What Would It Really Be Like 10+ Years Into Za

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

UnlimitedAmmo

UnlimitedAmmo

Infected

• Members
  • 4 posts

Question - what would it really be like 10 years into the Zombie Apocalypse?

- Would there still be free range Zombies?  (The math really does not work out - if 99% of the US population turns into Zombies, and the 1% left dispatch 1 zombie per week - no Zombies in 2 years)

- If there were still free range Zombies, how many would be ambulatory?  There is mud, water, ditches, etc.  Seems like a good percentage would be tangled up someplace

- Assuming such a high % of the population turned into Zombies, one  would assume that guns and ammo would be plentiful, not sure why everyone left is not armed to the teeth.  Bullets have a long shelf life

- Would you make a cart out of car parts and put in the plush seats?  Seems a bad weight decision

- Would anyone left, who has in fact survived 10 years, not be the most efficient Zombie and person killers left?  In TWD they still seem to be making really stupid decisions at times

Edited by UnlimitedAmmo, 26 November 2018 - 03:22 PM.

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members
  • 518 posts

- Would there still be free range Zombies?  (The math really does not work out - if 99% of the US population turns into Zombies, and the 1% left dispatch 1 zombie per week - no Zombies in 2 years)

- If there were still free range Zombies, how many would be ambulatory?  There is mud, water, ditches, etc.  Seems like a good percentage would be tangled up someplace

- Assuming such a high % of the population turned into Zombies, one  would assume that guns and ammo would be plentiful, not sure why everyone left is not armed to the teeth.  Bullets have a long shelf life

- Would you make a cart out of car parts and put in the plush seats?  Seems a bad weight decision

- Would anyone left, who has in fact survived 10 years, not be the most efficient Zombie and person killers left?  In TWD they still seem to be making really stupid decisions at times

You bring up some exellent points.

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members
  • 434 posts

Well, the name of the website refers to that dialogs in the comics.

We have roamers and lurkers, undeads that move, and undeads that just wait until someone reach their teeths.

Edited by naossano, 27 November 2018 - 02:29 AM.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 2,131 posts
  • LocationOttawa

This show was created in order to explore how humanity behaves when their societies are obliterated. No government, no emergency services, no neighborhood watches. Food is scarce, water is scarce, resources must be hunted for or gathered in competition with others and under constant threat. 

TWD uses zombies as the mechanism that reduces humanity to its base. This means the show is in a universe that differs from our own in a few key areas. In order to reduce us and force us to survive (or not) while having to rebuild from scratch, the show has introduced elements that are impossible in our universe. 

So we have zombies. But obviously the zombies should be dropping in number rather than increasing. Which means a second fantastic element is that zombies never run out. A third major universe change is that all of the technological constructs that require maintenance lest they render areas uninhabitable (chemical plants, etc.) are not a major threat after all.

So those things aren't flaws, they're necessary for the entire premise of the show.

Everything else is questionable. My wife and I laugh every single time a character beats a bad guy and instead of keeping the gun they always throw it away. 

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members
  • 434 posts

There are zombie apocalypse stories that actually aknowledge the logistics of those events. Those flaws aren't necessary for the premise. There are conveniences to free up time to focus in other areas.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 2,131 posts
  • LocationOttawa

There are zombie apocalypse stories that actually aknowledge the logistics of those events. Those flaws aren't necessary for the premise. There are conveniences to free up time to focus in other areas.

Exactly. It's not about what life would really be like, it's about what people would really be like.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,372 posts
  • LocationOhio

Exactly. It's not about what life would really be like, it's about what people would really be like.

Eh. I feel like the walking dead is more negative than positive.

They need it for the drama of course. However, would there be battles over food and water. Yes. In the beginning. So many years in people would have settled.

I get you would have some "tribes" of people who travel and gather. Not many. It's dangerous and the risks wouldn't be worth it.

The dead could increase. It depends on the people alive. Some are still dying every day. Whether or not they are being taken care of is another story.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 2,131 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Eh. I feel like the walking dead is more negative than positive.

They need it for the drama of course. However, would there be battles over food and water. Yes. In the beginning. So many years in people would have settled.

I get you would have some "tribes" of people who travel and gather. Not many. It's dangerous and the risks wouldn't be worth it.

The dead could increase. It depends on the people alive. Some are still dying every day. Whether or not they are being taken care of is another story.

I'm not saying I agree with the thesis of the show (that people would continually ruin their own chances and humanity). In fact, while I absolutely believe there would be warlords and cruelty, I believe there would be some very secure places as well.

The show has actually moved people forward, communities rather than small group. Cooperating communities even. But of course the bad side gets worse as well. But of course in order to continue to explore people's behavior in these awful situations, awful situations have to continue.

jmeg8237

jmeg8237

Infected

• Members
  • 1 posts

- Would there still be free range Zombies? (The math really does not work out - if 99% of the US population turns into Zombies, and the 1% left dispatch 1 zombie per week - no Zombies in 2 years)

- If there were still free range Zombies, how many would be ambulatory? There is mud, water, ditches, etc. Seems like a good percentage would be tangled up someplace

- Assuming such a high % of the population turned into Zombies, one would assume that guns and ammo would be plentiful, not sure why everyone left is not armed to the teeth. Bullets have a long shelf life

- Would you make a cart out of car parts and put in the plush seats? Seems a bad weight decision

- Would anyone left, who has in fact survived 10 years, not be the most efficient Zombie and person killers left? In TWD they still seem to be making really stupid decisions at times

Your math is better if the 1% kill 1 *percent* per week. If they only kill one per week, after 2 years they’ve killed 104 zombies. I think geographical area has to factor interesting that, but I do agree with your point that after this long, it would seem like the zombie population should be more under control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,372 posts
  • LocationOhio
I get that the dead shouldn't be around all the time. We however don't know how many people have died, or how many are left.

There are tons of places in the middle of the U.S. alone that could be secure. However this many yrs after. You have to think a good bit are in another direction, some have died just by wondering around. Or went to the ocean, falling off cliffs dumb stuff like that.

You'd figure their defenses would be better, or they would be flourishing with food and other things. But they still seem to be struggling. So idk what's going on.

Jgreenwood

Jgreenwood

Roamer

• Members
  • 516 posts

I get that the dead shouldn't be around all the time. We however don't know how many people have died, or how many are left.

There are tons of places in the middle of the U.S. alone that could be secure. However this many yrs after. You have to think a good bit are in another direction, some have died just by wondering around. Or went to the ocean, falling off cliffs dumb stuff like that.

You'd figure their defenses would be better, or they would be flourishing with food and other things. But they still seem to be struggling. So idk what's going on.

The ocean is pretty loud. Being attracted to sound would take care of a lot of people on the coastlines I would assume.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!