Photo

Season 9, Episode 1 ~ A New Beginning ~ Review

A New Beginning

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: Episode 1 (29 member(s) have cast votes)

episode 1

1. Excellent ~ Just what I love about TWD (10 votes [34.48%])

Percentage of vote: 34.48%

2. Good ~ Really like it, but wanted a few things done differetly (12 votes [41.38%])

Percentage of vote: 41.38%

3. Fair ~ Not what I expected (7 votes [24.14%])

Percentage of vote: 24.14%

4. Poor ~ I was ready to gouge my eyes out (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Bug

Bug

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Moderators
  • 6,576 posts

It's finally here.  Sunday Oct 7th is the premier of Season 9:

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members
  • 504 posts
I thought this was a quite good episode that set up the first half of this season quite nicely.

Some thoughts:

1) Gregory is dead, Huzzah!
2) I have no spoilers, but since Ezekiel is with Carol, he is so dead.
3) I like Maggie & Daryl this episode.
4) Boy, Brett Butler sure has aged.

I feel good about this season!

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • 1,286 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln

They spent more time on Ken's death and the aftermath than they did on Carl's  :lol:  :lol:

I already liked that episode moreso than most of the episodes the past two seasons. 

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members
  • 504 posts
@farswell7: I agree completely about this episode being better than anything the past two seasons.

mADAM Scorpious

mADAM Scorpious

Biter

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • LocationChemical Valley, Canada eh!

i loved that the dialogue wasn't purely plot driven.

Madam Scorpious <~<133€
http://nythe-scorpious.blogspot.ca/

Pickles312

Pickles312

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 195 posts

I love the direction the conflict is going. Complex with a lot of dynamics. Nothings black and white. Tied to the comics a bit, but they've seen that given the situation with some key characters, some things have to be done differently. I thought it was great.

Only problems I had originally were the glass floor scene and the kid dying. Both were extremely predictable and formulaic. I understand the need for the kid to die to advance the plot, but the glass floor was a little silly because everyone could see the problems from a mile away.

Regardless, awesome episode. I'd be more excited if I didn't know Rick and Maggie were done this season, but I'll stay as optimistic as I can given that the product looked pretty great.

Bug

Bug

• Moderators
  • 6,576 posts
I was apprehensive because Carl's gone and this is the last season for Rick and Maggie. Still it was better than I'd expected. Some things did strike me odd. Why was everyone so nervous about walking on the glass floor, then willing to take that wagon down the stairs onto it? I also thought that the plow broke too easily when dropped. After seeing that I wouldn't trust being behind one being pulled thru a field. Then again, what do I know about plows?

Carol has lost so many that she's cared about that I get why she didn't accept Ezekiel's proposal. She's scared of another loss. At least she's not locking herself away anymore.

Getting rid of Gregory was overdo. Sneaky, dirty, opportunist manipulating those grieving parents try to kill Maggie. Grrrrrr.

There were some tender moments that were sweet.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,348 posts
  • LocationOhio

I was apprehensive because Carl's gone and this is the last season for Rick and Maggie. Still it was better than I'd expected. Some things did strike me odd. Why was everyone so nervous about walking on the glass floor, then willing to take that wagon down the stairs onto it? I also thought that the plow broke too easily when dropped. After seeing that I wouldn't trust being behind one being pulled thru a field. Then again, what do I know about plows?

Carol has lost so many that she's cared about that I get why she didn't accept Ezekiel's proposal. She's scared of another loss. At least she's not locking herself away anymore.

Getting rid of Gregory was overdo. Sneaky, dirty, opportunist manipulating those grieving parents try to kill Maggie. Grrrrrr.

There were some tender moments that were sweet.

Getting those tools weren't for use. They were for using them to copy the builds. So they could make more tools.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 2,112 posts

Excellent, though the season premieres typically are.

A couple touches early that I loved were the creepy hands of the first walker they encountered, and then the spider walker. Both gave the episode a horror element that has been missing from the show for a long time.

I loved what Kang said on Talking Dead about Gregory's death. Paraphrasing, she said we know it's going to happen so why not just get to it right away so we can move on to other things. Loved it. Gimple would've tried to make a 5 episode arc out of it. Some may say it was too fast, but we've seen enough of Gregory's conniving to make it believable.

Daryl leading the Sanctuary was a bit too much for me. Granted, it's been a year and a half, but them accepting Daryl as their leader doesn't seem right.

