Photo

Opinions on Herschel?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

Poll: Opinions on Herschel? (69 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of him?

1. Awesome hes a great character! 90/10 (8 votes [11.59%])

Percentage of vote: 11.59%

2. He's a good character 75/25 (30 votes [43.48%])

Percentage of vote: 43.48%

3. hes ok 50/50 (5 votes [7.25%])

Percentage of vote: 7.25%

4. i dont like him 25/75 (14 votes [20.29%])

Percentage of vote: 20.29%

5. he needs to die soon i hate him 10/90 (12 votes [17.39%])

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

6. no opinion (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. not sure yet (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Merle Dixon

Merle Dixon

Biter

• Banned
  • 2,345 posts
  • LocationWoodbury Georgia
well my opinion is that kicking the survivors out is selfish. im not insulting anybody
Posted Image

Harrison Blackwood

Harrison Blackwood

Infected

• Members
  • 8 posts

well my opinion is that kicking the survivors out is selfish. im not insulting anybody

Well having seen episode 7 now - Herschel did reconsider and decided to give Rick and the group another chance. So he showed a conscience and a christian and charitable attitude. His only stipulation was they follow his rules.

In the meantime Daryl went to steal (or whatever you call borrowing someone elses property without their permission)
another horse again if not interrupted by Carol. Shane distributed all the guns against Ricks, Dales, and Herschels wishes, let the walkers out of the barn and then the whole group had a Turkey shoot which included blowing away Herschels wife and stepson as well as Sophia.

Which by the look of it sent Herschel into shock or traumatized him.

Perhaps Rick should ask Herschel for another chance? While their reloading?

Merle Dixon

Merle Dixon

Biter

• Banned
  • 2,345 posts

Well having seen episode 7 now - Herschel did reconsider and decided to give Rick and the group another chance. So he showed a conscience and a christian and charitable attitude. His only stipulation was they follow his rules.

In the meantime Daryl went to steal (or whatever you call borrowing someone elses property without their permission)
another horse again if not interrupted by Carol. Shane distributed all the guns against Ricks, Dales, and Herschels wishes, let the walkers out of the barn and then the whole group had a Turkey shoot which included blowing away Herschels wife and stepson as well as Sophia.

Which by the look of it sent Herschel into shock or traumatized him.

Perhaps Rick should ask Herschel for another chance? While their reloading?

this is realy a cliff hangar i wonder whats gona happen next half season. i dont realy blame herschel i he wants to kick them out now cause before he didnt have a reason, now he does. i dont expect him to let the survivors stay
Posted Image

Phr0z3n

Phr0z3n

Infected

• Members
  • 3 posts
Reposted from my thread on the front page...didn't see this thread.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ok, so...I'm not a cold blooded killer, a homicidal maniac, or a frustrated sexually confused teenager. That being said, if I were Rick, Herschel would have never made it out of the kitchen.

It may seem extreme, but the rules of this world have changed. Titles, ownership, technicalities etc...no longer hold any sway in a post-apocalypse world. Therefore, if I'm Rick, the moment Herschel tells me I'm out in a week, and all my friends too, he's dead. I go outside, grab Shane and Daryl, arm up, and kill Herschel, kill his remaining family, and occupy the farm from there on out. Massacre the barn occupants, tend the fields. Problem solved.

Was anyone else rooting for this to happen? Hersch and his denial have absolutely no place in a survival oriented world. His religious faith doesn't bother me, as anything that provides comfort is of value in a situation like that. But trying to stonewall a group of armed survivalists into leaving your safe haven is not realistic and puts you and your family in danger.

If he played it right, he could have had a personal security/free labor force at his disposal. Instead, his values and stubbornness have doomed him and his.

I don't know, maybe you leave the women alive for procreative purposes, but if it were me, I wouldn't leave anyone around to avenge dear old dad.

Thoughts?

Merle Dixon

Merle Dixon

Biter

• Banned
  • 2,345 posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ok, so...I'm not a cold blooded killer, a homicidal maniac, or a frustrated sexually confused teenager. That being said, if I were Rick, Herschel would have never made it out of the kitchen.

