Photo

The Walking Dead, Season 8, Episode 7 - Time For After - Review

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your opinion of this episode? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your opinion of this episode?

1. Excellent - Just what I love about this show (1 votes [2.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

2. Good - Really liked it but wanted a few things done differently (7 votes [20.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.59%

3. Fair - Not what I expected (21 votes [61.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.76%

4. Poor - I was ready to gouge my eyes out (5 votes [14.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • 3,931 posts
  • LocationThe Tardis

Negan has to enlist the help of his lieutenants in solving a huge issue facing the Sanctuary; Rick and the group continue to enact the plan.

etphoto

etphoto

Biter

• Members
  • 917 posts

I voted fair. It was bad but nothing exciting really.  I would imagine a lot of fans here will bitch about the garbage people and now (once again) they are on the good guys side.

I know a lot of people hate the Eugene character but I like him.  He is kind of stuck and can't really blame him for the moves he makes.

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • 1,279 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln

Jadis:

- Middle-Aged

- Incredibly horny

- Lives in a junkyard

- Likes to sculpt

- Flip flops alliances for NO reason.

Lol what a bizarre character.

Aolain

Aolain

Lurker

• Members
  • 441 posts
Jadis seems to have a real desire to get to know Rick's long barrel Python.

Edited by Aolain, 04 December 2017 - 04:06 AM.

headshot

headshot

Infected

• Members
  • 22 posts

Jesus Christ these writers can drag a toilet scene for 2  seasons i reckon.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • 2,475 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

I voted 'fair.'   The show is just going through same motions over and over. The  Daryl/ Tara plan to flood the Sanctuary with walkers was just the obligatory 'monkey wrench in Rick's master plan' that always has to happen.

I didn't understand the discussion about bullets with Negan and Eugene.  Did he make several thousands rounds of ammo in less than an hour? 

Or was the plan to deplete their existing ammo supply and have Eugene make more? 

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself.

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members
  • 356 posts

- So, another episode to remind us that any plot with garbage people will only smell like shit. Rotten decaying shit.

- Yeah, that deserve much bullet points, but don't want to waste energy on those garbage folks.

- Just a mandatory reminder that Rick could have gone to see the river women. Not awesome characters, but at least they want the saviors dead. And they can carry guns. And they use full sentences. And they didn't betrayed Rick yet.

- Yet another plot in which a couple of poorly written bored characters want to make themselves usefull in delaying the resolution by screwing their own team with some poorly coordinated plan.

- Yeah, the good guys kill more innocents than the bad guys.

- Eugene being Eugene. I assume i would be on board with the guy, but i would need subtitles to get what he was saying. As much as i like the guy position, i doubt it will ultimately pay off.

- Apparently, Gabriel is suffering of .... something... that would conveniently put him on a bed... and that's it.

- A wasted opportunity to feature Gavin and Simon.

- Seem they are setting up Negan to get the upper hand before the holiday break. Maybe a few gun fights and a couple of dead redshirt. But we all know who have the thickest plot armor.

- Did something else happened ?

Edited by naossano, 04 December 2017 - 05:37 AM.

tublecane

tublecane

Biter

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
I'm glad the bullet-making idea is actually going to pay off, but is it plausible that Eugene can make enough ammo for the Savior pushback that's coming next episode? If ammo concerns were all that was keeping them locked up in the Sanctuary, that's actually a pretty stupid storyline.

Eugene and Dwight have a lot more inherent drama than most other characters, but this felt like rehash. Nothing new happened.

Rosita finally got out of her rut, but did anyone else think that was forced character development? She didn't learn her lesson from getting Eugene kidnapped and Olivia shot, but did from participating in the raid that got Sasha killed. Okay. But why did she have to assert her change of attitude right outside of the Sanctuary? Couldn't she have just stayed in Alexandria?

