Who Do You Miss The Most?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Rague

Rague

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 105 posts

I'm re-binging The Walking Dead and I'm on Season 5, Slabtown.

I never realized how much this show lost with Beth Greene. The first time through I was kind of "eh," towards her character. Sure she had an effect on Daryl and Maggie, but that was about it. I forgot about her musical numbers and how she improved the ambiance back when Team Rick first moved into the prison. I'd forgotten just how much she changed Daryl in "Still," and it hadn't occurred to me that two show-exclusive characters had shared an episode together. 

I keep thinking back to the scene of her singing to Daryl in that coffin - no I'm not a shipper - got me all nostalgic and teary-eyed, longing for the days when this show could have quiet, tender scenes like that.  The group never had a decent singer after that.

The words Beth spoke an episode prior, "You're gonna miss me so bad when I'm gone, Daryl Dixon," and the conviction she had that she wasn't going to make it, and that Daryl would be the last man standing.

I don't know. That just chills me, especially looking at Daryl now.

It struck me how much I realized I missed Beth. Anybody else got a character they sorely miss?

Bug

Bug

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Moderators
  • 7,087 posts
As one of his fangirls, the easy answer, despite Dumpstergate, remains Glenn. I enjoyed watching him fall in love and mature. I also miss Herschel as the father figure of the group. There were several characters that brought to the show a depth that has not been filled since.

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • 3,705 posts
  • LocationEye Socket

Merle and Milton.  I know, I know.

Merle was great because, well, Michael Rooker, hello?!?!?!  He really plays the racist, redneck, misogynistic stereotype extremely well.  He also plays the junior antihero very well.  And he plays southern family extremely well.  Loyal to a fault and really effing harsh with them at the same time.

Milton, the reluctant, innocent man with a conscience who has duped a whole village into protecting his well intended but sadly, cowardly butt until the end is near. There are lots of both all around us, just not so candidly so.

They both are on very shaky ground both emotionally and realistically.  Makes for a great splicing of two worlds.

Posted Image

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 2,123 posts
  • LocationOttawa

I miss Glenn the most. Quite probably because I think Glenn is the closest approximation of who I would be. I truly believe I'm a fierce survivor, but not a natural one. Like Glenn. I would be constantly battling an internal struggle on the ethics of my behavior, like Glenn. But I wouldn't compromise the safety of my family- like Glenn.

Some argue that Glenn's purpose was to represent the audience as a character. I can see that. Obviously some people would become a Rick, Maggie, Daryl, Michonne, Carol, Abe- what have you. But most of us, if we survived, would be like Glenn I think. A few other characters are in that same zone: Aaron, Tara, Ty  for a while; but Glenn did so from the beginning.

Because of that he was a counter-weight to Rick in a way that no one else has been consistently.

I have to admit I also miss the possibilities Merle brought. Some people you really can't stand will survive, and you may depend on them. How do you reconcile that? In TWD you don't have to. Anyone with a horrible side to their character that might sting to be around loses that quality. Merle would be simultaneously a heavy burden for the group and a great help. His journey would have been interesting. Of course, were I Glenn, I'd never allow Merle in the group. I think the actors would enjoy the weight of that challenge. Based on recent writing I doubt the writers could handle the job.

I also miss Bob because if you take away his alcoholism he was another window into their world for me. The positive vibe is missed.

I think Tyreese was great for the show, another lost dynamic. A Glenn who couldn't balance being a 'Glenn' while surviving. Another route many of us would sadly go. That journey of reconciling we we were, who we want to be, and who we have to be is powerful. It's why TWD was great. And some of us will fail at the job like Ty.

Edited by mosher, 10 February 2018 - 03:26 PM.

Alessia2

Alessia2

Lurker

• Members
  • 277 posts

I miss Glenn, Sasha and Merle the most. I agree that Merle was an a**hole for a character (Rooker definitely nailed the role!) but that type of a**hole that you still love. :) I compare for the Governor, which I really really hated (well played role in that way too, must admit) and just hoped him to be gone. I like even Negan way better. ;) He is at least interesting and has his funny side. 

Rague, I never really liked Beth, but I think so too, that her death left deep scars for all the group, specially Daryl and Maggie. I liked those mutual episodes of her and Daryl, where she managed to dig the best out from Daryl, and helped him to develope to a better person than how he felt himself being. The coffin and piano scene was sweet and serene. :) I´m not a shipper either but why I didn´t really like her was that teen behaviour of hers; suicide tryouts and stubborn decision to get drunk right away, etc. Still being annoying by times, she was a sweet girl too and sort of a symbol of hope and better world in the apocalypse, too. :)

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

This has to be the first time I've heard someone say they missed Beth singing.  :blink:

For me it's Glenn and Hershel for reasons already stated.

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • 3,705 posts
  • LocationEye Socket

This has to be the first time I've heard someone say they missed Beth singing.  :blink:

For me it's Glenn and Hershel for reasons already stated.

Me too.  When Tyreese died, we both looked at each other and expressed sadness for the poor guy.  It stole his thunder and brought back EK's aspiring musical career.  Sigh.

