Photo

The Walking Dead - Season 8, Episode 11 - Dead Or Alive Or - Review

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your opinion of this episode? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your opinion of this episode?

1. Wicked awesome! Couldn't be happier. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Pretty decent, had fun watching but could have been better. (19 votes [67.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.86%

3. Eh. It was whatever. (9 votes [32.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.14%

4. My eyeballs wanted to fall out of their own free will. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • 3,939 posts
  • LocationThe Tardis

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • 1,285 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln

I lol'ed when Enid fell to the ground sobbing that everyone just walked past her and ignored her, like come on.

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • 3,705 posts
  • LocationEye Socket

I lol'ed when Enid fell to the ground sobbing that everyone just walked past her and ignored her, like come on.

I think Maggie eventually consoled her.  Could be wrong.

The best part was Morgan parroting Negan in a weird way.

He told Benjamin's little brother that Gavin killed Benjamin.  He didn't, directly.  The tongue flicking hipster did but Gavin was in charge.

Negan told Rick that he got Carl killed and the premise was the same.  

I liked the mirror effect there.

Overall, I enjoyed it.

Posted Image

Jgreenwood

Jgreenwood

Roamer

• Members
  • 478 posts

Are we now supposed to believe that Walker blood in an open wound will turn somebody? Hopefully, this turns out to be just wishful thinking on Negan's part because we have seen extensively over 8 seasons that it doesn't work that way.

xpoc454

xpoc454

Infected

• Members
  • 62 posts

I think that is the plan and once again it will be confusing. :)

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Are we now supposed to believe that Walker blood in an open wound will turn somebody? Hopefully, this turns out to be just wishful thinking on Negan's part because we have seen extensively over 8 seasons that it doesn't work that way.

Tiny was scratched by a walker, and Tomas killed him before we got the chance to see what would happen.

Dale had a pretty major scratch. Assuming he would've survived having his gut ripped open, again, he was killed before we could see what would've happened.

Who else has had an open wound and got walker blood/guts in it?

I guess there was Michonne who had a wound when Merle was chasing her and she got walker blood dumped on her which masked her for a bit. But the wound was under her clothing if I remember right.

Spoiler

Edited by kombat, 12 March 2018 - 02:29 PM.

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members
  • 493 posts

If I remember rightly, the entire premise of "get bit & die" has nothing to do with blood or guts. It has to do with the horrific conditions inside a walkers mouth. The vicious stew of germs kills the victim. Once dead, the dormant "thing" that everyone has activates and a walker emerges. At least that was the way Kirkman (again if memory serves) described it years ago.

limaro

limaro

Biter

• Members
  • 1,007 posts
  • LocationOhio, US

I skipped last week for the first time ever. Had to get work extra early on Monday and figured I'd watch TWD after work. Never got around to it, and didn't miss it.  Came back this week, but with no sense of urgency.  I guess it's not "must see" material for me anymore.

Was really po'd that Gabriel and Dwight wind up right back where they started.  No progress.  Nothing changes.  This whole War just keeps going in circles.

The weaponized walker guts thing is stupid and insulting to the viewers.  We've seen how many characters cover themselves in entrails and goo to make it though a crowd?  None of them ever had a paper cut, or nick from shaving, or skinned knee? Or got a drop in their eyes or mouth or whatever? Hogwash.

Edited by limaro, 12 March 2018 - 05:14 PM.

“That wasn't any act of God. That was an act of pure human fuckery.”
― Stephen King, The Stand

CrystalBabyGrimm

CrystalBabyGrimm

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Also in season 2 shane used a knife to cut his hand open. The same knife he had just used seconds before to kill walkers.

Didnt abe get a scratch from Sasha too after she had just killed zombies?
Posted Image
"One more thing......he was an organ donor".

youdizzz

youdizzz

Infected

• Members
  • 26 posts

Also in season 2 shane used a knife to cut his hand open. The same knife he had just used seconds before to kill walkers.

Didnt abe get a scratch from Sasha too after she had just killed zombies?

