Who Do You Miss The Most?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Rague

Rague

Infected

• Members
  • 77 posts

I'm re-binging The Walking Dead and I'm on Season 5, Slabtown.

I never realized how much this show lost with Beth Greene. The first time through I was kind of "eh," towards her character. Sure she had an effect on Daryl and Maggie, but that was about it. I forgot about her musical numbers and how she improved the ambiance back when Team Rick first moved into the prison. I'd forgotten just how much she changed Daryl in "Still," and it hadn't occurred to me that two show-exclusive characters had shared an episode together. 

I keep thinking back to the scene of her singing to Daryl in that coffin - no I'm not a shipper - got me all nostalgic and teary-eyed, longing for the days when this show could have quiet, tender scenes like that.  The group never had a decent singer after that.

The words Beth spoke an episode prior, "You're gonna miss me so bad when I'm gone, Daryl Dixon," and the conviction she had that she wasn't going to make it, and that Daryl would be the last man standing.

I don't know. That just chills me, especially looking at Daryl now.

It struck me how much I realized I missed Beth. Anybody else got a character they sorely miss?

Bug

Bug

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Moderators
  • 5,526 posts
As one of his fangirls, the easy answer, despite Dumpstergate, remains Glenn. I enjoyed watching him fall in love and mature. I also miss Herschel as the father figure of the group. There were several characters that brought to the show a depth that has not been filled since.

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • 3,699 posts
  • LocationEye Socket

Merle and Milton.  I know, I know.

Merle was great because, well, Michael Rooker, hello?!?!?!  He really plays the racist, redneck, misogynistic stereotype extremely well.  He also plays the junior antihero very well.  And he plays southern family extremely well.  Loyal to a fault and really effing harsh with them at the same time.

Milton, the reluctant, innocent man with a conscience who has duped a whole village into protecting his well intended but sadly, cowardly butt until the end is near. There are lots of both all around us, just not so candidly so.

They both are on very shaky ground both emotionally and realistically.  Makes for a great splicing of two worlds.

Posted Image

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationOttawa

I miss Glenn the most. Quite probably because I think Glenn is the closest approximation of who I would be. I truly believe I'm a fierce survivor, but not a natural one. Like Glenn. I would be constantly battling an internal struggle on the ethics of my behavior, like Glenn. But I wouldn't compromise the safety of my family- like Glenn.

Some argue that Glenn's purpose was to represent the audience as a character. I can see that. Obviously some people would become a Rick, Maggie, Daryl, Michonne, Carol, Abe- what have you. But most of us, if we survived, would be like Glenn I think. A few other characters are in that same zone: Aaron, Tara, Ty  for a while; but Glenn did so from the beginning.

Because of that he was a counter-weight to Rick in a way that no one else has been consistently.

I have to admit I also miss the possibilities Merle brought. Some people you really can't stand will survive, and you may depend on them. How do you reconcile that? In TWD you don't have to. Anyone with a horrible side to their character that might sting to be around loses that quality. Merle would be simultaneously a heavy burden for the group and a great help. His journey would have been interesting. Of course, were I Glenn, I'd never allow Merle in the group. I think the actors would enjoy the weight of that challenge. Based on recent writing I doubt the writers could handle the job.

I also miss Bob because if you take away his alcoholism he was another window into their world for me. The positive vibe is missed.

I think Tyreese was great for the show, another lost dynamic. A Glenn who couldn't balance being a 'Glenn' while surviving. Another route many of us would sadly go. That journey of reconciling we we were, who we want to be, and who we have to be is powerful. It's why TWD was great. And some of us will fail at the job like Ty.

Edited by mosher, 10 February 2018 - 03:26 PM.

Alessia2

Alessia2

Lurker

• Members
  • 221 posts

I miss Glenn, Sasha and Merle the most. I agree that Merle was an a**hole for a character (Rooker definitely nailed the role!) but that type of a**hole that you still love. :) I compare for the Governor, which I really really hated (well played role in that way too, must admit) and just hoped him to be gone. I like even Negan way better. ;) He is at least interesting and has his funny side. 

Rague, I never really liked Beth, but I think so too, that her death left deep scars for all the group, specially Daryl and Maggie. I liked those mutual episodes of her and Daryl, where she managed to dig the best out from Daryl, and helped him to develope to a better person than how he felt himself being. The coffin and piano scene was sweet and serene. :) I´m not a shipper either but why I didn´t really like her was that teen behaviour of hers; suicide tryouts and stubborn decision to get drunk right away, etc. Still being annoying by times, she was a sweet girl too and sort of a symbol of hope and better world in the apocalypse, too. :)

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 2,008 posts

This has to be the first time I've heard someone say they missed Beth singing.  :blink:

For me it's Glenn and Hershel for reasons already stated.

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • 3,699 posts
  • LocationEye Socket

This has to be the first time I've heard someone say they missed Beth singing.  :blink:

For me it's Glenn and Hershel for reasons already stated.

Me too.  When Tyreese died, we both looked at each other and expressed sadness for the poor guy.  It stole his thunder and brought back EK's aspiring musical career.  Sigh.

Posted Image

RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN

Infected

• Members
  • 48 posts
I miss Lori....

LOL just kidding, i miss Shane. Shit would have went diferent if Shane were around.

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln

OLIVIA :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!