Season 9, Episode 2 ~ The Bridge ~ Review

The Bridge

The Bridge (29 )

episode 902

1. excellent ~ what I love about this show (4 [13.79%] - )

13.79%

2. good ~ liked it, but there are things I'd have preferred done different (22 [75.86%] - )

75.86%

3. fair ~ it was ok (3 [10.34%] - )

10.34%

4. poor ~ I was disappointed (0 [0.00%])

0.00%

Bug

Bug

Zombie Herder

• Moderators

The communities join forces to restore a bridge...

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Voted good. Pretty decent season so far but it's looking like a lot of people are losing interest.  Two hours and I'm the only vote and comment so far. Wow

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members
I thought it was a quite good episode.

You go Maggie!

Time to kill the ex saviors as they are nothing but trouble.

I am liking this season better than any since S 5.

Bug

Bug

Zombie Herder

• Moderators
While these 2 episodes have been good I think it will take more to trust the show again, especially since I already know that Lincoln and Cohen are leaving this season. Previous losses have been too hard already.

The good tonight was that Enid is becoming a more important character. I also liked that Earl owned what he'd done, not blaming it on the alcohol then Maggie giving him probation. Another thing I liked was Carol putting on Ezekiel's ring. I also enjoyed seeing familiar faces.

I did not like Aaron losing part of his arm.

xpoc454

xpoc454

Infected

• Members

I voted fair.  The show is dragging for me a lot.  We know how this is all going to end up and they are milking it for all its worth.

I did think that Earl's part was the best dramatic part.  This is the first time I had to fast forward on the dvr through all the sappy love scenes.  :P

I did like the 20 seconds we got that made me think about while I tried to sleep.

Who did the guy recognize and than get attacked by on the last scene.  Where are all the missing ethanol runners at?

Logic would say he recognized someone from the saviors but who knows.

And once again, their is a mysterious flying object in the sky that we may or may not ever hear about again.

Jgreenwood

Jgreenwood

Roamer

• Members

I voted fair.  The show is dragging for me a lot.  We know how this is all going to end up and they are milking it for all its worth.

I did think that Earl's part was the best dramatic part.  This is the first time I had to fast forward on the dvr through all the sappy love scenes.  :P

I did like the 20 seconds we got that made me think about while I tried to sleep.

Who did the guy recognize and than get attacked by on the last scene.  Where are all the missing ethanol runners at?

Logic would say he recognized someone from the saviors but who knows.

And once again, their is a mysterious flying object in the sky that we may or may not ever hear about again.

I must have missed the flying object? Where was that?

Nareen

Nareen

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

I thought it was a pretty good episode that I probably should have enjoyed more.  My problem is that I’m becoming bored with the whole TWD concept but am hoping that this reshaping of the series will rekindle my interest.  Another problem is that I find Rick and Michonne, with their idealistic and totally unrealistic vision of the future, annoying.  IMO they are right in principle but the execution is lacking. 

Both plot lines, Hilltop and the bridge, were interesting.  It seems that the tension over different modes of leadership will propel this part of the season.  Daryl obviously is not buying in to Rick’s vision everyone getting along.

Rick at least is having some self-doubt and we’ll see if that goes anywhere.  Is he starting to learn that saying “We’re all going to get along” is not the same as actually getting along in real life?  I think I said last week that I thought that blindly adhering to Carl’s idealistic vision was his way of keeping his son alive.

Now that the war is over, Maggie has to find her feet as a civilian leader.   At least she was elected, which is more than Rick can say.  IMO she was right to kill the unredeemable and destructive Gregory and imprison Earl, then free Earl for both pragmatic and compassionate reasons.  But she needs to stop making judicial decisions unilaterally and ideally should have a panel of judges or something that is impartial and separated from the leadership.   That should be part of the law code.

What was MIchonne going to do if Maggie had continued to refuse her requests for food? Maggie came around because TWD’s message is that Rick and Michonne are right.   But what if Maggie had held out? 

Whose vision will shape the new law code that Michonne talks about?  Hers?  What if Maggie or Ezekiel or whoever is running Oceanside disagrees?  Will Alexandria try to force them to go along?

Two and a bit romantic subplots is a lot for TWD.  The way in which Carol accepted Ezekiel’s ring was cute and I like that when he talks with Carol, Ezekiel drops the King stuff and speaks normally.  Jerry and Nabila were a bit of a surprise.  Anne and Gabriel – really?  Is she sincere or playing him, I wonder.

