Photo

Fear The Walking Dead Episode 413 ~ A Friendly Conversation ~ Review

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Fear the Walking Dear season 413 (14 member(s) have cast votes)

A Friendly Conversation Poll

1. Excellent ~ What I love about the show. (2 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. Good ~ I liked it, but would have like a few things to have been done differently. (4 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. Fair ~ It was ok. (8 votes [57.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

4. Poor ~ I was disappointed. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Bug

Bug

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Moderators
  • 7,026 posts

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • 722 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Four votes almost 24 hours after it airs and I'm the first commenting...that alone speaks volumes.

I voted Fair. It wasn't poor, but that's about all I can say about that.

Some attempted John moments with the raft and his hopes, but not overly realistic for people who are a few years into a walking dead apocalypse...or anyone who has watched National Geographic once.

The action was contrived, the macguffin silly, and the ending barely momentous. River crossing is rough- maybe walkers, then an alligator. Must be a huge one or ones (only saw one trail in the water) to eat that many walkers that quickly and still be hungry for the raft. Of course if he was patient they come up to sun and regulate body temperature...so then all the sudden the water way might be a tad more predictable. Was he giving up by eating the candy? No, just changing his game plan to pay attention in class and do something normal people might do instead...I hope. Strand was pretty much there to be an alcoholic dick, so whatever. No real character development since the military quarantine we met him in back during season one, just a little more for himself than purposefully using others like tools.

Lucy had the best plot round with the truck driver encounter and the box tie in. That, properly written, could have been it's own bottle episode and a good one at that.

Team Morgan and the wayward truck are just off the grid unrealistic now. Broadcasting everything in the clear when you know a hostile and crazy force is listening, announcing locations and intent is just stupid. The Nightmare on Elm Street wheelchair was over the top as well. They are all comic book and no realism. I almost couldn't watch the ending because of the characters. Granted, they must have forgotten that SWAT van has plot fuel amounts and the unlocked game code for unlimited ammo...but that still doesn't wash. The van is pulling up and not ONE person familiar with it remembers there are machine guns on the roof? No one could have maybe hinted that the semi shouldn't let them pass on the right? I assume, of course, that Al had a detailed owner's manual which tells invaders and car thieves how everything works, because everyone who has taken it this season seems very well versed in using it's hidden assets very quickly. I don't know, this writing and development seems very, very sloppy to me. I did not enjoy it at all.

I don't know who crazy strong or weak lady is, and honestly I have no interest in her. I really hope the next few episodes are a LOT better than this one.

The Lucy scenes, as short as they were, kept this episode from being poor.

"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members
  • 514 posts

I voted excellent, but I could have gone good. As usual, I liked how it actually looked post-apocalyptic. I also liked the story of the "dying trucker who wanted a beer."

Not sure how Strand and the cowboy got on an island--I guess it happened off screen.

It looks like the rest of this season will be our gang working to reunite, with some cliff hanger at the finale,

I am worried about The Crazy Walker Lady; in that she may be too over the top.

It does look as if, as others have noted, this is a complete re-boot with a whole new crew.

Not as good as last season. I wonder what happened to Crazy Dog?

Edited by Aolain, 10 September 2018 - 08:05 PM.

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members
  • 426 posts

Damn, i don't want anyone in that truck to bite it. While at the same time, it makes sense that one of them would.

Edited by naossano, 10 September 2018 - 09:45 PM.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 2,121 posts
  • LocationOttawa

This episode is more of the clunky writing they've chosen lately. I still like the characters on the whole, but the decision making was plot driven rather than character driven. Much of the dialog was really about setting up the show's overall plan to unite the cast into a unified group. The evil lady is a mistake as well. Right now there is enough dramatic tension between characters who should not trust each other to finish the season without a bad guy. And if the writers aren't trusted enough to make the characters grow together organically, they have the walkers as convenient devices for a 'foxhole friendship'. The purpose of the evil lady is almost certainly to give the writers a pass and allow for the unity a common enemy offers, as someone saves someone else and all is forgiven.

I'd rather them have earn each others trust through writing better scenes.

And all that said, I still like the characters. I really hope the one's merely playing archetypes get to become real people soon. Right now the show is clearly setting up their reboot. Getting us to like the characters so they can write a real season next year. All I can say is they're screwing that process up.

Hopefully they'll get back to the good stuff soon.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 2,136 posts

This episode is more of the clunky writing they've chosen lately. I still like the characters on the whole, but the decision making was plot driven rather than character driven. Much of the dialog was really about setting up the show's overall plan to unite the cast into a unified group. The evil lady is a mistake as well. Right now there is enough dramatic tension between characters who should not trust each other to finish the season without a bad guy. And if the writers aren't trusted enough to make the characters grow together organically, they have the walkers as convenient devices for a 'foxhole friendship'. The purpose of the evil lady is almost certainly to give the writers a pass and allow for the unity a common enemy offers, as someone saves someone else and all is forgiven.

I'd rather them have earn each others trust through writing better scenes.

