Photo

The Walking Dead, Season 8, Episode 4 - Some Guy - Review

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your opinion of tonight's episode? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your opinion of tonight's episode?

1. Excellent - Just what I love about this show (6 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. Good - Really liked it but wanted a few things done differently (21 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Fair - Not what I expected (11 votes [26.19%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.19%

4. Poor - I was ready to gouge my eyes out (4 votes [9.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • 3,905 posts
  • LocationThe Tardis

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

AD VICTORIUM

• Moderators
  • 2,452 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Voted good. I thought they did a good job of focusing on Ezekiel and fleshing him out a little more without turning it into a straight- up bottle episode.   For that I think the show deserves credit. 

When  I saw those hazardous waste barrels, I was concerned that they might establish that as what started the zombie plague (a common zombie movie trope).  I'm glad that they didn't. 

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself.

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln

One of the better episodes of the recent seasons. I've found myself not really enjoying this season so far, but I liked this episode. Grittier and more raw than the past few. 

tublecane

tublecane

Biter

• Members
  • 1,057 posts
Good riddance, Shiva. Almost deserves a "good" just for getting that weight off the show's back.

I'm not going to comment on the tactics and logistics, which didn't make much sense to me. I found the episode entertaining enough without it all making sense. I liked Kang Zeke wanting to go down with the ship. I even didn't mind the four or maybe more times characters were saved last minute.

Nevertheless, I was emotionally uninvolved. I care about Carol, but knew she wasn't going to get hurt. That's about it.

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members
  • 344 posts

Less faces from the kingdom to remember...

cornjob

cornjob

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 161 posts
I’m glad that Shiva is done. The scene had some emotional impact, more than I’d expected, but it needed to be done.

Also digging the smiling Jerry turning into a Polynesian bad-ass.

As for the rest of the episode, it’s always good seeing Carol do her thing. Great acting. I think the King Ezekiel plot thread is going to work a lot better when he’s humanized and shown with some insecurities. Less of a cartoon, and more believable.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

This episode was terrible. I was bored through the whole thing. I gave it a fair only because Shiva died and the Rick/Daryl car chase was actually well executed. Outside of those things, it was atrocious.

And what was with the extremely slow walkers "chasing" Ezekiel and Gunther? You know Otis is up in heaven looking down thinking "Why couldn't the walkers at that school have been that slow?"

Edited by kombat, 13 November 2017 - 01:08 PM.

xpoc454

xpoc454

Infected

• Members
  • 24 posts

Hah, I said the same thing to my wife.  Those were the slowest walkers the show has ever had.  

The episode should have been called '"How to Break Ezekial".  It was pretty obvious he was going to take an emotional hit after all the speeches he has given in two episodes.

I also thought, they got carried away with the amount of bullets they shot in the episode.  Plus, only 3-4 people survived the big gun? Damm, someone needs to train them how to scatter better. :P

mADAM Scorpious

mADAM Scorpious

Biter

• Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • LocationChemical Valley, Canada eh!

Voted good. I thought they did a good job of focusing on Ezekiel and fleshing him out a little more without turning it into a straight- up bottle episode.   For that I think the show deserves credit. 

When  I saw those hazardous waste barrels, I was concerned that they might establish that as what started the zombie plague (a common zombie movie trope).  I'm glad that they didn't. 

i think the hazardous waste bucket were placed there just to provide an explanation to the zombies colouring and mutations.

Madam Scorpious <~<133€
http://nythe-scorpious.blogspot.ca/

Partyof5

Partyof5

Infected

• Members
  • 98 posts

Best episode of the season so far. It had more of a feel from seasons past.  

The part I disliked the most was that only King Zeke, Carol, and Jerry made it back.  I get the point they were making with King Zeke being devastated by the loss of his people, but all but 3 were killed?  That seemed excessive and overly bleak. After seeing just those 3 make it back, you're setting up for the remaining people in the Kingdom to go WTF, no one made it back? Why are we fighting this war again?  

