Photo

Twd Episode 913 ~ Chokepoint ~ Review

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Chokepoint Review (26 member(s) have cast votes)

episode 913 poll

1. Excellent ~ What I love about this show. (6 votes [23.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

2. Good ~ I liked it, but would have preferred some things done differently. (18 votes [69.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

3. Fair ~ It was ok. (2 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

4. Poor ~ Disappointing (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Bug

Bug

Zombie Herder

• Moderators
  • 8,698 posts

Alpha unleashes a group to retrieve Lydia.  The plans of the Kingdom to reunite the communities is put in jeopardy.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,390 posts
  • LocationOhio
Decent episode. I just hope the highway men aren't part of the whisperers. I can't help but think they may be.

However, if they aren't. This is gonna be interesting.

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • 1,292 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln

Season 9 is soooo good compared to 7 and 8. Sucks that most of the fanbase on this board left, because the show is actually good again!! 

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • 2,550 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Voted good.  The highwaymen were a weird plot twist that I'm not sure what to make of. It's the kind of thing that's easy to introduce, but sustaining and developing them is another matter. 

I'm thinking they could become  an important part of the story or they could be forgotten and never mentioned again after 3-4 episodes. But as it stands right now, they are interesting. 

And Beta. Holy shit Beta. He is one scary S.O.B.

On the whole I enjoyed the episode. 

It falls just short of excellent because the   Beta vs. Daryl fight- which was teased in the preview- more or less ended exactly as I expected it to.

Daryl and Beta fight, but they both survive leaving unfinished business and an inevitable future conflict. 

Edited by Deadpelican, 11 March 2019 - 01:06 PM.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members
  • 524 posts
1) kill the Whisperers. Kill them all, root and branch.

2) The Whisperers are perhaps the best bad guys the show has ever had.

3) The Highwaymen would be mighty handy as allies.

4) Did anyone get the sense that Tara recognized the head highwayman?

ZedHead

ZedHead

Lurker

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationStill waiting on a bus.

I really loved this episode, Kang keeps doing it right. Even the episodes that are "fillers" to some people (not this one), they still have that sense of fear to me that keeps me on edge. I noticed after every episode this season, I let out a huge exhale because Ive been holding my breath the entire episode haha.

Only thing that bothered me a bit was when the Hilltop crew got stuck and the older lady was surrounded in the cart. How did she jump out so quickly to save her husband? I keep waiting for one to get bit (I thought he did in the arm tbh), but they are a sweet older couple that this show really hasn't seen.

I think the franchise is learning that you dont need big stars to run this show. Just good writing. People love a good zombie show. In Fear the Walking Dead, a lot of people didnt like the cast in the beginning but it grew on them because the writing got better in Season 3. Gimple then destroyed in it season 4 like 7 & 8 in TWD. People come to watch the zombies, not a constant human vs. human fight. Thats what makes the shows different and thats why this season is great. It went back to its roots.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,390 posts
  • LocationOhio
Also for once it was nice to see Daryl scared. The moment he saw Beta you could see the oh shit in his eyes. Normally we get angry looking Daryl. I'm glad they did that for a change.

xpoc454

xpoc454

Infected

• Members
  • 75 posts

Almost excellent for a filler episode.

The only part i didnt like was the kids scene with lydia and the boy who I can never remember his name.  I actually fast forward the dvr thru that part.

The darryl fight was pretty good.  I like the fact that they both seem to have found there equal in smarts and fighting.

Hopefully now realizes if he sees a 7 ft zombie and the rest are short, you shoot at the tall one in the crowd :)

The stupid moments of the show were limited this time.  Which is always a pleasant surprise.

The biggest moment was leaving a old couple with a baby to be protected by a few teenagers?  Than run off a 1/4 mile to fight some zombies.

I would have to say my favorite part was the introduction of the highwaymen.  For once a group of people who arent blatant killers and can be reasoned with.  What a new concept!

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 2,175 posts

Voted Good.

Highwaymen seem interesting, but I fear they are to be mere cannon fodder for the upcoming fight.