I'm not sure what future the show will have without Andrew Lincoln and Lauren Cohen, but for now, and granted it's only one episode, but I liked it. I saw enough to know this will be different than Gimple's vision of what TWD should be and for me that's enough.

gilbert

gilbert

Infected

• Members
  • 31 posts

We all thought Gregory would have been taken out by Lucille BUT this was actually better.  I'm trying figure out how they are going to have Rick leave, I kinda want them to kill him off, with Negan trying to save him (which will make Negan human in others eyes - which would add to the tug of war inside of Negan)  Loved it that my favorite pirate is on the show, Justin, he was in Black Sails, for us girls always nice to look at!  Maggie had to do what needed to be done, especially after the attack and could have hurt baby Glen.

I enjoyed the show, didn't realize I missed the show....normally Fear the walking dead fills that void, not this time

RIP Herschel....very sad 

Jgreenwood

Jgreenwood

Roamer

• Members
  • 488 posts

We all thought Gregory would have been taken out by Lucille BUT this was actually better.  I'm trying figure out how they are going to have Rick leave, I kinda want them to kill him off, with Negan trying to save him (which will make Negan human in others eyes - which would add to the tug of war inside of Negan)  Loved it that my favorite pirate is on the show, Justin, he was in Black Sails, for us girls always nice to look at!  Maggie had to do what needed to be done, especially after the attack and could have hurt baby Glen.

I enjoyed the show, didn't realize I missed the show....normally Fear the walking dead fills that void, not this time

RIP Herschel....very sad 

Isn't the baby's name Hershel? I swear I heard her say "I've got to get home to Hershel" at some point.

Bug

Bug

• Moderators
  • 6,576 posts
Yes, Maggie named the baby after her father. I thought it sweet and even more so with Scott Wilson's passing Sat.

@ Mr NomNom, thanks for clarifying that for me. :)

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members
  • 406 posts

Very disapointed with how it went out with Gregory.

It used to be actual plot in the source material, with tension slowly raising after Maggie rule created discontent left and right, with Gregory taking advantage of it, but the question was the very stability of the Hilltop.

Here, it just feel like an afterthought. Jeez, do we still have to pay Xander Berkely paychecks ? Let's remove his name from the credits ASAP.

Seems like they exploited the character the best when he was less plot relevant, and dropped him as soon as he was about to be...

Edited by naossano, 08 October 2018 - 05:29 PM.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,348 posts
  • LocationOhio

Very disapointed with how it went out with Gregory.

It used to be actual plot in the source material, with tension slowly raising after Maggie rule created discontent left and right, with Gregory taking advantage of it, but the question was the very stability of the Hilltop.

Here, it just feel like an afterthought. Jeez, do we still have to pay Xander Berkely paychecks ? Let's remove his name from the credits ASAP.

Seems like they exploited the character the best when he was less plot relevant, and dropped him as soon as he was about to be...

To me it was a very typical walking dead episode. You knew what was coming when it was coming.

I'm glad Gregory is done and over with. It's obvious Maggie is telling Rick and michonne. You do what you want but murderer's will pay the consequences at hilltop.

I didnt want to see the Gregory thing drag out. I had enough of him.

To me it was just a normal episode and it was getting high praise from a lot of people hyping it up instead of the cast.

I like it more than season 6,7,and 8. Again the walking dead is known for starting strong. It's staying with a good story that's the problem.

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • 715 posts
  • LocationChicago area

I thought it was Excellent (and it's been awhile since I rated TWD episodes that high). There were a few not thought out flaws or weak points, but nothing that took me out of the episode or created a tough suspension of belief moment.

The time jump is okay here, and if they don't want 8 year old turning 18 in 18 months it's necessary. It also, unlike FTWD, puts us in a good place for moving the series forward. The time jump covers Maggie's showing (or lack there of) and puts us past the immediate drama we were left with, which in this case would have been a drag on the series moving forward. Watching the characters THINK and make SMART decisions about getting materials and supplies, and building a World was pleasant to see. Likewise the base building of tension in the individual communities not yet under a common agreement and law does make for good plot development. The characters are not acting feral, or particularly stupid right now, it's good to see real people on the show again.

and to build on the weaknesses of the communities, the Sanctuary in particular, will be a good headline for the story that is this season.

Weaknesses: The old glass floor gimmick. Those floors, by the way, can take a hell of a punishment. I get the drama scene with Ezekiel, but honestly it should have held, maybe only cracking at worst, even with the stone and walker drops. Not a bad thing though, the suspension of disbelief was easy. It was also good to see large building full of amazingly useful stuff NOT chock full o walkers, just a system failure allowing basement entry and containment and a few spares wandering the upper floors. Creepy hands walker scored as my favorite walker in quite awhile too! Spider walker, not so much. Yeah- the spider thing was creepy-ish. Just not the CGI ones running around like a bad remake of Arachnophobia or Eight Legged Freaks.

