Season 8 Ratings

Terrible acting and poor production

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

It's really hard to tell. While working for Gimple, she has to respect Gimple's vision- that's the job. Write the arc he describes. It's hard to know what decisions she would have made- so in that I'm hopeful. 

She may have bought the narrative that they had been selling, in which case there'll be no change, or she may alter course. 

I'm pretty sure the audience in general will not know or care that the show runner is different, but I do think the premier will have a lot of viewers. That premier episode will have to be intelligent and fantastic because the likelihood of drop off is enormous. 

And even then many won't bother to check it out. I hope they work hard on all the mistakes. 

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members

It was said on Talking Dead in the opening there will be a new show runner, for whatever that's worth.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

It was said on Talking Dead in the opening there will be a new show runner, for whatever that's worth.

That's Angela Kang.

She wrote 'A', but she also wrote 'Still'.

Which just shows that a writer has to write the arc they've been directed to write, and even a good writer sometimes is told to write things like 'Still.'

She's been with the show for a very long time, which is why I actually think she might have new ideas that beat Gimple's.

PurpleUnicorn

PurpleUnicorn

Infected

• Members

PurpleUnicorn, I believe they had planned the seasons of All Out War beforehand all together and didn´t use their chance to change it when saw there was something that didn´t work... They should have, though.

I must once again take Grey´s anatomy for an example. There were some horribly uninteresting and (for me) badly made seasons with major characters leaving, super odd and annoying time jumps, concentrating annoying and less interesting characters and situations, and all that way, and I was close to stop watching because it felt like my favourite series was ruined. Still though, I´ve enjoyed really much this recent (14th) season and feel happy I didn´t let it go totally. So it is possible to make things better again. I think with TWD the question is mostly, if they want and will to do that... If they go stubbornly on with the vision they like and not listening at all the watchers, there may not happen as well as with GA.

Alessia2, its interesting that you use Grey's Anatomy as an example. Isn't that a Shonda Rhimes show? I have a big grudge against her for what she did to another once great show, Scandal. Scandal started off epic but she ruined it with her horrible writing. That show just ended, finally, and from what I heard the ending was horrible. I don't watch Grey's so I can't speak on that, but I don't know of any show that's gotten as bad as TWD has, that's been able to turn it around and become great again. Don't get me wrong I would love it if it did, but I don't have much hope that it will.

Alessia2

Alessia2

Lurker

• Members

Alessia2, its interesting that you use Grey's Anatomy as an example. Isn't that a Shonda Rhimes show? I have a big grudge against her for what she did to another once great show, Scandal. Scandal started off epic but she ruined it with her horrible writing. That show just ended, finally, and from what I heard the ending was horrible. I don't watch Grey's so I can't speak on that, but I don't know of any show that's gotten as bad as TWD has, that's been able to turn it around and become great again. Don't get me wrong I would love it if it did, but I don't have much hope that it will.

Yes, it is hers. I don´t know Scandal at all, even still as I googled I found out it´s been aired in Finland too. I haven´t probably been interested in it, as it seems to be political which isn´t that interesting subject for me. Or then just have missed it.

To say shortly, Grey´s Anatomy was super popular, and likely still is at least somewhat, but it tells a lot that couple of years ago it was changed to a side channel from the best watched one it used to be shown... The show is about hospital (I never liked hospital series either, but this one is more about relationships and weird accidents to happen than the others I´ve known) and it was quite entertaining follow the young doctor interns to grow to the work and learn from odd things (there were odd after odder situations they had to fix with surgery, not too realistic show indeed!) and they love and hate each others in turns. Basically, there were couple of surgeries or situations to solve in each episode, plus a lot of mix and match relationships and sometimes a bit longer storyline that went through the season. Very entertaining and easy to watch, many fun and cute characters.

Then time went on, they probably wanted something new (or actors wanted out?) and many loved characters were killed off or sent "away" and replaced by new characters that weren´t as interesting. For me it started really bug when there were really depressing situation, very main characters was killed, traumatic things happened and there was a big time jump. It just lost too much at once. I almost stopped watching then. Now it seems they´re back to the original style; weird cases to solve, relationships and something bigger happening by the season. It works way better, and even still it is like something you have seen before, it is nice in it´s familiar way and at least I enjoy it way more.

