The Walking Dead Season 908 ~ Evolution ~ Review

Evolution (36 )

908 ~ Evolution

1. excellent ~ what I love about this show (18 [50.00%] - )

50.00%

2. good ~ what I enjoy about the show, but there are things I would have liked done differently (14 [38.89%] - )

38.89%

3. fair ~ it was ok (4 [11.11%] - )

11.11%

4. poor ~ disappointed (0 [0.00%])

0.00%

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members
In the name of whatever god tptb worship.....kill Henry!

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
There are so many questions I could answer how the whisperers work. It that's comic related and the show may be different and I can never seem to get the spoiler tags to work for me.

So all those questions are answered rather easily hopefully they cover them.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

Not gonna lie, I really wanted one or all of those teenagers to die lol. That type of dumb teenager should not exist 9+ years into the ZA.

But am I the only one that feels the whisperers don't really make much sense? So either there were hundreds of them in masks, pretending to be walkers, or there were a dozen or so in masks leading the walkers. If its the former then that means hundreds of people slowly shambled after like 4 guys, one of which was injured, for countless hours. Wouldn't it have made more sense for them to just run after them from the start? Why the act if they so heavily outnumber them? Not to mention if they all were people, then quite a few of them willingly got themselves killed just to keep the act going.

And if its the latter, well, that would make even less sense because as soon as they started whispering the real walkers would have turned around and chomped on them. Not to mention the real walkers wouldn't have ignored Daryl and his dog.

Idk this just kinda bothered me. I'm sure it'll be revealed that they're all crazy or something and It'll make a lot more sense.

As for Negan escaping, well I don't really know what to think about that. While It's interesting, I don't really know what he can do without any followers, as Carol did just kill all the remaining Saviors that didn't fully integrate into the 3 communities. Unless of course he pulls a Governor and just finds a random largish group to take over. I just really hope they don't have him swoop in to "save" the day at the last second, giving them an excuse to have him join and potentially redeem himself. That's when Id most likely drop this show for good.

Overall though I enjoyed the episode and thought it was good. I have to agree that getting rid of Gimple was the smartest thing they could've done. Now if only they could get him to stop ruining Fear as well...

There are multiple people controlling the herd. They shift them hence avoiding the alarm clock, firecrackers, and the dog. They use the walkers as cover and weapons. You don't know what's what.

And the second one it does make sense. They aren't regularly talking. They are using the zombie moans making words. To the dead they don't notice the sudden change. When they talk it's a long drawn out process. Don't you notice they just don't speak quickly?

Speaking like a normal persons gives it away. Voice is different. Remember in Alexandria when the kid covered in Walker guts immediately started to freak. It was his voice that gave him away and the movements second.

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members

I am glad we no longer have people worrying about talking walkers.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

Okay, so they act like they have territory to to defend, they were walking with walkers who ramble around for their next bite, so do the whisperers own everything? I thought they were scary, Ryan Hurst is a big boy to begin with, with walker skin, he's monstrous.....I loved it, was that him who killed Jesus? So at the cemetery when they were killing walkers, were they whisperers mixed in with walkers? I know the one where Daryl cuts off the walker skin, that couldn't have been the only one.

In previews when they showed whisperers just standing at the gates....reminds me of halloween horror nights at universal that I went to this year...there were dead scarecrows just standing there, tilting their heads, staring.....I think I'm having PTSD hahaha

There were multiple people. They were running away the minute jesus was killed and michonne and co. Charged them. There were some whisperers who stuck around that died. That is of course how they figured out they were people.

I figured the ones that left joined up with the other walkers/whisperers. Because you hear them say they are trapped or something.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members

The X could be unrelated to the tension between the 2. Or perhaps part of the mechanism in which Michonne found out about what Daryl and Maggie had done.

But then why would Daryl have an X too?

