Photo

Fear The Walking Dead 314 ~El Matadero ~ Review

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this episode (14 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your opinion of 314?

1. Excellent (5 votes [35.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

2. Good (4 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. Fair (5 votes [35.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

4. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
  • 9,737 posts
Alicia encounters a potential ally; Ofelia fights for survival; Nick uses his skill set for profit.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,268 posts
  • LocationOhio
Totally called ofelia dying. Hiding the fact troy brought the walkers. Nick on drugs is a set back. Just when the season started to get decent.

Alicia is really the only good thing anymore. Why did they ruin Nicks character? Man.

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • 1,277 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln

Ofelia :( 

Lol at the Troy/Nick high AF adventure. 

Aolain

Aolain

Lurker

• Members
  • 415 posts
Dark.
Bizarre.
Surreal.
Brutal.

As different from TWD as night and day.

A Dance Macarbe.

A vision of a dying society.

Only thing, a pick axe is too heavy to be an effective weapon.

Is Troy gay?

Edited by Aolain, 09 October 2017 - 02:21 AM.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

AD VICTORIUM

• Moderators
  • 2,431 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Ophelia was the hottest chick  on the show as far as I'm concerned so... not cool with seeing her gone  :mad2:

I know Salazaar has a pretty big fan club here but he's starting to get on my last nerve. 

I don't care that he was a badass/ assassin or whatever back in the day.  Here and now he's a feeble old man and I think it's pretty silly for everyone to always be acting so fearful of him like they do. 

When he pointed the gun at Madison and threatened her, I was thinking that if I was in Madison's place, I would have been ready to blow his brains out the minute he made one wrong move. 

Instead, Madison was all like "Salazaar seems a bit unhinged and he'll probably want to kill us if his daughter dies and I'm cool with that." Or that's how it came across. 

The group continually returning to Mos Eisley doesn't make much sense.  There's a lot of bad elements there and taking a trip there always seems to cost them a lot of resources and they don't seem to gain much of anything by going there. 

Those gripes aside, I rated the episode 'good.' 

I liked Nick and Troy's Fear and Loathing in Zompacalypse  drug trip and stuff with them drenched in blood and hanging out with walkers. 

I thought Alicia's story was interesting, though the whole business of the cast going their separate ways only to magically reunite is becoming kind of a habit that I'm not sure is a god idea. 

Edited by Deadpelican, 09 October 2017 - 03:06 AM.

As far as I'm concerned, you're dead. You were perused and slain by this Brotherhood knight, and your remains were incinerated.

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • 1,165 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Strange episode. 

Is it just me, or do you think the actress that plays Ofelia simply wanted off the show after getting pregnant? I don't see why the writers would do a whole thing about Ofelia being gone and then reuniting with everyone only to die shortly after. Seems like something changed mid-way (pregnant) and she decided she wanted out. 

Like, how predictable for her to be bit and die right before being reunited with her dad. I dunno.

The Nick and Troy scenes were interesting. Nick is truly a fucked up junky eh? It'll be interesting to see if Troy pulls him out of whatever dark spiral he's headed in. 

That glance that Madison gave Troy at the end sort of makes me think that there's a mutual understanding between each other that Troy will end up saving Nick. 

Alycia is being written pretty well right now and I like the little friendship she's made with gold selling girl. Will be interesting to see what happens with them. 

Did Strand just go and fuck everything up for Madison and Tanka (weird that after everything it's down to the adults goofing around while the kids are all off on their own goofing around) I'm guessing he told the big bad boss of Mos Eisly about the Dam and that dude is gunna go seize it by force, chaos ensues.. etc. 

Edited by thelastpaul, 09 October 2017 - 07:50 AM.

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."

omegaman

omegaman

Lurker

• Members
  • 400 posts

I'm calling shennanigans on those saying the predicted Ophilla's death. Unless you got a post somewhere you can point to I'm not buyin.

Aolain

Aolain

Lurker

• Members
  • 415 posts

Did Strand just go and fuck everything up for Madison and Tanka (weird that after everything it's down to the adults goofing around while the kids are all off on their own goofing around) I'm guessing he told the big bad boss of Mos Eisly about the Dam and that dude is gunna go seize it by force, chaos ensues.. etc. 

Strand seems to be a loose cannon. But he is like Madison, he only cares about himself. Tanka is an odd duck. His entire group has been wiped out and seems just fine with it.

