- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

adam

adam

Infected

• Members
  • 22 posts
(SPOILER ALERT) This will contain spoilers until VOL. 15, because that's my recent point of information.

I find this hard to describe but I try.

Ever since Rick lost his hand or well, let's say ever since he lost his mind, talking to the phone, going apeshit and all the stuff, I don't see him as a character so important anymore. He clearly turned out to be unable to save everyone's life (which obviously isn't possible) und seems to be dying from the inside with all the shit he has gone through. Now I'm asking myself how the story goes on when he dies, which should happen sometime imo, because Carl will grow up and already learned alot from his Dad and other main characters like Glenn are still around.

Besides, he won't be able to defend himself as good as he could when he had two hands, what already became very clear in some situations in the latest volumes, I think. So, what do you think? How could TWD go on if Rick died? Will he be "protagonist forever" or will someone step into his position some day?

LeRoy

LeRoy

Infected

• Members
  • 15 posts
I don't think you can kill Rick without killing the series. Who would you have step up?

Bro

Bro

Lurker

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

I don't think you can kill Rick without killing the series. Who would you have step up?

Carl
Posted Image

Rawcore

Rawcore

Infected

• Members
  • 16 posts
If Rick dies its going to suck, no one really compares to how badass he is. I like Carl but hes like 10?

Bro

Bro

Lurker

• Members
  • 341 posts

If Rick dies its going to suck, no one really compares to how badass he is. I like Carl but hes like 10?

The comic has progressed 2-3 years already. It's quite likely Rick wouldn't die for a while, so if time were to speed up, perhaps it could skip a bit if things calm down more with the other towns, it's not too unimaginable that Carl could be 18ish by the time Rick were to die.
Posted Image

Barry Cade

Barry Cade

Biter

• Members
  • 2,026 posts
  • LocationNorth of the Wall. Seriously. I am 200 yards from it.
Carl could step up in a couple of years, I suppose. Hell, in Victorian times we used to make kids work in mills and up chimneys and stuff; in post-apocalyptic times it'd not be too much of a leap of faith for a 15 year old to be the hero of a comic.

I can see it now...

"Carl, CARL! We're under attack! Can you come out of your bedroom and stop making that thud-thud squelch sound you've been making non-stop for the last couple of hours!"

"AwwwWWWW I NEVER get any privacy!" STOMP STOMP STOMP...

Don't Dead Open Inside...

Crispy

Crispy

Infected

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSingapore
i think robert kirkman would exhaust every opportunity to prolong rick's suffering - maybe even killing carl off first Posted Image
ᒓᴥᒔ

Matt

Matt

Biter

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationUnder your bed.....
Ehhh it would seem too weird. The series opened with him and should end with him.
Posted Image

Gettin_Grimey

Gettin_Grimey

Infected

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Carl cant be a leader, his depth perception is terrible.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • 4,259 posts
  • LocationThe Island of Misfit Toys

Now you're just being cruel. Oh, wait a minute, I just remembered all the things I've said to President Merle about his hand. Carry on then.Posted Image
The writins' on the wall, there's a bruise on his face. Daddys come and go, mammas on a date.
He's just cold an hungry, playin ain't no fun. And if he ever grows up, he'll get him a gun.

adam

adam

Infected

• Members
  • 22 posts

Ehhh it would seem too weird. The series opened with him and should end with him.

Weird, why? Imagine Carl being like 18, I don't see why Rick couldn't die then. By that time almost 10 years were gone since the ZA started and he would be perfectly "educated", because he just grew up in this fucked up world. I think he could be a good leader by then, being only one of a few who have seen so much bullshit in their lifes and even survived it. Imagine the flachbacks of some father-son parts after Rick maybe died and so on ... I think this could have lots of potential.

Btw ... Does anyone understand why Carl lost his eye? I don't. I mean it was pointless. Was it only to make him look more like a bad ass, just when he isn't an adult even? If that's the point, I think it is still dumb. And pretty unrealistic that he survived, in my opinion. ...

Edited by adam, 07 March 2012 - 02:20 PM.

jacob

jacob

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 122 posts

Weird, why? Imagine Carl being like 18, I don't see why Rick couldn't die then. By that time almost 10 years were gone since the ZA started and he would be perfectly "educated", because he just grew up in this fucked up world. I think he could be a good leader by then, being only one of a few who have seen so much bullshit in their lifes and even survived it. Imagine the flachbacks of some father-son parts after Rick maybe died and so on ... I think this could have lots of potential.