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members

Loved the episode, the development of Michonne, Carol, Tara, and even Darryl is great.  Aaron appears to be taking a bigger lead, which I like as well.  The haunting of the whisperers is much better on screen than in the comic in my opinion.  They are just flat out creepy in this one and watching the gang try and figure out what the f@# was going on was great.  I loved that Michonne tracks them down and Daryll's face once he realizes something is terribly wrong.

Negan - Is it just me or has his candence in dialogue changed?  I think overall he takes the roll of Rick from the comic, Daryl will take Negan's slot.  

I like what they are doing with the Whisperers so far also. I for one was hoping that the show would just skip over them. After screwing up the Governor and Negan, it looks like the show might actually do something better than the comic did.

I agree on Negan also. Even when berating Gabriel, his tone is just different. 

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members

There are so many questions I could answer how the whisperers work. It that's comic related and the show may be different and I can never seem to get the spoiler tags to work for me.

So all those questions are answered rather easily hopefully they cover them.

The way I look at it, if people really want to know, the answers are out there. Everyone knows how to use Google.

Jgreenwood

Jgreenwood

Roamer

• Members

But then why would Daryl have an X too?

Maybe he was part of the same situation.

Capture or trapped by some strange group who are cutting open and/or branding people. They capture Daryl and Michonne. They think they're going to die, Daryl spills the beans that he and Maggie basically killed Rick. 

Nareen

Nareen

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

For me this episode was one of the eeriest since the first few seasons and I enjoyed it for the most part. It’s good to see that characters continue to talk to each other and behave like people.

I liked how at first the search party is merely puzzled by the strange behavior of the walkers but gradually come to realize that they are being specifically hunted, with both terrifying implications and real fear for their own lives.  Eugene’s injury was both the reason they were out there and the reason they couldn’t escape the herd. 

Thought eh Whisperers are creepy and scary, they are also silly IMO.  Was that herd composed entirely of Whisperers or was it mostly walkers with the Whisperers blending in?  If the latter, how do they control the walkers?  How do they rest, eat, relieve themselves in the midst of a herd?  Why do they not get sick with zombie-skin stitched to their faces?  I laughed when on TD Kirkman mentioned that creating the Whisperers for television was complicated by the fact that the walkers are already people wearing masks.

It was sad to see Jesus go though he was very much underused, especially since he was a unique character.  I don’t blame Tom Payne for being OK with his exit.  His death was great – I knew he was going but that “walker” duck and stab was a shocker.  Jesus was rightly confident in his skills and ability to handle walkers but it was still overconfidence that led to his death, just like Carl. I understood that he was buying time for the others to get Eugene away.

I thought it was a false note that Carol and Diane just casually left for the Kingdom without waiting to find out what had happened to Eugene, Daryl and the others. 

LOL at Michonne’s reception at the Hilltop, especially compared to the welcome Carol, Daryl and Henry got. I loved Diane in that scene.   I am enjoying the mystery but am looking forward to finding out what happened.  What changed Michonne from the idealistic and visionary creator of a system of laws for all into a Me (Alexandria) First jerk?  Was it Rick’s death or something more?  Michonne is not a very effective leader since at least some Alexandrians have been doing what they please in relation to the other communities.    As I’ve been saying for years, IMO the only valid long term survival strategy for everyone is alliance and cooperation between communities so I think she’s wrong there too. And I don’t see that they’re a family anymore; families help each other.

The newcomers are growing on me though it still seems silly to introduce new people when established characters, like Jesus, don’t get enough screen time. 

Though I don’t generally find teenagers very interesting, I didn’t mind Henry’s story and I kind of like Henry. He’s foolishly impulsive at times but otherwise is a decent kid.  It was interesting to see adolescence in the ZA and that, predictably, kids are just as stupid then as they are now. LOL at the similarities with the S3 Fear scene at the ranch with Alicia.   But I would have thought that those kids would be working like adults or training like Henry instead of just lolling around.

Of course I disliked the Negan scenes but hated that he has escaped.  Why, oh why, when TWD is improving so dramatically, do they have to spoil it for me with Negan?