Having Michonne and Rosita need to physically see the herd just so we could have a dramatic clash between Daryl/Tara/Morgan and Michonne/Rosita beside the truck moments before Daryl's ill-fated plan went into motion, was cheap. Not to mention the time-filling, useless action scene at the warehouse.

I thought they had something better in store for Morgan. Like, he would show up out of nowhere and just go berserk on everyone in sight. Or at least save Jesus when the Hilltop prisoners inevitably cause trouble. That could still happen, admittedly.

Damn the Filthy Garbage People to hell.

tublecane

tublecane

Biter

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
We all knew Daryl's commando mission would fail, but I didn't think the reason would be so thin. The Saviors could have destroyed the herd at any time, despite the snipers, apparently. Apparently, they didn't because of ammo. Eugene saved them by asserting his ability to make more ammo. That's how we're supposed to interpret it, right?

Well, Eugene could've come up with that at any point. So all Daryl did, basically, was put a gun to Eugene's head and motivate him. That's it. Daryl's plan was stupid because he didn't foresee it would cause Eugene to step up. Pfft.

Unless we're supposed to believe it was impossible for the Saviors to shoot their way out before the zombies were inside, and weren't willing to purposefully bring them inside for such purposes. It required the Allies making the choice for them? That's thin.

The whole Sanctuary Under Siege storyline was poorly thought-out. Before this season, I figured the Allies would foment a slave uprising at Sanctuary, but that didn't happen. Wright's constrained from talking to them, and for no reason whatsoever seems to truly believe only Negan has to die. But the plan they set up puts the population of the Sanctuary in extreme danger whether or not Negan dies. And if he doesn't, what then?

Basically, the supposedly innocent non-Savior people are Savior hostages, restricting the Allies' plans. But at the same time, they're deliberately putting them in harm's way, and they don't really have a choice based on the time-table and their inability to bring them into the Alliance.

But we didn't really get to explore the morality of the situation, because there's this unrealistic Allied plan whereby the Savior lieutenants turn on Negan, and the war is somehow over. Meanwhile, they put the innocents in extreme danger while being unwilling to put them in slightly more danger. It's muddled.

Daryl should've realized one fatal flaw on his plan. He should have a good number of fighters outside the Sanctuary in case Saviors fight their way out after his truck stunt. Because why not? He didn't know they couldn't fight their way out of certain doom, Guv-style.

tublecane

tublecane

Biter

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
One little thing that bothers me: handshaking is not a sign of respect. It's a part of basic courtesy, and can be done with perfect strangers or people you don't respect whatsoever.

Basically, it just means you don't have a weapon on your hand, because you can't shake and hold a weapon at the same time. Which means you don't intend the other person immediately harm. You're being polite instead . That's it.

Negan talks a lot of obvious B.S. I'm still waiting to see how he's so good at this Apocalypse Warlord stuff, despite spotting talent in Eugene. After nearly two seasons of "Negan" (the character and the mysterious force known only by name), we mostly have to take his greatness as given. It would nice to see it.

tublecane

tublecane

Biter

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
By the way, Rosita's body (or a certain part of her body) looks different, which I assume means she was pregnant. Same thing with Tara, who looks different from when we met her (though she was always busty). And not in the usual apocalypse way, which would have them getting thinner, harder, and more haggard.

I know such things are inevitable, unless shows put non-pregnancy clauses in contracts. Which shouldn't happen. Make all the babies you want, actresses.

It just takes me out of the reality of the show, is all. Like certain other characters never losing weight.

Koda

Koda

Infected

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNJ USA

I voted fair. I really wasn't thrilled with the fluff and how dragged out things seemed either. I get Eugene's personal battle with morality but I'm also (like others) fed up with Jadis and her people's bs. Daryl's plan is -I believe- what gave the saviors an "out" from the Sanctuary. I am wondering what Eugene drinking himself sick was all about; did he take the same pills he gave Sasha? Or was it just desperation? Will he be brought to his shop to make more bullets while the saviors go to Alexandria? I am also seriously curious about father Gabriel....he wanted his death to have purpose. I wonder if it "might" be that Dr. Carson figures out a "cure" or that Gabriel survives and thus carries the "cure" within him. That would be kinda neat imo; to be possibly able to make a vaccine from his antibodies to "several" different infections from the zombies. It doesn't seem as if he was bitten and I am not sure why he would get sick this time from being covered in guts when it has never happened to anyone any other time the trick was used.

