Issue 193 Review

- - - - - walking dead end

groovemachine

groovemachine

Infected

• Members

Well, my response to #191 ended up being the way Kirkman felt as well:

http://www.roamersan...eview/?p=395606

Bravo! Thanks Kirkman/Adlard for everything!!! This is the ONLY comic that I HAD to get on release day and read immediately all these years.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Well in the review thread for 192 I said it was time to end the series because I thought that it was running out of ideas and was starting to spin its wheels. 

Seems Kirkman realized this. 

I thought it was a fitting conclusion, but thought the Carl vs. Herschell conflict was silly. The walker that Carl killed was the equivalent of a dangerous zoo animal (e.g. Tigers, bears, etc).  The zoo owner is responsible for making sure the animal is contained. 

If a dangerous animal escapes, the owner is liable.  The "legal system" was put into place not because it made sense, but because the story needed a conflict of some kind. 

Still a good issue all in all.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

Never read the comic, largely because that format has never been my thing. But I kept abreast of the key events and having done so I can say I was surprised.

I wondered if anyone still tried to use this site, since it doesn't work, so I ventured over and read the bits over the last month in here.

Makes me miss this forum.

I haven't watched any Fear this year, although I will at some point. I check in from time to time hoping our leader is OK and interested in keeping the site alive.

In any event, with the conclusion of the comic, I expect this site will truly begin to vanish.

If that's the case, farewell to you all and thanks for the debates!

Bug

Bug

Zombie Herder

• Moderators
Mosher, some of us still drop in from time to time to see if anything has improved, if anyone has posted and just to remenisce. I miss everyone.

Dead Gov Walking

Dead Gov Walking

Roamer

• Members

I enjoyed the issue, even if it felt somewhat rushed. A good ending to the series. Kinda sucks that pretty much the entire walking dead franchise ended this year, with the Telltale Series and Comic both coming to a close. Oh well, it was a good run. Both ended on a high note so that's great.

Thanks for a great series, Kirkman.

And I echo others sentiments about the end of the comic signaling the end of this site. This place was a blast in its heyday. Shame that it slowly turned into a ghost town.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.

I think my emotions have ruined the last issue. 

It was nice seeing Carl grown up but I would have thought he would be in a higher position that just a normal dude living there. 

I was happy to see that Carl and Sophia got married. 

Oh well great run its been a great 15 years reading this book. 

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

I think my emotions have ruined the last issue.

It was nice seeing Carl grown up but I would have thought he would be in a higher position that just a normal dude living there.

I was happy to see that Carl and Sophia got married.

Oh well great run its been a great 15 years reading this book.

I felt the same. I guess carl didn't want the responsibility, he also was a good carrier/messenger or the best from what everyone said.

I wanted a few issues. Maybe a couple to see the funeral. And then the last 3 ending up to 200 we saw slowly as times have changed and we could have really saw how stuff was put into place.

Do I like the ending yes. Is it rushed. Most definitely.

I feel magna and co could have had bigger roles on this comic that didn't have to be war, fight, live repeat.

However kirkman revealed is orignal idea was after the end speech of all out war we would have saw the Rick statue but everyone would have died to the dead. This is a much better to what I felt a real cynical type series.

Also those kids making fun of carl. He should have caged them found the nearest herd and let those fuckers be terrified.

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln

Sad its over. Too bad Olivia didn't survive the series  :(

Pickles312

Pickles312

Lurker

• Members

Still hard to believe it's over. I wish it was a final volume instead of issue with a bit more resolution of earlier arcs, and I wish it wasn't so sudden. I'm also mad at Kirkman for pretending for so long it would be 300 issues. But in the end, it was a satisfying ending, and in hindsight the sudden ending makes it clear that Rick Grimes was the focus of the story after all.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

I  would have thought he would be in a higher position that just a normal dude living there. 

I never liked the idea of Carl becoming a leader in the event of Rick's death, as if being Rick's son by itself  entitles him to a position of power.  To my eyes, he had never definitively demonstrated leadership ability and there was no reason to think that he belonged in a leadership position. 

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.

