Photo

The Walking Dead Season 909 ~ Adaptation ~ Review

Adaptation Review

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: Adaptation Review (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Adaptation Poll

1. excellent ~ what I love about this show (9 votes [39.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.13%

2. good ~ while i enjoyed the show, there are things I would have liked done differently (12 votes [52.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.17%

3. fair ~ it was ok (2 votes [8.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

4. poor ~ I was disappointed (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Bug

Bug

Zombie Herder

• Moderators
  • 8,258 posts

The group unmasks a disturbing and dangerous new threat.  An Escaped captive revisits his past.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,379 posts
  • LocationOhio
It's funny that a show without some of it's main stars is still doing a good job on storytelling.

The story is moving at a decent pace. Moving fast and not dragging out. Pairing people together and trying to develop chemistry while using a little humor is a nice change.

Finding a way to implement the new characters off the bat is being done pretty well.

The whisperers in the show seem like they are going to be more trouble and more dangerous than the comic. At this point I wish AOW could have been maybe a season/ season and a half? and the whisperers could have been 2 seasons.

You'd have room to do some interesting backstories on them and how they got to where they are.

What they are doing with Negan is interesting and judith is far becoming one of the better characters already with her development. (Kang should have taken over ages ago)

All in all I believe this show has been better this season then the past 3-4 seasons. However, people just jumped off the wagon because it's been bad. I don't blame them. So many filler episodes left people bored and the series dragged out.

I only tuned in to see how they would do the whisperers. So far I'm happy with what's going on. Hopefully it keeps up.

Edited by Mr. NomNom, 11 February 2019 - 11:22 AM.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Gave it an excellent.

Looks like they are giving Carl's story to Henry. Meh, but what choice do they have? What a horrible decision that was to kill Carl.

I like NomNom's comment about the storytelling being good despite the loss of main characters. I agree. We see it in movies all the time. Stars can't save bad writing. Good writing is interesting and entertaining no matter who the actors/characters are. The show is unquestionably better than it had been.

xpoc454

xpoc454

Infected

• Members
  • 73 posts

Gave it a good.  

Main reason was the escape scenario of Negan was a little stupid.  

Nobody guards posted to notice a person walking around?

The security of the jail system seems to need an update.

Also, I know it has been said before. But Judy carrying that large of a gun is a little much.

I was seriously waiting for her to get tired and drop it when she pointed it at Negan. Hell that gun is a quarter her weight.  :)

I liked the Negan going back to the factory story and the fact that Darryl was clever enough to set up the conversation between Lydia and Horny Henry.

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members
  • 521 posts
I quite like this episode—and the entire tone of the series since Kang took over. It is grittier and more realistic than the latter Gimple years, especially the whole A Team/Negan arc.

As others have said, that gun is really too much for Judith.

Still, the show is looking up!

Jgreenwood

Jgreenwood

Roamer

• Members
  • 522 posts

Gave it a good.

Enjoying how they're using Daryl. I was afraid when Rick left that the transition would seem forced, but it is being handled very naturally imo. 

Negan just walking around and climbing a fence in the middle of the day with only Judith around to notice him kind of bothered me but from a story standpoint I guess it made sense.

Magna and her shirt continue to impress.

Partyof5

Partyof5

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 133 posts

The Whispers brought me back to this show.  I almost missed last night as I didn't realize when it was coming back. I skipped most of the first half of S9.  They lost me after Carl died, and I only came back for a few pieces like Rick's final episode and the mid-season finale because I knew who was coming and it sounded interesting.

This is soooo much better than when I left after Carl's death.  AOW latest way too long.  I still wish Rick and Carl would be here for this, but I didn't miss them until after the episode and I started thinking about.  Things are finally moving along at a better pace. 

One thing I don't like is that they still do some really dumb things.  Negan just walks around taking his time to escape and the only one that caught on is the 10 year old.  They take a whisperer prisoner but leave the mask and weapon behind to make it easy for the rest of her group to figure out she's been taken.  

I kinda got the impression that Daryl and Henry set up the prisoner with the good cop/bad cop, but I'm not sure.  That would have been a smart move as a way to get her to talk to Henry.  

If I ever re-watch the entire series I think I may skip from the S7 premiere where Glenn gets the bat right to the end of AOW where Negan is captured, and then skip again to the time jump.  Most everything else in between is not anything I want or need to watch ever again.  

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • 2,543 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Voted excellent. I'll say  it again: Angela Kang as show runner has been a big improvement.  I wish they had given her the position before Gimple had run the show into the ground and lost so many viewers. 

