• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • 18,936 posts
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ

Thought I'd start an official review thread. Would have done it yesterday but things were a little busy. 

Anyway, I thought this was a decent issue. mostly dialogue, but we're beginning to see what the people of the Commonwealth are like. Glad we finally got to meet Stephanie. It seems like they have some pretty strict rules or even laws about how things are done. It also sounds like, as someone theorized last month (Madam Scorpius?) that the Commonwealth might be made up of several communities. It seems as though they have an actual functioning government and the way that Pamela Milton (aka Governor 2.0) described it seems to be the case. This seems like its going to be bigger than anything Rick & Co have encountered before. In Rick's eyes I'm sure it would be seen as an enormous threat, but I don't get the feeling these people want conflict with other people unless their hand is forced. Obviously there were some hints at some drama that will probably unfold, probably something sparking Princess to flip out a la one of the upcoming covers. The other interesting thing was that Maxwell guy "interviewing" the crew about their previous lives before "The Fall" as he put it and selected Michonne since she seemed to have the most prestigious or professional career as a lawyer. Maybe because the new Governor only wants to talk to smart and educated people? I mean Eugene is pretty smart, but apparently a high school science teacher wouldn't do, haha. And then the ending, two happy cliffhangers in a row? What the hell Kirkman? I'm glad that Michonnes daugher, Elodie is alive and well and what kind of stories we will see moving forward with that. Next month it looks like we get to meet this Officer Mercer guy. 

I'd give this issue a 6/10.

RayRey

RayRey

Infected

• Members
  • 38 posts

Just copy and pasted what I said about this issue on a different site. I think this was a very average issue..........

Sometimes I'm impressed with Kirkman's storytelling and other times I feel like he needs to go take a college course on writing. This was one of those times where I felt like he needed to enroll in a college class. 

A lot of the dialogue in this issue seemed pretty forced. It was very obvious Kirkman was artificially putting in some tension. The whole scene with Stephanie was shoe horned and she conveniently managed to tell a person she had never seen before that the place had some issues (no the creator wasn't at all trying to make the reader wonder right off the bat if this was a bad place). A better way of doing it would have been for them to get the interview process over with and then they take Eugene to Stephanie afterward and the two could have spent some time talking then. After all they say that people are free to explore if they are accepted in. Oh and Kirkman's cliched characters continue with with how he decided to make Stephanie look.

The conversation with Pamela was another area where I felt Kirkman was artificially trying to include some tension. He started off making Pamela look like a bit of a better than thou snot only to turn right around and turn her into a motherly figure who will go out of her way to bring a mother and daughter together. Now it's perfectly fine for her to have both of those characteristics but when you try to include both those traits within the same conversation it makes the storytelling feel a little jarring (especially when you are just being introduced to her character). 

Who knows. Maybe these aren't characters that are going to be getting much screen time overall and he's trying to give them as much development as he can when they are on screen. However I still feel like Kirkman could have planned out the introduction of this place a little better than he did.

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • 18,936 posts
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ

Good Observations, RayRey! Yeah a lot of the dialogue definitely felt forced and the whole tensions with Pamela and Michonne and then the total 180 on the mood of that meeting was a bit jarring for sure. I also thought it was a little weird that Stephanie was able to pick out Eugene immediately. I mean, I guess the only other male in the group was Siddiq.. but anyway, this arc definitely has me interested to see what direction the story goes. 

RayRey

RayRey

Infected

• Members
  • 38 posts

Good Observations, RayRey! Yeah a lot of the dialogue definitely felt forced and the whole tensions with Pamela and Michonne and then the total 180 on the mood of that meeting was a bit jarring for sure. I also thought it was a little weird that Stephanie was able to pick out Eugene immediately. I mean, I guess the only other male in the group was Siddiq.. but anyway, this arc definitely has me interested to see what direction the story goes. 

Yeah and I don't mean to sound insulting when I say that Kirkman needs to go enroll in a writing class but the guy literally never even went to college. A lot of the popular comic writers have a writing degree and some even have a masters but Kirkman was one of those very fortunate people who simply had an idea that people latched onto. He has gotten a lot of experience writing the books he has done there is no doubt about that. But there are still going to be times when the fact that he has pretty much just learned how to write on the fly is going to show up. And in my opinion this issue was one of those times where it showed up.