Btw ... Does anyone understand why Carl lost his eye? I don't. I mean it was pointless. Was it only to make him look more like a bad ass, just when he isn't an adult even? If that's the point, I think it is still dumb. And pretty unrealistic that he survived, in my opinion. ...

Definitely agree with the statement about Carl's eye. I personally think,with the NO WAY OUT arc having such a huge build up and all the teasers pointing towards certain death, everyone almost accepted that a few favourites were going to bite the dust, similar to the prison assault. So i think that Kirkman did it for shock factor, i mean besides Morgan and Douglas, the other characters (Ron, Jessie and Tobin) didn't have much depth or huge potential as main characters.
But as a main character goes I'm not sure on Carl we've seen him grow up and change just like Rick it wouldn't be anything new, with the way things are going i wouldn't be surprised if Jesus or even Michonne become the new Rick.

Monzerelli

Monzerelli

Infected

• Members
  • 52 posts
I've never cared for Rick, he's overly compelled to lead & I'm surprised that that hasn't been a bigger issue with other characters. He's just annoying to me.

Gettin_Grimey

Gettin_Grimey

Infected

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationAustralia
the thing about rick is that he was just a regular guy. he explained that he wasnt any kind of super cop and he displayed the traits of your average joe six pack. the story is less about the end of the world, but more what it can do to you as a person. basically hes a guy that we can all relate to in one way or another so killing him off would basically be killing the entire concept of TWD.

Monzerelli

Monzerelli

Infected

• Members
  • 52 posts
Yeah, I know the book needs him but he's too "I'll take care of everything" for me.

pseudopsynic

pseudopsynic

Infected

• Members
  • 4 posts

i think robert kirkman would exhaust every opportunity to prolong rick's suffering - maybe even killing carl off first Posted Image

Couldn't have said it better myself! :zombiethumbsup:

pseudopsynic

pseudopsynic

Infected

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted Image

aahe42

aahe42

Lurker

• Members
  • 242 posts
I can picture rick dead way later in the comic seeing is that I think kirkman is not afraid to kill off characters the reason why ricks not dead is because hes central to the story and fans will probably be upset but i think there will come a time he wont be around just not yet give rick time maybe he will get out of his rut, maybe if they pass some time and rick is dead from old age, and Carl is grown up in a world like in George Romero Land of the Dead, cities started up, people doing jobs, living daily lives, feeling more secure yet inevitably still surrounded by the ever growing numbers of the dead. I could see Carl as this tough bad ass loner type going from place to place helping communities out. haha

Edited by aahe42, 13 March 2012 - 07:08 PM.

Damon Z

Damon Z

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationSouth of Atlanta.
If they kill Rick, they kill the story. Remember, it's the story of Rick Grimes. Not to mention, who knows how Carl ends up. I would believe that if Rick were to die now in the comics, the group would become unraveled immediately.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

"It's not the same as killing the dead ones, daddy"

aahe42

aahe42

Lurker

• Members
  • 242 posts

If they kill Rick, they kill the story. Remember, it's the story of Rick Grimes. Not to mention, who knows how Carl ends up. I would believe that if Rick were to die now in the comics, the group would become unraveled immediately.

I have not seen anywhere that its a story just about rick, maybe the show is but I think the author wants a sense of realism that's why Lori, Tyresee died and everyone else, it was to show that know one is immune to death, and rick has already out lived many moments if he some how escapes death always it kind throws away that realism. I doubt he will be gone any time soon as hes a central character to the whole story, it would be hard to kill him successfully right now.

Edited by aahe42, 13 March 2012 - 08:26 PM.

llamapotmaus

llamapotmaus

Infected

• Members
  • 17 posts
In an interview Kirkman stated that he has/is thinking of killing Rick. Mainly because you can't have so many bad things happen to and around someone, and have that person survive everything. But i could see Rick dying at the end with Glen, Carl and others still alive. Then have a spin off of sorts which follows Carl when he's older

Damon Z

Damon Z

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationSouth of Atlanta.

I have not seen anywhere that its a story just about rick,

Posted Image

It's not JUST about Rick, but TWD is the story of Rick's life, we just happen to see other's lives as well.

Edited by Damon Z, 14 March 2012 - 12:11 AM.

"It's not the same as killing the dead ones, daddy"

Bro

Bro

Lurker

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted Image

Carl doesn't.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!