Twd Episode 915 ~ The Calm Before ~ Review

Episode 915

The Calm Before (34 )

Episode 15 Poll

1. Excellent ~ What I love about the show (23 [67.65%] - )

67.65%

2. Good ~ Enjoyed it, but would have done some things different (9 [26.47%] - )

26.47%

3. Fair ~ It was ok (2 [5.88%] - )

5.88%

4. Poor ~ I Disappointed (0 [0.00%])

0.00%

Bug

Bug

Zombie Herder

• Moderators

The fair at the Kingdom is underway...

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
Great episode.

What I really liked is the fact they at least fought and it wasn't a cheap kill for everyone. But damn. Just that one fight scene had me like a lot of people even with very limited screen time.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Rated it excellent.  Was actually surprised by Tara's death.  I really thought she had replaced Maggie as the strong female leader at hilltop. Henry was kind of a surprise too.  I thought that he had basically replaced Carl and would follow a story arc similar to Carl's in the comic. I'm actually kind of glad that it didn't go down that way. This way it's way less predictable. 

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

ZedHead

ZedHead

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationStill waiting on a bus.

I thought for sure 

Spoiler
was going to be the last head. It had the same emotional feel as Negan killing Glenn and Abe, and that is something I have not felt from this show in awhile. I was not expecting to see Enid, Tara, and Henry.

I was actually wondering where that random dude went that came in with Magna, looks like fate is sealed. It was even creepier that Alpha was able to disguise as someone who just died. I really thought someone was going to figure out she was fake, espeically saying she as from Alexandria instead of Hilltop. I'm sure Ezekiel will blame himself for his son's death since he literally talked with Alpha.

ZedHead

ZedHead

Lurker

• Members

Also, I knew Tammy or her husband would eventually go, but it was sad to see. They were such a cute couple. (Also, walking dead literally hates any couple on the show haha)

ZedHead

ZedHead

Lurker

• Members

Last thing, I know Lauren Cohan has her own show (that actually is pretty good), but if news got to Maggie about Jesus and Tara dying, would you not think she would return to lead her people? I think Maggie's personality would do that, but I dont know if they write her back in.

cornjob

cornjob

Lurker

• Members
Somehow, I thought the show ended when Alpha sat in the theater. I deleted my recording, but realized my mistake after reading reactions and caught the rebroadcast.

Most of the deaths were filler characters, including the Highwaymen who were introduced just to have more redshirts in my opinion. I was surprised more that Jerry, Ezekiel and Rosita didn’t die, than anyone who did. Henry and Tara were unexpected. I’m glad the writers take these kinds of liberties to make their own story from the source material.

I still can’t fathom why anyone would follow Alpha and her way of life. It certainly doesn’t look like they’re taking applications right now, but I can’t really see how she could get a group to live like that.

Will Carol step up into Rick’s role as the strongest leader now? Especially with Michonne apparently scaling back after this season, someone has to carry the show. Who is left to lead Hilltop now? I agree that it’s hard to reconcile Maggie leaving/ not returning with the recent events. (Also hard to comprehend a sequence of events where Rick isn’t trying to return.) I’d almost rather they just killed those characters.

I don’t remember the name of the envoy from Oceanside, but she was awfully one-dimensional. That community could use some fleshing out. Now that the Savior threat is gone, they’d naturally want some men in their group. It would make sense for them to have a lot more interaction with the others.

I know there is one episode left, but it’s been a good season.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members

I got fucked by DirecTV Now. Show stopped at 10, only to see on Twitter later that it actually went on for another 25 minutes. I thought it was off that there was no "Next Week on The Walking Dead". The later shows looked correct in the guide, 1:25 long, so I recorded that and will have to finish it tonight.

Jgreenwood

Jgreenwood

Roamer

• Members

This episode got an excellent from me and this is the first in a LONG time to do so. 

I enjoyed the acting, the pacing, the communities coming together, and of course the big reveal was done well.

My only complaint was Enid dying...all the hotties get killed off on this show. It's terrible.

Hopefully this just means there will be more Magna going forward.

cornjob

cornjob

Lurker

• Members

I got fucked by DirecTV Now. Show stopped at 10, only to see on Twitter later that it actually went on for another 25 minutes. I thought it was off that there was no "Next Week on The Walking Dead". The later shows looked correct in the guide, 1:25 long, so I recorded that and will have to finish it tonight.

