Photo

Talking Zombies? (Promo And Huge Comic Spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Nightmare

Nightmare

Roamer

• Members
  • 250 posts

So uh has this always been a thing in the comics?

Image sigs should be allowed.

Jgreenwood

Jgreenwood

Roamer

• Members
  • 508 posts

Spoiler

Nightmare

Nightmare

Roamer

• Members
  • 250 posts

Spoiler

Hm?

omegaman

omegaman

Roamer

• Members
  • 469 posts

Spoiler

Nightmare

Nightmare

Roamer

• Members
  • 250 posts

Spoiler

Well I doubt it, if it is talking Zombies I'm kind of done even more so than i am now.

Nareen

Nareen

Roamer

• Members
  • 847 posts
  • LocationCanada

I haven't read the comics but I gather that

Spoiler

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 2,123 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Spoiler

DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead

Biter

• Members
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
Ive always thought walkers should have varying levels of intelligence. As long as it doesn’t go overboard. Not full on Land of the dead but slight hints of recognition or using a doorknob would add to tension. Morgans wife kept returning to the house where she died and trying to door, so its not a reversal on cannon just going back to established behavior. In season one a walker used a rock to try to break a window and another tried to climb a fence. Right now a closed door has to be broken down so that gives characters a few seconds to barricade it. If a walker turned the knob while the character was looking for something to use, that would take away the safety net of a door. Even lots of “unintelligent” animals use objects in surprising ways.

Nightmare

Nightmare

Roamer

• Members
  • 250 posts

Ive always thought walkers should have varying levels of intelligence. As long as it doesn’t go overboard. Not full on Land of the dead but slight hints of recognition or using a doorknob would add to tension. Morgans wife kept returning to the house where she died and trying to door, so its not a reversal on cannon just going back to established behavior. In season one a walker used a rock to try to break a window and another tried to climb a fence. Right now a closed door has to be broken down so that gives characters a few seconds to barricade it. If a walker turned the knob while the character was looking for something to use, that would take away the safety net of a door. Even lots of “unintelligent” animals use objects in surprising ways.

I enjoy the small remnants of humanity left over in their minds, it makes it much creepier for me but talking Zombies just seems odd. Let's hope it's just awful advertising by them and the zombies don't start making tactical plans on how to get the group lol..

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • 2,540 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Okay strong spoiler from the comics- like big time spoiler that gives everything away-  but you asked so

Spoiler

Note: I slightly changed the thread title to indicate that there are huge comic spoilers because, thanks to my contribution, there are. :)

Edited by Deadpelican, 06 November 2018 - 02:45 PM.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 2,123 posts
  • LocationOttawa
I never like walkers understanding for knobs, using rocks, or anything resembling much of a thought process. They should be far dumber than supposed unintelligent animals.

It's in the canon, that is true. To my mind it was a mistake. I like mindless, because it's too short a jump from rudimentary recognition to acknowledging that the dead person isn't really completely gone. Which makes Herschel potentially right. I prefer them completely unconnected to humanity.

DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead

Biter

• Members
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
Its ok for Hershel to be right. He was just mistaken that anything can be done about it. Its easier to accept what happens thinking that the real person is gone. But the hard truth may be that there may be something left which is why taking down a former loved one is so hard. Because we dont know if they were already gone.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 2,123 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Its ok for Hershel to be right. He was just mistaken that anything can be done about it. Its easier to accept what happens thinking that the real person is gone. But the hard truth may be that there may be something left which is why taking down a former loved one is so hard. Because we dont know if they were already gone.

I agree with that, in another show. For this show it was important to the story that the person wad completely gone. If they are not completely gone, than the idea that nothing can be done is forever temporary and a lot of people would be keeping loved ones around while waiting for a change.

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

I've never read the comics but in my fanfiction I've always used the idea of intelligent walkers. What would make walkers more scarier than the ability to think. I found that scary as heck and I'm glad to see that is going to be played out on the small screen. Just don't make it like Warm Bodies....eh.

I don't have to outrun walkers, I just have to outrun you!
Highschool Of The Dead full 240316

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 2,123 posts
  • LocationOttawa
Intelligent zombies in another universe. TWD I believe will never go that route. I agree intelligent enemies are scarier, but the ultimate monster isn't the goal of TWD. In TWD, the whole point is deconstructing humanity in its base state.

DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead

Biter

• Members
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Just don't make it like Warm Bodies....eh.

Ooohh im sorry! You sat through that?

DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead

Biter

• Members
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
The show is about conflict in all its forms and how people react to it. There are only so many ways to cut down a couple slow walkers. To maintain tension we need some surprises. With most of the original cast gone after this season, they need to inject something new

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 2,123 posts
  • LocationOttawa
I guess we disagree on this one. I think your wish would work for what I want, but I think keeping the intelligent threat human works better. Well see how they play it.

DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead

Biter

• Members
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOhio
Frank Darabont wanted to put his own little thing with the zombies. The only part I didn't like was the girl who picked up the teddy bear.

I wouldn't mind if they died with the item in hand or maybe somehow grabbed it. However, once the see a person or loving creature they want to rip it apart so they'll open their hands and drop said item.

Jgreenwood

Jgreenwood

Roamer

• Members
  • 508 posts

I've never read the comics but in my fanfiction I've always used the idea of intelligent walkers. What would make walkers more scarier than the ability to think. I found that scary as heck and I'm glad to see that is going to be played out on the small screen. Just don't make it like Warm Bodies....eh.

If they can think they are no longer zombies.

Even the Romero films became a joke once they tried to make them more intelligent. There's just no way to pull it off without it being stupid.

DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead

Biter

• Members
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
It can go overboard quickly but they can do subtle stuff just to mix it up. No creature in nature acts 100% like the rest of its species, except maybe bacteria or single cell organisms. They should have some variance. Maybe one doesnt groan right before attacking or sees the hole its right about to trip in and goes around it. Maybe switches targets when someone grabs it from behind. They dont need to be “smart”, just not have the brain power of a fence post. Merle had a ton of emotion in a very short scene when Daryl found him. For a second I even wondered if he recognized him. Even if he did, instinct was stronger and took over. Right now they take out walkers like a bunch of red shirts. We need to either fear them or feel sorry them. The amount of money they throw at them, they need a touch more depth.

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • 723 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Talking Walkers will probably be it for me.

Yes, there was rick use, attempts to climb, picking up teddy bears...some questionable stimulus response actions in season one which they did away with later and could potentially be brought back...

Speaking English is not a rudimentary stimulus response. Neither would that language being understood. I have no idea what this series is planning, but having the walkers use language would absolutely be jumping the shark to me.

It sucked in the 80's films, I can't comprehend how it won't here. You want evil to communicate in language, use the living.

Just my humble opinion.

"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead

Biter

• Members
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Speaking English is not a rudimentary stimulus response. Neither would that language being understood.

Agreed. Any attempts to communicate or use tactics or ride horses is waaay too far.

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members
  • 426 posts

If they show talking walkers, wait a bit before making judgement.

And if you really want to know.

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!