It may seem extreme, but the rules of this world have changed. Titles, ownership, technicalities etc...no longer hold any sway in a post-apocalypse world. Therefore, if I'm Rick, the moment Herschel tells me I'm out in a week, and all my friends too, he's dead. I go outside, grab Shane and Daryl, arm up, and kill Herschel, kill his remaining family, and occupy the farm from there on out. Massacre the barn occupants, tend the fields. Problem solved.

Was anyone else rooting for this to happen? Hersch and his denial have absolutely no place in a survival oriented world. His religious faith doesn't bother me, as anything that provides comfort is of value in a situation like that. But trying to stonewall a group of armed survivalists into leaving your safe haven is not realistic and puts you and your family in danger.

If he played it right, he could have had a personal security/free labor force at his disposal. Instead, his values and stubbornness have doomed him and his.

I don't know, maybe you leave the women alive for procreative purposes, but if it were me, I wouldn't leave anyone around to avenge dear old dad.

Thoughts?

i agree herschel doesnt have the survival instinct that shane/rick/daryl and other survivors have

Posted Image

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • 712 posts
  • LocationKnoxville TN
I love comments like this cause their so unfounded & would never happen. So what your saying is you hear the word no & come out with gens & murder in ur eyes? That's shanes route & as its been stated is going to get you nowhere.

Thoughts?

Mr.Misery

Mr.Misery

Roamer

• Members
  • 755 posts
  • LocationPalm Beach, FL
I really hope he's not the new Sophia the rest of the season

LurkingWalker14

LurkingWalker14

Infected

• Members
  • 1 posts
He is a very intimidating character... He's tough yet hopeful that the walkers could be redeemed and because of that it often clouds his judgement.

Merle Dixon

Merle Dixon

Biter

• Banned
  • 2,345 posts
hershel got owned by shane.....any thoughts on how shane just took over the situation????
Posted Image

Merle Dixon

Merle Dixon

Biter

• Banned
  • 2,345 posts
after episode 7 i changed my vote to just i dont like him 25/75. i used to have he needs to die soon. he showed realy good stepsin episode 7 maggie realy convinced him the old "what would jesus do" situation and i think that changed hershels mind. also when he didnt realy flip out physicaly when shane and the others were shooting the zombies also gained him some points with me. so now hes just a character i dont realy like. i say i like him 35% and dislike 65%
Posted Image

unseen

unseen

Infected

• Members
  • 5 posts

Thoughts?

I'm with you on te part that he has no place in this world. But i'm sure it's caused by his religous part, so it does bother me.
Religious people would get raped in a zombie apocalypse, they rely on their god far to much to see that their world has gone to shit.
That's why i'm so glad Shane stood up and did what had to be done. In the end he was actually right, Sophia is dead meat, so all the trouble they went to, and all the dangers they had around them where for nothing.
Hershell is just blinded and totally unusefull, quite the controary. But killing him won't do any good, it probably sets off a gun fight between "the gang" and Hershell's family.

VulpesInculta

VulpesInculta

Biter

• Banned
  • 1,181 posts
I do like and can understand Hershel as a man who's trying to protect his family, but I think he's approached many issues in a bad manner.
My safety word is blueberry pancakes

Merle Dixon

Merle Dixon

Biter

• Banned
  • 2,345 posts

I do like and can understand Hershel as a man who's trying to protect his family, but I think he's approached many issues in a bad manner.

i can accept that. but that doesnt mean i like him as a character. i see him 35% good and 65% bad
Posted Image

ashtonfrancis

ashtonfrancis

Infected

• Members
  • 2 posts
One thing I have trouble understanding is this notion of *property* that people keep bringing up.

The idea that the farm/land "belongs" to Hershel and therefore he gets to decide who is allowed to stay and how they are to behave strikes me as foolish. This is the zombie apocalypse. It's anything but business as usual, and the old rules don't apply.

That Rick "the leader" continually defers to Hershel and doing things his way (*especially* bringing in more walkers to the camp) shows that he's losing sight of the bigger picture. These people are a band of very few who are attempting to survive the zombie apocalypse, and any safe haven ought to be used. That an old man who doesn't understand the severity of the situation says "This belongs to me" and tells em to move on, and that most (if not all) of the people are willing to abide by those rules, is wack. Private property more important than the survival of the human race? Pfft. Not to say that the group hasn't made mistakes or messed up, but Hershels line of thinking ultimately ought not be respected given the circumstances.

