Photo

Fear The Walking Dead Episode 401~ What's Your Story? ~ Review

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: rate this episode (27 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your opinion of this episode?

1. Excellent (16 votes [59.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 59.26%

2. Good (7 votes [25.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

3. Fair (3 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. Poor (1 votes [3.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
  • 9,808 posts

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,314 posts
  • LocationOhio
So far this show is becoming way better than the original and finally super likable characters. Thank goodness. Just please don't kill them off. And have Madison be limited.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • 2,503 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Voted poor.  I'm pissed off about Fear the Walking Dead's season premiere because they  basically turned Fear's premiere  into the second hour of the Walking Dead's season finale and it completely ruined it for me.

Fear is a way better show and they  fucked it up by throwing in characters/ stories from  Walking Dead.

This also tainted my view of Walking Dead's season finale because in my view, this was really just hour two of that and it should not have been. 

Dangling plot lines from season 3 were shoved aside and the timeline advanced several years, all so Morgan could join the crew.

Walking Dead has gone to shit but Fear was something I enjoyed and they ruined it by making it more like the main show. '

I'd grown sick of watching Morgan mope around with his staff, and didn't want to see it in fear.  And a rather large chunk of the episode was exactly that.

I've gotten annoyed with Walking Dead's endless moralizing and sadly, that crap bled into Fear tonight. The moral of tonight's story is that Morgan can't make it all alone. As with the mercy vs. wrath thing in the other show, Fear took this idea and beat us over the head with it in a very corny way. 

Rick, Carol and Jesus preach to Morgan that he can't make it all alone.  Two new characters preach him the same sanctimonious sermon.  The message is repeated again by Morgan finding a  guy alone who is injured. The injured guy refuses help. This leads to his death so Morgan can learn tonight's endlessly repeated lesson. 

No. Just no.  

At this point in the outbreak, it makes no sense to see people driving around in gas guzzling vehicles equipped with fully automatic weapons.   

Ammo is scarce as it is, and fully automatic weapons burn through ammo insanely fast.  

And there was the part where Morgan and the other  guy fell through a roof into a room fully of walkers. Morgan survives because he's Morgan and the other guy dies because he is a red shirt. Dumb. 

And why would 20 walkers be shut up inside a mobile home?  Walkers don't know how to open  and close doors. So how did they end up with a dozen of them inside  a mobile home with the doors and windows all closed?

The "mercy is better than wrath" stuff was kind of silly in the main show, and  it's the kind of thing that Fear has always avoided.  Fear  the Walking dead is better because the characters aren't afraid to be unabashedly ruthless.

But tonight, we got to see "mercy vs. wrath" in action- again- when   Morgan saved a guy who tried to kill him from being eaten by walkers. walkers. 

Tonight we saw Walking Dead style idiocy in Fear the Walking Dead and it was terrible. 

Edited by Deadpelican, 16 April 2018 - 06:08 AM.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Shape430

Shape430

Infected

• Members
  • 32 posts
Voted excellent

Loved pretty much everything about this premeire. The new characters in paticular were really interesting. I also did not see that ending coming.

I knew for a fact that was Alicia on the ground when we first saw her up close. But I wasnt expecting them to ambush Morgan and crew. Thought that was pretty great.

As for fear cutting into twd finale, dont really care. Ive lost all interest the main show after that terrible finale and am all for them cutting it short to give airtime to the now (imo) superior show 👍

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • 2,503 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

I guess I'm in the minority. To me this felt like a big middle finger aimed at people who have followed Fear since the beginning.  This episode  seemed designed so that Walking Dead fans- who have never bothered to  watch Fear- could start watching it tonight without being completely lost. 

I watch  Fear because I care about the Clarks, Strand, Salazar etc. I don't watch Fear to see Rick, Jesus, Morgan and Carol.  

But the episode felt like it wasn't made for viewers like me, it was made trying to  entice viewers of the main show who have probably never seen an episode of Fear. 

Edited by Deadpelican, 16 April 2018 - 02:01 PM.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Shape430

Shape430

Infected

• Members
  • 32 posts

I've been watching Fear since the start as well and very much care about it's main cast. So I guess it's not only newer viewers that enjoyed it, but I do see where you're coming from.

Edited by Shape430, 16 April 2018 - 06:45 AM.

omegaman

omegaman

Lurker

• Members
  • 443 posts

This was a breath of fresh air after the last season of the Walking Dead. I am so excited for the upcoming season. 

