Season 9, Episode 1 ~ A New Beginning ~ Review

A New Beginning

Episode 1 (29 )

episode 1

1. Excellent ~ Just what I love about TWD (10 [34.48%])

34.48%

2. Good ~ Really like it, but wanted a few things done differetly (12 [41.38%])

41.38%

3. Fair ~ Not what I expected (7 [24.14%])

24.14%

4. Poor ~ I was ready to gouge my eyes out (0 [0.00%])

0.00%

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

Mosher, did you get through the tornadoes all right?  We just had a two day power outage in my neighborhood.

we didn't even lose power. All of my co-workers lost power for at least two days. My son's school area was hit hard. It was a wake up call around here. I'm from nebraska originally, but I didn't miss tornados.

Deadheads

Deadheads

Infected

• Members
  • LocationMinnesota

They definitely have mentioned that walkers decay continually as they linger, and we've seen old walkers that were incapacitated by their own decay before.

However, I agree with you about the numbers of new walkers dwindling. I think they will exist as plot convenience dictates going forward, and not worry much about whether they have too many new zombies.

Also, I was just speculating based on past truths about walkers. Like I said, the basement zombies put the lie to my assertion, but that might be just TWD's own lack of consistency. The street level walkers definitely seemed to be slowed by decay. I very well could be wrong.

The walkers under the glass could have been people that were bunking up there. we did see tents in the main hall. so maybe others were downstairs thinking it was safer. only to trap the walkers in..

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

The walkers under the glass could have been people that were bunking up there. we did see tents in the main hall. so maybe others were downstairs thinking it was safer. only to trap the walkers in..

that makes sense. For whatever reason they died later, either stuck, slaughtered by an unknown enemy, or mass suicide. I'll accept it.

BitBrit

BitBrit

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationNorth West England
I liked this episode. I was a little baffled by the absence of significant numbers of walkers in the city, especially considering when Rick went on horseback to a city in the first series. Perhaps they had worked on clearing fencing the area beforehand?
There are still herds of walkers though, Maggie mentioned how long it takes them to clear the roads when they were re routed by the broken bridge which I think someone said another herd had brought down.
I'd imagine the saviour building is considered safe and houses a lot of people, but equally that many dependants is half the problem.
Why won't Maggie visit Alexandria? Is it just memories or something more?
Gutted to find out this is Rick and Maggie last season.
Was Enid seriously injured to be in a wheelchair?

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

I liked this episode. I was a little baffled by the absence of significant numbers of walkers in the city, especially considering when Rick went on horseback to a city in the first series. Perhaps they had worked on clearing fencing the area beforehand?
There are still herds of walkers though, Maggie mentioned how long it takes them to clear the roads when they were re routed by the broken bridge which I think someone said another herd had brought down.
I'd imagine the saviour building is considered safe and houses a lot of people, but equally that many dependants is half the problem.
Why won't Maggie visit Alexandria? Is it just memories or something more?
Gutted to find out this is Rick and Maggie last season.
Was Enid seriously injured to be in a wheelchair?

She hit her head quite hard, maybea concussion?

Nareen

Nareen

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

Enid did hit her head on something after Earl threw her off.  It seems likely that it would have been mentioned if she was permanently injured.

I took it that Maggie won't go to Alexandria because Negan is still alive there. Rick probably wants her to return because then he can continue in his delusion that the past is behind them.  

I am aware that in the comic 

Spoiler

Not only is that unrealistic, it's also unsatisfying.  So they'll do it.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

Enid did hit her head on something after Earl threw her off.  It seems likely that it would have been mentioned if she was permanently injured.

I took it that Maggie won't go to Alexandria because Negan is still alive there. Rick probably wants her to return because then he can continue in his delusion that the past is behind them.  

Spoiler

If she can hang Gregory despite his continued inability to commit murder, but give Negan a pass because of....reasons? That would be impossible to allow and horribly out of character. 

I hope if she ever gets a chance she succeeds. 

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationChicago area

This. but mostly because the Sanctuary was where he was tortured and placed on display as a menial slave. Bringing him back to that World, even with the intent of having him be in charge and building a better world out of it, is just asking for a host of psychological issues and PTSD.

Putting Daryl in charge of Sanctuary was a terrible idea. 

