Photo

We're Hitting A Crossroads. What Happens Next?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • 1,165 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I feel like the comic is hitting a major crossroads and had an idea of how the rest of the series might pan out. Of course I have no clue, and I also don't keep up with possible future spoilers so this is all speculation:

With the supposed inevitable demise of Andrea and the Saviors (strangely placed) ill will towards a damaged Alexandria, and a destroyed Hilltop.. our group is extremely vulnerable and it seems like we might be seeing a "Changing of the guard".

Here are some things that I think could happen that keep this series moving forward while staying interesting

1: Andrea dies.

2: Negan takes back control of the Saviors and publicly executes Rick (perhaps Carl and a handful of people witness this as well.). Why would Negan do this now, after having so many chances to in private? Well in my eyes he wouldn't just kill Rick for his own personal gain. He'd do it to make a statement to his people and to the world. A statement that he's back, he's in control, and he took out Rick Grimes. 

3: Carl, Michonne, Magda and her group, Maggie, Eugene, Jesus, and a few others retreat to the kingdom. Negan takes the fight to an undermanned Kingdom and the Kingdom falls as well. 

4: They hit the road to Ohio with Eugene as it's their only / best option. 

5: Carl grows into a leader. During this time perhaps they encounter the whispers and finally finish them off. 

6: They plan to take out Negan and seize control of Alexandria, Sanctuary, and the Kingdom. They succeed and the Series ends. 

The reason I thought of this is that I've been thinking lately about Andreas death and though I'm sad about the thought of her biting the dust, I also realized that it's not earth shattering anymore. The only earth shattering thing left for this series to do to really invigorate itself again is for Rick to die.

It can't be Carl because really this series has always been about keeping Carl alive. I think the best payoff is to know that Rick kept Carl alive and showed him how life COULD be. He helped shape Carl into a strong, kind, brave man that will end up being a great leader of this new world that Rick envisioned. 

We've known that Rick has never made the smartest decisions, and honestly keeping Negan of all people alive probably isn't a good decision. There's a reason capital punishment exists (and even moreso reason for it to exist in a world like that, where you house your criminals in a basement) and bottom line Negan was and is too big a threat to have been left unchecked. 

I think part of the reason Rick has kept Negan alive in the first place is because it was a more vindictive fuck you to Negan than a "justice" type thing, no matter what he says. 

"You're going to rot in jail until you die an old man NeganYou're fucked."

One of Ricks greatest personal victories and honestly in my eyes the bravado that kills him in the end. 

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members
  • 334 posts

I would be disapointed if Negan turns out to be the villain again. I like Negan, but we already had a war vs Negan. It would be repetitive to have it again. I don't think either that the current arc will have a big bad. Imo, there will be a conjuction of treats that will need to the downfall of the network of communities.

Then, they will be on the road for the next arc.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,267 posts
  • LocationOhio
i wouldn't like to see Negan as villains again either. if Rick dies Negan gets killed on the spot. nobody is afraid of him anymore. the savoirs may gave a small army but going against ASZ, Hilltop and Kingdom. they won't win. we don't know where kingdom even is at this point.

speaking of the kingdom. i figure during the time all this has been gping on that power could have possibly shifted. normally if the "good guy" makes a threat he normally ends up dead. i would be surprised ig it doesn't chsnge hands.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • 5,791 posts
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.

I would like to see this lead to the end of the book.

Kirkman has already ended Invincible probably his best comic ever made and Walking Dead seems to be getting long in the tooth. 

Do not get me wrong I still like the comic but I am hoping the end is in sight.

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

Dead Gov Walking

Dead Gov Walking

Roamer

• Members
  • 684 posts

yeah the comic needs to start wrapping up before it overstays its welcome

Vrill

Vrill

Roamer

• Banned
  • 480 posts

Kirkman once said there is enough material for 300+ comic issues. Its on issue 175 or so right now? So take that as you see fit. 

samus88

samus88

Lurker

• Members
  • 213 posts

Kirkman better not make Negan a villain again... #156 wouldn't be the same if he did.

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • 1,165 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Kirkman once said there is enough material for 300+ comic issues. Its on issue 175 or so right now? So take that as you see fit. 

Jesus Christ. I really hope that's not the case. 

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 1,928 posts

After 168, we are definitely at a crossroads. Negan's story appears to be completed. Andrea is gone. Saviors look to not be a threat any longer. Hell, they even found Gabriel's body to put an end to that arc. There isn't much left to wrap up outside of Beta still being out there. I say The Whisperers story arc is dead though.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 1,928 posts

I also think that, though Negan's arc appears finished, they may still do something interesting with him. I still believe that Rick's "I'm going to kill you. Not today, not tomorrow, but I am going to kill you." is something that will get fulfilled at some point.

RayRey

RayRey

Infected

• Members
  • 13 posts

I think a major part of the next couple years of comic releases will be about them traveling to and getting to know the Ohio group and the issues that they have been dealing with.

Just like Kirkman expanded the comic when we were introduced to larger communities once we arrived at Alexandria. It is now about to get expanded again to where we will learn about community systems in entirely different states.

It is just another step on the path to regaining civilization. We are introduced to our main character in the very first issue. Then we soon learn there our other people out there as well when we run into Morgan, Duane, and Glenn. Glenn leads us to our first legitimate group and we spend time getting to know them. Then after awhile we are introduced to our first community when we travel to Woodbury which leads to our first legitimate conflict with a different group of people.

The series recycles itself once we get to Alexandria only this time on a larger scale and we run into larger scale conflicts as well.

And now it looks like the series is about to go through another recycling as well when we meet the Ohio group. It's all on the process of reestablishing a form of civilization.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!