• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

We're almost here. The return of FTWD is around the corner. I'm excited to see how this season plays out as I think this could potentially be a make or break season for this show. 

Things I'd like to see: 

1: Nick continues to have a very large role, and even takes the main character title for the show (I don't know who it's supposed to be right now but in my eyes he's the most compelling of them all)

2: The death of Madison.   I really just feel like Kim Dickens is out of her element or something. Her acting hasn't impressed me at all and I don't really enjoy the way the character has been written thus far. I think she'd serve a much better role to the show by being killed off. 

3: Keep working on Travis and ensure that he becomes Alicias Protector. 

4: Escape from Mexico. 

5: An interesting storyline for Ofelia! Was she even in season 2? lol

6: Develop Alicia more, her and Travis should have a strong bond moving forward and I expect for them to both get into some great misadventures together

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationOttawa

I expected and like what they did to Travis's character. It's the push he needs to be truly prepared for the world. Nick has always been a compelling character and with an appropriate amount of self-respect and a centering of his purpose he can use his past as a lost kid to direct his future. Alicia as the most grounded character is important, but something needs to give her an interesting character arc. Madison doesn't bother me. I'd like to see her more interesting sides explored, perhaps break her in a way where we get some character depth. Ofelia on her own was a good idea, but something has to come from that or it will have been pointless. She has to grow in some direction now.

Strand shouldn't be finished, and his return is important. A role outside the uber-prepared know it all will be good for him, and the show.

And bring back Alex, the best character the show had by far. They must know this, hasn't everyone said so?

I don't care how they force it into the plot, just do it.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationOttawa

I will say that no matter what people think about FTWD, it dropped the ball in a big way when it comes to excitement. 

I watch the show and I think it can solve its problems, but in an active forum like this, full of people who like the source material, the FTWD section is desolate. 

Bring Alex back and fix the problem! :)

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • 3,576 posts
  • LocationEye Socket

Who the hell is Alex?   I miss Salazar.

Posted Image

zack

zack

Roamer

• Members
  • 671 posts
  • LocationThe Other Side

Who the hell is Alex?  

This gave me a laugh.  Thought of the song "Living Next Door To Alice"...then the parody, "Who The Fuck Is Alice"

Alex is the flight 462 plane crash survivor, who ended up with the group that took Alicia and Travis in season 2.

"I don't believe that things happen for the best. I do believe, however, that it is possible to make the best of things that happen."

Kursk

Kursk

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 145 posts

7 out of 10 (million) viewers have given up on the show by the end of season 2 finale.

Breaking TWD (vlogger) said it lacked a good protagonist setup. Brilliantly stated. TWD that we like has many strong heroes who we like. FTWD I guess Madison is supposed to be the main protagonist.

A guidance counselor, a teacher, a student, and a drug addict walk into a zompoc. There is no punchline, it is not a joke. Just a really bad protagonist setup.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationOttawa

7 out of 10 (million) viewers have given up on the show by the end of season 2 finale.

Breaking TWD (vlogger) said it lacked a good protagonist setup. Brilliantly stated. TWD that we like has many strong heroes who we like. FTWD I guess Madison is supposed to be the main protagonist.

A guidance counselor, a teacher, a student, and a drug addict walk into a zompoc. There is no punchline, it is not a joke. Just a really bad protagonist setup.

And meanwhile an interesting nerd (school kid know-it-all), interesting ? woman (Alex), and a brave kid (kid on plane) are dropped in and dropped back out within a couple of episodes.

Nick has potential- big potential. Salazar was interesting, but also a bit vicious to be a heroic protag.

Strand, once he achieved human status, has potential as well.

I'm hopeful. Alicia was a big fan favorite from the 100- they need to harness that by giving her some more interesting things to do.

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • 3,576 posts
  • LocationEye Socket

And meanwhile an interesting nerd (school kid know-it-all), interesting ? woman (Alex), and a brave kid (kid on plane) are dropped in and dropped back out within a couple of episodes.

Nick has potential- big potential. Salazar was interesting, but also a bit vicious to be a heroic protag.

Strand, once he achieved human status, has potential as well.

I'm hopeful. Alicia was a big fan favorite from the 100- they need to harness that by giving her some more interesting things to do.