His personality is ill-suited to such things. 

Daryl likes to be on the move, out hunting, scavenging and stuff. Managing a settlement seems like it would be hell for him, even if he didn't hate the settlers (which he does in this case, I think). 

"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members

If she can hang Gregory despite his continued inability to commit murder, but give Negan a pass because of....reasons? That would be impossible to allow and horribly out of character. 

I hope if she ever gets a chance she succeeds. 

Spoiler

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

Spoiler

Spoiler

omegaman

omegaman

Roamer

• Members

Spoiler

Spoiler

Nareen

Nareen

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

Spoiler

Agreed that satisfaction is in the eye of the beholder.

These eyes will not be satisfied until Negan is gone - dead or vanished  - from TWD television series. There is nothing they could do to redeem for me unless he sacrifices himself and dies saving Judith.  I'd be OK with that. 

Negan didn't just get drunk and try to kill someone who he felt had wronged him.  Negan systematically and cold-bloodedly killed, tortured and maimed scores of people, sexually preyed upon a number of women, held people in servitude, extorted from others, and gave every appearance of enjoying it all.  Those that were killed by his minions rather than Negan himself are still his responsibility.  There is no coming back from that.  It would be like giving Hitler a pass.

I don't care what happens in the comic, which I will never read, but I've been told by a couple of comic fans and read remarks on line by others that the comic has been crap for a while now.  Again, a matter of opinion.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

Agreed that satisfaction is in the eye of the beholder.

These eyes will not be satisfied until Negan is gone - dead or vanished  - from TWD television series. There is nothing they could do to redeem for me unless he sacrifices himself and dies saving Judith.  I'd be OK with that. 

Negan didn't just get drunk and try to kill someone who he felt had wronged him.  Negan systematically and cold-bloodedly killed, tortured and maimed scores of people, sexually preyed upon a number of women, held people in servitude, extorted from others, and gave every appearance of enjoying it all.  Those that were killed by his minions rather than Negan himself are still his responsibility.  There is no coming back from that.  It would be like giving Hitler a pass.

I don't care what happens in the comic, which I will never read, but I've been told by a couple of comic fans and read remarks on line by others that the comic has been crap for a while now.  Again, a matter of opinion.

That's how I feel as well, as a viewer. As

Spoiler

auximenes

auximenes

Lurker

• Members

Much better overall then most of the more recent episodes but I still had some criticisms.

They try to act all smart and safe but then throw that out the window with the dumb move of dragging the wagon across the entirety of the glass floor when they could have avoided crossing the majority of it.

The worst was the scene where the young man died trying to save the horses. If he saw Walkers, why didn't he say something? Why did they try to run in the first place when a pair of people dispatched most of the Walkers on their own? Why would you travel and not have people specifically tasked to guard the horses?

Two steps forward, one step back.

Also, the way Gregory was hung. He didn't drop so he would have died slowly from asphyxiation and not a severed spinal column. I haven't watched the next episode yet which I'm sure cements whether Gregory is actually dead or not but I could definitely see him not being dead with the way he was hung.

Alessia2

Alessia2

Lurker

• Members

Finally time to come back and write! :D

I voted excellent. I really enjoyed this episode, since the beginning everything looked better. It seemed to be carefully made better in every way; the sceneries and settings, moods, dialogue, showing us about all the characters instead of just few. We even got normally speaking Daryl with slight haircut and he seemed cleaner as well! ;) I loved the museum setting; in general it was awesome to see them somewhere else than at home! I liked the cool and clever things in museum; the developing of human was nice! Also the first museum walker with the creepy hands coming visible, I liked that kind of effects.

What comes to breaking glass floor, it was very obvious it was going to break, still though I don´t believe either it would have been so easily broken. But I accept the idea maybe it was somehow already weakened by time, something dropped on it from the ceiling when they went up the stairs and maybe there were some earlier damage that didn´t yet show, as there clearly were people trying to live in there before? Lame excuses but I can accept that, because it was a cool scene.

I may just have missed it earlier, but for me it felt odd and very creepy how (before them going in museum) there was shown a walker that was sitting down, then getting up and started walking. It felt like back to beginning of series to me, how walkers climbed and tried to open doors and carried things. I didn´t think they´d sit down and get up again or lean onto anything as long as they are in walker state. Just hang there standing and stopping or walking. And it felt unreal for me that guy had just died there and stayed in sitting position until this very moment, as there for sure had been some movement before this.