I would guess that the dam will fall and Team Madison will continue its journey to destroy every vestige of civilization that remains.

I wonder if Alicia will emerge as the center of the series? I was kind of with Nick till he went back on the dope.

ricky311

ricky311

Infected

• Members
  • 78 posts
Voted excellent. Another solid episode.

Alicia keeps getting better and better. Nick and Troy leaving her so fast was a bit surprising, but I think I'd enjoy it better seeing her on her own anyway.

At first I thought Alicia's new friend was one of the girls from the Passage webisodes. I was sad to find out I was wrong, but the character immediately redeemed herself. I hope she gets to stick around, because I like her, even though she feels a little 'comic book character,' sort of like Michonne.

I really wonder what kind of deal Strand would make that would justify for him to sell out on the dam, and Madison especially.

Nick and Troy were hilarious.

Ofelia, meh... I never really cared for her. Her death was handled pretty well, considering her character never really was until this season. We never found out why she didn't continue her out of the blue quest for her fiancée, or did I miss something? Missed opportunities, but I heard the actress got pregnant, so they were basically forced to do this. They couldn't have made her disappear again. So yeah, handled pretty well. An unexpected minor major death.

Double episode next week. I'm all for it. I have been very pleased with this season overall and even have forgiven the wonkey midseason premieres, because they set up all the excellent episodes up to this point. Let's hope they end the season with a bang.

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • 1,277 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln

I'm calling shennanigans on those saying the predicted Ophilla's death. Unless you got a post somewhere you can point to I'm not buyin.

I don't know if spoilers were out there... however I thought her death was pretty predictable. With so much emphasis the past few episodes about getting Ofelia back to her father, it's pretty easy to predict that was not going to happen.

Plus Daniel's been on the edge for awhile. In order for him to break and truly go over the edge, it's pretty easy to think that the thing that would cause him to do that would be Ofelia dying. So, her death has been imminent for awhile IMO. It was going to happen sooner or later. 

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,268 posts
  • LocationOhio

Really? go to the episode 10 review. I straight called it. Third comment in. This show is as obvious as the orignal. It wasn't original at all.

The only thing is I figured it was going to cause huge problems for Madison. Other than that I was on point about her dying. As for spoilers...i don't look them up because I like fear being a bit more shocking.

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • 662 posts
  • LocationChicago area

I voted Good. Again, just ONE TAD shy of excellent.

What kept it from being perfect is the Ofelia bite and death just before reuniting with Dad. We saw similar if not exact versions of this a lot in TWD (Andrea and sister, Merle and Daryl, Maggie and her sister) and it's becoming too obvious in writing for my personal tastes. Not all the above were bites, but all were deaths before or around reunions. It's contrived now.

In every other way the characters remain flawed, dysfunctional and in it for themselves only (but pretending to be group oriented) to the degree I am getting tired of. The problem is, it's the characters personalities being so well written and correct. It's not flawed writing, it's bad people in a flawed environment with Good Writing. I just hate that sort of person and thinking.

Madison is the Queen of all this logic. Last episode she let's Alicia leave (did the environment become safer than when Ofelia was lost out there?). She sees Ofelia is bit, and trades in all resources in an immediate consumption bid to get her a old mattress and some pills. By the way- Love calling that place Mos Eisley. I'm gonna stick with that name. Did it cross anyone's mind that even if they gain entry, the minute she's discovered they aren't going to care what Madison's reasoning is or about Daniel? Strand is right about her, she traded the future for a comfort Ofelia can't necessarily feel. I'm not saying put her down, but be reasonable and compromise, save resources you'll need later and find a way to maximize your borrowed time with her.

Madison left an addict son with pain killers. I know we've seen Nick at his best a few times, but he remains also a fundamentally flawed person, and that was a temptation she was...what? Too tired to realize? Wasn't thinking? She knew what happened the minute she saw it, and locked down into the old Madison with Nick when she saw him. She's right about all of that, but she'd better blame herself in part, and I bet she won't. She screwed that up as bad as giving Mos Eisley her weapons.

Nick was again a well written, well figured out character remaining true to who he is. All the way through. His line to Madison about Troy being at the bar, freaked out by all the Mexicans was hilarious and an awesome line. It's too bad he found the pills right afterwards.