Frankly alot of the story line seems like a random waste of time. I'm curious to see what next weeks mid season finale brings in regard to what was hinted at as being "shocking". I wonder if Saddiq will question his wisdom in following Carl home to Alexandria when the shit hits the fan with Negan....although in that world, having to fight to survive shouldn't be anything new. esp having to fight to keep a place with walls and some semblance of normal. I wonder if Seaside fighters might show up....but they were not left with any weapons to use, so why would they bother?

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • 2,475 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

The Saviors could have destroyed the herd at any time, despite the snipers, apparently. Apparently, they didn't because of ammo. Eugene saved them by asserting his ability to make more ammo. That's how we're supposed to interpret it, right?

Yes I think that's how we are meant to interpret it, and it makes no sense really. 

If the place is overrun with walkers, and they have enough ammo to destroy those walkers, then they really have no other choice. They are going to use their ammo to get rid of those walkers or they are going to die. 

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself.

etphoto

etphoto

Biter

• Members
  • 917 posts

I fear not, but, are we going to see Negan finally killed in mid-season finality or we going to have to put up with this crap another half a season?

ssnider75

ssnider75

Lurker

• Members
  • 215 posts

I voted fair.

I was just happy that they acknowledged the rocket launcher was out of ammo. I have been so tired of them just ignoring things that are obvious basically everyone and it was nice for once to have them say something.

I am at the point where I would be fine with any main character dying. With Glenn and Abraham dead, there is no one else I would care if they died. These characters are getting insufferable.

I enjoyed the Daryl plan and even though you pretty much knew it would not work, it was nice for someone actually do something.

The worst part was Rick's "plan". It seems like he this was his plan the entire time. He walked in there, got locked up, waited some amount of time, then was led to be killed and happened fight his way out with his hands tied and more or less naked. Good plan...

It is getting old where Rick has this cocky swagger when no one would be that way in those circumstances. Even with the way things played out, the rest of the garbage people could have easily shot him before he pushed her faced into the zombie.

I am really hoping they betray Rick for like the 5 millionth time. It would be comical.

Partyof5

Partyof5

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 106 posts

Poor.  I'm tired of the stupidity in the story and random changes in characters. Rosita is the latest one to suddenly go from one extreme to the other.  

They could have gotten to the same end by simply having Eugene's ipod plane work without Dwight shooting it down.  Another wasted scene where a character acts like an idiot.  In that case it was Dwight.  He could have grabbed the remote or the plane and smashed it before Eugene decided to use it.  

Daryl is an idiot now.  So that was the entire brilliant plan?  Let walkers loose in a multi-level building where the Saviors can easily retreat back to safety?  Not that they are inside, the Saviors suddenly are able to handle the hoard and escape?  Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Speaking of dumb: Garbage people. Why would they turn and leave the minute they realize Rick's plan has already gone south?  Now are suddenly going to be loyal?  Because Jadis has a crush on Rick? 

I'm so glad the mid-season finale is next week.  I need a break from this show.  I may not come back, depending on what happens next week, and a stupid cliffhanger is not what it's going to take to bring me back.  This isn't even the same show I remember.  This is like some spoof parody of it.  

omegaman

omegaman

Lurker

• Members
  • 419 posts

I'm glad the bullet-making idea is actually going to pay off, but is it plausible that Eugene can make enough ammo for the Savior pushback that's coming next episode? If ammo concerns were all that was keeping them locked up in the Sanctuary, that's actually a pretty stupid storyline.

