Photo

The Walking Dead - Season 8, Episode 16 ~ Wrath ~ Review

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: What did you think of this episode? (51 member(s) have cast votes)

What did you think of this episode?

1. Excellent - Just what I love about TWD (7 votes [13.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.73%

2. Good - Really liked it, but wanted a few things done differently (17 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Fair- Not what I expected (17 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. Poor - I was ready to gouge my eyes out (10 votes [19.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.61%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Bug

Bug

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Moderators
  • 7,416 posts

Dead Gov Walking

Dead Gov Walking

Roamer

• Members
  • 713 posts

I don't watch the show anymore save for occasionally popping my head in to see shit like Carl dying. Tonight was one of those episodes because I wanted to see how they handled the end to the war

And....lol

It was so cartoonishly clean. Everything went right more or less. If memory serves, not a single 'good guy' got killed or even hurt that badly. Hell, Rick only seemed to have a small, completely inconsequential cut on his side. Hell 

Spoiler

It was so clean and easy that there was just about zero tension.

Then there's Negan getting his throat completely slit to hell and somehow being okay despite losing a shit ton of blood and being in the middle of goddamn nowhere, away from medical equipment. 

Spoiler

And holy shit, that scene with Maggie, Jesus and Daryl was so ridiculous and out of nowhere. It had me rolling how bad it was

Like I said....lol

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • 2,541 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Voted "good" but closer to fair.   This season pretty much announced exactly how things were going to end before the ending and I'm not sure if that was wise.  Killing Carl to justify keeping Negan alive turned out to be just as dumb as I expected. 

But... I dunno I still ended up liking the episode.   Maybe just because if finally wrapped up the  war with the saviors, which was very tedious because it was one season's worth of material stretched into two. 

Update:

Changed my rating to "poor."   

The reason why  is related to another topic so I posted it here.  In short, Fears premiere tainted my view of this finale because it was  basically the second hour of it. 

And I agree with Gov that the ending with Jesus, Daryl and Maggie plotting against Rick and Michonne was pretty stupid. It's been established that Daryl hates Dwight even more than he hates Negan, but he let Dwight live but he's going to go stab Rick in the back because he let Negan live? 

None of it made any sense and it mirrors a bad habit of the comics of late: it's a huge tease that will probably lead nowhere.

And it felt a little rushed. 

Edited by Deadpelican, 16 April 2018 - 04:52 AM.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Macek11

Macek11

Roamer

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • LocationLA

I don't watch the show anymore save for occasionally popping my head in to see shit like Carl dying. Tonight was one of those episodes because I wanted to see how they handled the end to the war

And....lol

It was so cartoonishly clean. Everything went right more or less. If memory serves, not a single 'good guy' got killed or even hurt that badly. Hell, Rick only seemed to have a small, completely inconsequential cut on his side. Hell 

Spoiler

It was so clean and easy that there was just about zero tension.

Then there's Negan getting his throat completely slit to hell and somehow being okay despite losing a shit ton of blood and being in the middle of goddamn nowhere, away from medical equipment. 

Spoiler

And holy shit, that scene with Maggie, Jesus and Daryl was so ridiculous and out of nowhere. It had me rolling how bad it was

Like I said....lol

It really felt that way with the music in the beginning... I felt I knew how the episode was going to end already. Its crazy how smooth everything went and that everyone got out unscathed basically. 

This is two seasons of build up and the confrontation with Rick and Negan just goes like that? It just felt flat or dull when Rick told them to save Negan.

Spoiler
And yeah Negan was bleeding out for what a good minute there? I just thought more urgency/intensity from Rick to save Negan combined with the screaming of Maggie would have created a cool little chaotic scene and made the Jesus and Daryl scene at least a little better. 

Shape430

Shape430

Infected

• Members
  • 48 posts

Voted poor.

Not much to say honestly that hasn't been said already. Negan living was expected but still incredibly stupid. Maggie's reaction pretty much summed up how most viewers probably felt at that moment lol.