Was it coincidence that it was Anne who saw the lights in the sky, presumably those of a helicopter?

Poor Aaron.  I hope that them having to CGI him every time he’s onscreen doesn’t mean Aaron will be killed off.  I has expected the series to shed Enid but it seems they’ve found a place for her.    

I figure that whoever made the AWOL Saviors and the missing Sanctuary ethanol delivery guys disappear also killed Justin at the episode’s end. 

Partyof5

Partyof5

S-mart Employee

• Members

Two hours and I'm the only vote and comment so far. Wow

Some may not be able to log in.  The forgot my password capchia is not working.  I was lucky enough to finally remember mine a few days after initially trying to use the forgot my password function. 

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members

I must have missed the flying object? Where was that?

It was when Jadis was on watch and she looked up into the night sky and saw lights. You could also hear the helicopter faintly. She seemed saddened by its appearance. There is definitely a significance to the helos she's seeing that hopefully we'll get some story on.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members

Voted good.

I found Maggie and Jesus talking about their meetings with Georgie particularly interesting since it possibly sets up Maggie's exit.

Jadis and Gabriel, that came out of left field. Gabris? Jadriel?

Alden trying to make a Negan comparison to Rick was totally lame. The writers should know by now that no one is going to buy into this. Ever. Just stop.

I liked the interaction with Maggie and Earl. It was a nice connection to Herschel.

Aaron's arm had to be top 3 grossest special effects ever on the show. That was just horrific and awesome all at the same time. The execution of amputating was wrong, which Katelyn Nacon freely admitted to on Talking Dead.

DaniB7

DaniB7

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationOklahoma

I voted excellent for the second week in a row.  I'm still not sure it it's because I've lowered my expectations of this show so much or it is really that good again.  I have thoroughly enjoyed these last two week though.  

I also found the Jesus/Maggie conversation as a good way out for Maggie's character and leaves the door open for her return if her new show doesn't work out.  

My favorite line of the night was after Carol asked Ezekiel for the ring and he says," But I prepared a speech."  Of course you have King.  Of.  Course.  You.  Have!  LOL!

I'm finding the dynamic of Michonne's wanting there to be a charter/rules/laws for the communities very interesting.  It didn't seem to take them long to form a council at the prison after they brought Woodbury to live with them.  Why haven't they formed a similar council with representatives from each community.  They all seem to be traveling with relative ease between the communities at this point so it seems that it wouldn't be hard to have done this.  I do think that the representatives should be original members of each community and not just Rick's group acting as representatives.  This is exactly the type of stuff that made me love this show in the beginning.  So glad it's getting back to its roots!

Bug

Bug

Zombie Herder

• Moderators
In S8, episode 14, Jadis/Anne was going to signal that helicopter until Negan screwed that up by knocking the flare into the puddle. By time she lit the other it was too late and the helicopter didn't see her. So, yeah, Jadis/Anne knows a lot more than she's let on.

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationChicago area

I thought it was good. It wasn't a poorly done episode at all, and it seemed to follow neatly the direction the first episode started.

Likes: Maggie's continued leadership at Hilltop. Struggling over the incarceration when there are no laws and true enforcement is force of will. She handled it correctly, she makes up her mind and is willing to defend her choices powerfully, but not so much so that she stops listening to others. That's true leadership, BTW. We get to see her farm skills also start to show their necessity. Most of all, she let's Earl out to work, but under guard and earning his keep. I honestly think if he hadn't owned who he is that he'd still be in the cell. Maggie has the wisdom and history to recognize many aspects of alcoholism and it's defenses, and what happened when she talked to him, before he owned who he is inside, was not (IMHO) enough to earn him some sunlight.

The Aaron thing was predictable and didn't really impact me. I wish it had, but I fully expected a casualty and going for a name seemed the right thing for them to try after last week.

Daryl is better at leading a squad in more fluid circumstances than being a leader of a large group with a project like the bridge, but he's not the fault for what Sanctuary is getting away with. It's Rick.