Once again Dog survived, as did the horses as far as we know. I spend these episodes worrying about the dog.  Though it was a great touch that the Hilltop had an outrider guard to warn the farm workers that unknown people were approaching, the workers ran away and left their horses. I hate that and anyway, at this stage, horses must be almost as valuable as people.

Michonne may have blamed Maggie for Rick’s death but I think something more happened, something dire.  It’s true that Maggie heading for Alexandria caused Rick to leave the bridge camp and that Daryl took him in the wrong direction. But it was the Saviors attacking the bridge camp and the resulting gunfire that drew the herd.  Then Rick refused Daryl’s offer to draw away the herd with his motorcycle and refused to lead them to the bridge (until he had no choice).  He then chose to take off on an already spooked horse.    Ultimately, Rick and Michonne bear some of the blame for what the Oceansiders and Maggie decided to do because, as I read in a review somewhere, they confused mercy with justice.  

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationChicago area

I thought it was Excellent, really great!

There were stupid decisions (Gabe being baited by Negan, Henry going out for a drink, etc.) but those things, while the actions of of almost imbeciles, are true for how people tend to live. Gabe was emotionally vulnerable, Negan recognized that opening as easily as he recognized how the 'kill me' pathetic wretch look would work on Maggie. He recognized an opening and took it. Now if the character can be written a little more in line with the series vibe we may get some good moments in the future out of him.

Likewise the kids. Henry is also open to manipulation, he was brought in by the other teens and went right for it. I don't doubt their stupid decisions, teens in the real world today are just as apt to do something ridiculous and not know why. If these three never left the gates, then what's out there would not be something they adjust to. If they drink and have fun out there without consequence then they get used to the idea.

Mostly it was genuine characters acting within who they are, and the introduction to the whisperers was done just right. Freaky walkers making communication and suddenly have speed, dexterity, and defense...if Jesus knew to expect that the guy wouldn't have had a chance, but the lull created expectation...also completely acceptable in the World they live in.

What I liked best was that we didn't dangle on a string a la Negan's pick a few seasons ago, but we discovered the truth as quickly as Daryl did. It heightened the tension and excitement instead of forcing it.

I don't really have any issues with herding walkers, it is believable provided we don't assume what we haven't seen, and keep our speculation rational.

I really enjoyed it. 

"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

I liked this episode, and I feel secure in the belief that choosing Kang was brilliant. The show is back to being a good show.
The reveal of the Whisperers for what they really are was done expertly. Instead of a muted reveal it took the loss of an important character. I have been critical of how poorly the show has used Jesus, he was essentially forgotten last season, but he was important enough that I was surprised. When the camera went slow motion I was bothered, because I thought it was an effect to highlight how kick-ass he is, which is a Gimple move and disappointing. Instead, though, it was to make sure we notice the 'walker' duck and stab Jesus. Brilliant reveal. And a genuinely scary episode.

The teens were fine, despite the exhausting manner in which the cool kids entice Henry to join them. Straight out of every 'bad teen' episode of every show ever. Kids behave like that, sure. But why it must always be written so horrendously I'll never know. I think it's a Hollywood law or something. Terrible writing aside, their behavior was true. I had no issues with what happened and I like that Henry is in jail for a bit. I just wish he were written better.

I am starting to like the mystery between Michonne and Hilltop a lot. She was pissed at Maggie and Daryl, rightfully. She also shares responsibility in having chosen an ideology that was untenable and unilaterally applied over the objections of the majority without anyone else getting a say. But she said her choices kept people alive- so it's more than that. Something else happened and she did something extremely unpopular that she believes was necessary for their lives. I think we'll get all of that in a flashback episode, and then we'll get a proper Maggie send off when that happens. I look forward to it, whatever it was will probably be part of the engine that drives the show as the communities try to defeat the Whisperers. I like the interpersonal conflicts far more than the external ones, but at least the Whisperers are scary. They don't make total sense to me either, but several people insist it is explained to some satisfaction in the comics. We'll see.