Yup, Abe got cut by Sasha's bloody knife. I thought it was gonna affect him in any way. But nah..

daenerys

daenerys

Roamer

• Members
  • 692 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

The voting options are limited so I am now going to add a (+) or a (-) after my vote to give it a little bit more depth.  This episode got a Pretty Decent (-) vote from me.  I added the (-) because the episode was good but it fell short of last weeks imo and I don't think it deserves the same vote.

Rambling thoughts:  Negan is totally onto Eugene being the one to let Gabe and the Doctor go. He can't do much about it though because he needs Eugene to make bullets, so at the moment he is just toying with him and letting him know he is watching carefully.  I still love Negan's scenes because he ups the anti and keeps things fresh.  

I am really liking Maggie these days.  I love how she doesn't take any rubbish from Gregory and the Saviours held prisoner.  I hope her letting them out in pairs does not back fire, and that it shows compassion rather than weakness on her part.  Any of the prisoners who are reasonable will be much more likely to turn towards her cause in the future if she treats them well.

The Gabe and Carson story line slowed things down too much for my liking.  Now Carson is dead and semi-blind Gabe is back with Negan.  Do I care?  Not particularly.

I feel like the Alexandrian's in the forest was a lot of filler for the sake of it.  Sure, toss in some walkers but do it in one scene, don't drag it out for the whole episode.  I guess it was to give Dwight the chance to deflect again (although I still think he is on Rick's side). I don't blame him for leaving Tara and he can probably be more useful to Rick if he goes back undercover with Negan. Vague comic spoiler

Spoiler

Things were just starting to get interesting in the last 8 or so minutes last night and then the episode ended. And where was Rick?  I want plot movement instead of forced emotional scenes between characters I don't particularly care about.  I love this show but so much of it is rambling and plot irrelevant.  Unlike last week, I don't feel as if I've had my WD 'hit' this week.  I wish they would streamline the series and focus more on the characters I am interested in.  I am still watching but I am slipping back into turning the TV off after and episode and not thinking about it again until the following week.

Thanos

Thanos

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • LocationLondon
I agree they must think we are pretty thick if they think that we will fall for catapult walkers we know only a bite kills.

Bug

Bug

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Moderators
  • 6,408 posts

Yes sir, this is true.  One of the most memorable wounds for me was when T Dog got that nasty gash early in the series.  To save his life Daryl threw a walker on him.  He even put part of the walker on the gash. That didn't kill him.  Walkers eating him at the prison did.

Edited by Bug, 13 March 2018 - 07:52 AM.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • 2,532 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Voted good. Other than that I don't have a helluva lot to say. 

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

bully8

bully8

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 122 posts

I didn't really buy into Negan's reaction to Carl's death.  Wasn't it just last season that Negan had Rick and Carl kneeling down, ready to kill both of them, when Ezekiel and the tiger swooped in to save them?  I guess he suddenly got all fond of Carl again after Rick attacked his compound?

I liked Dwight re-joining the Saviors.  Tara can't see the upside in having him on their team.  It seems a little hypocritical that she is so against Dwight switching sides, when she was once on the Governor's side.  Well there is the fact that Dwight killed Denise, but he really meant to kill Daryl instead - and Daryl still sees the value in having him around.

And here's a thought:  When Tara fired at Dwight, the Saviors patrol didn't hear it?  They weren't that far away.  They would have heard that from a mile away.

I'm kind of a Dwight fan at this point.  He is a broken man.  Everybody is against him and nobody is for him.  He doesn't care about life except for getting revenge on Negan.  I want him to do something really cool to take down Negan.

cornjob

cornjob

Lurker

• Members
  • 248 posts

Am I the only one that finds THIS Tara tedious? 

If she wants to kill Dwight so badly, I think she would just kill him. But harassing and threatening him, and complaining about him constantly, its harmed the character. 

We have a bit of a mystery where the escaped Savior (Laura?) with the neck tattoo went, if she didn't get back to the Saviors yet. Sounds like Dwight was going to try to frame her, or make it his word against hers regarding the massacre. 

Poor Gabriel. But he's probably lucky he got captured if the doctor wasn't around to help him. He wouldn't last long on his own not being able to see threats.