Spoiler

They may serve the same purpose as Oceanside did for the fight with Negan: extra warriors for the battle but once it's over slip away into storyline obscurity.

Beta is awesome. He's not just a big brute either. He's smart and tactical, which he showed leading up to, and during, the fight with Daryl.

I hope Daryl and Connie get together. Now that he's getting his first character development since season 2, he should be with someone. Yes, I'm shipping.

Partyof5

Partyof5

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 137 posts

Good this week.  One stupid decision kept it from being excellent.  I can buy into the idea of going up into a building for the "higher ground" reason, especially since Connie had been there before and had supplies there.  What I cannot justify is Daryl taking out 1 walker with his bow and not trying to take out Beta while they are out in the open on the ground.  Lydia could easily point out Beta for Daryl.  It really stuck out as dumb with all the other strategic elements in the episode.  

Jgreenwood

Jgreenwood

Roamer

• Members
  • 527 posts

Good episode.

Felt actual tension during Beta's assault on the group. That hasn't been true of a villain in a long time for me.

Highwaymen seem interesting but I suspect as somebody else said that they're just here to be redshirts.

Still not enough Magna to rate it excellent though...Maybe next week.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 2,175 posts

Still not enough Magna to rate it excellent though...Maybe next week.

Love Magna. She's hot, and she's already more interesting than she ever was in the comic. She needs to made a main character soon. They've done well with the character so far.

Shape430

Shape430

Infected

• Members
  • 51 posts

Good episode but a few things bothered me.

First one being Daryl not trying to shoot more of the zombies from the window, specifically Beta. Not only was Beta looking right at him after he shot the first walker, but even IF Daryl somehow didn't clearly see the 7 foot walker staring straight at him, he could have had Lydia point him out like someone else mentioned. He was informed about Beta and knew he was coming, and also that he was the real threat. It seemed rather dumb on his part not to do this just for the sake of plot.

My second gripe was the scene with the highwaymen. I like the idea of them, I even liked the idea of trying to recruit them to help protect against walkers/the whisperers. What I didn't like was how the thing to sway them into joining was "how long has it been since you've seen a movie!?". It was just....really stupid. These guys clearly seemed desperate and wanted food/supplies. So much so they were about to kill them/take them hostage for it, and what sways them is a movie lol? I'm sorry, that was just really stupid to me.

My third gripe was Beta surviving/still being able to walk after that fall. Was it a surprise? No. Was it really silly and pretty unrealistic? Yes. I really enjoy his character, I liked how he was just busting through walls and using his size to throw Daryl around like some kind of crazy berserker in their fight. But that shaft was a big ass drop, he should not be getting right back up after that. Especially since it looked like he just fell straight on his back/head, and there was even blood coming out of his head lol. Then again this sort of thing happens all the time in TWD, so idk wth I'm complaining about or why it bothered me so much lol.

Other then that though it was a good episode. I actually enjoyed the scenes between Henry and Lydia. I think their "romance" is probably the least cringey and least forced we've seen on this show personally. It's certainly a hell of a lot better then "sleeps around" Rosita and her love triangle garbage lol. I also like Lydia as a character, she's much more interesting then most of the other newer characters. Heck shes more interesting then some of the older ones too (cough Tara cough). Also I don't find Henry annoying as a lot of others do. NOW Judith is annoying. She's like pre season 3 Carl annoying. Really glad we haven't had to see much of her in the past few episodes.

Oh and of course the fight between Beta and Daryl was the highlight of the episode, very entertaining. Like someone else said it was fun to see Daryl actually look worried for a second, and actually struggle and be overpowered. I really liked that he had to out smart Beta to win. And as much as I disliked Beta just standing back up after his fall, I am still really looking forward to seeing more of him.

Edited by Shape430, 11 March 2019 - 03:24 PM.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • 2,550 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

My third gripe was Beta surviving/still being able to walk after that fall. Was it a surprise? No. Was it really silly and pretty unrealistic? Yes. 