Honestly the only good thing about the episode was Maggie. I liked her plot at the end and think it makes sense. Rick and Michonne are weak in her eyes and didn't let her give Negan the punishment he rightly deserves for what he did to Glen/Abe ect. The only reason id even toon in next season is to see where that goes.

Heck at this point I wouldn't mind if they just killed Rick and Michonne off and let her run the show. That would probably make it watchable again lol.

Edited by Shape430, 16 April 2018 - 06:53 AM.

omegaman

omegaman

Roamer

• Members
  • 469 posts

Was all around a good episode and a nice wrap of the season but I voted Fair cause of the Rick/Negan scene. Rick's just such a douche I can't stand him. He's firing at Negan, then when Negan get the upper hand he's all like "Wait..wait", then slits negans throat, then lets him live.  

I really did like the surprise Eugene gave us with the bullets. I was thinking like come on 'huge.. you gotta have done something and then he did. I'm glad.

I was better than I expected. I'm sad that we won't have Negan/Carl scenes next season though.

Tux

Tux

Infected

• Members
  • 31 posts

It sure looks like we will have some cast members leaving by the end of next season.

Bric

Bric

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL.

So... question for all the die hards who have absolutely been jumping up and down, drooling, waiting for the all out war for literally two years now (real world time, not zombie time), I gotta ask... was it worth it? Was it all you expected and more? I mean come on... the writers had plenty of time to plot this whole thing out. They can make a Star Wars or X-Men movie from start to finish and have it in the theatres in less time than it took this thing to happen, and they don't get commercial breaks. I'm just curious. After two years of waiting, was this what you expected? 

"There are many new walls around the village... they won't keep us out..."
"They weren't built to keep you out. They were built to keep you in."

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 2,150 posts

I voted good. Excellent at first, but changed it. The episode had flaws, the biggest of which for me was the tired cliche of the bad guy falling for the "wait, let me explain" routine.

For me Maggie stole the show. Her plea to kill Negan got me misty, and TWD got me to feel something for the first time in a long time.

I didn't like Daryl forcing Dwight to leave. Why do the others get to stay but the one that actually tried to help gets shunned?

That said, while I would give the EPISODE a good, that two years worth of Negan torture led to THAT? That was the climax? The entire war came down to Eugene's sabotage and a 30-second fight between Rick and Negan?

Jgreenwood

Jgreenwood

Roamer

• Members
  • 516 posts

This episode felt like it was just going through the motions. Like everything was happening because it had to and not because the story was actually leading there. It was predictable and slow. 

jaco

jaco

Roamer

• Members
  • 500 posts

I voted good on a scale of season 8 (compared to other episodes this season).    It was a weird fast wrap up.   About 60 people on a hillside in a big line have their guns explode in their faces.   Rick's group looked about 20 strong.  I don't know..

The end scene with Maggie was not good.  Daryl doubling back on Rick, and then there's Jesus..the guy who was telling Morgan to not kill people if he didn't have to.  Why would he participate in a scheme like that?  My only thought is this was because of Lauren Cohen's contract status, and not being sure which way they want to take the story.   It was a dumb cliffhanger.    

My big question - where was Gregory?!   There was one fleeting mention of him staying in the house, but he was never seen in the entire episode.  That was weird.  

zombielicious

zombielicious

Infected

• Members
  • 19 posts

Proof positive that this show now blows..

Partyof5

Partyof5

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 131 posts

Caught between fair and poor, but I ended up at fair because at least it wrapped up the story.  

Oceanside was not even needed.  All the buildup for that?  For them to show up and help out when they weren't even needed?  Was Aaron even with them?  I didn't notice him at all.   They wasted an entire episode with Tara to introduce this? Perfect example of how this should have been a single season instead of 2. 

So the whole final battle involves Rick once again getting outsmarted only to luck into not getting everyone killed. Again. 