Merle Dixon

Merle Dixon

Biter

• Banned
  • 2,345 posts

One thing I have trouble understanding is this notion of *property* that people keep bringing up.

The idea that the farm/land "belongs" to Hershel and therefore he gets to decide who is allowed to stay and how they are to behave strikes me as foolish. This is the zombie apocalypse. It's anything but business as usual, and the old rules don't apply.

That Rick "the leader" continually defers to Hershel and doing things his way (*especially* bringing in more walkers to the camp) shows that he's losing sight of the bigger picture. These people are a band of very few who are attempting to survive the zombie apocalypse, and any safe haven ought to be used. That an old man who doesn't understand the severity of the situation says "This belongs to me" and tells em to move on, and that most (if not all) of the people are willing to abide by those rules, is wack. Private property more important than the survival of the human race? Pfft. Not to say that the group hasn't made mistakes or messed up, but Hershels line of thinking ultimately ought not be respected given the circumstances.

you have a good point there. rick should fight for his place on the farm not stand by as herschel kicks him out
Posted Image

zedhatch

zedhatch

Biter

• Members
  • 490 posts

Thing is that when you begin to get into "Take what you want" you get into a very slippery slope and I think Rick understands that (He seemed to much better in the comic and event talked about it breifly).

There comes a point where the restoration of civilization is an issue, and it's really hard to justify laws and such if they are built on blood (again another moral issue later examined in the comic in relation to murder).

Rick's also much more about keeping his humanity above all else. He won't lose it like that (and even goes searching for other options, which gets the group off the farm at last so it suits the story too).

Mike010

Mike010

Infected

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationFrance

Thoughts?

+1 - I love this forum for the quality of the comments posted around.

Until episode 7, I didn't really like Hershel, I thought he was stupid.

But the Sofia scene makes me understand something.

If one of our beloved (wife, son, daugther, mother etc..) would turn into Zed, it would be hard to kill him/her. For most of us, a crazy hope of recovery/cure, will lead us to keep them somewhere.

But doing that, it would be irrational and dangereous. You expose yourself to danger. I'm sure many people turned into Zed because of this kind of thinking.

The only difference between Hershel and the majority of us, is that he's just not try to protect the Zed coming from his family.
Le French Zombie

Eric Cartman

Eric Cartman

Infected

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSalt lake city, utah
I dont like hershal much.

zombieluver

zombieluver

Infected

• Members
  • 39 posts
A crazy old man who still sees the zombies as his family.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Biter

• Members
  • 1,638 posts

Thoughts?

This is what I'd call "Shane logic." Impulsive. reckless and with zero thought to long- term consequences. Yeah, they could murder Herschell and his family and then, a week or so later a dozen or so people (with guns) show up at the farm claiming to be Herchell's extended family and want to know what the hell is going on because they haven't heard from Herschell and co. in over a week. Turns out, in fact that everyone living within a 30 mile radius is part of Herschell's extended family, they all have guns, and they know what you've done.

Remember that house Daryl found in the woods? Turns out there's a lot of them and they are all occupied by people related to Hercshell.

Edited by Deadpelican, 31 December 2011 - 03:05 AM.

gallery_1824_46_4817.jpg  

Merle Dixon

Merle Dixon

Biter

• Banned
  • 2,345 posts

This is what I'd call "Shane logic." Impulsive. reckless and with zero thought to long- term consequences. Yeah, they could murder Herschell and his family and then, a week or so later a dozen or so people (with guns) show up at the farm claiming to be Herchell's extended family and want to know what the hell is going on because they haven't heard from Herschell and co. in over a week. Turns out, in fact that everyone living within a 30 mile radius is part of Herschell's extended family, they all have guns, and they know what you've done.

Remember that house Daryl found in the woods? Turns out there's a lot of them and they are all occupied by people related to Hercshell.

sounds EXTREMELY FUCKING FAR FETCHED to me. its a zombie apocalypse herschels family isnt gona come with guns lmfao this is just ridiculous. and OBVIOUSLY that house was abandoned. killing herschel and his family would be 100% best way of survival.

however i wouldnt do that at all. the 100% best way isnt always right. the 100% suvival mode mentality would kill off carl, sophia, lori, carol, probably dale, and herschel and his family. so theyres less need for food ect. but this way is just heartless and rediculious no regard for others. youd have to be a mentally ill lunatic to do that.

