Fear The Walking Dead Episode 404 ~ Buried ~ Review

Review episode 404

Fear The Walking Dead Episode 404 ~ Buried~ Reivew (23 )

What did you think of this episode?

1. Excellent (6 [26.09%] - )

26.09%

2. Good (9 [39.13%] - )

39.13%

3. Fair (7 [30.43%] - )

30.43%

4. Poor (1 [4.35%] - )

4.35%

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

why the girl killed Nick (I'm guessing the Vulture he killed was related to her/caring for her)

The guy Nick killed is the same guy that has been taking care of her this whole time and training her this whole time. I don't think that's one of the mysteries. 

As to expectations- the high expectations for TWD are born of the fact that it used to meet those expectations, so I think that's fair.

For FTWD, which like you I'm really liking, I don't think it's about unmet expectations as much as it's about either not liking the story-telling technique (non-linear) or hating that we dropped characters and story lines that we left in season three. But I'm with you on FTWD, it's quite good right now. 

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

The guy Nick killed is the same guy that has been taking care of her this whole time and training her this whole time. I don't think that's one of the mysteries. 

As to expectations- the high expectations for TWD are born of the fact that it used to meet those expectations, so I think that's fair.

For FTWD, which like you I'm really liking, I don't think it's about unmet expectations as much as it's about either not liking the story-telling technique (non-linear) or hating that we dropped characters and story lines that we left in season three. But I'm with you on FTWD, it's quite good right now. 

As I mentioned before, I don't mind the non linear storytelling and usually I am a big fan of flashbacks, it is just starting to feel like it has been drawn out for too long. After doing a major time jump where the characters we know are not acting anything like they were when we last saw them, it is asking a lot of the viewers to have the patience to get bits and pieces of the story. I'm not even sure if we will see what happened after the dam to cause such drastic changes with the characters. It's starting to feel a bit like dumpstergate.

Who knows. When we do finally get the (hopefully) whole story, I may change my mind. So I will hang in there.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

As I mentioned before, I don't mind the non linear storytelling and usually I am a big fan of flashbacks, it is just starting to feel like it has been drawn out for too long. After doing a major time jump where the characters we know are not acting anything like they were when we last saw them, it is asking a lot of the viewers to have the patience to get bits and pieces of the story. I'm not even sure if we will see what happened after the dam to cause such drastic changes with the characters. It's starting to feel a bit like dumpstergate.

Who knows. When we do finally get the (hopefully) whole story, I may change my mind. So I will hang in there.

I also wish we had concluded that story before moving on. I even have a feeling they won't bother saying much about the whole thing, which is unfair to the people who kept watching and frankly the people that saved it from cancellation. I think Madison's change is explained in her near-drowning incident, and Nick they seem to be saying changed because he was finally secure and able to look back on himself.

But they don't explain either well and they left a lot of characters and story behind.

I think those are fair criticisms of the show and I understand people not being into this season because of that.

It's working for me well, though. If I had skipped a season and this was where we were, I'd be pleased. I know if I rewatched and started season 4 immediately after watching the finale of three I'd be upset.

I think I'm forgiving for three reasons: because I think the story they are telling is very good, because TWD is disappointing so FTWD is refreshing, and because I haven't just finished the season three finale.

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationChicago area

....I wish Daryl would have moved over, at least he would have some lines!

If Daryl had crossed over a few main characters would have been killed during the helpless girl in the street set up. He isn't really the merciful type right now.

On the flashback note- it gets confusing and drawn out, especially with absent and new characters and a 2 year gap. Let's bring it to TWD and say we're at the Prison in season 2 instead of 4 confronting the Governor with half of each episode covering events from the road through the farm. You go from CDC to trying to figure out how Herschel, the Governor, Shane, Sofia, T-Dog, Tyrell, Sasha, Dale, Michonne, Abraham, Eugene, and everyone else fit into what you're watching, why Andrea is with Gov, Rick's issues and who that baby is, etc.

You could lose interest really fast trying just to solve the unnecessary mystery, and it would dilute both seasons drama and excitement.

Just my humble .02. An occasional flashback or time jump forward a little works for the story, too much takes from it.

"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

.I wish Daryl would have moved over, at least he would have some lines!

I just think the crossover  idea was bad.  I think Daryl would have been a bad idea too. 

It's like  TWD is a contagious disease that has spread to a much better show and ruined it. 

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

As far as the questions on why Madison's group doesn't just take out the Vultures, I think we are supposed to believe that because the group cared for Charlie, they didn't want to take out her "family" in front of her. Initially, they seemed to want to win her back into their group with kindness. I'm not saying that I buy it, I'm just saying I think that is what we are supposed to believe.

Which is another reason why doling out the story in drips and draps isn't working in this case.

cornjob

cornjob

Lurker

• Members

As far as the questions on why Madison's group doesn't just take out the Vultures, I think we are supposed to believe that because the group cared for Charlie, they didn't want to take out her "family" in front of her. Initially, they seemed to want to win her back into their group with kindness. I'm not saying that I buy it, I'm just saying I think that is what we are supposed to believe.

Which is another reason why doling out the story in drips and draps isn't working in this case.

Have the vultures actually done anything aggressive?  Its not really a siege, they're not preventing Madison's group from going out. They just spied on them, and now they're just waiting. 

But its hard to know what it is the Vultures value, if there isn't going to be any food left. 

How come nobody hunts or fishes for their food?  In the absence of so many cars and dangers, there is probably plenty of game. I don't buy that zombies are a significant threat to those animals, and if they were then there would be more of other things (like foul). Humans have survived for millenia in small agrarian societies, but now they've become inept. 

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Have the vultures actually done anything aggressive?  Its not really a siege, they're not preventing Madison's group from going out. They just spied on them, and now they're just waiting. 

But its hard to know what it is the Vultures value, if there isn't going to be any food left. 

How come nobody hunts or fishes for their food?  In the absence of so many cars and dangers, there is probably plenty of game. I don't buy that zombies are a significant threat to those animals, and if they were then there would be more of other things (like foul). Humans have survived for millenia in small agrarian societies, but now they've become inept. 

Mel told Madison that he is going to end up with all their supplies including the gun on her hip, so I would consider that a threat. More of a passive-aggressive threat. but that is exactly why Vultures is the perfect name for them.

And it could be a coincidence that the weevils ruined their crops right after Charlie showed up, but the timing is surely suspect. Especially for a group that wants to starve the residents out of their shelter.

They already explored a survivalist group with Jeremiah and the Broke Jaw ranch, but the basic premise of any dystopian story is that human beings with all the modern conveniences aren't equipped to deal with going back to the basics. It is those who adapt who survive.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!