• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

tublecane

tublecane

Biter

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
What will happen?

Bear in mind, I don't read comic books or spoilers, though I do watch previews and Talking Dead.

The Saviors are loose, and Negan told Eugene Rick is in for trouble. Which suggests they're headed toward Alexandria. I assume there will be a firefight there, just like last season's finale.

Why Alexandria is still populated after the battle last season is beyond me. Sticking around was perhaps the stupidest part of the Allies' plan. (Apparently the Filthy Garbage People were Plan B, otherwise I'd say they were the worst part.) If Michonne, Rosita, Daryl and Tara didn't get back, it's pretty much just Carl and a bunch of red shirts. And maybe Tobin and Aaron, unless Aaron is still at Hilltop. I can't remember.

Now, we saw Rick all cry-faced earlier this season in what I assume was a flash-forward, and they like to kill people in mid-season finales.* So that may have been Rick mourning someone in next week's episode. But who?

Another thing, this half-season's theme is Mercy, the title of the first episode. Which I think most people have been assuming is setting up the sparing of Negan. Or at least setting up the Allies' eventual cooperation with Savior remnants, especially Eugene and Dwight.

What could possibly convince Rick, along with everyone else, to spare Negan (and Eugene and Dwight)? Losing someone close, for one. Which will cause much self-doubt and "There's gotta be a better way" thinking.

Three characters are obvious candidates for changing Rick's worldview through death: Carl, Judith, and Michonne. The show is not going to kill a toddler. Michonne is one of the Big Four (Rick, Michonne, Daryl, and Carol) and unlikely to be offed.

Carl...well, I would have said he's the second-least likely to character to die behind Rick. Because his death, even if you hate the character, could make you think "What's it all about?" He's the future, along with Judith. What has Rick been doing all this for if not to provide him with a future? Otherwise, he's a better version of Negan: just dickin' around until it's over.

I dwell on Carl only because the Saddiq stuff gives me pause. Why did they spend precious time on their interaction? The show does waste a lot of time, admittedly. But the Carl/Saddiq thing feeds into the main theme too well. Carl wanted to be merciful, Rick didn't. Would it be too neat if when Rick has the chance to kill Negan he demures because he learned mercy from Dead Carl?

One more thing, Chandler Riggs is 18, isn't he? Is he going to college? Lots of child actors get written off shows when they go to college.

But the show can't rely kill Carl, can it? Who else is a good candidate? Morgan, because he's switching over to Fear the Walking Dead. The old favorites: Daryl and Carol. They get their deaths predicted every half-season. I don't see the show ever offing Daryl.

*Season Two: the reveal of Sophia's death.
Season Three: No one, really, except Oscar
Season Four: Herschel
Season Five: Beth
Season Six: Deanna
Season Seven: Spencer/Olivia

tublecane

tublecane

Biter

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
One more thing about Mercy. Even if the Filthy Garbage People don't betray Rick yet again and Rick becomes Mr. Mercy, is there any way the show doesn't kill them off? I mean, shall we be forced to live with them, whether or not we see them again after this season? Is that sufferable?

Last season, I was certain there was no way Rick wouldn't slaughter them to the last man, and eat their necks in ritual fashion. But now I don't see how they die with the whole Mercy thing.

Unless they fall in battle against the Saviors. But how likely is that? If they get in real trouble, they'll turn magician again, throw smoke bombs, and disappear leaving disembodied maniacal laughter in their place.

Aolain

Aolain

Lurker

• Members
  • 441 posts

Well, on Talking Dead the host said that everyone would be talking about the mid season finale. Of course, TPTB are famous for over hyping episodes/seasons.

If I were to lay money, and given that someone dies, I would bet Carl. Riggs is 18, apparently in college, and he must make a decision about what to do with his life. Now would be the time for him to go.

I can only pray that the garbage folk are wiped out to the last man and woman.

Alessia2

Alessia2

Lurker

• Members
  • 202 posts
My thoughts have gone very close to tublecane's a long time already. It has been hinted before the seasoneven started (at least I think so, if remembering right) that in this season big things will happen and also losing many important people. Very predictably one would be in mid season finale and other in finale, right? So far we haven't lost so many, that the tiger feels like biggest loss.