Hey, let's all stay in a close group in the open.  The Saviors were not any smarter, lining up like it's a battle from the 1800s.  Eugene's turn was predictable. 

Another couple of fake outs.  I'm so tried of the constant "gotchas".  This time it was making it seem like Negan was going to Lucille Gabriel in the forest along with the double-fake of Rick initially saying "wait" during his fight with Negan only to slit his throat only to tell the (only) doctor to save his life. It's like a bad wrestling script.

The best part was Maggie pleading for them to kill Negan.  That was one of the only times this entire season that I felt for the characters. 

So a day or 2 after killing Saviors willing to help Rick out, he now spares the life of the one guy he said had to die.  All because Carl wrote a letter.  Then they tell Negan how he's going to have to live the rest of his life as a prisoner so he can watch.  Makes no sense to me in that world.  Now you have to use precious resources caring for him. 

Watching the action scene from the trailer park in FTWD made the final battle in TWD look even more pathetic. 

So suddenly Jadis has given up on the helicopter and is willing to join Alexandria after a 2 second talk?  No more mention of the chopper?  Maybe it will be explained in FTWD.  

Not sure If I'll keep watching FTWD.  Haven't seen it since the beginning of S2.  I need a break from this universe.  I won't be coming back to TWD in the fall.  No reason to. They can promote the new show runner and a new story all summer, but I'm not going to bite (pun intended).  It was a great 6 seasons, and if I feel the urge for more walking dead I'll check out S3 of FTWD first.  This group of characters have run their course with me.  I hate saying that, because I've loved this show and it's characters for a number of years, but watching S8 became a chore.  I'm done hoping the magic will return only to see it fall farther away from what I loved about it.      

Zombie_killer

Zombie_killer

Lurker

• Members
  • 351 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK

I always find it funny to read the review threads because almost 100% of the time I will vote the opposite of everyone else. When there are episodes here that others find amazing, I am bored by them and the episodes (like this one) that others seem to think was rubbish, I think are great.  I think that really shows that what is "great tv" is subjective because not everyone can like the same thing and you can't please everyone.  I guess that's why you will always have people say they are done with the show but that there are still millions more who love it. 

I liked the episode - I thought that it wrapped things up kind of how I expected to and I'm glad to be done with the storyline as it was getting really unbelievable that, despite so many opportunities to kill Negan, Rick didn't kill him.  If he had escaped again I would have found it hard to follow.  

There were a few things I didn't like though.  1) I didn't like the way they have made Morgan go - from being great guy, to killing everyone, to killing NOONE and now back to a crazy person again.  We waited a long time for Morgan to come back and I feel they have ruined his character.  2) I don't like that Daryl sent Dwight away - they are happy to live in peace with others who did much worse but not Dwight who had changed his ways, helped them beat Negan and was genuinely sorry and ready to die for his crimes. 3) They took too long to save Negan - you would die bleeding out pretty quickly with a slit throat 4) I hated the bit where Maggie et al were plotting against Rick and Michonne.  It wasn't hugely clear to me why - I presumed it was because they saved Negan but I didn't really see why that was Michonne's fault :-/

Partyof5

Partyof5

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 131 posts

I didn't like the way they have made Morgan go - from being great guy, to killing everyone, to killing NOONE and now back to a crazy person again.  We waited a long time for Morgan to come back and I feel they have ruined his character.  

They have done this with a number of characters.  I agree with you about Morgan.  Funny how in the FTWD premiere he's back to "I don't kill anyone".  He literally said it in the episode. :)  Makes me even more sure that the writers come up with how the story will go and then fill in which characters do what at the end.  It's my best explanation for the constant 180s so many characters go through. 

Zombie_killer

Zombie_killer

Lurker

• Members
  • 351 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK

They have done this with a number of characters.  I agree with you about Morgan.  Funny how in the FTWD premiere he's back to "I don't kill anyone".  He literally said it in the episode. :)  Makes me even more sure that the writers come up with how the story will go and then fill in which characters do what at the end.  It's my best explanation for the constant 180s so many characters go through. 

