Photo

Fear The Walking Dead Episode 405 ~ Laura ~ Review

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this episode (22 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your opinion of episode 405

1. Excellent (10 votes [45.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

2. Good (9 votes [40.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.91%

3. Fair (2 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

4. Poor (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
  • 9,848 posts

The arrival of a wounded visitor in John Dorie's life forces him to change his ways.

Dead Gov Walking

Dead Gov Walking

Roamer

• Members
  • 712 posts

Voted good. Best episode of the season so far, even if it was another episode that didn't advance the plot much at all.

Did have a couple issues. Mainly the zombie attack. Why were they so hell bent on going off the bridge into the river?  Why did it feel like they just automatically knew John and Naomi were there when they washed ashore? Why the fuck did John jump into the trench?????????????????????????????? You're telling me Naomi was 100% covered in zombies and didn't get bitten? And that John was able to run back up to the house, get the guns out of the box and load them in time to save her?

But yeah, outside of that scene, a very solid episode.

Looking ahead to next weeks episode though, seems we're back to the regular formula of 'half flashback, half present day' episodes.

They better cut that shit out by the midseason finale or midseason premiere cuz that shit is getting old.

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members
  • 485 posts
A good solid episode.

cornjob

cornjob

Lurker

• Members
  • 244 posts
Well, the guns were stored loaded at least. I thought they showed the box out there on the porch before they started fighting the zombies.

It’s nice to have some characters in FtWD that aren’t despicable people.

I’m enjoying this season the most by far.

headshot

headshot

Infected

• Members
  • 35 posts

Voted good. Best episode of the season so far, even if it was another episode that didn't advance the plot much at all.

Did have a couple issues. Mainly the zombie attack. Why were they so hell bent on going off the bridge into the river?  Why did it feel like they just automatically knew John and Naomi were there when they washed ashore?

I think it had to do with the zombies in the car that ran off the bridge and into the water,they were trapped and they struggled and made to much noise which in turn attracted zombies from the bridge into the water and because the river ran towards johns they floated on down.

It was a good episode,real shame she left John they really had a good thing going on there.

omegaman

omegaman

Roamer

• Members
  • 457 posts

I think it had to do with the zombies in the car that ran off the bridge and into the water,they were trapped and they struggled and made to much noise which in turn attracted zombies from the bridge into the water and because the river ran towards johns they floated on down.

It was a good episode,real shame she left John they really had a good thing going on there.

I agree and I was confused why they didn't just kill the zombies in the car it seemed obvious they were attracting more zombies.

omegaman

omegaman

Roamer

• Members
  • 457 posts

This was an excellent episode. I felt so sad for John Dorie when "Laura" was gone on the morning. Great performances by the actors. It really gave off an apocalyptic vibe.

I wonder how much, or how little Gimple is inputting into the show. It seems like the latter.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Did have a couple issues. Mainly the zombie attack. Why were they so hell bent on going off the bridge into the river?  Why did it feel like they just automatically knew John and Naomi were there when they washed ashore? Why the fuck did John jump into the trench?????????????????????????????? You're telling me Naomi was 100% covered in zombies and didn't get bitten? And that John was able to run back up to the house, get the guns out of the box and load them in time to save her?

But yeah, outside of that scene, a very solid episode.

I'm going to coin the term Gimpleism. Nonsensical things that happen on a show for no other reason than plot contrivance. What irks me is these things were mostly absent from Fear before this season, and then Gimple became Executive Producer. Admittedly, I don't know how much influence someone in that position has over details like that compared to a showrunner, director, or writer, but how can it be a coincidence?

The other Gimpleism I would add to Dead Gov Walking's list is the fully stocked, non-looted, store that apparently only John knows about and is able to visit every Tuesday.

The one that had me scratching my head the most was trying to understand why the walkers were so hell bent on getting past that car and down the river.

There also wasn't really any explanation for how this house still has access to electricity and propane.

But other than the Gimpleisms, I really liked the episode. I would've voted Excellent, but dropped it down to Good.

Edited by kombat, 14 May 2018 - 01:02 PM.

Rague

Rague

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 103 posts

Fair.

This seemed much like the Tara episode, and the Eastman episode. But, I'm a sucker for character focus episodes, and John is just such an unabashedly nice, awkward guy it's hard to dislike an episode about him.  

• Character motivations are still kind of silly and hard to relate to

John's refusal to use guns is about as silly as Michonne not using her sword, Rick not taking his gun out with him at the prison, Morgan refusing to kill anyone - John is becoming as ethically comedic as any TWD character.

But I will say I enjoy John's character for some reason - maybe because he's such a dogged nice guy (albeit, a dangerous one) and he fits the cowboy archetype - the same way Rick is/was the lawman, Michonne the samurai, Negan the biker/thug, Jesus the ninja, and Daryl the lone ranger. His ridiculous mental hang-up about guns and overtly nice personality make him into a pleasant cliche.