I thought when seeing the red-eyed Rick that one of his loved ones would go. I'd have counted in along his family also Daryl at that point, and maybe Morgan, which he has known since the beginning. But after seeing how Rick goes with "we kill, and give no mercy" -way of thinking and Carl being the one showing a lot of Mercy, it feels logical that after Carl dying (maybe while trying/successing to save someone's life, in the attack to Alexandria which likely would happen around mid season finale?) Rick would go to the other way of thinking to honor his memory? Maybe Carl's last words whispered in his dying lips would be "dad, don't kill any more people, please..."

I don't use spoiler tags as I have no knowledge, just pure guessing here. :) After more or less success of battles, it is sure thing Negan's group will hit next back, of course Alexandria as it is Rick's home, and to me it feels logical to place this in mid season finale so they get things exciting and maybe a little cliffhanger over holidays, and to get on next year with new situation?

I also think that Carl would be great candidate to die as he has school to go soon, he is getting too old for his child role plus that would definitely surprise people as he is so main character nobody expect him to go.

But is it a wise move, we'll see that if it happens. Watchers went crazy after poor Glenn, and even still Carl isn't my favourite, he has lots of fans. And killing off the future of the new human population feels bad... But they got another kid (Gracie) to fill the spot.

I think if it happens (and I believe it does, after thinking it a bit more) it will be a big move in the show.

Not saying it couldn't be someone else. Michonne may die as she and Rick had that talk "if one goes, another will still continue on", which made me think she might go. But it was just a close by situation for her in the finale, so I think it's not her yet again.

I worry for Daryl and Carol, but hope both would still stay. Very likely Morgan dies in finale as he goes to the Fear. (I don't get why couldn't he do both?) I want Tara to stay too, but I believe so far they keep Rosita until later need (I think they will use her comic story, but it is just my guess.) so that puts Tara in big danger.

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members
  • 356 posts

A bit predictable, but the season went with Rick's group having the upper hand for too long, and there is still 8 episodes to go. And they will want to make us think the war is lost before a last minute victory from Rick's group. So i assume the saviors will do a lot of stuff off-screen to get the upper hand in a drastic way near the end of the episode.

Considering Rick's group destroyed Negan's outposts, i assume the saviors will destroy one or two communities, release the Hilltop prisoners, make hostages of their own, most likely the king or the widow, but maybe Rick himself, get back the loyalty of the garbage people, and make use of some weapon or vehicle that we don't know they had, like a tank or an helicopter. They might make a staged execution or a well known character, but i don't see them playing the same card again. They could also identifies their spies. Somehow, Gregory will find a way to save his sorry skin, for more funny dialogs.

I hope Daryl or Rosita bite the dust before the season ends.

Edited by naossano, 04 December 2017 - 08:32 PM.

Jgreenwood

Jgreenwood

Roamer

• Members
  • 453 posts

The death of Morgan.

etphoto

etphoto

Biter

• Members
  • 917 posts
Sadly, it won't be Negan. This battle is getting too long. If I had to predict a character I say Carl.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Aolain

Aolain

Lurker

• Members
  • 441 posts

This is NOT a prediction, but something that came to mind because of the helicopter scene (given it represents a military helicopter).

For those who have read "Lord of the Flies," you know that the school boys engaged in a brutal battle at the end. This battle led them to be in the process of making the island uninhabitable. The group was destroying everything around them, and even if the "good" group was wiped out, the "bad" group would surely die.

The only thing that saved them was the arrival of a Royal Navy combat ship, and the "war" immediately ended.

Now, and I know that the writers of TWD are wedded to the comic book story line, but this war between Rick & Negan strikes me as the Lord of the Flies scenario.

What if, as the two groups massacre each other, an organized force of the US military comes on the scene immediately putting an end to the fratricidal conflict?

Of course, that would sink the premise of the show, but it certainly would be a game changer for the plot line.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationOttawa

This is NOT a prediction, but something that came to mind because of the helicopter scene (given it represents a military helicopter).

For those who have read "Lord of the Flies," you know that the school boys engaged in a brutal battle at the end. This battle led them to be in the process of making the island uninhabitable. The group was destroying everything around them, and even if the "good" group was wiped out, the "bad" group would surely die.

The only thing that saved them was the arrival of a Royal Navy combat ship, and the "war" immediately ended.

Now, and I know that the writers of TWD are wedded to the comic book story line, but this war between Rick & Negan strikes me as the Lord of the Flies scenario.

What if, as the two groups massacre each other, an organized force of the US military comes on the scene immediately putting an end to the fratricidal conflict?

Of course, that would sink the premise of the show, but it certainly would be a game changer for the plot line.