Edited by Partyof5, 13 November 2017 - 04:11 PM.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

Best episode of the season so far. It had more of a feel from seasons past.  

The part I disliked the most was that only King Zeke, Carol, and Jerry made it back.  I get the point they were making with King Zeke being devastated by the loss of his people, but all but 3 were killed?  That seemed excessive and overly bleak. After seeing just those 3 make it back, you're setting up for the remaining people in the Kingdom to go WTF, no one made it back? Why are we fighting this war again?  

That's another critique I had that I forgot to mention, that Zeke, Carol, and Jerry were the only 3 to survive? Ok. 

zack

zack

Roamer

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • LocationThe Other Side

i think the hazardous waste bucket were placed there just to provide an explanation to the zombies colouring and mutations.

That explains the soupy looking walker that Ezekiel noticed in the last episode.

"I don't believe that things happen for the best. I do believe, however, that it is possible to make the best of things that happen."

omegaman

omegaman

Lurker

• Members
  • 414 posts

This episode was terrible. I was bored through the whole thing. I gave it a fair only because Shiva died and the Rick/Daryl car chase was actually well executed. Outside of those things, it was atrocious.

And what was with the extremely slow walkers "chasing" Ezekiel and Gunther? You know Otis is up in heaven looking down thinking "Why couldn't the walkers at that school have been that slow?"

But were they this slow?

2d6QDUp.gif

omegaman

omegaman

Lurker

• Members
  • 414 posts

That seemed excessive and overly bleak. After seeing just those 3 make it back, you're setting up for the remaining people in the Kingdom to go WTF, no one made it back? Why are we fighting this war again?  

Exactly. I think that's the point and what may happen.

Jgreenwood

Jgreenwood

Lurker

• Members
  • 446 posts

I am glad the tiger is gone...but it seemed a little unrealistic that the herd of slow moving shuffling zombies would be able to take it down as easily as they did. A group of 20 full strengthed ALIVE people could pin down a tiger and bite and claw it to death.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

AD VICTORIUM

• Moderators
  • 2,452 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

The gripe about the slow walkers is legit. It's an example of a bigger issue I've had with the show for  a while. Basically, the walkers are whatever the plot calls for. 

In some episodes, they are a massive horde that appears out of nowhere. 

In others, they are nowhere to be seen.  Negan gives an extended monologue in the woods at night and there's not one interruption from walkers. 

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself.

cornjob

cornjob

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 161 posts
It was a lucky thing the dude in the truck cooperated to let Rick jump across, rather than simply running him off the road with his much heavier vehicle.

Zombae

Zombae

Infected

• Members
  • 30 posts

Fair. So super bad-ass Carol wanted to prevent the Saviors from leaving with the guns, but couldn't shoot out the tires? Most of this episode was about wondering if the king was going to be saved at the last minute by Jerry or by Shiva. And how many times have we seen someone crawling on the ground backwards while the walkers approach?

I dread what is going to happen with FTWD now that the hacks from TWD are going to be more in charge of that show. Rated fair instead of poor because of the focus on action, but cliched and poorly plotted action. 

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
  • 9,780 posts

The gripe about the slow walkers is legit. It's an example of a bigger issue I've had with the show for  a while. Basically, the walkers are whatever the plot calls for. 

In some episodes, they are a massive horde that appears out of nowhere. 

In others, they are nowhere to be seen.  Negan gives an extended monologue in the woods at night and there's not one interruption from walkers. 

Of all the episodes of the entire show, this one was the most glaringly obvious. Too many times they'd show the walkers right behind them and the characters would stop to talk without any sense of urgency. That was probably my biggest complaint about this episode.

Otherwise, I did enjoy this episode about King Ezekiel, a character that I've grown to like. Mainly because of Khary Peyton's acting skills. Not every actor could play such a character with the right balance.

omegaman

omegaman

Lurker

• Members
  • 414 posts

Of all the episodes of the entire show, this one was the most glaringly obvious. Too many times they'd show the walkers right behind them and the characters would stop to talk without any sense of urgency. That was probably my biggest complaint about this episode.