Yeah that is one of the things that kept me from voting excellent.   It was pretty much exactly what I predicted: epic boss fight between Daryl and Beta where nobody wins and Beta walks away.

Edited by Deadpelican, 12 March 2019 - 12:21 AM.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

MrPoe

MrPoe

Infected

• Members
  • 16 posts

Some of you guys haven't watched too many "fail" videos on Youtube. That was at best a 2 story drop. And Beta has the equivalent of a leather football helmet on. Not as good, but it's something. And he clearly has a high pain tolerence.

gilbert

gilbert

Infected

• Members
  • 50 posts

First no romance please, let it be off camera and something thats inferred, yes the Whisperers great adidition, still not feeling it with Lydia.  Highwaymen, since Tara did look like she recognized the leader, I have to wonder if they were part of the Govenors group, cause she looked suprised, thinking everyone died.  Just my 2 cents

How do I delete a post? the two above were oops, thanks

Edited by gilbert, 11 March 2019 - 07:28 PM.

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members
  • 444 posts

Clearly not the same cause, but in the comics, Beta receives an injury that doesn't kill him, but seriously weaken him for the rest of his appearances. Maybe they would do the same here.

I hope that the highwaymen will have the same role as the saviors led by Sherry in the comics. The best part of the whisperers in the comics wasn't the whisperers themselves, but the political mess they create within and between the communities after the fair. I hope they keep that in the show.

(In any case, i don't think the highwaymen are permanently recruited. They are most likely taking advantage of the trade they can do during the fair and will resume their hostility once it is over. Especially if they suffer casualties.)

PS: Seeing some other comments, i would like to point out that i consider season 3 to be the absolute lowest point of the show...

Edited by naossano, 11 March 2019 - 08:28 PM.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,390 posts
  • LocationOhio

My second gripe was the scene with the highwaymen. I like the idea of them, I even liked the idea of trying to recruit them to help protect against walkers/the whisperers. What I didn't like was how the thing to sway them into joining was "how long has it been since you've seen a movie!?". It was just....really stupid. These guys clearly seemed desperate and wanted food/supplies. So much so they were about to kill them/take them hostage for it, and what sways them is a movie lol? I'm sorry, that was just really stupid to me.

I think that there was more than just the movie. It was opening talks. Carol is great at blending in. Look at the first time she went to Alexandria, She acted like she was a clumsy older woman who just seemed like she didn't have it together.

Same thing when she ran into some saviors she just seemed like she was scared, then again she didn't want to kill anymore.

Edited by Mr. NomNom, 12 March 2019 - 12:31 AM.

Nareen

Nareen

Biter

• Members
  • 864 posts
  • LocationCanada

I really liked this episode and might have rated it excellent except for two things:

1) Daryl obviously setting up a mano-a-mano boys’ fight between himself and Beta by not shooting Beta in the head as the Whisperers approached.  Even if he didn’t trust Lydia to identify or just describe him, it was pretty obvious that the huge guy looking up from the middle of the walker pack was the leader.   It seems that the writers want to have a Rick and Negan type nemesis arc with periodic inconclusive slug fests until the ultimate fight, which Daryl will win. 

2) Beta surviving the multi-storey fall down the elevator shaft with apparently nothing more than a bloody mouth .  I was hoping he was dead.  He’s a good enough villain but pretty standard. The actor playing him was quite charming and funny on TD and claimed to have a crush on Melissa McBride.. 

For the rest, I liked the Highwaymen and their western vibe.  It’s refreshing to meet a group who may be shady but are not psycho murderers, but we’ll see if that turns out to be true. I loved how Carol read the initial situation and urged a diplomatic approach, then surveyed the Highwaymen themselves and recognized that what they probably want is a home. She doesn’t just kill everyone. I heard somewhere that the Highwaymen’s list of demands was posted online and included seeds and 50 books (no romances). Presumably that informed Carol’s attitude and if we had learned about that sometime in the episode, the whole negotiation would have made more sense.