I actually love that idea. 

It wouldn't sink the premise of the show at all. In the Walking Dead version of Lord of the Flies, the Royal Navy ship sinks and the kids all get stranded again, this time having learned a bit and having their original roles all shaken up. 

It would be the only scenario where I see Negan living- and external force deciding. I HATE the possibility of Negan being shown mercy by Rick, if that's the plan.

fishorcutbait

fishorcutbait

Infected

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Texas

Some ZA novels have started adding a new type of undead into the mix.

Called runners by some and by runner they mean FAST.

The latest has them just a step up (down?) from human with super skills like opening doors and jumping high enuf to snag a copter as it rises.

Not interested in consuming living flesh but turning everyone they come across (mainly by scratching) their victims turn almost immediately...becoming runners as well.

Maybe something like that would drag a bit of life ;-) back into the show.

Would make a hella cliffhanger ....

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 1,995 posts

The latest has them just a step up (down?) from human with super skills like opening doors and jumping high enuf to snag a copter as it rises.

Not interested in consuming living flesh but turning everyone they come across (mainly by scratching) their victims turn almost immediately...becoming runners as well.

Maybe something like that would drag a bit of life ;-) back into the show.

Would make a hella cliffhanger ....

Interesting. Perhaps they should skip the Whisperers altogether and instead have an arc of whatever it is that creates walkers mutates or evolves that makes them a threat again. Would be more interesting I think. They could be faster. Maybe more intelligent, they can communicate with one another, or something as simple as they aren't as easily distracted as they know that fire or certain sounds isn't food.

Edited by kombat, 07 December 2017 - 04:02 PM.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationOttawa

If the walkers are too big a threat the original intent of the show might be compromised (of course, it already has been so whatever).

I like a show that's really about breaking us down to our base animal nature and examining who we are at that point. How we try to maintain our humanity, or how we give up and choose the new world in all its despair. That would be harder to achieve if every breathing moment was about surviving super zombies. 

I'd stop watching because zombies just aren't why I ever watched this show to begin with. 

On the other hand, I'm also opposed to super villains, magical tigers, garbage people, and Utopian Kingdoms- but I still watch. If they can keep the character work then I'm open to any change that leads to better writing. 

Alessia2

Alessia2

Lurker

• Members
  • 202 posts

Interesting. Perhaps they should skip the Whisperers altogether and instead have an arc of whatever it is that creates walkers mutates or evolves that makes them a threat again. Would be more interesting I think. They could be faster. Maybe more intelligent, they can communicate with one another, or something as simple as they aren't as easily distracted as they know that fire or certain sounds isn't food.

I have been rather thinking the amount of walkers would decrease, as they are slowly rotting down by time and soon there is nothing left of them. And when there would be just few left around, and the newly died ones turning, it wouldn´t be difficult to handle anymore as they´re just a few and maybe more easily controllable inside the communities, like locking the doors for nights etc. I´ve been thinking maybe the series would go to the new round with less zombies and concentrate more on humans in future.

Mutant zombies would be a big turn off for me probably, specially if it would be more like a super power for them, making them more capable... That just doesn´t make any sense, to me way less actually than garbabe people or pet tigers.There actually are people in the world that live in garbages (unfortunately so) though they aren´t like Jadis at all. And there are real excisting pet tigers, too, even still they shouldn´t be kept as pets, if I could choose. Compared to a super runner and jumper and door opening zombies I would feel an shakespearean style actor with a pet tiger way more realistic thing to excist. ;)  

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,281 posts
  • LocationOhio
I don't like the idea of fast zombies only because the world would be overran in under a yr I figure.

I mean ships and few islands may be safe. However if we are doing walking dead you die and you turn. Everywhere would be a danger zone.

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members
  • 356 posts

The zombie aren't supposed to be that huge threat after a while, except when you are starving, injuried, when it is a megaherd, or when you are sleeping with your partner and he\she got an aneuvrism during the night.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 1,995 posts

I have been rather thinking the amount of walkers would decrease, as they are slowly rotting down by time and soon there is nothing left of them. And when there would be just few left around, and the newly died ones turning, it wouldn´t be difficult to handle anymore as they´re just a few and maybe more easily controllable inside the communities, like locking the doors for nights etc. I´ve been thinking maybe the series would go to the new round with less zombies and concentrate more on humans in future.

Areas that get cold winters would probably survive better than our Georgia companions did. At the very least, they should freeze and make it easy to kill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!