What surprised me (and shouldn't have) was how grounded Troy was compared to addict Nick. He didn't want to pop a pill or drink, he knows where he came from and who he can become. He was actually sensible but fell for the environment and pressure from Nick as a...friend? Nick became that kind of addict, the 'I saved your life, you owe me so take this' kind. Troy knew better but did it. Again, super flawed characters. Give a racist pills and alcohol while surrounded by other races in a violent atmosphere. If Troy had any less sense Madison would have found them turned and tied to the fence the next morning! I shouldn't have been surprised but I was. I have forgotten that Troy does have survivalist skills, he just uses them poorly when he is out playing God. In a bad place, they make him more reasonable.

The smear a warpaint of dead on you and you're invisible thing is too silly now. Okay- maybe it can mask you, but running, talking, and hugging effects movements of a herd too. Alexandria proved that at the expense of Jesse (argh-I hated her passing) and her sons. It gets less believable every time because of use.

Alicia's scenes were, for the most part, really well done. She was great with Nick and Troy, good about scavenging in the fast food place (not sure how good potato salad is at summertime in that heat roof temperatures...but I presume they'd cut THOSE scenes if I'm right)! She hasn't learned to block the door behind her, but the kids play area refuge was a fun neat little idea. I would personally have stayed high and out of sight, the herd has no reason to know I'm there. They're in motion, not attacking. The ball pit was a good vantage point to shoot or hide, the Jaws like kid thing was a bit over the top for me. Also another gripe on my part (there aren't a lot of criticisms about the episode writing or development honestly). When did walkers take more of an interest in dragging you under the ball pit and trying to strangle you to death? It's a feral activity that is bite based. I know Alicia's chance are worse that way, but ball pit chick should have been chomping, not playing Halloween the Movie IMHO.

Pick axe girl is a fun addition, I hope we get a lot more of her. We see actions we question which throughout the course of being with her become sensible and understandable. I like that alot, as well as the detente developing into a partnership between her and Alicia. This has legs and can go somewhere, PLEASE let it!

Some of the kills we're seeing imply any head trauma does them in, including small knives under the chin. It has to be a brain hit. They might be getting a little too quick in pace to remember that. Just a thought, but it's too early to tell.

In the end, Ofelia passes (she was a great character and I'm going to miss her), Daniel mourns IN CHARACTER again! and finally, the Madison/ Daniel about Ofelia talk. Daniel shut down when Madison said Ofelia said she loved him. He knows BS when he hears it, her expanding onto Ofelia wanting to get to know him mattered. In fact, it was true and he saw it, it was real. It is the reason he asked her to come back with him, and allowed the others to join. She'd still be in Mos Eisley without the truth, IMHO. The actor playing Daniel NAILED the Ofelia death moment in such a wonderful way. It was great, it really was.

and Strand. Finally Strand. I'm betting he sold out the Dam (bye bye) because of the dysfunction of Madison. Everything about his actions showed it.

These people are not leaders, they are selfish in-it-for-themselves. In the end, Madison showed that even in regards to Alicia and Nick. It's as if the only leaders in TWD at the Quarry were Merle and Daryl in their original mindsets. Without a strong leader type, this is going to be what we see for the series. They haven't become good leaders or even good people. I don't see it ever happening at this point. They are pretty much the mindset of the Boys from Philly or the other random groups Rick encountered.

I'm am assuming we're still in the first few months of the ZA. if we were to sync timelines I'm guessing Rick and Shane and crew are at the Quarry still, or maybe at the farm or almost there. The differences in the groups at even this earliest stage is obvious and, in many ways, painful.

People have talked about a crossover (I don't ever see it happening, BTW). I hope it doesn't. I'm guessing Rick would have them move on or kill them if they became difficult. They aren't his kind of survivors.

As always, just IMHO. 

Edited by Stan, 10 October 2017 - 03:34 PM.

"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

omegaman

omegaman

Lurker

• Members
  • 400 posts

Really? go to the episode 10 review. I straight called it. Third comment in. This show is as obvious as the orignal. It wasn't original at all.

The only thing is I figured it was going to cause huge problems for Madison. Other than that I was on point about her dying. As for spoilers...i don't look them up because I like fear being a bit more shocking.

Right on then I stand corrected and am happy to retract.

omegaman

omegaman

Lurker

• Members
  • 400 posts

In the end, Ofelia passes (she was a great character and I'm going to miss her), Daniel mourns IN CHARACTER again! and finally, the Madison/ Daniel about Ofelia talk. Daniel shut down when Madison said Ofelia said she loved him. He knows BS when he hears it, her expanding onto Ofelia wanting to get to know him mattered. In fact, it was true and he saw it, it was real. It is the reason he asked her to come back with him, and allowed the others to join. She'd still be in Mos Eisley without the truth, IMHO. The actor playing Daniel NAILED the Ofelia death moment in such a wonderful way. It was great, it really was.