That must be what happened to my first recording. It had like a minute left (I thought) and cut to commercial, so I figured that was the end. But I saw comments about the spikes and went back and recorded it again with the rebroadcast.

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members

Same thing for me with Directv.

Partyof5

Partyof5

S-mart Employee

• Members

This felt like a season finale, but I'm glad they are doing big events like this outside of premieres and finales. My fear is that they now have another episode to kill off more characters. 

Lyrad13

Lyrad13

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationUpstate New York

Our recording cut off way early.  I thought it was a ho hum episode and was disappointed until I realized today that I missed over 20 minutes.  The 20 minutes that made it NOT ho hum.  :/

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members

I am a bit disapointed that they didn't put rosita on the pole, (can't stand show rosita and the triangle doesn't help) and that they put the Highwayman leader and his pal. I wish they included their future leader early on and that the action stay relevant. There is much to be done with them.

Glad they put Henry instead of Ezekiel. While they could have used Henry more, his role is kind of generic (and badly acted). On the other hand, i think the story need Ezekiel to deal with the aftermath of what happened. And if they do the same arc as the comics, they need someone to take over

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members

I am a bit disapointed that they didn't put rosita on the pole, (can't stand show rosita and the triangle doesn't help) and that they put the Highwayman leader and his pal. I wish they included their future leader early on and that the action stay relevant. There is much to be done with them.

Glad they put Henry instead of Ezekiel. While they could have used Henry more, his role is kind of generic (and badly acted). On the other hand, i think the story need Ezekiel to deal with the aftermath of what happened. And if they do the same arc as the comics, they need someone to take over rick's role as the one who prevent other from going to war. And Henry served his purpose to bring Lydia in.rrpo

Kind of meh about Tara\Enid, but it raises the question about who will be leading the Hilltop. (unless they take the opportunity to turn this into a plot about the power struggle)

feel more sorry about the show mauve shirt than comic mauve shirt. Those little characters were well used this season. Glad they didn't kill anyone at Magma's group so soon. They had nice developement, but they need a little more pay of.

Alpha charracter was great. Both human and terriffying. Best scene of the episode was Lydia confronting her.

Now i hope they don'T mess up with the aftermath.

Next season better be a political mess.

Jgreenwood

Jgreenwood

Roamer

• Members

Glad they put Henry instead of Ezekiel. While they could have used Henry more, his role is kind of generic (and badly acted). On the other hand, i think the story need Ezekiel to deal with the aftermath of what happened. And if they do the same arc as the comics, they need someone to take over

I am also disappointed in not seeing rosita on a pole....

Zpoc

Zpoc

S-mart Employee

• Members

Holy crap - by the reviews I think my DVR ripped me off!!  My show ended with momma sitting next to Lydia in the theater.  I need to go watch the ending.

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationChicago area

Wow.

This one was an across the board excellent. I mean- a real amazing start to finish in every way episode.

I was crazy tickled pink to see secondary characters get depth (like they always do) right before being killed in Hilde and her husband...but it was so well done! We didn't get a drawn out attempt to make us care, just a quick history with a connection and a wish we could have seen a little more, followed by them being the method used to infiltrate. Boom! Perfect lead in to the episode. Not over or under done.

It ran more or less linearly, a critical component we missed until this season. Easy to follow and enjoyable to watch.

No mistakes or silliness about who is doing what and how. Straight forward and realistic concerns about the individual locations and what happens next. Lydia was the focus of concern, but the right choices were made and reacted to by the right people in the right ways. Watching the Faire get underway was a real pleasure- and although as always I knew it would lead to tragedy it was done very well.

Watching the teens bully Lydia a little was more a red herring than anything else, and watching her reaction and how Henry made it better was touching.

I was able to track Alpha because I knew what to look for hair wise, but honestly had we not gotten the prologue I would not have recognized her until she spoke. It was an obvious red flag when she did, except Ezekiel had no frame of reference to pin it to, and therefore no reason to be concerned.

I figured Henry for a goner when the pipe blew, so no surprises there for me. Alpha joining Lydia for the movie either. I did notice the absence of the Highwaymen during the film, and it struck me as odd given the nature of their deal.