I've not seen the Fear the Walking Dead episode from last night but that makes me even more pissed off about it - it just doesn't make sense.  I could understand how he initially went to wanting to kill everyone because he feels that if he had been that way at the start then his son would still be alive. I can then understand how Eastman turned him into a pacifist.  At a stretch I could even understand why he would want to kill the saviours after seeing them kill Benjamin.  What I just can't understand is why they now have him back to plain crazy - seeing dead people around and the ranting etc as he was after Dwayne died.  It just doesn't fit with it at all and really makes a mockery of his character. 

Having said that, these are the same people who thought it was good to swap him over to FTWD - seriously, the two locations are supposed to be 2200 miles away from each other, how are we to suspend disbelief enough to feel that would ever be possible.  What reason would Morgan have for trying to travel such a huge distance when we know how many people died trying to get Eugene from Houston to Washington (and that was with a big group of them).  To me that is just one step too far.  As much as I longed for Morgan to come back after they saw him again in Clear, it was ridiculous that he managed to find where Rick was let alone ending up with the FTWD people.  I feel that it would have been a preferable ending if they just let him go off into the sunset never to be heard from again.

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members
  • 518 posts

I voted Fair.

As jgreenwood observed, it felt like they were just going through the motions with this one.

I did like the "surprise" when Rick "killed" Negan! Then they, IMO, ruined it by having him live.

The addition of the Oceanside folks seemed to be just thrown in.

The battle scene was ridiculous...lets all stand in the open in a line and blast away at each other.

I disliked the "TWD moments" in FTWD. Again, seemed pro forma.

The Maggie, Jesus, Daryl cabal was jarring, but sure interesting! It seemed to come out of nowhere, but could really set up things for an interesting next season. That is, if AMC actually re-signs Cohen.

Overall, the FTWD episode was much better, at least to me.

xpoc454

xpoc454

Infected

• Members
  • 70 posts

This finale was pure horrible writing chaos.  

Eugene, gabriel and maggie parts I guess were okay.

The end scene with maggie, darryl and jesus??

I thought Jesus was all about saving people and keeping him alive. That didn't make sense to me at all.

Darryl maybe a little but not Jesus who gives a lecture to Morgan in the same episode.

The oceanside group was 20 second of pointless.

Negan hits rick in the stomach with barb wired bat and tells he he is all busted open. Does that mean he has an open wound with a bat dipped in magic new walker juice and will be infected?

Trash-heap jadis anne?, like said above, joins the group pretty quickly.  I am sure she will be bad and good a few more times next season.

I don't know how many saviors there were in the story, but every time 50+ get killed. Negan bring in another group of 100.

FTWD- Okay i have been letting go on them using gas for many years after the outbreak.  I think gas "may' be okay in a sealed container but Morgan randomly finds a car with a full tank of gas and a fully charged battery. (Im not sure if I would believe the battery).  

Also, it has been said before I am sure.  How many modern cars can have there wires pulled out and hot wired like a bad 70s tv show?  :)

jaco

jaco

Roamer

• Members
  • 500 posts

The one odd part about saving Negan is we really didn't see any point where the Saviors were in unrest or open revolt against him.  With the "we are Negan" I'd fully expect his sycophants to try and free him.   He almost had to die for that reason alone as this was written.  The blond who lived just to get even with Dwight was the first to surrender.  WTF?    Simon was the only one who voiced doubts about Negan's leadership and he was killed off, so I think they should've cultivated this theme more in order for me to believe that people are okay with Negan sitting in a jail cell.   

omegaman

omegaman

Roamer

• Members
  • 469 posts

FTWD- Okay i have been letting go on them using gas for many years after the outbreak.  I think gas "may' be okay in a sealed container but Morgan randomly finds a car with a full tank of gas and a fully charged battery. (Im not sure if I would believe the battery).  