It was great seeing the actor who plays Daniel on Talking Dead discussing that scene. He said they filmed it with him reacting in different ways. I would love to see the out takes and see how else he played it. He nailed it I agree and the film editors picked the right one to show.

ricky311

ricky311

Infected

• Members
  • 78 posts

Some of the kills we're seeing imply any head trauma does them in, including small knives under the chin. It has to be a brain hit. They might be getting a little too quick in pace to remember that. Just a thought, but it's too early to tell.

It has been said by Kirkman (I thought) that they really regret doing the CDC episodes in TWD season 1, where they explain that the brain stem needs to be destroyed in order to kill the zombie. Showrunners/directors on either show seem to not give a fork anymore, because in the later seasons of TWD a strike to the head with Morgan's stick kills a zombie.

People have talked about a crossover (I don't ever see it happening, BTW). I hope it doesn't. I'm guessing Rick would have them move on or kill them if they became difficult. They aren't his kind of survivors.

Whattaya know... A crossover has just been confirmed by Kirkman himself.

Edited by ricky311, 10 October 2017 - 06:17 PM.

Nareen

Nareen

Roamer

• Members
  • 722 posts
  • LocationCanada

Finally had time to watch this episode and I liked it.

In This Land is Your Land I had briefly thought that Ofelia was bitten in the air duct but dismissed the notion when there was nothing said about it afterwards.   I'm sorry to see Ofelia go; she was one of the few characters that I find likeable.  I found her death and her father’s reaction surprisingly moving. Ruben Blades was great.  IMO it would have been just as much a cliché to have Ofelia survive long enough to have a heartfelt goodbye with her father.

It seemed to me that Madison finally recognized that she can no longer control/protect her kids when she accepted that Alicia wouldn’t come back and let Nick stay at the trading post without argument.  This is a slightly different Madison though she may revert as she has before.

Nick, Nick, Nick – stealing a dying woman’s medication.  I know that is what addicts do but I can't help but despise it.  Nick and Troy, drugs and Mexicans and the dead, all cooped up together.  What could go wrong?

Last season I really hated the notion that by smearing a little zombie blood on your face and chest you could march around, in groups no less, talk, argue and whatever without attracting the attention of the dead.  I was happy that it had been dropped this season but there it was again.  If it actually worked in that way, very few people would still be dying.  They could have saved everyone at the ranch!

I am enjoying Alicia’s story as this high achiever in the old world adapts to the new.  Though she was careless about dead guy in the restaurant, she didn’t panic and is obviously confident in her new skills.   She thought quickly about how to best deal with the approaching dead, though I might have seen if I could secure the door and then hidden out of sight.  We all expected that there would be something in the ball pit beyond the usual horde of germs because  - drama -  but why should Alicia have done?

Diana is an interesting character and I hope she’s around for a while.  I still don’t get why gold still has any value, though I suppose currency is still needed in places like the trading post.

Has Victor finally sold his companions out?   I didn’t get what he was doing skulking around in the brothel and wasn’t sure if he was looking to make a deal or did it to save himself. 

Daniel has done and seen things that most of us only envision in nightmares.  He may be old and somewhat crazy but he has a whole level of experience, training and toughness beyond any of the other characters and most of us.  I was glad that he and Madison were reconciled and am interested to see where both characters go on from here.

I agree that aside from Alicia, who is mostly innocent, these are not and never were good people.  It makes the series interesting but chilly.  On TWD most of the group are fundamentally good if flawed people and that makes them easier to relate to and care about.  It's hard to care too much about Madison and her group.  

bully8

bully8

Infected

• Members
  • 94 posts

Nick, you know you have hit rock bottom when Troy is trying to talk you out of bad behavior.  I actually felt sorry for Troy, which was a first.

The whole trading post thing reminds me of Mad Max.  It's perfect for Nick - if he had enough valuables to trade, he would probably never leave.  I see an analogy between people getting drunk and high at the trading post and soldiers at war going on leave and doing the same thing.  It's a release from your regular world of constant danger and death.