I’ve read some comic spoilers and I fear that

Spoiler

I liked the fight between the Whisperers and our heroes, with everyone using their individual skills.  Connie has become interesting, unlike her fellows, except maybe Yumiko.    Dog saved Henry and also survived, yay.

Lydia made it clear that she cares about Henry, doesn’t want to kill, and doesn’t wish to be a Whisperer but also doesn’t want to get anyone else hurt.

Loved the ZA baby carrier – the chest with airholes.  Genius.  The baby’s cries are muffled and it’s protected from the walkers.    We saw that the old couple and the teenagers were effective walker slayers, though the woman and the girl were better than the guys.   Go Tammy Rose and Addy!  It seemed silly that the baby was going to the fair until we learned that they were looking for a forever home for him.

I laughed as the Highwaymen tore up to the Hilltoppers and threw themselves off their horses and into the zombie slaying.  Tara and the lead Highwayman did look at each other intently but what it means I have no idea.

We saw a strange, poignant and revealing scene early on when the dying young man was comforted by Beta with Whisperer philosophy, only to have his walker shell put down within hours by Daryl's arrow.

Another good episode in a generally much improved season.

Edited by Nareen, 12 March 2019 - 02:38 PM.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 2,175 posts

We saw a strange, poignant and revealing scene early on when the dying young man was comforted by Beta with Whisperer philosophy, only to have his walker shell put down within hours by Daryl's arrow.

Another good episode in a generally much improved season.

That small bit of dialogue certainly gave us insight on how the Whisperers view walkers. They don't see them as a threat in the same way, and becoming one isn't seen as a bad thing. The walkers are part of their army, so when you die you're still in the same army, just in a different capacity. 

Longs

Longs

Infected

• Members
  • 17 posts

Voted Good. Some thoughts...

Where did the Highwaymen come from?  It appeared that they had managed to steal a fair amount of stuff, if they've been around and in the area between communities, wouldn't they have already been known to be out there?  I liked that they weren't "pure evil" and I liked Carol's ability to figure out what would interest them, and that they could potentially integrate into one of the communities.

The Whisperers are creepy and Alpha's a psycho but we haven't seen them to be extraordinary fighters, with the exception of Beta.  They initially had the element of surprise but now people know to watch the hands since they mostly only have knives, and kill at arm's length.  They were pretty easily defeated in the building by a chick with a slingshot, a kid with a stick, and Daryl.  Just isolate them or expose them as they did on the covered bridge with an arrow to the leg, and "the Guardians" go right after them.

The fight between Daryl and Beta was good but it seemed like Beta could have just killed Daryl when he had Daryl's neck over the table saw.  Good trick to push Beta down the elevator shaft, he seemed to realize his peril at the last minute when he saw the buttons but it was too late.  Although he didn't "sit up" like the Undertaker, he seemed to lie there for a long time, there's no way he falls a couple of stories and doesn't have a major injury landing on the elevator, and no, the "skin helmet" would not protect him.  It also seems like they should have tried to take out a few more of the approaching walkers before they reached the building, including Beta.  Wouldn't they have asked Lydia how to ID him... tall guy, long leather coat? 

Henry and Lydia's infatuation is entirely too rushed; she wouldn't overcome years of brainwashing that easily.  I have no interest in seeing them kissing on screen.

Lyrad13

Lyrad13

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

I am really enjoying this season. I agree with a lot of what has been said.  But I do think if Daryl had been able to identify Beta right away and then easily took him out from a balcony,  there would just be a different kind of dissatisfaction with that whole situation.   I was actually wondering how that was going to play out.  Hand to hand Daryl just doesn't seem to be a match for Beta.  But the trickery and coming at him from behind is believable for me in that , I feel you have to be a bit underhanded to take down someone like Beta.

I like that he is not dead though.  And I didn't feel that he got right up.  He struggled ...and after laying there for a bit. 

I have reached the end of my patience for Henry.  Everywhere he goes he just F's things up and makes matters worse. 

It's time for him to look at the flowers.  