I expected to lose an ancillary character at least this episode, but it was NICE when it happened. Maybe I didn't know the guy or care, but the show didn't try to hard to make me. Instead it showed me the people who did Love and Care for him and how they fell apart, sniped at each other, it felt real. It did lead to a premature Gregory death (I would have been happier if he had some intrigue and long term planning and not an opportunistic take on the situation). Because of how he used the alcohol to separate the grieving parents and manipulated the drunk Dad to attack Maggie I give him okay kudos. I would have hoped for a different, multi episode undermining though.

Maggie dispatched Gregory properly, the way Rick should have dispatched Negan. I don't think Rick missed that, nor her desire to protect her people and negotiate. She is a strong and amazing woman, growing beyond the others in leadership skills. I definitely Team Maggie. She is what the future of that world need. I'm sorry the kids saw it, but Michonne's outburst was more harmful than helpful. The kid's should not have to see it, but if they do, composure and adults moving in a purposeful and calm, direct manner create the law of the land for them. This is the World they live in, the past few seasons have shown that. Best to make a unified adult World for them to understand than to ask questions why people don't agree.

I thought the episode was well executed and written, and enjoyed watching it in a way I haven't for a long time.

Edited by Stan, 08 October 2018 - 08:07 PM.

"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,348 posts
  • LocationOhio
It's funny to me after what 2 seasons? Some people the Gregory thing should have lasted longer. I'm glad it's done and over with. We knew what kind of guy he was. Let's face it if the man stays alive it's more chances to kill maggie.

ssnider75

ssnider75

Lurker

• Members
  • 227 posts

I am of two minds on the time jump. On one hand, I am glad that we have gotten past the immediate aftermath of the war. On the other hand, it is a "get out of jail free" card for a lot of crap that has built up.

For instance, everyone is cool with the junk lady even though she double-crossed the group about million times. Also, are they just dropping the whole helicopter thing from last season?

Are zombies just way more scarce now? How did they do all this LOUD rebuilding without bringing down every zombie in the region? Same with DC. They kill like 8 on the street in front of the museum and the the way is clear? How were the horses not eaten while they were inside? How did they loudly get all of that heavy equipment outside, hooked up and then out of the City without being overwhelmed? There were more zombies under the glass floor than in the rest of DC? Ok.

When the wagon got stuck, the zombies showed up and there were maybe 20-25 of them. By this point, every single living person has likely killed hundreds of zombies. Why run? It was shown that they could easily just kill them all when they actually did it AFTER the kid got bit. I know why they needed the kid to die but they way it was presented made no sense. There were too many so they ran and the kid got bit saving a horse. Then, because he was bit magically there are no longer too many are our group kills them all?

Finally, Darryl is right about growing crops at the factory. The dirt there is likely saturated with chemicals and you can't grow crops. Why not just explain that to the people living there? I think any reasonable person would understand it.

xpoc454

xpoc454

Infected

• Members
  • 67 posts

I voted fair.

The best parts for me were:

The looks to have spent a couple dollars on the zombies.  Hand, spider zombie were nice.  There was also one with a jacked up jaw that looked cool.  Nice to see them spend a few dollars for once.  

They new intro scene was also cool.

Herschel baby was a very nice tribute.

Gregory dying is a win.

Bad parts:

We all know rick and Maggie are going away. This part will be hard for me to get past no matter what.

The glass floor was ridiculous as others said. At least walk on the metal supports :P

I guess it was lucky for them to find a large city like Washington dc that doesn't have tons of walkers wandering around.  Unlike any other large town or bigger they have been to?

I'm dreading the season story that will drag out.  People are going to get mad at each other and do something stupid.  I guess its a nice break from the generic walking dead villain we keep getting! :)

p.s. I thought the lady was going to die, when the pushers of the cart over the glass floor started tying themselves to this heavy cart.  

I guess it worked out for the king!

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  • LocationOttawa

I enjoyed this episode. It was a bit corny at times, but on the whole characters made decisions that had some fashion of logic to them. Compared to last season they've become geniuses.