Ok, now I remember Alex.  Thanks.  

Salazar was a product of El Salvador.  If you haven't read of their history of a "civil" war, you should.  His being a protagonist makes a helluva lotta sense.  It's a vicious world.  He saved ALL OF THEM with his torture methods.  He did the same in his home country to save his family.  

They'd all be dead had he not cut on that man who was supposed to be in love with his daughter.  All great literature needs a Salazar.  And the actor is impeccable.  His influence in Panama in real life is a bit convoluted (Blades, not Salazar) but his credentials as an actor, musician, etc are unimpeachable.  I miss the shit out of him.  He knows how brutal the world is, unlike Travis and co.  

Only Strand and Nick know any better.  And they are just petty criminals.  Salazar got his family out of the muck and would be a much better protagonist than than Maddie.  He has an edge which Rick lacks and is far more interesting for having that edge.  Small town cop Vs. El Salvadorian survivor/expat do what ya gotta do butcher is a-okay in my book.  

And someone who can look at a situation, make an immediate judgement call and say, "This is going to hurt me as much as it hurts you" and mean it.  He doesn't like what he does but sees it as necessary.  Thus, my respect for Salazar.

Posted Image

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationOttawa

I loved Salazar as a character, but I still believe that he's too quick to brutality and too dismissive of any and all human life save for his own to be a good protagonist for a show that presumably will have many characters. Salazar can't be the man to write the show around, but he could have a great journey.

I wouldn't be interested in a show where Salazar was the leader, but I'd love a show where Salazar was still alive. He has to open his world up.

I understand why he's shut down, and although I thought the torture was ridiculous because it wouldn't have been necessary (the man would have confessed so much sooner, this wasn't a scenario where he was protecting an ideology, his family, or state secrets, he was just holding onto knowledge of a purge. I thought it was necessary to show what Salazar would do, I just wish they'd wrote a scenario I would have bought more readily for the torture.

Salazar was directly dangerous to everyone but Ofelia (and possibly indirectly to her as well depending on situation). He needed an arc where he learned to trust, or he needed to die. I wish they'd kept him alive. His skills are important and he can help in so many ways. But he's a long way from being someone I would trust.

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • 3,576 posts
  • LocationEye Socket

I loved Salazar as a character, but I still believe that he's too quick to brutality and too dismissive of any and all human life save for his own to be a good protagonist for a show that presumably will have many characters. Salazar can't be the man to write the show around, but he could have a great journey.

I wouldn't be interested in a show where Salazar was the leader, but I'd love a show where Salazar was still alive. He has to open his world up.

I understand why he's shut down, and although I thought the torture was ridiculous because it wouldn't have been necessary (the man would have confessed so much sooner, this wasn't a scenario where he was protecting an ideology, his family, or state secrets, he was just holding onto knowledge of a purge. I thought it was necessary to show what Salazar would do, I just wish they'd wrote a scenario I would have bought more readily for the torture.

Salazar was directly dangerous to everyone but Ofelia (and possibly indirectly to her as well depending on situation). He needed an arc where he learned to trust, or he needed to die. I wish they'd kept him alive. His skills are important and he can help in so many ways. But he's a long way from being someone I would trust.

Weird.  Out of all of them, I would trust him first, as I understand him.  In picking from a pool of protagonists from this series I have an expat from El Salvador and a heroin addict and those are the ones I would go with. That's just the way I am, I guess.  They know how to survive and get by, as do I in general.  When life is seemingly insurmountable, you get by.

Maddie is a very unrealistic and idiotic protag, Travis, a gelded pony.  Ofelia and Alisa are the only interesting females  in the actual series that have lasted.  They shouldn't have killed off the ex wife.  She was interesting. 

I think the military dude would not have given up anything.  It was evident to me that the skinning was necessary to make him spill the beans on what was to happen to a girl (and the rest) what was ultimately going to happen.  That's messed up.  

Salazar isn't dead, I hope kinda like Morgan.

Edited by theglassintheguvseye, 15 April 2017 - 02:56 PM.

Posted Image

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationOttawa

I wouldn't trust Salazar because he'd slit my throat while we're running from walkers to give Ofelia a better chance to escape.