I rated the show excellent as I really enjoyed it but I did comment on this to my wife. I was like "duh" this is the big idea they needed Eugene to figure out? Shooting your way out should have been the obvious plan unless someone could some up with a better idea.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • 2,475 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

I fear not, but, are we going to see Negan finally killed in mid-season finality or we going to have to put up with this crap another half a season?

I don't expect Negan to be killed, but I do expect this war to drag out until the end of the season, sadly. If I'm wrong, then great.

Jgreenwood

Jgreenwood

Roamer

• Members
  • 453 posts

Not even sure where to begin. This episode was such a mess. Feel bad for the actors being stuck on this sinking ship.

daenerys

daenerys

Roamer

• Members
  • 675 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

I kept waiting for this episode to kick into gear, but it never really did.  The best thing about the episode was Eugene, imo. It seems he is much more Negan than I thought. He obviously trusts Negan to keep him safe over Rick, which will be interesting when Rick eventually triumphs - as we know he will.  

I didn't enjoy Jadis, although Rick taking her and her guys down was ok if I little predictable.  I just feel like the whole story line is a bit useless.  This war is between Rick and Negan and they have had one episode together all season.  I want to see some skirmishes between them like in the comics.  At the moment Negan has been locked in the Santuary all season, which is ridiculous.  I am very worried the MSF might entail (Comic book spoiler) 

Spoiler
.  I don't even feel like we have really entered the war because the two biggest players have not interacted.

I didn't like Daryl crashing the truck into the Santuary.  Although his character has been shown to have grown darker after his time with Negan, this just seems pretty random.  Having Tara along for the ride seems somewhat odd too.  The only believable person in the trio is Morgan, who does have the inclination to flip his lid on occasion!  

And on a side note, does anyone else have trouble following what Eugene is saying? I know he uses big words and abbreviations, but he also mumbles and runs his words together!  I found myself having to concentrate so hard to understand him.  He almost needs subtitles!  

So yeah, I hope the MSF is better.  Meh.

limaro

limaro

Biter

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationOhio, US

I know I'm probably fooling myself, but I still have hope that Eugene is playing a reeeaalllyyy long con on Negan.  I want him to turn this around and still be Team Rick.  They are giving me just enough hope to keep holding on, cause I enjoy Eugene and his crazy sciency rambles and schemes.  He didn't rat out Dwight.  And that bullet thing?  I'm hoping he was conning Negan into using up all their ammo on the walkers, and he doesn't really plan to make more.  And being that brave admittedly goes completely against his nature and he's terrified and that's what's stressing him out and causing him to drink til he pukes.  Probably just wishful thinking on my part.  

Eugene was the only thing I did enjoy last night.

The rest of the show kinda bored me.  Or worse annoyed me.  It's dragging out too long and plot is stretched too thin.

“That wasn't any act of God. That was an act of pure human fuckery.”
― Stephen King, The Stand

Bug

Bug

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Moderators
  • 5,098 posts

As much as I hate to pile on I only voted this episode fair.  Wasn’t Dwight too much like Rick including the way he gave his speech to Eugene?  Seriously, I could almost close my eyes and see him standing there lecturing/preaching instead of Dwight. 

I truly can’t understand how anyone could believe the garbage people are salvageable and can be trusted.   

Edit:  I want Eugene to be a good guy too. 

Edited by Bug, 04 December 2017 - 11:04 PM.
Adding to post.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • 2,475 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

I know I'm probably fooling myself, but I still have hope that Eugene is playing a reeeaalllyyy long con on Negan.  I want him to turn this around and still be Team Rick.  They are giving me just enough hope to keep holding on, cause I enjoy Eugene and his crazy sciency rambles and schemes.  He didn't rat out Dwight.  And that bullet thing?  I'm hoping he was conning Negan into using up all their ammo on the walkers, and he doesn't really plan to make more.  And being that brave admittedly goes completely against his nature and he's terrified and that's what's stressing him out and causing him to drink til he pukes.  Probably just wishful thinking on my part.  