Somebody mentioned Madison only cared about herself - that may be true, but earlier in the series she fiercely protected her kids.  That's all gone now.  The fact that it is hard to root for Madison is the show's biggest flaw.

And yes, there are no morally solid leader types except possibly Alicia.  But she can't be the leader of Madison's group, so maybe it's best she is on her own for now.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
  • 9,737 posts

Finally had time to watch this episode and I liked it.

In This Land is Your Land I had briefly thought that Ofelia was bitten in the air duct but dismissed the notion when there was nothing said about it afterwards.   I'm sorry to see Ofelia go; she was one of the few characters that I find likeable.  I found her death and her father’s reaction surprisingly moving. Ruben Blades was great.  IMO it would have been just as much a cliché to have Ofelia survive long enough to have a heartfelt goodbye with her father.

It seemed to me that Madison finally recognized that she can no longer control/protect her kids when she accepted that Alicia wouldn’t come back and let Nick stay at the trading post without argument.  This is a slightly different Madison though she may revert as she has before.

Nick, Nick, Nick – stealing a dying woman’s medication.  I know that is what addicts do but I can't help but despise it.  Nick and Troy, drugs and Mexicans and the dead, all cooped up together.  What could go wrong?

Last season I really hated the notion that by smearing a little zombie blood on your face and chest you could march around, in groups no less, talk, argue and whatever without attracting the attention of the dead.  I was happy that it had been dropped this season but there it was again.  If it actually worked in that way, very few people would still be dying.  They could have saved everyone at the ranch!

I am enjoying Alicia’s story as this high achiever in the old world adapts to the new.  Though she was careless about dead guy in the restaurant, she didn’t panic and is obviously confident in her new skills.   She thought quickly about how to best deal with the approaching dead, though I might have seen if I could secure the door and then hidden out of sight.  We all expected that there would be something in the ball pit beyond the usual horde of germs because  - drama -  but why should Alicia have done?

Diana is an interesting character and I hope she’s around for a while.  I still don’t get why gold still has any value, though I suppose currency is still needed in places like the trading post.

Has Victor finally sold his companions out?   I didn’t get what he was doing skulking around in the brothel and wasn’t sure if he was looking to make a deal or did it to save himself. 

Daniel has done and seen things that most of us only envision in nightmares.  He may be old and somewhat crazy but he has a whole level of experience, training and toughness beyond any of the other characters and most of us.  I was glad that he and Madison were reconciled and am interested to see where both characters go on from here.

I agree that aside from Alicia, who is mostly innocent, these are not and never were good people.  It makes the series interesting but chilly.  On TWD most of the group are fundamentally good if flawed people and that makes them easier to relate to and care about.  It's hard to care too much about Madison and her group.  

I agree that it is hard to stay invested in characters that are so unlikable. I do like that that these are not one dimensional characters because human beings are very flawed individuals, but I feel like the show has taken it too far in some cases. Nick was my favorite character and I think they have done a good job showing the destructive nature of an addict. However, allowing Nick to enable Troy because he recognizes his destructive behavior is not realistic, IMO. The first time they met Troy, he was about to kill them. Madison and Nick are the two who have seen the true sociopath that Troy is. To allow him to be part of the group is like walking around with a ticking time bomb and neither of them seem to be concerned about it. Nick is definitely flawed, but what made him special was that he was a charismatic person who cared about people. Knowing that Troy was responsible for all the deaths on the ranch, that Troy killed the family that left the ranch and to allow him to be a part of the group without any consequences just strains the credibility of Nick's character too much for me. There comes a point where the characters become too unredeemable to come back from and Nick is at that point for me.

ETA: When Nick lied to his sister about Troy bringing the horde to the ranch, that was the moment when they went too far with his character.

Edited by Serenity@sea, 11 October 2017 - 09:30 PM.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,268 posts
  • LocationOhio

Right on then I stand corrected and am happy to retract.

Also, I didn't mean to sound like an ass if I did. I was like wait..... I was calling this death for awhile!! Lol

omegaman

omegaman

Lurker

• Members
  • 400 posts

Also, I didn't mean to sound like an ass if I did. I was like wait..... I was calling this death for awhile!! Lol

No problem, I wasn't trying to call anyone out in particular and I didn't take your comment as 'ass like" so no worries.  I was trying to be more silly than confrontational.  