Also, it has been said before I am sure.  How many modern cars can have there wires pulled out and hot wired like a bad 70s tv show?  :)

I know right!  I cringed when I saw the sparks while he was hotwiring. Forget the gas, how does that battery still have charge? Anyways I guess physics are different in TWD universe. That's how my brain rationalizes it.

cornjob

cornjob

Lurker

• Members
  • 249 posts
I was very confused when the group stopped to look st something and how big it was. At the end we saw it was a giant herd.

Prediction:
Jades and Michonne have a fight over Rick and Jadis ends up exiled....later to come back as leader of a future group. But I hope not.

Negan’s Jugular vein was sliced open. Even with immediate medical care, that’s probably fatal. I know it was based on the comic events, but it was poorly executed. Attention to realism like that is the difference between a well-written/directed show and network filler.

Oceanside feels like the whole subplot has been a long wait for a short bus.

I haven’t watched Ftwd premiere yet. I am not sure they should be trying to tie it closer to TwD right now though. More the opposite.

Lyrad13

Lyrad13

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

My opinion is almost always different than the majority.   It seems when things are difficult for the group , many are unhappy about it , and it's unbelievable .  When things actually go their way , people are still unhappy and it's too clean.    I just love the show and will continue to tune in faithfully. 

I loved this episode , everything about it except the bit where we got to Maggie, Daryl and Jesus (Jesus???? .... who was just schooling Morgan on NOT having to kill?????) .  I know it's too soon to speculate ....but it would seem this is because they let Negan live.   For me,  them turning on Rick and Michonne at all is a no go for me.   And Daryl just let Dwight live ....so ......

This is the only part that is not sitting well with me.

I was on the edge of my seat and cheering at certain parts.  I still hate Eugene but the bullet debacle was awesome. And I loved that the Oceanside showed up at a crucial moment.  

I would have preferred Negan die, (even if that means not seeing JDM anymore) , but I thought it was a great finale.

Edited by Lyrad13, 16 April 2018 - 07:07 PM.

Jgreenwood

Jgreenwood

Roamer

• Members
  • 516 posts

I thought the premise of Morgan on FTWD was that it took place prior to him meeting up with Rick during the "Clear" episode...is that not the case?

Alessia2

Alessia2

Lurker

• Members
  • 277 posts

I had not too good expections and maybe that is the reason I surprised a lot for how much I enjoyed this episode. I voted Excellent, though I thought of Good as well. But it was way better than I had expected and I really enjoyed it. :) I will re-watch it shortly and see if I change my mind but for first round of watching I really liked it all.

At first, I have to say (as you may remember from some earlier discussion) that even still I already thought there is no realistic way to let Negan live, I accepted this option quite easily. I saw it coming but didn´t think it would feel good that way. I was surprised I actually felt proud of Rick first time for several seasons. As cheesy as his talk might have been, it hit on me. He definitely had changed from the man he was, and if it took Carl´s death for him to realise that he wasn´t a good man anymore, but still wanted to become one, I am ready to accept it all. Didn´t think I would, but I liked Rick first time for a long long time. In the beginning he was watching himself from the mirror over Gracie´s bed as he was once before in beginning of the season, seeing a monster where he had probably hoped to see a hero. I think that was powerful moment, as obvious as it might be. I liked it.

I think this episode was made in beautiful way. No matter if the fight on open ground might have been tactically stupid move, it looked really really beautiful in there. Finally a wonderful, airy and light scene - no night, no darkness, everyone could be actually seen! They were all together, the Saviors arriving in line from the hills with big numbers looked impressive and also beautiful. I don´t remember ever seeing such a beautiful scene used in TWD as in there. (Maybe the moment when Morgan walked in the bluebell meadow...Don´t remember many such things.) I was well spoiled beforehand but still was surprised of many things in the episode. The line-up and shoot scene was way better than I imagined and made in visually beautiful way and it wasn´t scary. Also the fight between Rick and Negan wasn´t too scary which I liked. I believe Negan´s wound wasn´t as deep as it seemed, otherwise he wouldn´t have survived, plus the bandage on the wound was very small. Still a very impressive moment and how Rick used the glass was surprise for me too. I didn´t quite realise it until afterwards.