Posted Image

RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN

Infected

• Members
  • 48 posts
I miss Lori....

LOL just kidding, i miss Shane. Shit would have went diferent if Shane were around.

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln

OLIVIA :(

cornjob

cornjob

Lurker

• Members
  • 249 posts

What is a "shipper"?

I miss Abe. The blend of toughness, humor and loyalty made him easy to like, and the show is missing an important element that was never effectively replaced without him. 

DeadOnMyFeet

DeadOnMyFeet

Fighting for Truth, Justice, and the American Movie Classics Way

• Moderators
  • 2,386 posts
  • Location30 mins from Hollywood
A shipper is simply a person who imagines or tries to influence others to imagine a relationSHIP between two TV characters, usually with combined names like Daryl and Beth becoming "Death".

Yes I miss Abe tol, he's one of the ones I really wanted to see them do good things with.

nrg8

nrg8

Infected

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationManitoba Canada
Carols vibrator, season one gravel pit.

etphoto

etphoto

Biter

• Members
  • 938 posts

Who do I miss? Not Carl

Shanfan

Shanfan

Infected

• Members
  • 56 posts
I miss Andrea. Not the crackpot Andrea the writers turned her into, but the kick ass Andrea she should have been.

Edited by Shanfan, 26 February 2018 - 05:04 AM.

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members
  • 426 posts

Phil, Shane, Otis, Merle, Dawn, and i guess i will miss more people by the end of the savior arc.

daenerys

daenerys

Roamer

• Members
  • 692 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

I still miss Shane the most.  There is nobody else like him in the show and I think he added an interesting dynamic.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

A shipper is simply a person who imagines or tries to influence others to imagine a relationSHIP between two TV characters, usually with combined names like Daryl and Beth becoming "Death".

Yes I miss Abe tol, he's one of the ones I really wanted to see them do good things with.

That terms has actually been around a while. The first time I heard it was in the 90's when people were "shipping" Fox Mulder and Dana Scully.

Regarding Abe, yeah. Loved his one liners. Like Tyreese before him, he was another that the writers short-changed. Neither came close to their comic counterparts.

Partyof5

Partyof5

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 129 posts

Too much death on TWD.  It's really getting depressing. 

Beth

Bob

Sascha

Lori

Shane

Sophia

Dale

Glenn

Abe

Tyreese

Andrea

T-Dog

Lizzie

Hershel

Noah

Holly

Most of Woodbury.  The ones they "saved" ended up dying in the prison from illness.

All the prisoners at the prison.

Most of Alexandria.

Everyone from Hershel's farm except for Maggie.

"You people are like a plague!"

Edited by Partyof5, 26 February 2018 - 03:11 PM.

gilbert

gilbert

Infected

• Members
  • 40 posts

I miss Lori....

LOL just kidding, i miss Shane. Shit would have went diferent if Shane were around.

I saw the Lori before the LOL, I'm thinking what? Thats like missing andrea, blah!

I miss Merle also, I absolutely loved his character.....Glen, like others, I enjoyed watching him mature, I think Glen, Daryl and Carol are the most evolved characters

Partyof5

Partyof5

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 129 posts

I miss the original writing team the most. 

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

No kidding. Frank Darabount all the way. And where's the Scott Gimple that wrote The Grove, Clear, and Pretty Much Dead Already?

Edited by kombat, 26 February 2018 - 04:54 PM.

DeadOnMyFeet

DeadOnMyFeet

Fighting for Truth, Justice, and the American Movie Classics Way

• Moderators
  • 2,386 posts
  • Location30 mins from Hollywood
And may we not forget that Gimple whos inspired massive fan complaints to AMC for several seasons,
got that big promotion, to supervisor of all their similar shows, including FTWD.
And his replacement for TWD was hand picked by him, a writer on the show for several
seasons. She will no doubt continue his "vision" into season 9.

Edited by DeadOnMyFeet, 26 February 2018 - 05:05 PM.

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members
  • 514 posts

I miss T-Dog. To be honest, I have not gotten too invested in any of the more "recent" characters. I still remember Jaqui, Merle, Amy, etc from Seasons 1 & 2.

I can hardly remember the names of most of the current characters. And those whose names I do know--Jesus for example--I could not really tell you what they have been up to.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

I miss T-Dog. To be honest, I have not gotten too invested in any of the more "recent" characters. I still remember Jaqui, Merle, Amy, etc from Seasons 1 & 2.

I can hardly remember the names of most of the current characters. And those whose names I do know--Jesus for example--I could not really tell you what they have been up to.

Amazing isn't it how close we got to Jaqui, Jim, and Amy in just a few episodes, compared to many of the current characters that have been around for many seasons?

victoriaH

victoriaH

Infected

• Members
  • 8 posts

I have never been a shipper but I will admit after watching "still" i could not help but want/hope to see something develop between Beth and Daryl. So i was definitely so sad to see her go without getting to reunite with Daryl. I really hated her death and especially the way she died I felt  if they were going to kill her they could have done it with more drama and excitement but to me it felt rushed and not like they put much thought into it. 

Besides that i would say Merle even if he was a jerk he was really interesting and funny. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!