Nareen

Nareen

Roamer

• Members
  • 722 posts
  • LocationCanada

I agree that it is hard to stay invested in characters that are so unlikable. I do like that that these are not one dimensional characters because human beings are very flawed individuals, but I feel like the show has taken it too far in some cases. Nick was my favorite character and I think they have done a good job showing the destructive nature of an addict. However, allowing Nick to enable Troy because he recognizes his destructive behavior is not realistic, IMO. The first time they met Troy, he was about to kill them. Madison and Nick are the two who have seen the true sociopath that Troy is. To allow him to be part of the group is like walking around with a ticking time bomb and neither of them seem to be concerned about it. Nick is definitely flawed, but what made him special was that he was a charismatic person who cared about people. Knowing that Troy was responsible for all the deaths on the ranch, that Troy killed the family that left the ranch and to allow him to be a part of the group without any consequences just strains the credibility of Nick's character too much for me. There comes a point where the characters become too unredeemable to come back from and Nick is at that point for me.

ETA: When Nick lied to his sister about Troy bringing the horde to the ranch, that was the moment when they went too far with his character.

I agree with your assessment of Nick.  The actor is good, attractive and charismatic which has made it harder to dislike the character but I'm pretty much there.  It's his protection and enabling of a psycho mass m urderer that gets me.

I don't agree with those who say Madison only cares about herself.  IMO, up to this point, almost everything she did was to protect her kids and she was willing to do just about anything. She did go out of her way to help Victor and was pretty self sacrificing with Daniel last week.  But I still can't like her very much.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,268 posts
  • LocationOhio

No problem, I wasn't trying to call anyone out in particular and I didn't take your comment as 'ass like" so no worries. I was trying to be more silly than confrontational.

When I saw the episode where he wanted her back in a trade. I knew it wouldn't happen. It's predictable. I'd rather her meet with him again and die am episode later. Still predictable yet there wouldn't be any weird confrontation.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Nick is an addict and addicts frequently have serious problems prior to their addiction. Assuming this is the case with Nick, then addiction is not his core problem. If he isn't addressing his core problem with drugs, and he doesn't address those issues in some other manner, then he will remain terribly flawed.

We like Nick- which makes us upset when he continually disappoints us. That's the life of some families who love addicts. His failures leave us disappointed, angry, confused, and questioning what is true about him.

These are all often how it really is.

I continue to root for Nick, because if he can get healthy (enough) then he can be a great asset. But the show is actually writing him well.

Same goes for Madison. This is a deeply flawed family, and like in real life some people still overcome the issues that shackle their families better then others (Alicia). I don't like Madison, but I like her motivation. She is family first, but terrible at it. She doesn't mind alienating people, double crossing them, manipulating them, or murdering them should it suit that need. But she has a broken moral compass, she can't think down the road, she does not see the negative impact she is having on her kids nor how that impact is actually endangering them. She's dangerous and poisonous. Her bad decisions are in character because her clarity it muddied about every situation. Not killing Troy made no sense, but for whatever reason it IS consistent that her decisions are always bad.

With every episode I am more convinced that this show is about Alicia. Maybe she can help Nick come around, maybe not. But I am certain Madison is not the focus of this show. It's how these relationships ultimately impact Alicia that will drive the narrative forward. At least that's my hope. Common theories about who this group becomes in the TWD universe do not appeal to me at all. I like Alicia as the hero we need, and I like following that story most of all.

cornjob

cornjob

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 123 posts
I think the episode would have been so much better if Nick would have been ripped apart by that mob, in utter surprise, as Troy looked on in horror.

In just 2 or 3 episodes, I'm back to not caring about any of these characters any more. Barring something redeeming in the finale, I doubt I'll bother to watch next season. Maybe Pick-axe Michonne will lead to the introduction of another character or two that are more engaging.

Also, can anyone concoct any scenario where it makes sense for that zombie kid to be in the ball pit?

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • 1,165 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I think the episode would have been so much better if Nick would have been ripped apart by that mob, in utter surprise, as Troy looked on in horror.

In just 2 or 3 episodes, I'm back to not caring about any of these characters any more. Barring something redeeming in the finale, I doubt I'll bother to watch next season. Maybe Pick-axe Michonne will lead to the introduction of another character or two that are more engaging.

Also, can anyone concoct any scenario where it makes sense for that zombie kid to be in the ball pit?

Child is bit. Parents and child take child to restaurant for shelter, child wants to go to the ball pit. As a last request they let him.  Child dies. Parents leave child as they don't have the heart to put him down. Child becomes inactive walker. 

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!