He's a great character, but he's not on my team- he's only on Ofelia's team and everyone else is expendable.

I never bought the torture necessity because I don't believe that character would have needed to be tortured- certainly not like that.

I do believe the show's internal truth is that torture was required, but that doesn't mean I bought it anymore that I believe those garbage people would really exist.

I am not for Maddie as a leader because her decisions are wrong. Travis can't make decisions (I think he's changed, though.)

Nick is a leader, a little bit too ready to drink the Kool-Aid sometimes but hopefully he's learned that silly cults aren't useful and that straight practicality is what's needed. That sense of purpose leadership could offer him could be cool, but he has issues that need to be dealt with.

Ofelia hopefully will remain herself but with her father's resolve. Someone with Salazar's smarts is crucial, but it needs a humane balance he feels threatened by.

As far as I'm concerned- with this group, I'd be the leader. :)
That will change, some of these characters are starting to become what is needed. And frankly the show is pointless if they're prepared right out of the gate.

If offered the choice- I'd follow Alex.

She also knows what to do and is ready to do it- but she isn't so divorced from the rest of humanity as Salazar is.

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • 3,576 posts
  • LocationEye Socket

Hell, Mosher.  I'd follow you now that I know you better.  You're balanced.  You have grit that no one reads in your posts but you temper it well.  (That is a compliment BTW.)

In Salazar's world you eat or you're eaten.  You beat or you're beaten.  It's not unlike my childhood in the U.S.  I understand him.  Ofelia may take the good and leave the bad or she may be eaten.  That is up to the writers.  She certainly has been raised to deal with hostile terrain.  Still, I like the idea of Daniel leading.  It would be a totally different take from the original series.

Something needs to save the show if the people making it want to keep their jobs.  The only things going for it are the Salazar family, Nick and Slade.

Daniel may be divorced from humanity but humanity as we know it is divorced from humanity in most countries, mine included.  You were lucky to end up in Canada.  Are there grackles there?  Zombie birds if I ever saw one.   Anyway, I actually am closer to Salazar than anyone else on the show.   If Travis catches up to speed, I may end up liking him but somehow I doubt that will happen.  Maddie is not gonna work for me.  She's Lori in charge to me.

Posted Image

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationOttawa

I think Salazar could become a great member of the team, but his motivation isn't going to change. He has to accept you into his family, and trust isn't cheap with him.

Once he trusts the group he'll run into hell for you, no doubt. But until then he'd leave you behind in a heartbeat. That's why he can't be leader. He's not reckless- if he was he'd already have cut the Travis/Maddie family loose. I think he's a great character and I hope he survives. If he survives, woe to the man who captured Ofelia. :)

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • 3,576 posts
  • LocationEye Socket

Salazar would adopt me in a heartbeat.  Vicious people normally do.  My dad was gentle but he wasn't nice.  Hell, BWR loves me and he's the most vicious person I know next to me.

Here's a for instance. We've had a terrible cold/flu for over a week.  He's over taken his meds both prescribed and OTC.  He's alternating between bitchy and whiny (they're very similar to me and I treat them as such.)

Anyway, he was bemoaning his lack of tissue to blow his nose on.  I , being the dutiful asshole around here was halfway up off the bed to get him some. 

BWR:  "Don't get me any G-damn tissue.  I'll get it myself."

Me:  "Fuck you, I'll gladly let you drown in your own putrid phlegm."

When people have taken a hand full of pills saying they want to die, I say "If that's what you want to do, who am I to tell you otherwise."  

Of course, I try to get people in a better state of mind unless I hate their guts but if someone really wants to do something stupid, there's no stopping them.  Women seem more well adapted to this reality.  As do people who have fought their way out of any sort of holocaust, genocide, etc.  

Salazar isn't reckless.  He's calculated.  His character must have suffered through monthly periods to make him so sturdy.  Ofelia, if she takes after either parent will become the leader.  Maddie is a drunk, Nick, while interesting is a drug addict and Travis is milk toast.  I'd just as soon see a matriarchy as a Danielarchy.  Ofelia would serve well in that capacity.  She's got GUSTO.

rZ13lFj.jpg

Posted Image

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • 4,571 posts
  • LocationThe Stratosphere!