Alessia2

Alessia2

Lurker

• Members
  • 267 posts

Voted for "pretty decent", I wish I could have been able to say it was awesome as it was a Daryl episode... It was good but definitely could have been even better! Anyways it was awesome that there was more screen time for Daryl in general. ;)

I liked that Morgan tried to make little Henry think killing is done for him by telling him it was Gavin. He wanted to spare Henry for starting a new circle of revenge. That was well done.

I don´t believe walker blood by itself would be actually so infecting. Maybe in the case it gets inside you but not on surface of the skin for sure... Negan is probably wishful because of Gabriel´s situation. I liked the Negan scenes a lot. Eugene is still an annoying idiot there, but I believe he´ll do his best to help Rick´s people after all. :)

Was really po'd that Gabriel and Dwight wind up right back where they started.  No progress.  Nothing changes.  This whole War just keeps going in circles.

That is one of the things that made me end up with the "pretty decent" rate instead of awesome... Lots of happens but doesn´t lead anywhere... At least with Gabriel. In Dwight´s situation though it gave us (and Tara) a reason to believe in him. That made it understandable. For Gabriel I was really disappointed what happened after everything.

I liked Dwight re-joining the Saviors.  Tara can't see the upside in having him on their team.  It seems a little hypocritical that she is so against Dwight switching sides, when she was once on the Governor's side.  Well there is the fact that Dwight killed Denise, but he really meant to kill Daryl instead - and Daryl still sees the value in having him around.

Tara seems to have forgotten her own past... Daryl instead surprised me happily with his attitude, thinking for Dwight not only killing Denise that he considered as a friend, but also betraying him, shooting him to shoulder, taking part inprisoning and torturing him and all... Still he saw it was not a time for a kill and he could be trusted and taken in, at least trusted enough.

I never really liked Dwight but now I do. He has finally convinced me being interesting character enough. Sherry´s leaving made him change and he has become better all the time so far.

Like cornjob, I felt Tara´s acting unreasonable and petty. I have liked Tara but it feels now she is stupidly murderous and I don´t like the revenge thing at all. She should see it was mostly an unhappy coincidence.

I actually start to like Gabriel more and more by time. Many seasons I mostly have disliked him. I hope he´ll make it and keep smiling. :)

What I liked in the episode most was to see Daryl in a role with actual spoken lines and not just grunting. He was leading the group quite well and got them all safely to Hilltop! Also I liked how he controlled his temper very quickly when noticed Judith was getting scared for his loud voice and cursing. I love to see how he loves that child and takes care of her. :) Daryl surprised me positively here as he put Tara in her place and reminded what was important and what wasn´t in that point. Just short time ago he was himself in the same place than Tara, full of wishing to revenge, but seems now he suddenly sees things better. I hope so at least.

Also it was lovely to watch Judith playing and been taken care of in behind of scenes. I love this set of twins playing Judith, they are super cute and nice little actresses. I also started to think more of the not so familiar Alexandrians, the woman taking care of her (I don´t remember if we have been introduced her yet or if I just don´t remember?) and Tobin. I never really liked Tobin from first place because for some reason I though him as suspicious or possibly a bad guy disguised (which he after all wasn´t, but a honest nice guy instead) plus I hated to see Carol with him, even for that short time! So hopefully we´ll get to see him getting together with this nice lady and becoming a happy side character?

The scene of them arriving to Hilltop, Daryl carrying Judith and Carol running to them, was not quite enough though I had already prepared for the clips in the sneak peek videos were to make all Caryl shippers watch, but still not going to give anything more for them to enjoy. Just like last season, with the hug scene on the road before walker herd came. Still though it was lovely to see and I enjoyed seeing quite a lot of Carol in the episode too. But that was definitely the "could have been better" in the rating description.

Carol in general was lovely in this episode. She was very pretty, very calm and caring but still full of emotion. I liked her with Morgan and the kid here. That was really nice to watch, and also liked a lot all the Maggie scenes. The scene of her resting her hand on her baby belly and watching little Gracie was sweet reminder of her carrying (still in early state) Glenn´s baby.