Now, Naomi/Laura. I'm curious about this woman. She's been paranoid and sketchy to literally everyone she's met in the show thus far. I don't know how much longer it's going to take to figure out what her deal is exactly. I get the feeling I missed a clue about her - she was definitely a nurse. So what was she running from? Why go by Laura? If she was willing to tell John about her missing child then why not say her real name? Maybe she did and John was so emotionally damaged that he forgot it? I get she's woken up in a cabin with a strange man who hides guns somewhere - I'd be paranoid too - but still.

I laughed at John and Naomi's one-night stand and, at the same time, felt really bad for the former. Yet, John's obsession with finding "Laura" reinforces my guess that John's going to become an antagonist further into the season.

• This episode was kind of filler and full of nonsense

This episode wasted time masterfully. No plot advancement in the slightest.

The walkers "attacking" the car was silly.

I'm not sure why or if Morgan has "healed" to such an extent that he's no longer talking to himself, or seeing visions, but while I missed the first few minutes of this episode, I have to question how Morgan went from "I want to leave" to "I'm so moved by John's story that I want to stick around and help Ex-Team Madison.

• But, it was more cohererent than most of this season

I voted Fair because AT LEAST this episode told in a mostly coherent fashion. As hair-pulling as it is to know we're now in the FURTHER PAST of a character introduced in a FUTURE that was already splitting time with THE MORE RECENT PAST, at least this was a solid story that wasn't using the time division as a gimm...

...okay, well John was telling Morgan the story in the present. I had the same problem with the Eastman episode funny enough - the first time I saw it, I missed the first few minutes of that episode (funny, that), and I only saw Morgan talking to the Wolf at the end, which felt like a brilliant reveal to me. I think this episode, and that one too, would have been a lot stronger/more showy if we'd only been shown John talking to Morgan right at the end, or if they hadn't shown them talking at all really.

• I question the organization of this season

I feel like John's backstory should have came before Morgan, Althea, and him met.

bully8

bully8

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 122 posts

I voted excellent, which was probably a stretch, but I guess it's just been so long since I would have considered rating an episode of either series that high.  I thought it was very well acted, even though there were logical flaws as already pointed out.  I feel like John is the most likeable character on the show right now.  Gotta love the wild west show background and the crazy gun skills.  They may take his character over the top into comic book territory, but for now he seems fairly believable.

What bugs me the most at this point is why does Naomi keep running away from everybody?

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
  • 9,848 posts

This episode was entertaining mainly because John Dorie is an intriguing and extremely likable character. It certainly helps that Garret Dillahunt is doing a great job giving us a well rounded quirky but good guy character. I will never fault an episode for giving us character development, but we really did not learn that much we didn't already know. We really did not learn that much about Laura/Naomi's character and her reasons for running. The progression of their relationship felt genuine and it is indeed tragic if she truly is dead.

I noticed that they kept showing John pouring water into a contraption, so I googled and I think that was supposed to be some kind of Hydro-Electric turbine that generates power. It does fit with him living near a river.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationOttawa
I voted excellent. While the whole bridge zombie thing was silly, and jumping into the trench unbelievably stupid, the rest of the episode was exactly what I want from apocalyptic fiction.

Since the plot for me is always about what it means to be human after every mode of security breaks down, this episode did advance the plot. It examined the characters and explored their relationship to this world. That's what I want the show to be about.

This season could end today and be the best FTWD ever and near the top of the TWD universe.

Edited by mosher, 15 May 2018 - 03:30 AM.

omegaman

omegaman

Roamer

• Members
  • 457 posts

I voted excellent. While the whole bridge zombie thing was silly, and jumping into the trench unbelievably stupid, the rest of the episode was exactly what I want from apocalyptic fiction.

Since the plot for me is always about what it means to be human after every mode of security breaks down, this episode did advance the plot. It examined the characters and explored their relationship to this world. That's what I want the show to be about.

This season could end today and be the best FTWD ever and near the top of the TWD universe.

I see these shows as a study on how humans react and deal with this apocalyptic situation. I don't really see the show as plot driven at all.

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • 706 posts
  • LocationChicago area

I voted Excellent.

A one shot character building episode which adds and answers to previous episodes and creates strong characters in the meantime. We are still pretty in the dark about Naomi, but that proved a sharp foil for building John.

The water walkers don't bother me. Honestly thought I'd see more, since they could come from further upstream as well as the bridge. The noise maker in the car worked alright as a reason they fall in the river, but is a little soft if examined too closely, as is the floating herd they encounter...you would think a few would stay caught in the current and keep going downstream.

This is a nitpick, as it lends towards the characters and where they are going.John's backstory comes to light as he saves Naomi with his guns, and then has to cope with his feelings. The characters GROW into each others arms, not just fall. It isn't some lust that made them a couple. It was believable.

I do wonder why Naomi felt that she had to leave. At the point she was at, security and a stable safe location was a prime advantage.

The store wasn't such an issue for me. As it was closed off from the world before it fell. It wasn't a known place to many- probably more for the hunters and seasonal fishermen, etc. So the guy closes shop for construction and society ends. On the whole it had a good chance of being left alone under those circumstances.