Negan exists and I accept that although I dislike it. I'd rather have Dwight. He at least was a man who made horrific decisions for understandable reasons and lost himself in the process. His journey to redemption would have been compelling. Negan's just feels contrived. So he escaped. I imagine he'll be heroic. Ugh.

I like Enid as a grown up- she achieved the journey that was promised to Carl. I never hated her like many did, I thought she did a pretty good job. I like Tara truly confident rather than faking it, I think the actress does a better job as Tara now than as Tara before.

Also, I meant to mention this in another episode, but why did we send the doctor on the run to Hilltop?
Seriously, you send Siddiq? I like the character. But why did he go on this journey?

I'm loving this show again, I hope FTWD learns something and de-Gimples themselves really quick.

B.A.

B.A.

Infected

• Members

Loved the episode, and I must have missed the subtle lead up, because I had absolutely no idea that Jesus was going to be killed. Excellently done and shot as well.

The Whisperers are genuinely terrifying, and not being a comic book reader, I have no idea where it's going. And I'm looking forward to finding out. After last seasons slump, and I'm too addicted to the show to have joined the I'm out brigade, the first half of season 9 has been excellent. Looking forward to Feb 2019 now!

Also just speaking to a friend there and they're convinced that Jesus isn't dead......another fake out?

Patientzero

Patientzero

Infected

• Members
I liked this episode overall, a huge improvement from previous seasons. I was one of the people who campaigned for a Gimple removal after Carl was killed off, so the prospect of losing Rick and Maggie was blowing my mind. "It'll never recover!" I said, but knock me down with a pretty big feather, if I haven't already gone and eaten my words.

I was gutted to lose Jesus, I won't lie. It is rare to find a sensible, fierce and attractive survivor in the apocalypse but Jesus really brought up the standard. I think a lot of us were feeling Aaron's despair, even if the other character's didn't express it at the time. I was reading an interview THR did with Tom Payne and it was sad to see that he had been frustrated with his character's lack of development - another Gimple legacy but at least he is paying for it now... wait, sorry that was a mistake... AMC are paying him more for it now. It was funny though to also read about how nervous Angel King was when breaking the news to Tom about how Jesus was going to be paying for Eugene's sins in the mid-season finale and he was like, "Nah, it's cool, just give me some fly kicks and I'll get out of your hair."

Things I'll miss about Jesus:
  • His eyes
  • His bun
  • His magic tricks
  • Karate

Things I won't miss:

• Bad choices derived from bad writing

Example - why would you stay behind and not leave with your fellow survivors? It seemed like he was trying to hold the walkers back to avoid them getting closer to the others. Cut to two walkers appearing behind him at the gate and then Jesus just plain getting cut. I have no issue with character's dying in relatively rational situations but the way it was shot felt like he was just hanging around for the funsies - although that could just be my sadness around the loss leaking into this post. The intro of the Whisperers was great though, in the sense that it was a surprising way for it to happen. Although think it would have been better if it had just been the one Whisperer they fought, with no time to reveal it was just a mask. Would have been good at building tension in the next episode instead of having the Michael Jackson Thriller scene with the others running through the fog after Michonne & co.

All in it was good, I fully expected not to even be watching anymore but here I am, loving it enough to nitpick with the best of them. Also loving how each group has a gimmick that makes them easily identifiable -

• Sanctuary - Tonight what do we have on the Men...YOU
  • Saviours - We are all Negan, with bad hairdos
  • Alexandria - Don't come knocking on our door, we have secrets and reasons
  • Hilltop - We have issues with authority
  • Oceanside - Why should we help? Okay... mmm... I dunno
  • The Kingdom - Anyone for a game of lazer tag on horses?
  • Whisperers - Marco! Polo! Stab
  • The Wolves - we are only in it for a few episodes, lets just order some branding with the letter W - mugs, stickers... trees - also, brushing your teeth is optional
P.S.