I like the tension between characters we've known for a long time. Now that they are settled and no longer in absolute dependency upon one another they are having leadership conflicts. In a good way. My family and friends would also have conflicts once the job of immediate survival was over. Conflicts over the legal system. Conflicts over citizenship. Conflicts over resource management and trade arrangements. These are important and brings the show back to being character driven. Common enemies are fine, but for the last couple of years the show threw out personalities in favor of assembling monolithic armies with singular agendas. Having these differences of opinions, particularly between people who love each other but feel the weight of responsibility that impairs their ability to compromise- that is enough tension to need no new bad guy. 

I don't want a new bad guy, not for quite some time. I want time to build characters back into developed persons and time to allow new characters to feel real. I fear they will rush the resolutions or sidetrack them out of a misguided need for another Boss Level bad guy. I hope they move slow, there's a lot to work with already between a resource starved Savior community, a resource independent Hilltop that is ready to lay down law, a depleted Kingdom that needs to be friends with everyone, an Oceanside community that only recently threw off their self imposed shackles of isolationism. And of course Rick's Alexandria that still thinks it can lead.

The overly emotional loss of that old couple's son was too much, but I get what they wanted and it worked to move Gregory toward the only outcome he could have. It also set up Maggie as an independent leader who will conflict nicely with Rick. Honest conflict born of problems that make sense. It's a good outcome out of a bad idea. Probably should have been at the end of episode two in order for us to feel more for the loss of that young man. 

I also thought even bothering to bring back the wagon was unnecessarily risky. They can build a wagon. The scavenging itself was fine. 

I have no problem with them running from walkers when they could easily kill them all. ALL walker confrontations are dangerous, and it was always wrong of the show to treat them as otherwise. Sure they'll win every fight, but one slip in the mud, one ankle turning wrong, and you get a little nibble. You still win the fight, but you're dead anyway. It shouldn't be worth it in the situation they were in, so running was the right decision and the fact that they cleared the walkers anyway doesn't demonstrate otherwise. 

I gave this episode a 'good' and I'm hopeful for that to continue. The garbage lady should have been exiled or executed, as should have Gregory, a long time ago. Negan too, but at least he's in jail. The characters know better and Gregory proved it once again. I'm certain the garbage lady will prove a great team member, but in real life I think our heroes would never have given her that third shot. Kang already has shown she cares nothing for the bad ideas of her predecessor, she should have fixed those issues too. Well, she did get rid of Greg quick.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  • LocationOttawa

On the city zombies, those were very old walkers on the whole, almost expired, and we already know old walkers are slow and decayed. So they weren't massing because they can't. The basement walkers make that false, which is an in-show inconsistency. But that's what they were trying to show street level. 

ssnider75

ssnider75

Lurker

• Members
  • 227 posts

On the city zombies, those were very old walkers on the whole, almost expired, and we already know old walkers are slow and decayed. So they weren't massing because they can't. The basement walkers make that false, which is an in-show inconsistency. But that's what they were trying to show street level. 

If that is the way the zombies are going to be going forward then that is fine but I doubt they do it that way. I was trying to remember but in the past 1-2 seasons didn't they even talk about not going to DC due to a high amount of zombies? That small group of zombies they killed before entering the museum appeared to be decayed but the amount of noise the group made plus the horses should have brought zombies from everywhere.

Logic would tell you that there really shouldn't be a lot of new zombies anymore as there aren't any new people to turn but that has not been the case overall. We still see zombies in all different stages of decomposition.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  • LocationOttawa

If that is the way the zombies are going to be going forward then that is fine but I doubt they do it that way. I was trying to remember but in the past 1-2 seasons didn't they even talk about not going to DC due to a high amount of zombies? That small group of zombies they killed before entering the museum appeared to be decayed but the amount of noise the group made plus the horses should have brought zombies from everywhere.

Logic would tell you that there really shouldn't be a lot of new zombies anymore as there aren't any new people to turn but that has not been the case overall. We still see zombies in all different stages of decomposition.

They definitely have mentioned that walkers decay continually as they linger, and we've seen old walkers that were incapacitated by their own decay before.

However, I agree with you about the numbers of new walkers dwindling. I think they will exist as plot convenience dictates going forward, and not worry much about whether they have too many new zombies.

Also, I was just speculating based on past truths about walkers. Like I said, the basement zombies put the lie to my assertion, but that might be just TWD's own lack of consistency. The street level walkers definitely seemed to be slowed by decay. I very well could be wrong.

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members
  • 406 posts

It's funny to me after what 2 seasons? Some people the Gregory thing should have lasted longer. I'm glad it's done and over with. We knew what kind of guy he was. Let's face it if the man stays alive it's more chances to kill maggie.