I thought it was excellent on almost every single level. The kind of story TWD and FTWD have gotten away from, to their detriment.

"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationOttawa

I see these shows as a study on how humans react and deal with this apocalyptic situation. I don't really see the show as plot driven at all.

That's sort of my point. The plot is either as simple as 'humanity surviving extreme crisis' unless that doesn't count. In which case it isn't about a 'plot'

Sure there is the question of how they survive a given situation- but these are secondary plots- not the foremost plot- which is like you said just a study of who we are as human beings when we have none of the cultural and technological and governmental armor we've built up over the centuries. 

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
  • 9,848 posts

Hey guys, I have a question for you all. I haven't been posting the Promo videos mainly because the interest (for both shows) has dropped off. If you all want me to post the promos, I will. Let me know. Thanks.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Hey guys, I have a question for you all. I haven't been posting the Promo videos mainly because the interest (for both shows) has dropped off. If you all want me to post the promos, I will. Let me know. Thanks.

I'm hoping the better ratings for FTWD will lead to more TWD folk watching and commenting. I am further hoping that the increase in FTWD ratings will inspire TWD to improve. Right now I don't know if the effort would matter. I would watch the promos, but I doubt there would be much commenting.

Unless I read wrong, FTWD is up 40% from last year. Not sure if that is holding, growing, or was wrong to begin with.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,338 posts
  • LocationOhio

I'm hoping the better ratings for FTWD will lead to more TWD folk watching and commenting. I am further hoping that the increase in FTWD ratings will inspire TWD to improve. Right now I don't know if the effort would matter. I would watch the promos, but I doubt there would be much commenting.

Unless I read wrong, FTWD is up 40% from last year. Not sure if that is holding, growing, or was wrong to begin with.

It's helps they have likable characters this yr. If they would have had that and had Travis be who he was in season 3, it would have been more enjoyable.

Shape430

Shape430

Infected

• Members
  • 37 posts

Voted excellent.

Definitely the best episode of the season, I really enjoyed both John and "Laura" this episode and now I'm really hoping she does turn up alive at some point. I'm guessing she will considering they just did an entire episode of character development for her and also the fact that they emphasized second chances at the end.

Also is it just me or does Laura's actor sound like Carol sometimes? They also have similar facial features. I may just be crazy but she reminds me of her a lot lol. :smiley-confused002:

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

The ratings are pretty much the same as they were last season, about 2.5 million viewers. The premiere had a big boost, but that was because it followed TWD finale. Apparently those that stuck around to watch weren't impressed.

It is weird to me that the ratings for Fear are so much lower than the main show. There isn't a reviewer/critic out there that doesn't think Fear is now the better show. It's normal for the original show to have higher ratings, but I wouldn't expect it to be this much considering it is the inferior show now.

cornjob

cornjob

Lurker

• Members
  • 244 posts

I avoid previews before watching the episodes, and don't really have a reason to watch the promos after. Leaving them off is fine with me. 

The forum seems to be running on fumes anyway, maybe like the show in general. Too bad, since this season seems to be a step in the right direction.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationOttawa

The ratings are pretty much the same as they were last season, about 2.5 million viewers. The premiere had a big boost, but that was because it followed TWD finale. Apparently those that stuck around to watch weren't impressed.

It is weird to me that the ratings for Fear are so much lower than the main show. There isn't a reviewer/critic out there that doesn't think Fear is now the better show. It's normal for the original show to have higher ratings, but I wouldn't expect it to be this much considering it is the inferior show now.

That sucks. The writing remains strong, and at least it isn't bleeding viewers. Still hoping the buzz will help it pick up.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
  • 9,848 posts

That sucks. The writing remains strong, and at least it isn't bleeding viewers. Still hoping the buzz will help it pick up.

I haven't read a lot of reviews for this season, but from what I have read, the reviews seems to be along the same as what I read here. The format for this season is getting very mixed reviews as to whether it is successful or not.

bully8

bully8

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 122 posts

I don't think FTWD ever got off the ground with most viewers in Season 1.  It just wasn't a very good show to start with.  I know people who started it, but dropped it before the end of S1.  Once they stop watching it, I don't think many people come back to any series.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationOttawa

I don't think FTWD ever got off the ground with most viewers in Season 1.  It just wasn't a very good show to start with.  I know people who started it, but dropped it before the end of S1.  Once they stop watching it, I don't think many people come back to any series.

It wasn't good, and the acting was uneven (not bad, so much as no consistency between playing 'large personality' or subdued. The tone was uneven, the writing uneven, and a lot of forced situations. It also lied to us- promising that we'd watch society collapse and then time jumping into the apocalypse. 

I kept watching because I love apocalyptic fiction and I liked some of the character work (Nick primarily, and Salazar.)

Then in season three they started writing better, and season four has been very good. 

But I guess buzz isn't enough. And if Serenity's correct as many people are put off by the style this season as love it.

It's still doing well, I suppose. I just was hoping it would grow enough to perhaps alter the terrible course TWD is on. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!