Bug

Bug

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Moderators
  • 6,569 posts
Both of you have made good observations, but I have a bad feeling. Maybe it's the history of the comic that has me expecting something unpleasant. Still I do not like the elitist attitude of this new leader.

mADAM Scorpious

mADAM Scorpious

Biter

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • LocationChemical Valley, Canada eh!

their meeting with pamela actually reminded me a lot more of when they first came to the asz then hilltop than when they met the gov. the gov was offputtingly friendly, whereas all the good guys have been cautious and took the time to interview people. i think she sees michonne as a potential political representative for the asz/kingdom/sanctuary/hilltop. i think if she was a psycho dictator, she would have felt threatened by michonnes intelligence and wouldnt have been the most welcoming to her. 

bbl, yes i was the one who made the comment about the commonwealth, thanks for the recognition. i only knew because its what england calls the collection of its colonies, and canada (and the FN if you take that interpretation of our treaties, which i do under the doctrine of contra proferentem, which may not be adhered to because canada always manages to disobey its own laws when iT comes to FN by writing it off as sui generis), as one of its colonies, is a member of the commonwealth.

rayrey, while i find it unoriginal for stephanie to steal velma dinkley's look, i do think its awesome that the comic has added it's third full figure woman(lacy greene, olivia, and now stephannie), and i think its obvious that she'll be euge's next gf and that she was made to be thicker, smarter, and use glasses to look like she was in euges league.

Madam Scorpious <~<133€
http://nythe-scorpious.blogspot.ca/

mADAM Scorpious

mADAM Scorpious

Biter

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

im also guessing that the problems stephannie mentioned are pertaining to taxation

Madam Scorpious <~<133€

mADAM Scorpious

mADAM Scorpious

Biter

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

wtf happened mich's other daughter?

Madam Scorpious <~<133€

RayRey

RayRey

Infected

• Members
  • 38 posts

rayrey, while i find it unoriginal for stephanie to steal velma dinkley's look, i do think its awesome that the comic has added it's third full figure woman(lacy greene, olivia, and now stephannie), and i think its obvious that she'll be euge's next gf and that she was made to be thicker, smarter, and use glasses to look like she was in euges league.

I agree. But it just continues to be one of those things that irritates me about Kirkman's storytelling though. These school kid style character trope's have been with the series virtually since the beginning. About half of the main cast of characters in The Walking Dead has been a cliched character of some type.

Carol being the woman with low self esteem who ends up killing herself because Tyreese cheated on her (even though she had a kid to protect).

The guy that sleeps around is the big African American former football player.

Michonne (an african american woman) sleeps with virtually every black guy she runs into,

The Governor is inline with all those cliched bad guys that you see in low budget horror movies.

Rosita, Abraham, and Eugene were all huge cliches of the types of characters they were trying to represent.

Father Gabriel is perhaps the biggest cliche of the entire book and it shows that Kirkman knows virtually nothing about priests. If anything a priest would often end up being one of the leaders of a group in a post apocalyptic world and not as the designated crazy religious zealot (as priests are often some of the most educated people out there and their jobs are to know how to interact with people).

Ezekiel (nothing more that needs to be said).

Jesus (yeah I think it would have been better for Kirkman to stay away from religious symbolisms all together).

Now I did like a lot of these characters but it still doesn't change the fact that Kirkman does have a habit of falling into cliches as a storyteller.

jbhutto

jbhutto

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 122 posts

He started off making Pamela look like a bit of a better than thou snot only to turn right around and turn her into a motherly figure who will go out of her way to bring a mother and daughter together. Now it's perfectly fine for her to have both of those characteristics but when you try to include both those traits within the same conversation it makes the storytelling feel a little jarring (especially when you are just being introduced to her character). 

Pamela views Michonne as a potential asset.  More than anything else ( ie legitimate concern ) she's making an attempt to "woo" Michonne and bring her into the fold of the Commonwealth aristocracy.  It does seem like Pamela should be a little less forthright, but perhaps that was just to speed up the story.

Bug

Bug

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Moderators
  • 6,569 posts

wtf happened mich's other daughter?

I’m wondering about this too.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!