The gunslinger and reporter are interesting characters. 

How bad-ass was that S.W.A.T. APC?

headshot

headshot

Infected

• Members
  • 28 posts

Wow what a breath of fresh air ,after 25 mins there was over 10 locations  8 new  characters  and still had 20 mins left,i love a post apocalyptic wasteland that can be explored and even before this season opener FTWD has done a brilliant job never being to bogged down with two groups and two strongholds and days of our lives drama between them,it's why i love FTWD.It was excellent opener  and yes i cringed when they had some of TWD cast in there i was a little annoyed but it redeemed itself  right after Morgan left the junkyard and went on his merry way,i sort of felt like Morgan,leaving  a sad and crappy area(Show) TWD has become and starting a new journey.My god i cannot wait to next week,i have not said that in the last 4 years of watching  TWD.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Totally excellent. Two new characters that are way more interesting and that I already care about more than anyone that's been introduced on the main show in years. That's what better writing will do. Fear has certainly gotten better as it's gone on and is unquestionably better than the main show now.

Based on Al asking them "What's your story", and the previews, my guess is next week we'll get filled in on what's happened to the main crew during the time jump.

Looks like they found Luciana somehow. I didn't notice Madison though. I fully expect the back story to be interesting and fun. I bet they have something to do with the markers Al said have been popping up.

I'm fine with Morgan being on Fear as long as it isn't mopey Morgan.

Edited by kombat, 16 April 2018 - 12:28 PM.

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members
  • 464 posts

I voted excellent.

I did not care much for the "TWD intro" to the episode, but what the heck.

Early on, as Morgan traveled west, I had a couple of reactions:

1) This feels like a post-apocalyptic show! That is something that TWD has, for some reason lost. It really felt that this was a world that was wrecked.

2) I thought to myself that Morgans' journey reminded me of the film/book "The Road." Then, what do you know, the gunslinger was a character in the film!!! He was one of the redneck cannibals The Man killed at the tunnel.

3) The episode felt gritty (as did S3 of FTWD). It felt real, again, unlike TWD that is more of an A-Team in the Woods kind of show now.

4) As others have said, Morgan needs to get a grip. He has bounced from killer, to pacifist, to killer, and now back to pacifist. The producers have run that horse into the ground and need to give it up.

As others have said, the characters are interesting and there are not masses of side characters to be kept up with.

I am looking forward to next week!

xpoc454

xpoc454

Infected

• Members
  • 45 posts

I voted good. Specially the new characters.

The only negative is how often they get ambushed in the episode. Was it 3 x?

Morgan falling for the last one I thought was kinda ridiculous.  He has seen much more complicated tricks than random person in the street hiding her hands.

That was pathetically telegraphed.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
  • 9,808 posts

Even though they had to do a massive time jump (by my estimate, it's at least 2 years) it makes more sense than Morgan leaving GA, going to Mexico and then making his way to DC. 

What I like about this show is that it keeps surprising me. I'm not sure what they are going to do next and I like that. They aren't afraid to take risks.

Lyrad13

Lyrad13

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

I have always loved Morgan but I was worried about being able to believe however they inserted Morgan in to this show.   It actually was ok for me the way they did it.   And I didn't mind that the bulk of the episode was Morgan's journey .   I was completely surprised at the end and I thought it was well done.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,314 posts
  • LocationOhio
I just fear the new characters will be killed off soon. Then we'll get back to boring madison.

2 new characters who I took a liking to. I love they are different and Maggie Grace btw. Has come from whiny bratty Shannon from lost nobody liked....to this bad ass tough girl. It took me a few to realize who she was and I was excited she could pull off this character.

I've always been a fan of Garrett dillahunt. He's hardly unlikable plus him talking to nobody gave me a slight chuckle. Look. I get it's an apoc show. But a little humor is needed.

Morgan is back to being okay. He didn't annoy me. I think it was the cast even though it was just 2 other people. They worked great together. Finally this show has me excited for twd universe again.