And all that said, I still like the characters. I really hope the one's merely playing archetypes get to become real people soon. Right now the show is clearly setting up their reboot. Getting us to like the characters so they can write a real season next year. All I can say is they're screwing that process up.

Hopefully they'll get back to the good stuff soon.

I don't understand why TPTB felt the need to do a reboot in the first place.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 2,121 posts
  • LocationOttawa

I don't understand why TPTB felt the need to do a reboot in the first place.

I get that. I was enjoying the third season, but a large portion of the fan base didn't like any characters. Suddenly we have characters with quirks (endearing to some, even) coming out of the woodwork. 

I don't think it needed a reboot, I think just stumbling on interesting characters is good enough. They should have kept Alex from the plane crash, for instance. 

Accepting that they are rebooting, hopefully they will pair the interesting characters with quality writing at some point. (the Alicia/Charlie episode was excellent, though, IMO)

Zpoc

Zpoc

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 119 posts

I agree, the weird lady killer is a strange addition to the story line.  She is uninteresting.   The characters that we have been introduced to now are great, I'm really enjoying John, Laura, etc.

I actually like this show better than the last 4 seasons of TWD.  

xpoc454

xpoc454

Infected

• Members
  • 69 posts

I agree with what stan said above.

Id like to add, I wish the would have kept 'polar bear' alive.

Don;t we get enough negative from both shows? He was doing something positive and we all know what that means.

Anyone on either show that seems nice dies pretty quickly.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,359 posts
  • LocationOhio

I agree with what stan said above.
Id like to add, I wish the would have kept 'polar bear' alive.
Don;t we get enough negative from both shows? He was doing something positive and we all know what that means.
Anyone on either show that seems nice dies pretty quickly.

Both shows just seem to focus on the negative things of the apocalypse. If you any positive/good things you die. If you become the moral compass you die.

Idk how this show can't show someone good and keep them alive. It could just be a community that we never see again or unless we meet someone later and things are still fine.

Kirkman just likes dark side of things. If you ask me he likes to try and be George R. R. Martin sometimes.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • 2,540 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Eh... whatever. The stuff with the boat in the alligator was just silly. As one who has spent time in boats along rivers where alligators are routinely sighted, I know for a fact that they don't hide beneath the water waiting to attack boats. They are generally timid toward humans and don't attacked unless someone is dumb enough to mess with them. 

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members
  • 426 posts

Not TV show alligators. They always attack and never have a full belly.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
  • 9,856 posts

I get that. I was enjoying the third season, but a large portion of the fan base didn't like any characters. Suddenly we have characters with quirks (endearing to some, even) coming out of the woodwork. 

I don't think it needed a reboot, I think just stumbling on interesting characters is good enough. They should have kept Alex from the plane crash, for instance. 

Accepting that they are rebooting, hopefully they will pair the interesting characters with quality writing at some point. (the Alicia/Charlie episode was excellent, though, IMO)

I agree that the show didn't need a reboot. It seemed that it was just finding it's groove.

I'm starting to think that TPTB promised Lennie James the lead in order to get him to move to this show and that is why they killed off Madison. That was a mistake from the beginning. While Madison wasn't that likable, she was an interesting character. Although, I did start to like her more last season when she finally killed Troy, rather than letting a psycho stay with the group. The mistake they made was that they tried to redeem her before killing her off to make her death more memorable. Which is an just an old, tired TV trope.

Apparently, the ratings have fallen quite a bit for the back half of this season, so we are not the only ones who think that first half of this season was a bust.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 2,136 posts

I might actually be done with this show. I just got around to this episode last night, and after 20 minutes decided to go to bed. There's just nothing there anymore, which infuriates me because season 3 was so damn good. And with the main show starting again this Sunday, it's going to remain on the back burner.

Shape430

Shape430

Infected

• Members
  • 45 posts

Honestly id be ok if everyone in that truck died at this point. Id be sorta sad to see Al and Luciana go, but if it gets rid of Morgan and the 3 stooges up front id be ok with it. Of course that's not gonna happen though.

Also while Anti-Michonne isn't the most interesting character, she's still the smartest villain we've had all season. She managed to steal the tank and actually used it to try and just kill them all. A much better plan then w/e the hell the vultures were trying to do.

I actually did enjoy the scenes with Luiciana and the old guy, and her whole adventure to get him a beer.

As for the Alligators unrealistic behavior, I didn't mind. We are watching a show about zombies after all. I just thought it was interesting to have a threat that wasn't walkers or other humans for once. I also liked that Strand and John actually failed to make it across the lake.

But yeah, Alicia is by far my favorite character on this show now, and tbh while at first I didn't like that she forgave charlie so easily, I do think the 2 of them together is interesting. I kinda wish they would have just stayed separated from the group and gone off and did their own thing for awhile. Its really such a waste to just have them immediately go back and re join Morgan and co again. 

Overall I liked this episode a lot better then the last few, but I'm still not expecting much.

Edited by Shape430, 07 October 2018 - 06:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!