I´m a big Caryl shipper, but loved to see Carol smiling and feel happy she has been happy with Ezekiel. I can trust there will be time for her relationship with Daryl later. He still needs to grow. But I truly loved the scene of them sitting together at night. Whatever they are to themselves, it is deeper than anything else in this show, and I love it! <3

I liked Maggie´s new position and baby Hershel is super cute! As well as Judith. Really lovely to see also many serene and sweet scenes, still though they probably are there mainly to be contrast to the darker things starting to happen. I was happy to get rid of Gregory, and I think Maggie did right to make it public instead just killing him alone in secret. But still, killing a part of community will lead to troubles to her, for sure...

I enjoyed this premiere more than the previous couple of seasons, I have to say. 

Rick seems to be really naive.  In trying to fulfill Carl's wishes he seems to be making bad decisions. Putting Daryl in charge of Sanctuary was a terrible idea.

Daryl likes to be on the move, out hunting, scavenging and stuff. Managing a settlement seems like it would be hell for him, even if he didn't hate the settlers (which he does in this case, I think). 

Yes, again bad thinking of Rick. He wants someone he knows and trusts in charge, but how can he not see how difficult position it is for Daryl? Maybe for himself it would be meaning he could feel like getting over it, when taking over the place where you once were in slavery, but for sure Daryl doesn´t feel that way...

I took it that Maggie won't go to Alexandria because Negan is still alive there.

I believe this is the case.

cornjob

cornjob

Lurker

• Members

I finally started getting to the DVRd episodes and saw this premiere.  I don't usually vote a rating, but I liked it.

I agree the sitting to stand walker struck me as strange behavior for a walker. I actually thought maybe it was a person disguised like a walker at first, but then it became obvious that wasn't the case. 

The type of glass floor you can see through is not at all like the one they  portrayed. I had a hard time believing any of that stuff.  They were also stupid, since they were clearly worried about the wagon crossing the glass, not to move everything else across first before the wagon. It felt very contrived to create some drama. 

That was a very inhumane way to execute Gregory. The point of a hanging is to drop and break the neck, killing instantly. Not to dangle and slowly suffocate. It was botched.  

After watching FTWD, it was nice to see a show with some colors again. That show is so washed out grey tones that it distracts me. 

I don't understand Daryl in charge at the Factory.  I don't actually understand the Sanctuary as a settlement at all.  Were there any other subservient communities?  It seems like there were several more than the few we know about that conspired in the rebellion.  Where are they?  What is their status? 

I don't have very high hopes for where this program goes if you subtract Rick and Maggie.  But I imagine they'll be spending all the time left this season trying to set up roles for other characters to take on the leadership. But I don't find it believable if that's Michonne, Daryl, etc.  Maybe Carol I could believe as a leader, and definitely Ezekiel since he's already shown that aptitude.  Are they going to try and groom someone new? Putting Daryl in charge of the Sanctuary is not promising. 

I plan to watch the rest of the season, but I'm more interested in other shows right now, and don't watch that much TV in the first place. I'm not sure at what pace I'll get through these. The discussion on this board seems a bit muted, so maybe that's a signal that others are losing interest too.

Bug

Bug

Zombie Herder

• Moderators
Nice to to see your post. I didn't like the glass floor either. Despite that I do think the writing has improved a bit. I'm not sure how the show will really do without Rick.

Because Rick is fine they are assigning new roles to the characters, which has to be done. They have a new story, but there's something else that's already happened during that time jump they're slowly unveiling. I don't care for this slow reveal.

I hope you keep posting as you watch each episode. It's been lonely in here.

cornjob

cornjob

Lurker

• Members

I'll put some thoughts as I work my way through.  It mostly feels like I'm talking to myself, but I haven't read the threads for episodes I haven't gotten to yet, so I'm just late to the conversation. 

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members

The show is definitely improved with Kang in charge instead of Gimple. The biggest hurdle is of course can the show survive long term without Rick, Maggie, or Carl. The ratings are still good when viewed in context, and not comparing them to season 5.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!