I mean, really Rick?! I have an image of Marlon Brando's Vito Corleone staring him down and smacking him on the side of the head, asking "What's the MATTER with you?! I think your heads gone soft!" Rick keeps Negan locked up but alive, and tends to think that Negan alone is the only misfit from Sanctuary. NO. There are MANY. They will willing participants and as culpable in the crimes of Negan as he is. They needed to be weeded out as they started trouble, not given a laying on hands forgiveness. Makes you wonder if Rick would feel this way about the Boys from Philly if they had survived and shown up again this week? or Shane? Terminus peeps? Where's the limit of atrocities set at? You allow trouble to remain unpunished, you inspire more of the same. Forgive, and the ethanol (required for barter) vanishes along with people capable of stirring up trouble. Even if they get killed off screen the fuel is gone. Trust is EARNED, not given. Now maybe they did a lot during the time jump, but the tests we've seen the characters put through right now should not be so new and dynamic as to suddenly create a change. I'm guessing that Negan has a few stragglers out there slowly planning a coup. We'll see.

Then when he banishes the guy, he lets him choose the time and place of his vacating. Maybe this time the guy wandered and got knocked out or killed, but a real danger Rick doesn't see behind his rose tinted glasses could devastate a camp like that on the way out with very little planning. Rick needs his commonwealth laws with the other villages, and he needs them to be more Maggie than him!

I do, btw, accept the radio was dead at face value. It was a silly sabotage idea to lead a herd to camp and then still be able to be found for questioning. Besides, the guy was egotistical, brutish, and sloppy. If anyone would take a working radio for granted, it's him. Look as his attitude towards everything from painting the Negan graffiti over to working lackadaisically on the bridge and drinking more than he's due. Sloppy and irresponsible led to the radio being dead, not malicious intent.  

Look, every team, every company has guys that are basically good at shapes and colors and nothing else...so use them as such and stop dreaming about them being buddies. They aren't, and when you put them in a critical position and trust they won't be irresponsible THIS time, you are asking for it.

Romances kinda meh at this point. I guess we gotta be updated on everyone, but that's it for me.

Same with the helicopter, it's neither here nor there until we see how it factors into the season. Jadis is lucky to have what she does, wistfully staring at the sky is a little much to me.

"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

Deadheads

Deadheads

Infected

• Members
  • LocationMinnesota

Rick needs to dismantle the sanctuary and ether start a new place or bring the good folks into the other towns.. like he did with Woodburry.

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members

I am betting the killer is from another community, not the savior, and that Daryl will get accused.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Gotta be honest, I think this season is off to a great start. I think Angela Kang as show runner is an improvement. Hopefully it didn't come to late. We've been slogging through shit for the past couple of years and some people I think have given up on the show.  But.. based on the first two episodes... I'm honestly interested again. 

It's going to take a little time for the show to earn back my trust but they are off to a good start. Seriously. 

So it's official that Rick is gone this season. I wonder who will replace him as leader? Daryl is not a leader. I don't think he wants to be. 

I'm wondering if Aaron could end up being the leader of Alexandria.   He had a limb amputated. 

Same thing happens to Rick in the comics, but different circumstances.

So... one- armed leader. 

And Aaron believes in Rick's vision- more than anyone else at this point, or so it would seem. 

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

thejoker954

thejoker954

Roamer

• Members

It was when Jadis was on watch and she looked up into the night sky and saw lights. You could also hear the helicopter faintly. She seemed saddened by its appearance. There is definitely a significance to the helos she's seeing that hopefully we'll get some story on.

Yeah, she definitely looked "off" when she noticed the helicopter.

I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but it seemed kinda quite for how close it's lights looked to the ground making me think it's gotta be from something like the commonwealth in that it has the manpower and resources to modify it to be "stealthy".

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members

I'm wondering if Aaron could end up being the leader of Alexandria.   He had a limb amputated. 

Same thing happens to Rick in the comics, but different circumstances.

So... one- armed leader. 

And Aaron believes in Rick's vision- more than anyone else at this point, or so it would seem. 

I would picture someone more assertive and outspoken, like Maggie, Negan, Carol, Ezekiel, or Eugene. I wouldn't want Eugene, as i don't understand half of what he saying.