Edited by Mr. NomNom, 16 April 2018 - 10:39 PM.

thejoker954

thejoker954

Roamer

• Members
  • 59 posts

I really enjoyed this episode and voted excellent. But i would rather Morgan and his two new buddies were on their own show. I really enjoyed the way the episode was done (until the very end where they meet up with the fear cast) and I don't want to go back to regular ftwd style. 

the end of the episode was very disappointing to me and Morgan's transition between shows could have been handled better.  I also think the time jump is gonna end up hurting character arcs all around and/or lead to a muddled season with lots of flash backs and no real forward development. 

with the way the episode ended and the ftwd characters previous actions, it seems like they are pushing way too hard to be the darker side of TWD universe. Rick's group is destined to always end up the "good" guys no matter what they go through, whereas  Madison's group tends to do "bad" guy things.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • 2,503 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

, for

the end of the episode was very disappointing to me and Morgan's transition between shows could have been handled better.  I also think the time jump is gonna end up hurting character arcs all around and/or lead to a muddled season with lots of flash backs and no real forward development.  

I think previous character arcs will be jettisoned, for the most part.  Fear is a fairly low-rated show, and to me this episode felt like a gimmick to get people who had never watched the show interested. 

Nareen

Nareen

Roamer

• Members
  • 786 posts
  • LocationCanada

I enjoyed this episode a lot.  I didn't mind that the episode was not focused on the Clark family but was a lengthy introduction to three new characters who will presumably be important going forward.  

I'm a big Morgan fan, despite how annoying he can be, partly because Lennie James is one of, if not the, best actors on either series.  So I'm happy Morgan survived and that he's moved over to the superior of the two series, the one I plan to keep watching (so far).

I liked how each of the two new characters was introduced, especially John.  

The TWD characters harassing Morgan until he packed up and left, quite the opposite to what they intended, was amusing to me.  Morgan's back story was as expected: a montage of him walking, driving, running to Texas.  We saw that he's changed during that journey, moved from auto-kill to trying to help people, but not ready to join up with anyone, even when it defies logic and risks his life.  I assumed that he was obsessed with the walker of the guy he tried to help because he had looked so much like Jared, and Morgan wanted to make sure it was real, that the ghost of Jared (and all his other victims) was exorcised.  "I don't kill" Morgan is annoying but IMO better than "Kill everyone" Morgan.  He still has to find a balance.

John Dorie seemed too good to be true.  Therefore I suspect him of stalking Laura, who really had escaped from him and being a serial killer  ;).  Or it could be that they are trying to introduce some characters that are actually likeable.

I liked Althea as another example of the strange and wonderful things people get up to, even in an apocalypse. Perhaps continuing to be what she once was is her emotional survival mechanism.   I liked her moxie and kindness.   I did wonder how she keeps that vehicle fueled.  I don't know anything about such things but are there weapons are both sides? If not, she has to hope she's going in the right direction when she meets danger if they're to be of any use.

It was interesting that the big fight was a simple battle between the good and bad guys until John and then Morgan inadvertently released tons of walkers, which may have saved them in the end.  Who were all those walkers though?   I though it was pretty good except for Morgan running across the roofs towards a guy with a gun.  Of course he got shot.  But of course "I don't die" Morgan somehow managed to evade the walkers when he and the other guy fell through the roof and one walker conveniently had a grenade.  John Dorie has a weapon as useless as Daryl's crossbow in that you have to manually reload every few seconds, it seems.  At least the crossbow is silent.  Are John's pants pockets loaded down with bullets?

So we meet part of the Clark family but they seem to be feral predators.   Or is something else going on?

The somber colour grading grated on me and I hope it's not permanent.  One of the things I enjoy about FTWD is its cinematography.  Otherwise I really liked this episode as a one-off introduction to the reboot.

Edited by Nareen, 18 April 2018 - 12:35 PM.

cornjob

cornjob

Lurker

• Members
  • 228 posts

It wasn't what I expected. If the gunslinger had done a quick draw and shot down all the original cast in rapid succession at the end, I would be more excited for this upcoming season. We'll see where they go with this. 

It was a pretty dumb trap to fall into, with a single person standing on the road. Too bad nobody had a RPG. 

The rack of machine guns on the side of the van (hey, the A-Team!) seemed more likely to kill Morgan and the gunslinger than not. I don't see that as a huge deterrent since people have to be standing in the right place. And all that ammo! Where are they filling up that gas-guzzling vehicle?

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members
  • 382 posts
Good épisode. Would have been great without the clarks at the end.

ricky311

ricky311

Infected

• Members
  • 81 posts
I'm still not entirely sure how to feel about this. For me, this was the most unsatisfying, but satisfying TWD episode ever.

I absolutely love the cinematography. Everything about it felt dark, gritty, apocalyptic and somber, but in a beautiful way.

I also love how Fear subtly trolled the TWD tiger.

The two new characters are the most interesting characters we've seen in a while. I'm not sure yet about Morgan, but we'll see where it goes.