I hope too that her mercy will not backfire as I like that kind seeming Savior. I hope he is not using her and being evil inside. Rick´s group would need more people and I´d like to see these Saviors joining them.

Bug

Bug

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Moderators
  • 6,408 posts
How sad that the writers aren't taking advantage of an opportunity with Tara. Instead of centering on her extreme hatred of Dwight I feel she should be conflicted. Yes, he killed Denise. That's a good reason to hate him, but she was involved in the attack on the prison. He came to them wanting to be rid of Negan. We should see a woman with internal conflict. She should hate him, but be haunted by her actions and the forgiveness she had been given. Instead we see this vicious person that we don't know.

I miss the character development that made us wait impatiently to see how the people were dealing with their lives. It's more effective than these long drawn out sad shots.

cornjob

cornjob

Lurker

• Members
  • 248 posts

How sad that the writers aren't taking advantage of an opportunity with Tara. Instead of centering on her extreme hatred of Dwight I feel she should be conflicted. Yes, he killed Denise. That's a good reason to hate him, but she was involved in the attack on the prison. He came to them wanting to be rid of Negan. We should see a woman with internal conflict. She should hate him, but be haunted by her actions and the forgiveness she had been given. Instead we see this vicious person that we don't know.

I miss the character development that made us wait impatiently to see how the people were dealing with their lives. It's more effective than these long drawn out sad shots.

I wish I could upvote that comment more than once. 

Alessia2

Alessia2

Lurker

• Members
  • 267 posts

So true, there would be so much more potential in Tara.

It feels interesting to see that nobody voted the best or worst option. This episode doesn´t really divide opinions.

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • 710 posts
  • LocationChicago area

I voted Good on this one. There wasn't a lot to build on, but it was enjoyable to watch, which compensated for the lack of growth.

I thought Tara was a little too drawn out with Dwight, and telegraphed. The clearing of the swamp was just long enough to be interesting and not drawn out.

The Preacher and the Doctor had a nice little thing going between the finding of the shack, it's owner, and the unlikely discoveries indicating higher guidance. It was a fun build up. Of course Negan's peeps ruined it, but the bear traps in the brush were going to be a minus in the column if that's all the characters overcame. I can take it for fun and leave it as Good.

Negan's camp has some mighty fine dissension brewing between Dwight, Eugene, Simon and everyone else. It's that close to splintering and self destructing if something tips the scales a little more. Not out of angry rebellion and fighting, but by disagreement and separation of power base.

"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • 710 posts
  • LocationChicago area

For the record, I think Walker blood is substantially more infectious than other things out there, so it's not all that flawed a plan...but it's not perfect. The blood making contact in a cut won't guarantee death and turning I don't think, but it WILL scare them. Psychological warfare is the very least that will get accomplished. 

"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

cornjob

cornjob

Lurker

• Members
  • 248 posts

It would be plausible that the contagion mutated in a significant way, and that the old rules are no longer true. That said, I don't think that's what the writers are conveying here. 

auximenes

auximenes

Lurker

• Members
  • 253 posts

Me either. Either Negan doesn't understand that everybody is already infected, knows that they all are infected and assumes that Rick and the gang doesn't know that, or just doesn't care because of the trauma caused by lobbing walker goo over the walls at them is worth it. Whichever it is I don't think the show is trying to convey a change in the infection rules.

Alessia2

Alessia2

Lurker

• Members
  • 267 posts

Me either. Either Negan doesn't understand that everybody is already infected, knows that they all are infected and assumes that Rick and the gang doesn't know that, or just doesn't care because of the trauma caused by lobbing walker goo over the walls at them is worth it. Whichever it is I don't think the show is trying to convey a change in the infection rules.

How would Negan (or anyone else) know that, as Rick´s group got the info straight from Jenner? I don´t think it was common knowledge. Also in beginning of Fear they tried to separate the people to prevent it to spread, with no luck. What ever caused it to happen, it seemed to infect everybody at once?

I hope the show would tell us more about the infection and even still there might be no cure, at least something about trying to get it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!