Killing Carl feels even more bone headed now.  Henry has obviously taken on Carl's role and doing an okay job I  guess, but just what the hell was the point? 

Negan's story here was interesting.  Glad to see the men's store had some leather jackets in stock.  Maybe I wasn't paying attention in earlier episodes, but I'm really not clear on what happened to Sanctuary. 

I remember that Rick was trying to get the communities to work together building a bridge, but things weren't going so well. But I don't remember seeing Sanctuary getting wiped out and I don't remember them explaining it. Maybe I missed something. 

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

Voted excellent. I'll say  it again: Angela Kang as show runner has been a big improvement.  I wish they had given her the position before Gimple had run the show into the ground and lost so many viewers. 

Killing Carl feels even more bone headed now.  Henry has obviously taken on Carl's role and doing an okay job I  guess, but just what the hell was the point? 

Negan's story here was interesting.  Glad to see the men's store had some leather jackets in stock.  Maybe I wasn't paying attention in earlier episodes, but I'm really not clear on what happened to Sanctuary. 

I remember that Rick was trying to get the communities to work together building a bridge, but things weren't going so well. But I don't remember seeing Sanctuary getting wiped out and I don't remember them explaining it. Maybe I missed something. 

Other than Negan's walk around ALX without anyone seeing him but Judith, I thought his adventure was well done. This was a guy experiencing the outside world for the first time in 7-8 years, so everything was kind of new to him again, and JDM did a great job conveying that.

Side note: according to Nicotero, the clearing where Negan was on his knees getting sick was the same clearing where Glenn and Abraham got their heads bashed in. They even did the same overhead angle.

Jgreenwood

Jgreenwood

Roamer

• Members
  • 522 posts

The Whispers brought me back to this show.  I almost missed last night as I didn't realize when it was coming back. I skipped most of the first half of S9.  They lost me after Carl died, and I only came back for a few pieces like Rick's final episode and the mid-season finale because I knew who was coming and it sounded interesting.

This is soooo much better than when I left after Carl's death.  AOW latest way too long.  I still wish Rick and Carl would be here for this, but I didn't miss them until after the episode and I started thinking about.  Things are finally moving along at a better pace. 

One thing I don't like is that they still do some really dumb things.  Negan just walks around taking his time to escape and the only one that caught on is the 10 year old.  They take a whisperer prisoner but leave the mask and weapon behind to make it easy for the rest of her group to figure out she's been taken.  

I kinda got the impression that Daryl and Henry set up the prisoner with the good cop/bad cop, but I'm not sure.  That would have been a smart move as a way to get her to talk to Henry.  

If I ever re-watch the entire series I think I may skip from the S7 premiere where Glenn gets the bat right to the end of AOW where Negan is captured, and then skip again to the time jump.  Most everything else in between is not anything I want or need to watch ever again.  

Them not being there is kind of making the episodes more interesting to me. This is the first big threat we've had to see the group deal with without the almighty Rick and I'm intrigued to see how it plays out.

DaniB7

DaniB7

Lurker

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

So funny story.  My friend that I watch WD with just moved into a house three doors down from me about a month ago.  Last night after watched WD and TD I left and headed home.  It was so foggy on my street that I could hardly see around me!  Then I started hearing the leaves rustling and I got completely freaked out.  All I could see in my head was that last scene with the Whisperers surrounding Luke and what's his name, I called my friend up and made her stay on the phone with me until I had gotten into the house.  

It's been a really long time since WD has freaked me out like that.  I voted excellent.  In my opinion, the show and Greg Nicotero have done an excellent job of making the Whisperers very scary!

UnlimitedAmmo

UnlimitedAmmo

Infected

• Members
  • 5 posts

The whisperers are interesting, but they generate a lot of questions

- How do they eat?

- How do they drink?

- Where do they sleep?

Wandering with the dead for a short term is great, not sure of the long term logistics and communications

Just curious, why not live on the second floor, avoid the wandering dead??

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • LocationChicago area

I thought it was good. It was short of Excellent, but just short.

Negan's arc was kind of here and there. I enjoyed watching the character, and he's more real now than he was in his comic villain phase, but it still seemed a little too plot armor for him to go through his little faked catharsis and end up back where he started from. It was well done and okay written, but still a little out of place with the rest of the story happening around him.

I didn't see the point of the Eugene disappointment thing. It wasn't quite in sync with the story either.