I was really looking forward to catching up with the Clark's again, especially after the horrible season 8, but didn't get that, so this didn't really feel like a Fear episode to me. But if this episode was a sample of what's to come, then I'm more excited than ever.

The ending had me on the edge of my seat, not wanting it to end and then it did. I guess that's a good thing.

Yes, there were some typical TWD conveniences and stupidities, but it never got in my way like it does in the main show. It was nice to finally see people to try and survive again. The action scene was also better than anything I've seen in the entire season 8, even though it had most of the aforementioned conveniences and stupidities in there.

It was a very good episode, just not what I expected or wanted to see after the break. But yeah, I'll take it if this is an indicator of what's to come.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 2,006 posts
  • LocationOttawa

FTWD continues to be a far better show than TWD, and that continues to be a bizarre state of affairs. FTWD started with so much dull characterization and dull stories, with a few over the top characters. Then in season three it changed completely into a (mostly) solid show. TWD traveled in the other direction.

When I heard this was a time jump I wad disappointed like Dead Pelican. But in contrast I think it worked. I enjoyed this episode a lot. The apocalypse was real again. Simple things like hunger mattered again. Bad guys were desperate rather than evil. Sure there were conveniences, but overall they didn't bother me.

I loved both new characters, and I like that they are 'good' guys.

I have no animosity toward the Clarks like others do. Strand and Madison shouldn't be trusted with anything, but I am curious what path Alicia and Nick have been on. Alicia shouldn't be following her mothers path at this point. Nevertheless, I can accept that their group is desperate, and trying to survive. Robbing people to stay alive is well within my boundaries for redemption, so I look forward to what I hope will be a compelling arc.

I wish I could have seen this journey, but I am certain that their group isn't evil so much as choosing to live.

If Madison is still in charge I'll be upset, because that's nonsense. Alicia and Nick should have cut that cord by now. But they're with Strand, and he's awful, so I might be disappointed there. Madison, Strand, and Salazar were never heroes- so they won't be now. Alicia was a hero, and NIck bounced back and forth. I hope the dynamics of that group still reflect serious differences of opinion.

Like said above, I imagine Al's journalism will prove the unveiling of the last year+ needed to catch us up. I hope that ball isn't dropped.

And it is possible that Morgan was the bait for an audience, but that the next few episodes will start from the end of last season, and then a couple episodes later bring us up to date.

I like the new people a lot, I hope TPTB remember that audiences like liking the stars of a show. It's tough to root for a hero like Madison, and writing a show around bad people is tough. (due credit to Walter White for proving it can be done).

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • 692 posts
  • LocationChicago area

I voted Good on this one. It fell far short of Excellent as it was really a one shot extension of TWD and didn't really bring the FTWD series into it until the last 30 seconds or so. That's a No-No.

It didn't do worse though. Morgan's decision to leave and his travels were a little annoying as the tie in. The people he ends up with have good potential and are likable too. Between the three of them we see characters types I would rather have seen in the first place on this show. Hopefully they get a little integration and can bring that dynamic to the other characters.

Our love struck Romeo found a bad crowd of people holding his true loves pistol...I think he's answered his own question about her fate. I guess he would rather hold onto hope anyways. There was a lor of unanswered questions about this episode which leads only to speculation though.

I am hoping that we flash back and get caught up in our time jump. 2 years after our dam explosion and everyone separated is just too long to blink and move forward from. They don't need to give us every part of that time, but wrap up the cliffhanger and move forward a while then.

The time jump is my biggest gripe though. If we have caught up to TWD then we have the same essential show now. Just this one has jerks as heroes. I begin to lose interest since the medium and it's universe are becoming saturated. Just how I feel.

Journalist is an intriguing and real person. I do hope they plan on keeping her around, this show has been desperately missing the type.

The flags strike me as a marking territory announcement thing, like the 'W' the Wolves used in TWD. Maybe a larger Negan type group. Uh-Oh...are we just rehashing previously seen elements from the other show? Let's hope not. Don't take us to new locations for the same nonsense...take us somewhere we aren't yet. Forget locations, gimmicks, and comic storylines and take us into the hearts and minds of the characters.

BTW: Those repopped military to SWAT vehicles...even if she had gas stashes for refilling they don't really have a lot of range or MPG. I'm guessing her circumference of operations is no more than a few dozen miles at most.

Not a bad episode, but very little FTWD in this episode of FTWD. 

"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Googlebot-Mobile (1)

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!