I never liked the idea of Carl becoming a leader in the event of Rick's death, as if being Rick's son by itself  entitles him to a position of power.  To my eyes, he had never definitively demonstrated leadership ability and there was no reason to think that he belonged in a leadership position. 

I disagree he showed all the quality's that his dad had and then he even had more balls then Rick. Hell he tried to kill Negan on his own. 

I agree with the entitlement issue but I think his knowledge of survival and how the new world worked would make him a perfect person to take charge.

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

Officer_Friendly

Officer_Friendly

Roamer

• Members

Hey, everyone.

I haven't posted on here in a while, but with the comics having ended, I wanted to come back and join in on the discussion. While I'm surprised that the zombie story that never ends finally came to an end, I'm grateful for all of the years and thoroughly satisfied with its conclusion. Thanks for giving me something to look forward to every month, Kirkman.

Also, I'm deeply saddened to see the current state of this site. Now that its days are probably numbered, I want to express my appreciation to everyone for the fantastic discussions you've contributed. I never really posted much, but I used to love logging on here and reading everyone's thoughts on the comics and television show. I especially think back fondly on the conversations I would have with JesusMonroe about the TV show and slimymeteor about The Governor novels. Hope those guys are doing well. 

Anyway, take care, Roamers and Lurkers! Thanks again.

DayLight

DayLight

Infected

• Members
I also see that this site is breaking down and I am saddened. I just rushed here to post the new Season 10 trailer and share it with everyone only to see the site is hardly funtioning. So long, Roamers and Lurkers.

TomTom

TomTom

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationSouth Africa

First thing i have to say... after reading this episode and realising about half way in this wasnt just another time jump, the first place i thought of was this forum... I started reading the comics around issue 60ish, and only got onto this forum a bit late, but I still loved the chats here, and all the banter. Thanks to all that made this place what it was, I too was sad to see the place slowly get more and more quiet, but i suppose i was part of that problem... 

Anyway... I really enjoyed the issue... At first i was really confused, and then I was like, ok wow thats a bit of a time jump, anyway, i'll get behind it... And the more i read the more i began to realise it was the end... Iv absolutely loved this series from day 1... And as much as i was surprised by the ending, it had to happen at some stage... The issue was also massive, and i see a lot of people saying the issue felt rushed, and maybe it did, but the sheer volume made me feel like it went on and on... I really enjoyed seeing how they recapped each important character, going through their story and taking it to a "completion" for lack of a better word... 

Anyway folks, its been a great ride! So long! And thanks for all the rotting flesh! 

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

Like others I hadn't realized the comic suddenly ended. I caught up on the last year of issues or so, and don't really have much to add.

Rick's death was kind of lame because nobody cares about Sebastian, he's just some one-dimensional douche. It should've had more impact. Even knowing that the comic was ending on 193 I still didn't think he was going to die in 191 because it would've been so stupid. But it happened... oh well, at least he knew it was a good choice to end it shortly after.

Anyway for the most part the last arc felt pretty fresh but I can't say I was super-engaged through the last half of the series because of the amount of breaks I took. I did like the last issue but agree the conflict felt forced. But it was still nice to see that society had moved beyond walkers. Kirkman's original ending definitely felt way too cynical for me but I can't help but think that the comic would be remembered as much phenomenally stronger had it ended in the 70s. I'm not trying to whine too much though, I just think most people would agree that there was nothing quite like the first 70 issues. 

I loved everything about Kirkman's letter, it felt very much like him to end the series suddenly and unexpectedly. I loved his insight and it's clear how much he loves the series he's worked on for most of his professional career. And while I've read the comic for almost 8 years I definitely have fonder memories of the time I spent on this site with everyone to the point where this was the first place I checked when it was all said and done. It's goddamn tragic to see the state of this place now but hey, it happens.

I appreciate the shout-out Officer_Friendly and don't know if you'll see this, but you were great. My fondest memories of this site are the creative, insightful, and hilarious ways people broke down just how terrible the TV show was. Also crazy how unimportant that all ended up being in the grand scheme of things lmao. There are so many users I want to thank for just being awesome dudes but their names are escaping me unfortunately. Definitely big shout-outs to D_Piece and RickRhymes who I do remember. I doubt you guys will see this but I do remember you! 

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!