Sad about Jesus

Zpoc

Zpoc

S-mart Employee

• Members

This episode left me feeling anxious about the next 1/2 of the season.  I hated to see Jesus go, but the intro to the creepy Whisperers was great.  I regained the chills from TWD again - the way the scene played out with the fog and the way the Whisperers had to communicate with each other left me frightened.   Since season 1, I was scared to turn off the lights at night  :rolleyes:

Partyof5

Partyof5

S-mart Employee

• Members

First time in long time that I voted excellent.  I didn't care for the Henry drinking plot, but I didn't want that to move it down to just good. 

After taking most of the season off and coming back in at the end of the episode where Rick "died" the show feels strange.  It's still TWD, but it's odd seeing Henry instead of Carl and Daryl,Carol and Michonne without Rick. 

I love the Whisperers so far and how they were revealed.  I still have reservations that this is going to be too similar to past plots where they introduce a bunch of new characters, meet a new bad guy, have a war where a few longtime characters die along with some of the newer ones and the eventual victory in the end feels depressing due to all the loses.  I understand why a show like this can't be full of happy endings, but I left due to the dragging Savior story and the constant loss of characters and overwhelming "downer" feeling the show was giving me. 

I wish we would have gotten this a season sooner and the Savior storyline would have been condensed to a single season.   

bully8

bully8

S-mart Employee

• Members

Also, I meant to mention this in another episode, but why did we send the doctor on the run to Hilltop?
Seriously, you send Siddiq? I like the character. But why did he go on this journey?

I dunno - maybe the same reason Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock went on almost every landing party on Star Trek, no matter how dangerous.  Shows feature their star characters, regardless of how unrealistic it might be for them to be present in certain situations.

victoriaH

victoriaH

Infected

• Members

I am so happy this show has bounced back and became enjoyable again. I really disliked the past 2 seasons mostly because of negan. But this season has been a breath of fresh air and im genuinely excited to watch the show again yay! The flow and the writing just seem way better to me as well.  I even have enjoyed negan behind bars especially in this episode, he was really funny and that surprised me. Im not really loving that he got out and hope they don't put him back in power somehow.

I don't really see the point of them killing off carl to just replace his story with henry but IMO the kid is doing fine. I like his relationship he shares with "his parents". The bratty teenagers come on who are these parents still raising stupid, careless kids in the zombie apocalypse? They always seem to add these obnoxious characters to set up falls for the good, respectful, zombie killing kids like with ron and carl.

Even tho I knew the whispers were just bad people, this episode still had my heart rate going I loved the creepy atmosphere. Which rarely and weirdly doesn't seem to happen often enough on a zombie show. Watching the characters freak out was pretty great. Poor Jesus tho. I knew they were going to kill or severely injure someone but I avoided spoilers and was super surprised it was jesus. I think they should have had him alive for a few minutes while dying for a little more emotion. Why bother whispering in his ear and then stab him in the heart? How is he going to pass along that message lol.  I think it would have been better if it was Tara. No offense to the actor but her story is played out and she is just not interesting. Having her go out and die I think would have been a better story. Jesus would have been so angry and distraught he let her talk him into staying and her going it would make good character development I think.

I am curious to know what the heck is going on with michonne and everyone else hinting that there was some kind of fallout with the family. She reminds me of a lady cop now. Like yes you are bad, yes you are In charge but why u gotta be such a c*** about it. I mean I don't hate her and she has to be tough but her attitude does seem to grate on me this season. I guess we all just have to wait for them to explain what happened and what those X's are about.