Otherwise, I did enjoy this episode about King Ezekiel, a character that I've grown to like. Mainly because of Khary Peyton's acting skills. Not every actor could play such a character with the right balance.

I agree the actor is nailing it. I could listen to him give a speech on anything.

tublecane

tublecane

Biter

• Members
  • 1,057 posts

It was pretty obvious he was going to take an emotional hit after all the speeches he has given in two episodes.

This was the fifth episode in a row with Zeke's annoying speechifying, I think. The last two may have been the silliest, but he has been silly since he was introduced. The show has an annoying habit of requiring multiple episodes to teach characters obvious things we knew about them the second we met them.

DeadOnMyFeet

DeadOnMyFeet

Fighting for Truth, Justice, and the American Movie Classics Way

• Moderators
  • 2,227 posts
  • Location30 mins from Hollywood
Well after this episode I must say I'm getting continuously annoyed by their amateur Battle Tactics.
You don't take a huge group of soldiers out into the open in broad daylight during a war in front of high Towers
without reconning them first. They all got mowed down, what a surprise.
The real surprises is that Carol went along with it.
And I swear I'm starting to be convinced that Melissa McBride has it written into her contract that Carol
has to have at least two or three one woman army episodes per season.

Ok, y'all KNOOOOW i have to have at least one Firearms nitpick so here it is....

These people really need to learn how to switch their guns from automatic to semi-automatic so they can fire bullets one at a time instead of bursts that just do nothing but waste ammo.
I'm assuming the characters don't know better..... although even Carol succumbed to this behavior.
the writers on the other hand probably do, and they just do this because machine guns sound so cool.
Also, after Carol and the bad guys exchange hundreds and hundreds of machine gun rounds she gets a hold of another gun and suddenly decides that they must almost be out of ammo. And how did she know that--was she counting all those hundreds of bullets?? Nice trick Cookie Mum!

Alessia2

Alessia2

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 180 posts

I voted excellent because I simply enjoyed this episode. :) I loved to get a bit closer look to Kingdom, to see Ezekiel step down from his majestic highness to a normal man level, being a human being. I loved to see lots of Carol - capable, clever (if not counted that gun trick DeadOnMyFeet mentioned ;) ), caring, and the best, smiling Carol! <3

I have also loved Jerry since the very beginning and I´m so happy he is still there! :) Sweet, loyal, and fun Jerry. Thanks for not killing him here!

The devastating loss of Kingdom people was so sad to watch though. So far it has been my favourite community among the TWD groups. Full of nice, kind people living that kind of life that I´d love to watch most in the ZA situation, building a new life, planting, keeping up school and just living in peace and harmony. It was heartbreaking to see all those nice people down after gunfire. :( I liked about everyone of them, even still not many were build up characters, but when they had been shown, they were shown in nice way. The king´s sad and lonely arrival back home was so heartbreaking. He blames himself now, and badly. Poor Zeke. Now I hope Carol will comfort him a bit to make him feel better.

Shiva scene in the end was made in touching way and even still I thought she would have taken more walkers down before falling under the walker mass, she did her job well. Again unlike many, I liked Shiva but knew this was coming so I was prepared.

What I have to mention though is that, how can any parent let their kids just be there while a full grown tiger walks past very close... I wouldn´t, how tame tiger ever it would have told to be!

Fair. So super bad-ass Carol wanted to prevent the Saviors from leaving with the guns, but couldn't shoot out the tires?

I was really annoyed that she didn´t shoot their tires first. I am definitely not a fighter and I´d have done that first! Also I´d have shoot from under the car. I don´t know why people in the action scenes never do that. If you peek over the car, someone may hit on your head. If you shoot below, maybe you can shoot bad guys down hitting in their ankles? ;) Then easy to hit on head when they´re laying on the ground. I don´t know how nobody has got this idea in the films or series I´ve seen, LOL.