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationChicago area

I thought it was really Good. NOT as close to excellent as last week, but this season has really been the refreshing I need for the series.

Lots of likes, not a lot of dislikes. A few surprises.

The Daryl/ Beta conflict. The plan to secure themselves defensively against the Whisperers was well thought out and prepared, even so far as to leave an opening for them to get in that isn't air tight. Channel, contain, take out. Of course Beta knows what it is, but he is still going in. Bad @$$. Daryl's decision to shoot an obvious walker was also planned and deliberate. More TV than reality but the concept is the same. To destroy by lucky shot Beta risks the others in the group becoming enraged and attacking in a manner they can't manage, or allowing the 'cheap shot' excuse to make him a symbol to rally around. Daryl wanted him to be killed in combat against a better, so the group remaining alive would think twice about continuing to harass the heroes. I have no doubt he knew exactly who Beta was, or at least had a strong idea. Killing the walker is issuing a challenge, throwing down a gauntlet. Machismo. Otherwise more traps in the stairwell would have been in order. Daryl wanted him dead and defeated and felt he could do it. He'll think twice now that Beta is still alive. Daryl is wily and smart, but physically overmatched and Beta is at least as fast and skilled. In short- a fun set of scenes and set up for combat that was tense and still refreshing.

The ending of the fight wasn't too bad. Beta tumbles but a single drop for a floor or so might not hurt him that bad, just knock him cold for awhile. Hell, he might have been cut on the head on the way down. I am surprised Daryl didn't pop him with an arrow in the shaft while he was down there, just to be sure. That was maybe my gripe- not following up and assuming Beta was toast.

Henry is hurt in a way that Rick had plot armor against, but it's 6 years later and I doubt antibiotics are flourishing. I do have a little more trust for Lydia for helping Henry and releasing Dog, but she knows that, aside from a beating, she'll remain safe from Whisperers as long as Alpha is in charge, so her pot commitment isn't there as much as everyone else's is. Everyone is fighting FOR her, she isn't fighting for anything. Gotta watch that.

The Highwaymen was a short lived but interesting group to play with. Carol read the party in a way they probably wouldn't have been read pre-Negan. She definitely locked in on a deal that I really wouldn't have thought of, and they went for it. I expected a Carol bloodbath but got a surprisingly positive outcome for the story which worked for the characters as well as the World they are in! Very happy there. The subsequent rescue for Tara's group was fun and westernish, although she accepted them at their word a little fast given the circumstances. I also thought the old guy took a bite, but I guess not. Of course, how the highwaymen haven't met Whisperers or any other lurking bad people is really a tough bite, given their relative proximity. It's also a little soon for the group to just move in after the Negan remnants went up against Carol, IMHO. Still, they can be a fun addition to the show.

"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

BitBrit

BitBrit

Survivor

• Members
  • 2,982 posts
  • LocationNorth West England
I voted excellent. This episode really held my attention and had me holding my breath too.
I agree with above in why questioning why the group didn't take more of the walkers out before they got to the building but the search and fighting inside was great. Regarding Betas fall, would all his leather act like motorbike leathers and protect him somehow (clutches at straws)? And I like Connie and Daryl together, they work well.

I enjoyed Carol persuading the group not to kill the highway men and agree Tara appeared to recognise the leader. The kingdom clearly still have hunting skills even if they don't want to use them.

I thought the older man with the baby might have been scratched as he got taken down?

Looking forward to the fair. Albeit with some dread.

Bug

Bug

Zombie Herder

• Moderators
  • 8,698 posts

First no romance please, let it be off camera and something thats inferred, yes the Whisperers great adidition, still not feeling it with Lydia.  Highwaymen, since Tara did look like she recognized the leader, I have to wonder if they were part of the Govenors group, cause she looked suprised, thinking everyone died.  Just my 2 cents

How do I delete a post? the two above were oops, thanks

Done.

As for the episode, it was good, but I have to agree that some of it was predictable. The saving grace is that we're actually talking about the show again. I think I'm enjoying the posts about as much the show. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!