Only thing I didn´t quite get was why there were such glass painting works on the tree in middle of nowhere from human habitat? Just for decoration? Or did I miss something (will watch closer soon, it will start shortly in tv)?

I loved that Daryl gave Dwight a chance after all. I didn´t really like Dwight at all until this season and hoped him to die, but the character has slowly grown for me and I just wanted to give him a hug. Both of them actually. It was sweet of Daryl to encourage Dwight to go and find Sherry. <3 Maybe there still is a romantic heart inside him. ;) I didn´t like that he said if Dwight comes back he´ll kill him, but I think Daryl only said it not to "lose his face" in front of him after everything... More than actually meaning it that way? Hoping so, at least.   

I also loved to see that Jadis revealed her true name... Anne seems so plain no wonder she had chosen an artist name. ;) I wonder if it is some sort of nod to her artistic nature, as I found this painting of Sophia Anne Jadis: http://www.nationalt.../object/1276754

I hope that Jadis will be accepted to the group, though I wonder too, what happened to her evacuation with helicopter plan? Was it like the once in a lifetime - get in a helicopter -chance or what? ;) LOL. Well, now she´ll get her chance to turn Rick´s head to polygamist lifestyle. ;)

I voted good. Excellent at first, but changed it. The episode had flaws, the biggest of which for me was the tired cliche of the bad guy falling for the "wait, let me explain" routine.

I didn't like Daryl forcing Dwight to leave. Why do the others get to stay but the one that actually tried to help gets shunned?

Kombat, somehow I felt great that at least once in his life Negan was the listening one! LOL.

I think Daryl had something personal with Dwight, not with the others. That´s why. But I agree, why not to wholy forgive him if the others too...

I voted good on a scale of season 8 (compared to other episodes this season).    It was a weird fast wrap up.   About 60 people on a hillside in a big line have their guns explode in their faces.   Rick's group looked about 20 strong.  I don't know..

The end scene with Maggie was not good.  Daryl doubling back on Rick, and then there's Jesus..the guy who was telling Morgan to not kill people if he didn't have to.  Why would he participate in a scheme like that?  My only thought is this was because of Lauren Cohen's contract status, and not being sure which way they want to take the story.   It was a dumb cliffhanger.   

The Maggie scene was probably there not to make it too sweet and pretty with Negan... They know many of us are having trouble with accepting Negan to live, so now there is someone to side with in there? I think Jesus looked like he wasn´t happy to be part in such plan... I got the vision he thinks killing Negan would keep more people safe, that is why he is in. Daryl though has plenty of reasons to agree Maggie here. I´m glad he understood Dwight was mostly doing what he had to do to survive, and spared him.

I also agree that the ending for Maggie was left open on purpose, because there is no sure what to do with her later. I use the spoiler tag just in case, though it is just speculation of mine.

Spoiler

Bric

Bric

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL.
Well if you all are gonna bring up the questions about car batteries and gasoline I'm gonna throw in the 2 way radio batteries that should've died out about 7 years ago.
"Hilltop 1, this is sanctuary 1... we got a big herd approaching from the southeast, over."
"I copy that, Sanctuary 1, but uh...stand by. I gotta go recharge my lithium ion battery using this convenient 1982 Honda Civic cigarette lighter which I've removed the alternator from it in order to up the charge and also the Cadilitic converter in order for it to run on corn oil, so I'm going to be a couple of minutes here..."

BTW, all that was just gibberish. I'm just playin'
"There are many new walls around the village... they won't keep us out..."
"They weren't built to keep you out. They were built to keep you in."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!