Posted Image

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Biter

• Members
  • 1,638 posts

sounds EXTREMELY FUCKING FAR FETCHED to me.

So does a guy keeping walkers locked up in his barn, but that's exactly what happened. I find that lots of things sound far fetched- until they happen. That's the way life is.

The scenario I described was just one possibility out of hundreds.

And Herschell wouldn't have to tell me to leave.

I would have left whether he told me to or not.

I would not stay in one place for a prolonged period of time.

The camp site in season one was safe until it wasn't. The same goes for the farm.

There are walkers in the area, we've seen that, but so far they have been spread out. But they probably wouldn't stay that way.

Edited by Deadpelican, 31 December 2011 - 09:06 AM.

gallery_1824_46_4817.jpg  

Ananse

Ananse

Infected

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • LocationGuam
I haven't read through this thread yet so sorry if this has been addressed already!
I might be totally alone in this, but I love Herschel. His actions seem valid for someone who is in the medical field. As a healer, wouldn't his main objective be to 'cure' something? I think it would be really difficult for him to break this habit. Maybe it is difficult to rationalize with him because the series revolves around a group whose collective standpoint is as opposite of Herschels' as it could possibly get.

Merle Dixon

Merle Dixon

Biter

• Banned
  • 2,345 posts

I haven't read through this thread yet so sorry if this has been addressed already!
I might be totally alone in this, but I love Herschel. His actions seem valid for someone who is in the medical field. As a healer, wouldn't his main objective be to 'cure' something? I think it would be really difficult for him to break this habit. Maybe it is difficult to rationalize with him because the series revolves around a group whose collective standpoint is as opposite of Herschels' as it could possibly get.

still caring for zombies doesnt make me hate him, what makes me hate him is that he cares for the zombies more than he cares about the other humans and there is NO EXCEPTIONS im sorry
Posted Image

StrollingDead

StrollingDead

Lurker

• Members
  • 308 posts

still caring for zombies doesnt make me hate him, what makes me hate him is that he cares for the zombies more than he cares about the other humans and there is NO EXCEPTIONS im sorry

You mean he cares more for the sick family members, friends, and neighbors that he's lived his life among than he does
for a bunch of dangerous gun-toting barely-in-control-of-themselves refugees?

I don't particularly like Herschel, but you have to see his side. He's conservative in the full, not political, sense of the word. He lives his life among people he knows; people whose grandfather knew his grandfather. He doesn't like change, doesn't think much of the modern world or modern culture, and probably thought things were going to Hell in a handcart long before any Walkers showed up.

Again, you have to remember this world is slightly different from ours- there are no "zombies". Unlike "Shaun of the Dead" or "Zombieland", no-one says the Z-word or makes any cultural references to them.

As far as Herschel knows, he saw on TV that a new virus had broken out, and people in the city were panicking and going crazy- something thar probably wouldn't surprise him too much. Heck, people in my old hometown (Vancouver) riot over hockey games.

Remember, he's a medical man, specifically a vet. He knows about the spread of exotic diseases like Avian flu and the Ebola virus; he knows about rabies and other behavior-altering illnesses. As far as he can see, this is something like that, and, any talk about people coming back from the dead would be dismissed as superstitous nonsense believed in by a bunch of people who are panicky and scientifically-illiterate.

One thing we have to remember is our own experience of the time-frame. We've been living through this for a year; for the characters it's been weeks. As far as Herschel knows, the infected people have stabilised; nobody's getting better, but nobody's dying either. We know why (bruwahahaha), but he doesn't. Some of them may start to fight it off, somebody may show up with an acquired immunity, it may occur in an animal (Hershcel would know about the develoment of the smallpox vaccine from cowpox), or the radio may crackle to life tomorrow saying the Army Medical Corps has started setting up vaccination centers

Meanwhile he's got this half-crazed heavily-armed group camped on his land who are convinced his sick family and friends are some kind of monsters from a horror movie. No wonder he wants them gone.

The tragedy is, of course, that they're absolutely right and he is totally wrong- but he doesn't know that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!