Eugene was the only thing I did enjoy last night.

The rest of the show kinda bored me.  Or worse annoyed me.  It's dragging out too long and plot is stretched too thin.

Eugene just wants to be on the winning side or rather, doesn't want to be on the losing side and I don't think it amounts to anything more than that.  He's loyal to neither Rick nor Negan because at this point he isn't sure who is going to come out on top. 

He's looking out for himself, above all else. 

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Loved Eugene's scenes, because as much as I want him to have a triumph of conscience it should be really hard for him because he's such a coward. That's working well, and I like that it's eating him up inside.

Not sure why Gabe's so sick, but I can presume it's from the fight to get inside and I can accept that.

As noted last episode: Rick being at the dump, the people who inhabit the dump, trusting the people of the dump, needing the people of the dump- all of that is inane and utterly unacceptable. The whole thing is appalling and nearly had me deciding not to bother watching this episode.

If you want to work with questionable people, work with Oceanside. Go talk to them again. Risky, since they'll want to kill you- but they would make willing allies and trustworthy allies once the talks happened. Although since Rick also says he doesn't need help, one wonders why he says he needs help.

I'm not so upset that Daryl's bad plan happened. Sure the shows internal story will tell us that Daryl screwed up Rick's good plan, but we all know Rick's plan was stupid. Daryl's was better than Rick's. Waiting and sniping makes more sense, but I have to take Daryl's plan over Rick's. Rick deserves blame for Daryl's action. If I told one of you I was going to the dump to get help- wait for me. Would you wait for me? Of course not. You're not stupid. Neither was Daryl. Or at least- not as stupid.

Take out the garbage scenes and this episode was decent. The character work with Eugene is about the only character work they're doing lately, so it was nice to see.

Nareen

Nareen

Roamer

• Members
  • 751 posts
  • LocationCanada

I gave this episode a fair, though I hated almost every minute of the Rick and the garbage people. I did enjoy Rick taking out some of them and knocking Jadis down beside the walker head.  She wasn't so zen at that moment!  Presumably Rick would rather have the garbage people tenuously on his side than firmly on Negan's but it really makes no sense. 

I did like Eugene's story, and Dwight's, which are the only good ones at the moment, IMO. I never thought Eugene was conning Negan or doing anything but surviving, and now he's finding that the price of survival in the Sanctuary is pretty steep.  He's talking the talk but his decisions are clearly tormenting him.  I wonder if he will come through at the last moment for his former friends or if he'll stick to his course.  It was interesting that Negan's “wife”, whose name I have forgotten, is not at peace either though she “signed up” for her life.  However, we knew that when she and the other woman tried to get poison from Eugene to kill Negan.  

Obviously Daryl and Tara weren't the only people who felt that something more needed to be done at the Sanctuary and Morgan and the other sentries were on board as well.   Rick knows Daryl and knew how he felt and yet he still went off to dally with the garbage people rather than staying at hand. It seems to me that Daryl's truck and the incursion into the Sanctuary spurred Eugene into a conclusion he would probably have come to eventually: that the Saviors could and should fight their way out.  So whether Daryl screwed up the plan or what happened was inevitable is arguable. 

I don't get why the Saviors could have fought their way out at any time but didn't because they didn't want to deplete their ammunition.  I can see they would be nervous about being practically unarmed with all those hostile communities and possibly insurgent workers around but what good would it do them to save their ammo but die of starvation?  

So finally someone gets sick from the walker guts.  Someone should let Nick on FTWD know about that.  It looks to me like Gabriel is going to die, which is a shame because the character is interesting and the actor is excellent.

I liked Rosita's little story and her character development.  Michonne’s arc seemed contrived:  we were supposed to think that she would go against the master plan for some reason that I didn't get.   Maybe it was to make her a little more interesting and less Rick's yeswoman but to me it seemed lame.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!