Like everyone else here im really curious on how these whisperers are moving the herds. Especially with noise like Daryl was making how the heck did they get all those zombies to ignore that. And yes we heard them moan/talk real slow and that was ok but what about when they all started whispering at the same time and it got loud? They weren't dragging out there speech there right?  I wonder how many of them there are ratio wise but im going to try to be patient and find out in due time and not google it lol.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

I dunno - maybe the same reason Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock went on almost every landing party on Star Trek, no matter how dangerous.  Shows feature their star characters, regardless of how unrealistic it might be for them to be present in certain situations.

I am all for sending a main character, just a bit perplexed at sending the doctor. They've lost a couple doctors in the past because they went on runs. (On the other hand, obviously he has free will and can go if he wants to)

Bric

Bric

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationOrlando, FL.
Well for about 6 or 7 years I've been visiting this website and reading the posts of other fans when I still enjoyed the show. Unfortunately, just as the show has gone down hill, so have the posts. I still think the fact that only 14 viewers chose to rate the episode (as opposed to like 100 a few years ago) that few watch or care about it anymore but I still got to give credit for sticking with it. I tried to watch a few episodes a couple of days ago and made a negative post. I got down voted twice! I thought that was awesome! It means two people actually took the time to say Boo! To me. Though the viewership has clearly declined there are some still more vociferous than ever. Cheers to your passion.
"There are many new walls around the village... they won't keep us out..."
"They weren't built to keep you out. They were built to keep you in."

BitBrit

BitBrit

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationNorth West England
I voted excellent. It was a great episode, it felt like all the main characters had a place in it.

I agree it was really creepy. There was sheer terror at the thought of evolved walkers. I don't really understand the theory of being a whisperer either, but I'm guessing this will be revealed.

Good point on michonne possibly distancing herself from Maggie and Daryl because she blames them for Ricks loss, but why be off with Carol too? Something else must have happened.

TD said that we had seen Maggies last appearance but her story will be told.

I thought Henry and the teenagers was realistic, they're looking for risks and entertainment in the world they know.

Poor Jesus though! This did come as a massive shock. Thr whole scene was well done but still a bit dark, I struggled to see even who had come to the rescue was it michonne and 2 of the new group?

And is the kingdom close to hilltop or was Carol intending to camp out overnight as she had on the way? I'm sure someone said it would be dark soon not long after they'd gone.

Jgreenwood

Jgreenwood

Roamer

• Members

First time in long time that I voted excellent.  I didn't care for the Henry drinking plot, but I didn't want that to move it down to just good. 

After taking most of the season off and coming back in at the end of the episode where Rick "died" the show feels strange.  It's still TWD, but it's odd seeing Henry instead of Carl and Daryl,Carol and Michonne without Rick. 

I love the Whisperers so far and how they were revealed.  I still have reservations that this is going to be too similar to past plots where they introduce a bunch of new characters, meet a new bad guy, have a war where a few longtime characters die along with some of the newer ones and the eventual victory in the end feels depressing due to all the loses.  I understand why a show like this can't be full of happy endings, but I left due to the dragging Savior story and the constant loss of characters and overwhelming "downer" feeling the show was giving me. 

I wish we would have gotten this a season sooner and the Savior storyline would have been condensed to a single season.   

I'm probably in the minority but...I haven't missed Rick since his departure. He was one of my favorite characters, but his presence doesn't seem to linger to me(unlike Dennis being gone from IASiP). There is still a lot of the season left though, so it could take a drastic turn after the break but the show is trending up for me and I really didn't think that was possible.

B.A.

B.A.

Infected

• Members

As mentioned, a friend of mine is convinced Jesus is still alive. One theory is it's convenient that there was a doctor in the party.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members

As mentioned, a friend of mine is convinced Jesus is still alive. One theory is it's convenient that there was a doctor in the party.

He's dead. The In Memorium on Talking Dead said so. There is nothing more final than the In Memorium on Talking Dead. If the character appears on it, they're dead.

B.A.

B.A.

Infected

• Members

I saw that myself! Although I don't think he has so didn't want to spoil it

Has there ever been an in memorium that has come back? Was Glenn in it after Dumpster Gate?

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!