Of course then we wouldn´t have seen the driving contest scene. ;) I love Daryl and am just happy he didn´t get hurt, but really, that is so unbelievable anyone could hit ground on full speed from falling motorcycle and not to get a scratch - to himself either the bike!

I wasn´t sure if I liked him when the character was first introduced, but in a short time I started to like him a lot. Since he opened about his past, I couldn´t but like him. Khary is a great actor, and so is Melissa. They have this charisma that goes over everything else. I just enjoyed watching them. :)

Well after this episode I must say I'm getting continuously annoyed by their amateur Battle Tactics.
You don't take a huge group of soldiers out into the open in broad daylight during a war in front of high Towers
without reconning them first. They all got mowed down, what a surprise.

I think so too, but I bet it´s because the Kingdom people haven´t used to fight. Maybe it was meant to show they were brave to go but had no tactics at all... But again I think Carol should have known better, being often so wary anyways. 

But despite any of these little flaws, I think what counts most is that if I´m interested to watch and feeling for it, and this episode delivered what I needed most of it; emotion, beloved characters, and leaving me in mood wanting to see more, thinking how they feel, how they´ll react, what they think and all that... Again I´d say, how ever well made perfect series might there be, if it doesn´t leave me feeling and caring for the characters, it has been wasted time to watch it. For me this season has been maybe a favourite after many, so far. :) For me it means most it makes me care, wonder, miss, look forward for the next episode. :)

Plus, isn´t it also quite fun to point out these silly things in the shows. ;) It´s big part of the fun to be able to talk, speculate and even mock these things. I feel a bit sad I found these fan forums so late! Would have been fun to be part of it from the beginning. :)

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • 673 posts
  • LocationChicago area

I voted Good. The show had some glaring weak points, but it's focus was on how The King has to become a human and not a caricature. The whole thing was done in a really  strong way overall.

The heavy weapons doing heavy weapons damage at the outset. No pussy footing around and plot armor, except maybe the King himself only being wounded in the foot.

The King's being a captive was contrived because no matter how much they lay around, talked, or whatever, the Walker's in the background NEVER got close enough as a horde...just in pairs. The dynamic and conversation wasn't bad, but the background threat was non-existent after a bit. You almost HOPED the Walkers would catch up sooner.

Good to see Jerry for the rescue, although the should have just chopped through the chain link fence and worried about closing it somehow afterwards, chain link shreds under axe strikes.

Carol inside being Carol. Of course I thought the ceiling panel hiding was a little bit much. Her taking out the gun crew, etc. was great. Her handling the outside crews was good too, although you'd think the Saviors would not let captives monologue or distract so much.

The Rick/Daryl chase scene was a little too slow and television for me, but it closed out the heavy weapons threat for us.

Shiva's death...well, I'm glad she died (I know, I know) since she was so hokey to begin with. I don't buy that those walkers could have brought her down though. A healthy tiger could easy escape from those characters. I expected more than a sacrifice scene...if they had shown she had taken a heavy weapon bullet it would have been more sympathetic and believable that she was taken down.

But it was also Ezekiel's last mask to be removed. He returned to the Sanctuary without his men, soldier's, without Moms and Dads, without his appearance of perfect health, without his Tiger. He's returning a human being, with faults, who has lead his people to their deaths. What a start to a tremendous character arc!

"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

zack

zack

Roamer

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • LocationThe Other Side

Well now we know what Negan has in store for Rick, Ezekiel and Maggie.  (Saviors calling her the widow reminds me of the character in "Into The Bad Lands".)

Carol has not got Negan's attention yet.  If he finds out how capable and dangerous she is, he may tell his followers to kill on sight. 

"I don't believe that things happen for the best. I do believe, however, that it is possible to make the best of things that happen."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!