It makes sense that he gets executed after his assassination attempt. But they could have exploited the plot bettter, with Maggie becoming increasingly harsh, making enemies within the community, and having Gregory take that opportunity to make his move, and Maggie executing him creating a drift with her moderate support, while not entirelly crossing out her list of enemies. With Gregory out of the picture so soon, i doubt they would go that route.

About Negan, if Carl AND Rick are out of the picture, i doubt he would outlives them that much. He has no bonds with other characters, and the actor seems to be expensive.

Edited by naossano, 10 October 2018 - 12:17 AM.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • 2,536 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Gotta be honest, I lost interest in the show to the point where I didn't even realize that the premiere happened until I got an email from AMC asking "Did you miss The Walking Dead Season Premiere?" 

Lucky for me I still have the DVR set to record it and I just watched it. 

I have to say this was a really good start. 

I enjoyed this premiere more than the previous couple of seasons, I have to say. 

Rick seems to be really naive.  In trying to fulfill Carl's wishes he seems to be making bad decisions. Putting Daryl in charge of Sanctuary was a terrible idea. 

His personality is ill-suited to such things. 

Daryl likes to be on the move, out hunting, scavenging and stuff. Managing a settlement seems like it would be hell for him, even if he didn't hate the settlers (which he does in this case, I think). 

Edited by Deadpelican, 10 October 2018 - 05:28 AM.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Nareen

Nareen

Roamer

• Members
  • 830 posts
  • LocationCanada

I thought that this episode was the best we’ve seen for a long time, though that’s not saying much.  IMO the time jump was a good idea, as it let the dust settle after the AOW and Carl’s death. 

Finally, the survivors are running out of operable cars and gas for them. It was an interesting idea to have them going after technology that could serve as templates for blacksmiths and carpenters and could be made by hand.  They need animal or human powered tech that they can manufacture and maintain themselves.  

I was thinking Star Trek when I saw all the main cast, including the leaders of the communities,  on the away mission to the museum, but it was a good way to bring them all together for once and good to see them together.  Maybe the glass floor was a bit predictable and hokey and maybe it would have worked better if the glass had cracked as they moved the one item they couldn’t take immediately off to the side – the wagon – but pinata Ezekiel was fun.

I assumed that the people who were with the group but didn’t enter the museum were guarding the horses and that scouts like Daryl, Michonne and Rick swept the route back, which worked until the wagon got mired.     To my mind, it’s more sensible to run away from walkers (though not to leave the valuable and easily freed horse), especially after Carl died for no reason.  But sometimes they can’t run, as when they have someone down, and so they fight and win.

Carol/Ezekiel was not too surprising after the interaction and hand-holding last season.   It seems to work, though I’m aware of a few Caryl shippers who are devastated.   I loved Carol’s response to Ezekiel’s proposal and his reaction to that.  I also loved the scene between Carol and Daryl.  

I heard that Norman Reedus refused to ride a horse and is sticking to his motorcycle.  So maybe the failed crops at the Sanctuary served two purposes: to make the Saviours situation more dire and to provide the raw material to make ethanol.  It seems stupid to stay at a factory and try to grow crops there when there appears to be ample farmland all around.  Presumably the factory is safe and its inhabitants don’t want to move.

The meat of the episode started with the death of poor Ken,   To me it didn’t matter that we the audience didn’t know him or particularly care that he died.  It was clear that other people, like Maggie, did care about him and the entire A plot turned on that.  I didn’t find the parent’s grief excessive because grief often spawns irrational anger. 

Go Maggie!   For me, Rick’s assumption that he is in charge of all the communities is irritating and presumptuous and Michonne is enabling him.  I think that the two of them are so set on making Carl’s two day old dream of the future happen that they are losing track of reality.  I liked how Maggie pushed back against both Rick and Michonne when they talked to her.

That being said, if they are concerned about Maggie’s leadership style, they do have some reason.  Gregory was an ongoing danger to the community and to Maggie and had to go.  Exiling people just creates bandits.  But Maggie shouldn’t be making unilateral decisions about such things: there should have been some sort of trial and other judges than just Maggie. Then they should have hung Gregory.  

RIP Gregory - great character, fine acting, horrible person.

Another plus: no Negan, though that won’t last. 

To me this episode was what TWD should be about: well-meaning people and the competition for dwindling resources, the clash of leadership styles and the struggle to cooperate, different visions of the future, ongoing resentments over perceived or actual unfairness and so on.  Human stuff.  Like Mosher,  I too could do without still another big bad for a while, forever actually.

Mosher, did you get through the tornadoes all right?  We just had a two day power outage in my neighborhood. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!