Bric

Bric

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationOrlando, FL.
Hold the friggin' phone...! Another mysterious aircraft spotted in a Jadis related scene?!!! I thought the first one was just poor editing...what with Rick standing in front of a terrible high school production green screen. You know,... outsourced to New Dehli or something. But now a second sighting?!!! This is big, people...really big. Maybe it was Trump? Or the French! Or... good God... have the zombies learned the science of modern avionics? Oh boy... shit just got real... buckle my friends...
"There are many new walls around the village... they won't keep us out..."
"They weren't built to keep you out. They were built to keep you in."

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

This was another good episode, and my hopes are increasing that Kang knows what the show needs.

She's running with the 'Rick's right' ideal established last season, but Maggie remains a counterpoint. The fact that she listened to Michonne does not mean Maggie has caved. I agree that TWD seems to be dialed in on 'Rick is Right', but I hold out hope that they will play it better than that. Rick isn't right, Negan should be dead, and TWD has taught us too many times that trust is earned, and three strikes means you're out. The number of deaths incurred by failing to understand that you can't trust that your enemy has changed outweighs the number of times an enemy actually changed. In cases where an antagonist truly changed, there were often reasons that our heroes earned that antagonism (forcing Gabriel into service when he was met, for example, certainly failed to endear Gabriel to Rick. Sure he betrayed Rick, but Rick was awful to him at first).

So it's weird that Gregory, Jadis, and Negan remain anywhere nearby. And a number of the Saviors ought to be gone as well, or at least not aided.

Even so, those are small issues and I can move past them.

The romances were too many at once, but again, people SHOULD be having romances. It's been a year and a half or so, largely of peace, and people will be pairing off. TWD had to do this either at once or strung along, but either way it was going to happen. At least now they established who's with who so they can move along with stories that incorporate those details.

I like Aaron losing his arm in an accident, because it was great for Enid's character, great for Aaron's, and great for Daryl's.

I hate the 'bad Savior' as a character, because I don't believe his over the top badness. He was on the losing side, yet he lives in peace. 18 months later and he's still acting like a bully to people who already won. The taking of water was ridiculous because it didn't make sense. Okay, I get it. He's bad, so Daryl will be 'good' if they fight. Sure we'll think Daryl went too far, but we'll forgive him because the Savior's so bad. TWD should trust the audience more. Let Daryl be pissed at the Saviors and get into a fight without going overboard on the bad guy, or let the bad guy plot. Walking around announcing to the audience how bad you are is takes me out of the show.

I like that Kang decided to keep the Vinyl collector and the helicopter, because they were already established. Kang is keeping the excesses of Gimple that she has too for continuity, but is allowing things to move in a smarter fashion.

So given the constraints Gimple placed upon her, this season has been excellent.

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members

They have to thin out the herd a bit. There is about 40 named characters atm the moment and actors aren't cheap. They even kept characters that took a bullet in the last Finale.

Alessia2

Alessia2

Lurker

• Members

I voted excellent again. I really enjoyed this episode too. I hope they keep this way and not just try for couple of episodes. It was interesting, fun and sweet and there were enough excitement as well.

Maggie, Jesus (he is so adorable!) and the darling baby Hershel, talking about Georgie and her vinyl collection. More of smiling Carol with a family. And some "Atlanta Three" mutual time. Tara, being funny and cute as ever. Loved that scene of her in the crane, with all those funny nicknames. Lots of cute couples, specially loved Jerry and Nabila! All this sounds great to me. :) I don´t think Gabriel and Jadis/Anne were that odd choise; they both were not that easy persons to settle in with others. I can see there is chance they get each others better than some else.

I liked how Carol was still the one Daryl listens to, even in his anger. :) Also Aaron is close to him since the spaghetti dinner times, Daryl was a loyal friend for him as well and saved him. (And his haircut is now even more obvious as we saw him up close. ;) ) I think Aaron with one hand will be possible new leader, taking part of Rick´s role maybe? Daryl doesn´t enjoy being in lead and now Rick knows that better.

By the way... Did anyone of you feel uncomfortable how now every community has a leader from Rick´s group? They have taken over everywhere and somehow it makes me unhappy. After all, there were communities of their own, and now Rick and his people have killed or replaced every leader... In Kingdom just Carol becoming "Queen" but well, she is a leading lady as well, and it seems to me Ezekiel after all does what she wants to... ;) Rick has now Alexandria for himself, Maggie got Hilltop, Rick put Daryl in charge of Sanctuary, Carol is in Kingdom... They pretty much dominate all the communities. I wouldn´t be surprised if someone of the group was placed in Oceanside as well... Maybe Aaron, as he seemed to be somewhere else than Hilltop, based to his talk with Jesus?