For TWD I think the best would be get back to something familiar again; sticking the "family" together again, not separating them. Getting them close and united again. Adding up some new characters to replace the ones we lost, and building them up in a way we start to love and care for them too. Then getting them up to something new to do. I think it is bad idea to stick them in one place for too long, as the travelling around made it interesting. So if they get their community build stronger, it´s time to widen the world, see more new places around, maybe fight some zombies (not to get killed!) and meet new people. Nice people too, not only new enemies! I felt so sad when the cute young couple Rick and Carol met weren´t alive longer. I think they had made a nice add in the crew.    

PurpleUnicorn

PurpleUnicorn

Infected

• Members

For TWD I think the best would be get back to something familiar again; sticking the "family" together again, not separating them. Getting them close and united again. Adding up some new characters to replace the ones we lost, and building them up in a way we start to love and care for them too. Then getting them up to something new to do. I think it is bad idea to stick them in one place for too long, as the travelling around made it interesting. So if they get their community build stronger, it´s time to widen the world, see more new places around, maybe fight some zombies (not to get killed!) and meet new people. Nice people too, not only new enemies! I felt so sad when the cute young couple Rick and Carol met weren´t alive longer. I think they had made a nice add in the crew.    

Alessia2, yeah... I know I sound like a broken record at this point. But so much has happened on the TWD. I feel like they have gone to the point of no return. They've made so many mistakes with the show but the biggest mistake they made was killing Carl.  When I think about the relationship between Rick and Carl, that was the central relationship on the show. When Rick awoke from that coma on the first episode, he had one goal- to find and protect his family. Carl had been by his side the entire show and it made it believable that Rick would keep fighting because he still had his beloved son by his side. Carl was the future. Now Carl is dead. There's no hope left. I just don't buy Rick being motivated to continue. In many ways the journey is over now because Rick had one job, to keep his family safe and he failed miserably. When Shane died he challenged Rick to keep Lori and Carl safe and he couldn't do it. Yeah, I know Rick still has Michonne and Judith but its not the same. TWD took a huge gamble when they killed off Carl. The show can't replace Carl and what he meant to Rick. So to me it doesn't matter what new characters they add or where else they go. Its all pretty pointless now. Oh well, at least I have the first 6 seasons on Netflix to enjoy.

As for Grey's, my sister watches it and its also on Netflix. I could binge watch it, definitely many shows to catch up on. Just finished 7 Seconds on Netflix and it was awesome. The Punisher was really good too, and the best part is the actor who played Shane is the star so I got to see my crush again. And yes, Shane is still so sexy.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members

That's Angela Kang.

She wrote 'A', but she also wrote 'Still'.

Which just shows that a writer has to write the arc they've been directed to write, and even a good writer sometimes is told to write things like 'Still.'

She's been with the show for a very long time, which is why I actually think she might have new ideas that beat Gimple's.

My statement was a response to those saying the general viewing audience isn't going to know there's a new showrunner, so I said they mentioned it on Talking Dead, which still gets decent numbers iteself, so if they were paying attention they'll know there's a new person in charge.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa
That makes more sense Kombat. I thought you'd know that

My statement was a response to those saying the general viewing audience isn't going to know there's a new showrunner, so I said they mentioned it on Talking Dead, which still gets decent numbers iteself, so if they were paying attention they'll know there's a new person in charge.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

Alessia2, yeah... I know I sound like a broken record at this point. But so much has happened on the TWD. I feel like they have gone to the point of no return. They've made so many mistakes with the show but the biggest mistake they made was killing Carl. When I think about the relationship between Rick and Carl, that was the central relationship on the show. When Rick awoke from that coma on the first episode, he had one goal- to find and protect his family. Carl had been by his side the entire show and it made it believable that Rick would keep fighting because he still had his beloved son by his side. Carl was the future. Now Carl is dead. There's no hope left. I just don't buy Rick being motivated to continue. In many ways the journey is over now because Rick had one job, to keep his family safe and he failed miserably. When Shane died he challenged Rick to keep Lori and Carl safe and he couldn't do it. Yeah, I know Rick still has Michonne and Judith but its not the same.

I agree completely that Carl and Rick was the axis of this show, but disagree completely that Judith isn't the same for Rick. Not the same for the audience at all, but definitely just as important to Rick. That's the show's fault for not having more scenes of them together. But for Rick, Judith matters just add much and he'd keep fighting.

Nareen

Nareen

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

I agree completely that Carl and Rick was the axis of this show, but disagree completely that Judith isn't the same for Rick. Not the same for the audience at all, but definitely just as important to Rick. That's the show's fault for not having more scenes of them together. But for Rick, Judith matters just add much and he'd keep fighting.

This

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!