Good to see our characters reacting to the Whisperers realistically, setting up the scout group and ambushing them, then taking a prisoner. The Whisperers have great potential for being the bad guys, provided the writer's don't get too excited and put everything out there at once. The captured one didn't sell me. Nothing about her tears or attitude or answers were real. I think Daryl knew how that was going to go down. Henry wasn't in on the bad cop/good cop routine. Daryl knew how he would act and what he would do. Daryl's face didn't really change during his change of heart. There was no 'moment' or realization of what he was doing. He set up the charade so Henry would unintentionally get information out of her afterwards. I wouldn't trust what she shares with him either, but at least Daryl knew that Henry had the same amount of guile as Glenn did in season one.

A lot about it was really good, just shy of Excellent. It was a good start to the rest of the season. It seemed more real this episode, TWD needed that.

"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

Sportscow

Sportscow

Infected

• Members
  • 16 posts
I liked the fact that Daryl shot them in the legs to work out who was human. Good quick thinking and an excellent payoff when the Whisperer was promptly eaten!

A cracking start to this batch of episodes. Loved the arrow trail leading to being surrounded. Nice and creepy!

xpoc454

xpoc454

Infected

• Members
  • 73 posts

The whisperers are interesting, but they generate a lot of questions

- How do they eat?

- How do they drink?

- Where do they sleep?

Wandering with the dead for a short term is great, not sure of the long term logistics and communications

I would wholly agree. This is my big problem with the whisperers.  It isn't very logical at all. The writers are going to have to make an attempt to explain some of this to help me believe they are much of a realistic entity.

Jgreenwood

Jgreenwood

Roamer

• Members
  • 522 posts

I liked the fact that Daryl shot them in the legs to work out who was human. Good quick thinking and an excellent payoff when the Whisperer was promptly eaten!

A cracking start to this batch of episodes. Loved the arrow trail leading to being surrounded. Nice and creepy!

Shooting them in the head would've accomplished the same goal though.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,379 posts
  • LocationOhio

During Rick'last episode some saviors took guns some died. After the time jump we learned that the saviors fell apart and most of them joined other communities, while a handful just basically traveled around.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,379 posts
  • LocationOhio

Wanted to see if the whisperers were still around. Plus. The screaming distracted the walkers easy for kills. Shooting them in the head or just trying to fight them all out right you don't know what is what.

DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead

Biter

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
Ya I thought it was a little coincidental that Judith was the only one to catch Negan and then bumped into him again? Unless ... She was the one who opened the cell. She would know when defenses were down or even offer to take over someone's post. Then waited for him to come back. She spoke to him a lot. Maybe she thought his sentence was done and wanted to test him. I know they want her to look cool but that gun would snap her wrists like a twig if she fired it. Just take it back a notch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

omegaman

omegaman

Roamer

• Members
  • 470 posts

Not if they wanted one alive.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 2,167 posts

I wish they had given her the position before Gimple had run the show into the ground and lost so many viewers. 

Ratings are down everywhere. This last episode got a 2.0 in the 18-49 demographic, making it #1 on cable, and #2 series overall behind only This is Us. Compared to 4 years ago they look bad but looked at in the context of the television landscape of 2019, it's still on top.

Edited by kombat, 13 February 2019 - 02:44 PM.

BitBrit

BitBrit

Survivor

• Members
  • 2,636 posts
  • LocationNorth West England
I voted excellent. It really has the eerie element back and I'm genuinely fearful of what will happen next.

I liked the Negan part, although I find it hard to think he may be let out now.

The whisperers are really scary! I hope the season plays out as well as promised.

Bug

Bug

Zombie Herder

• Moderators
  • 8,258 posts
Just a quick apology for my earlier, now deleted, post. I thought I answering an email. Sorry.

DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead

Biter

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Just a quick apology for my earlier, now deleted, post. I thought I answering an email. Sorry.

Hahaha. I thought that was pretty specific.

remmdog

remmdog

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationCT

I gotta say, this season has been must see TV for me once again.  My wife and I have loved the entry of the whisperers, she digs the creepiness of them.  I hope they keep it that way and don't turn it into another battle of people mentality.  

As a comic fan, I'm interested to see the roles of Rick and Carl taken up by others.  Darryl has grown back into a character I look forward to watching and same with Michonne.  I hated that both took a backseat last season.  Negan's cadence in delivery is a nice change as well... and well Judith just give a little more upbeat feel to it all.  

The main downside to the new story line is the change from Carl to what appears to be Henry... and well the actor who plays Henry is garbage in my opinion.    

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!

ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE SURVIVAL GEAR!:
When rebuilding city roads and clearing debris, keep your tractor parts in stock. Dozers are great for clearing away the udead.