He's gotta be in his 70's... Who in the effity eff eff eff would follow Old McDonald? Dale? Old McDonald and Farmer Dale? Abuela?... Posted Image

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • 712 posts
  • LocationKnoxville TN

Personally I will choose Shane as he has proven and shown that he can keep the people in the group alive...by all means possible.

Look at the pre-Rick and post-Rick stats...more people in the group have perished after he joined...whereas Shane's leadership has kept the rules simple and duties clear to ensure camp is safe and people alive.

I would even go as far as to say that Rick's sudden appearance and taking over of the leadership of the group has caused more rife and disunity among the members, than when under Shane's stewardship. Just take a look at how Rick has handled Merle and what happened as a consequence? I don't see how Merle would not have been such a problem under Shane, probably because he has set simple-to-understand ground rules to ensure higher survival chances for the group and tolerated people like Merle and Carol's hubby, but at the same time given them clear roles to do their part to protect the camp.

But after Rick took over, Merle went berserk and as a result, many people in the group died from Merle's act of vengence. Daryl nearly lost it with the group after finding out his brother's fate on top of the roof. Even now, Daryl himself thinks the group is broken, which indirectly questioned Rick's leadership qualities.

Sophia has turned into a zombie...Carol lost faith in the group as she voiced out that she should not be part of the decision to determine Randell's fate..Andrea lost her sister and changed to be more Shane-like (which is good for the group)...Dale lost his life...Lori becomes a cunning witch, plotting the death of Shane... Glenn stopped believing in Dale (indirectly causing Dale's demise since his voice became softer without support)...

Finally Shane...he turned into a crazy, self-consuming person, who once was Rick's best friend and has and till now, given his 100% to ensure the group safety and survival. Unlike Shane, Rick would risk the safety of the group to carry through his convinctions (even in a post-ZA world when normal rules no longer applies) just to keep his conscience clear.

What do you think? And who would you choose?

Some of your reasoning is sound..however you forget Shane would've let the peeps trapped in Atlanta rot.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Viggo's one and only girl

• Moderators
  • 7,346 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida
Since you wrote "Imagine yourself as one of the group"......I volunteer you to go on any 2 man missions with Shane. :mellow:

You have to be able to trust your leader and not feel that he will leave you for walker bait.

WalkMeDead

WalkMeDead

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 107 posts

Remember the scene in Chupracabra? Daryl hallucinated that Merle was speaking to him...whether this is simply pure hallucination or not, it does reveal some stuff that the writers may have in mind to explain past events...Merle accuses Daryl for leaving him dead on the roof...hence thinking that his own brother has turned on him...probably why he would want blood for blood...brother or not.

So it is likely or even highly probable that Merle doesn't give a fish if the walkers that he led to the campsite eat his brother, as long as he gets his vengence...

Agree to disagree with you on this account...but my guess is Merle is the one who lured the walkers to the campsite....smell of dead fish doesn't attract walkers...walkers are only attracted to live meat, rght?

WalkMeDead

WalkMeDead

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 107 posts

Some of your reasoning is sound..however you forget Shane would've let the peeps trapped in Atlanta rot.

But we must also not forget that Rick wasn't at the campsite in the first place when the lot was trapped at Atlanta...he too was trapped in the tank and if not for Glenn helping him out, he would have been stuck there.

So again refresh my memory...how did the group get trapped in the building that they went to find supplies? The operation went smoothly until Rick came along and started shooting his revolver when surrounded by walkers...and if Glenn had not helped Rick, the group may have sneaked out of the building where they came from since the walkers are all busy surrounding the tank and eating Rick's horse...so the lot getting trapped in the building was again due to Rick too...if you ask me.

How could you possibly forget the introduction between Rick and Andrea...with her pulling her gun on Rick, saying "We're dead...all of us...because of you."

Judari

Judari

Biter

• Members
  • 947 posts
I'm not sure who I would pick.

From first view I would say Rick, although like everyone mentioned he constantly second guesses himself and cannot stick to a decision. I think although he would eventually save the day and maybe end up in a better situation that the other two leading, he would have the most causalities along the way.

Shane would be great but then there's also the fear of him rushing into things too brashly. I don't agree with those who say he puts Lori and Carl above everyone else, I just think its with outsiders. Of course if it was Carl or Carol and at that very moment he could only save one, no brainier would be Carl. But with outside people I just think its easier for him to make them the sacrifice as with Otis (also lesser guilt there because Otis was the reason for Carl hurt in the first place). This also makes sense why he is so easily able to get rid of Randal without a second thought. Also really can't judge his them or me mentality when you have a gang of walkers chasing you, you have no idea how you would react. That said I do believe he would have saved Otis if he could have (it was obvious they both werent going to make it). I remember a conversation he had with Andrea where he mentioned adrenaline kicking in and taking control from there without you thinking. Further more even if he didn't shoot him but ran off with him behind he would then would have had to make another trip, with no ammo, back to the pack of supplies, that's time Carl didn't have.

Daryl, would also be great, actually almost perfect mix of Shane and Rick, but as he lacks communication necessary (even more than Shane) to be a successful leader. In a very small 2-5 group he could handle but any larger and I think they would be put off by his lonewolf ways. Being stuck with anyone I'd choose Daryl. Hell even if the group he was leading went to pieces I would feel the most secure going off with him. But getting to the "good guy" under all that standoffish-lesser-fucks-could-be-given-personality is what most would have the time or couldn't emotionally do in a ZA and I think would be the reason why he wouldn't be successful. Not to mention the fact he just doesn't want to, not because he doesn't care, the guilt he had over his brother and Sophia he took to heart and I think he just doesn't want the guilt of being responsible for another life.

Posted Image

Operational Security

Operational Security

Roamer

• Members
  • 660 posts
Shane- No, I don't trust the guy

Daryl- No, he has too much emotional baggage at the moment and I don't want my leader calling me a stupid b*tch when he's in a mood.

Hershel- No, he may be able to run a farm effectively but I highly doubt he would've been able to survive Atlanta or get the group out of the CDC.

I choose Rick

Edited by Operational Security, 10 March 2012 - 02:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!