I liked they were training Enid to a new doctor. Finally they do something wise! And for thinking of future, Maggie did wisely to donate food and keep up friendship. The communities need to get along and the idea of mutual laws was good, but it made me think as well, who is the one that makes the laws? Rick again is the only one being right? They should have a meeting and listen to everyone to make a mutual agreement. That way it might even work.

So, doesn´t it feel awkward at all to any of you, that the "famous Rick Grimes" has now power over all the communities around there? Controlling everything and making them to work each others. That doesn´t really differ much from Negan´s vision, except for how they managed the things. At least Rick hasn´t an unwilling harem or ruling with causing fear. There is something I don´t like in that, still. I think it will backfire him in some point, specially as he seems to enjoy having Negan as his little pet... Negan isn´t having illusions of Rick´s ways. He seems patient and sure to get out when Rick makes a big mistake at some point. He definitely isn´t humble at all. Maggie may break the horses to be tame, but Rick isn´t going to manage to do same with Negan. He is still dangerous with his clever mind and tongue. I am sure there will be problems on the way with Negan. I bet, that so many big characters leaving soon, they will for sure keep JDM as he is big as well. I am not happy if he will be given a good chance and just make him as a "good" character. It was not just for Glenn and Abe to be forgiven to him, but his whole leading system and way of life was something narsistic and evil. Negan is using people for his ways, and I am sure he will continue so. If not, it´s a bad writing and forgetting who the character is. So I´m a bit worried how this will be written out to feel natural and believable.

My favorite line of the night was after Carol asked Ezekiel for the ring and he says," But I prepared a speech."  Of course you have King.  Of.  Course.  You.  Have!  LOL!

Oh yes! :D I thought the same. ;) He is darling. And I also have noticed what someone mentioned, how he can be just himself with Carol, without the role mask of the King. Loving that!

I heard someone to say how this show is "turning to a soap opera", but I really really enjoy it like this! I think after some bad times it really seems to work well again. :) I love that we see more people in one episode! And that there is a lot going on. Of course it´s part of the introduction of the new time, but I hope they would keep that. Also the little mysteries like Jadis noticing the helicopter, the savior catched in the ending, very enjoyable.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Hold the friggin' phone...! Another mysterious aircraft spotted in a Jadis related scene?!!! I thought the first one was just poor editing...what with Rick standing in front of a terrible high school production green screen. You know,... outsourced to New Dehli or something. But now a second sighting?!!! This is big, people...really big. Maybe it was Trump? Or the French! Or... good God... have the zombies learned the science of modern avionics? Oh boy... shit just got real... buckle my friends...

Maybe the Zombie apocalypse is a population control experiment that she is part of.   There's a secret location where the forces behind it all live, a secure location that is huge and walled off.  The people who live there are vaccinated from the zombie infection.

The helicopter is running   scouting missions  to see how many living humans are still out there so they can find them and kill them one day.  

Yeah, I know none of that is in the comic book but at this point I figure screw it... why not do something crazy bordering on absurd? 

Nareen

Nareen

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

Something small that I caught on a rewatch and liked: as Eugene, Rick and Rosita are talking in the camp, Eugene spies someone with a maimed, fingerless hand winding a rope or something.  Must have been the result of Eugene's faulty ammo and I thought it was a nice call back.

Nothing can recapture the magic of the first couple of seasons of TWD - the series' age, creative mistakes, viewer boredom and so on preclude that.  But for the most part I enjoyed these last two episodes because they are about survival in every sense of the word, not just bashing zombies.   And naive as Rick's attempt to realize Carl's idealistic vision might be, they are more hopeful, more about life than death.  At least for now..

BitBrit

BitBrit

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationNorth West England
I did vote good but I got a bit eye rolling over Aaron saying how this is the future and Rick is amazing etc. I half want it to go a bit wrong for him!

Also I felt there was a little bit too much 'hooking up' although I do forget there's been a big time jump.

I'm glad Maggie has released Earl. And it was nice hearing her talk of her dad.

I also missed the helicopter!

I noticed a couple of amputees this episode, not sure if it was foreshadowing Aarons accident, or just trying to give a realistic edge of those that have survived with likely these injuries.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!