Alpha's talk with her daughter was every little twist of every little knife in both of their hearts. Again, very well done. I was very worried Lydia would be killed (like Daryl was) and seeing Alpha's reaction on the top of the rocks indicated how little we recognize in her complex feelings and emotions.

The capture of the community leaders seemed a little too Negan at first, especially after Beta's warning notice that no one having to die was off the table. I was worried about that. It was a real pleasure to see it done right.

The big horde and the ultimatum was also really well done. This was her masterful negotiating. She doesn't want what the communities have. She doesn't want her daughter back. She is giving them a clear line and showing them she has the abilities and power to back them unconditionally. I have no doubt she will continue as an Alpha, requiring eventually an attack on one of the communities or more, but for now she has shown them that they have already lost the war, so it is better not to fight.

and the ending. WOW. Top of the line excellent. Sophia in the barn taken to a more amazing level. Not just second stringers and unknown extras, not a Negan ridiculous action. Contemplated, powerful, simple. That's where Henry went (yeah-like I said, I knew he was gone, but how was important). That's why the Highwaymen weren't at the movies (and a big Wow to the rescue battle, in fact). The rest were surprises as we panned down the pikes, with no lead in or warning as to who was next or why. The short flashback's from the evening before only shows the confusion, but not the terror or the panic when Lydia told the King what happened and (presumably) the missing people start getting reported. Wow.

We lost some amazing people in that capture and kill. Tara, Enid, Highwaymen, Tammy...did the Whisperer Baby get taken back too, or is she still safe? Just wow.

Then we see the Highwaymen rescue battle and how our people resisted as told by the Doctor. Another out of the park win. No fake eye popping, no brutality on screen. Just seeing how bravely they fought and knowing already how it ends. There was no need to show more and everyone on the production crew knew it. Epic win.

Daryl and Lydia saying good bye to Henry afterwards was great- along with the first snowflakes of the season melting on her necklace.

This episode was perfect in a way the show has been missing for a LONG time. It was excellent beginning to end for me.

Seriously. Flawless.

"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members

I just read on the wikia that the actors playing Sophia, the "young" and "old" Henry were all siblings.

Meaning that Carol "children" were played by siblings. And she mourned them all.

Partyof5

Partyof5

S-mart Employee

• Members

I am also disappointed in not seeing rosita on a pole....

So many directions to take that, especially given her current situation. ;)

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationChicago area

I just re watched, the baby was with Tammy's husband in the flashback, so it's alive and well at the Kingdom.

Alpha wasn't kidding, those who were left or abandoned aren't important enough to go back for.

We lost some amazing people in that capture and kill. Tara, Enid, Highwaymen, Tammy...did the Whisperer Baby get taken back too, or is she still safe? Just wow.

"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

remmdog

remmdog

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationCT

Solid episode, I just went with good, just didn't feel as "gut" wrenching as when i read the comic.  The deaths were all pretty irrelevant except for Enid and Henry. 

I'm glad they didn't end the season with the pikes, which would have stunk waiting to see the response for a full year.  I'm looking forward to next week to see the reaction. I think this season may be my top season so far with Michonne, Darryl and Carol really stepping up in place of Rick.  I can't wait to see how Negan is going to fit in here and how they change up the Carl pieces for the show. 

I'm torn on Zeek making it through, his character has really grown on me.  This season is fresh compared to the other with actual lighthearted fun and joy on top of the bleak moments... its been a breath of fresh air watching.   

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members
I went with exellent if only for the opening with “anniversary couple.” One actually cared about them after only a few minutes. Also, fir the pikes reveal—one of the best scenes of the series imo.

Siddiques speach about how the captives went down like the Greeks at Thermopylae was a bit much for me. Kind of makes me suspect he was lying to the crowed creating a heroic myth of self sacrifice for the group.

Anyway, great season thus far.

cornjob

cornjob

Lurker

• Members

We'll see how they choose to end the season, but I feel like Angela Kang has more respect for her audience than the crew that brought us Dumpstergate or the season-long wait for who Negan killed with Lucille. The tempo of the story-telling feels more natural and works a LOT better. They can set the table for next season in this last episode, without having to resort to a big cliff-hanger. 

Angela seems to have more confidence in her storytelling, letting the story itself be what draws the audience, not gimmicks. And thank goodness for that. 

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members

So many directions to take that, especially given her current situation. ;)

I hope you guys got what i meant. Not a native english speaker.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!