Salazar would adopt me in a heartbeat.  Vicious people normally do.  My dad was gentle but he wasn't nice.  Hell, BWR loves me and he's the most vicious person I know next to me.

Here's a for instance. We've had a terrible cold/flu for over a week.  He's over taken his meds both prescribed and OTC.  He's alternating between bitchy and whiny (they're very similar to me and I treat them as such.)

Anyway, he was bemoaning his lack of tissue to blow his nose on.  I , being the dutiful asshole around here was halfway up off the bed to get him some. 

BWR:  "Don't get me any G-damn tissue.  I'll get it myself."

Me:  "Fuck you, I'll gladly let you drown in your own putrid phlegm."

When people have taken a hand full of pills saying they want to die, I say "If that's what you want to do, who am I to tell you otherwise."  

Of course, I try to get people in a better state of mind unless I hate their guts but if someone really wants to do something stupid, there's no stopping them.  Women seem more well adapted to this reality.  As do people who have fought their way out of any sort of holocaust, genocide, etc.  

Salazar isn't reckless.  He's calculated.  His character must have suffered through monthly periods to make him so sturdy.  Ofelia, if she takes after either parent will become the leader.  Maddie is a drunk, Nick, while interesting is a drug addict and Travis is milk toast.  I'd just as soon see a matriarchy as a Danielarchy.  Ofelia would serve well in that capacity.  She's got GUSTO.

rZ13lFj.jpg

enhanced-buzz-17372-1372371677-9.jpg?dow

Edited by backwoodsroamer, 15 April 2017 - 10:49 PM.

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

ricky311

ricky311

Infected

• Members
  • 51 posts
Madison's development as a leader. She's no Rick (thank God), but she is the only character who is trying to keep everyone together, and the only one making decisions that don't just affect herself. I like how these traits conflict with her impulsiveness and motherly instincts.

I don't care if Daniel returns or not. If his arc has ended, so be it. His character, from the start, felt like a convenience to me. He was there to be that smart and badass character to guide our group of noobs into the darkness of the new world. If there is more to him than that, great, but I haven't seen it yet. And at this point I would much rather see the other characters develop into their own badass versions, without Daniel taking all the dirty work out of their hands.

I do want to see more of Strand. He's funny. And I loved the relationship between him and Madison.

Emma Caulfield (Anya from Buffy) will join the cast this season and I hope she gets an important role, because she is a tremendous actress and she will fit right into this universe. However, after Alex, I'm not expecting too much. Even though I really want to.

I wonder if Alex will be back. Probably not, but fans obviously love her. I liked her on the plane, and the episode where the group found her, but pirate (and creepy/crazy) Alex was a big turn off for me and that was the last we've seen of her. So if they bring her back, I really hope they ditch that pirate/creepy vibe. People loved Alex because she was grounded and knew how to react. We do not need another crazy character in this show.

I also expect a lot of zombies and dangerous situations involving zombies. TWD is past the 'omg zombies run!' point, and I really miss the sense of 'danger everywhere' in that show at this point. FTWD shouldn't go that route.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 1,896 posts

The show needs to develop a "no one is safe" aura that the original had for the first 2 or 3 seasons. This early in the apocalypse and they are all bad-asses already? It just doesn't work.

daenerys

daenerys

Roamer

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

A 'nobody is safe' aura only works if one is invested in the characters and try and I might, I am just not.  Not only am I uncaring about some of the cast, but I openly dislike many of them.  Salazar was my favorite by a landslide.  Nick is now growing on me just enough to keep me watching.  I hope Season 3 is... better?

Edited by daenerys, 21 April 2017 - 05:06 AM.

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • 3,576 posts
  • LocationEye Socket

A 'nobody is safe' aura only works if one is invested in the characters and try and I might, I am just not.  Not only am I uncaring about some of the cast, but I openly dislike many of them.  Salazar was my favorite by a landslide.  Nick is now growing on me just enough to keep me watching.  I hope Season 3 is... better?

Don't we all have that wish.  You are like my down under counterpart. We love the most despicable but "real" characters.  We differ on Shane (the walking hard-on) but that's no biggie.  Salazar will be back.  Ruben Blades is in high demand in many capacities.  He's multi talented like Reedus who I liked when he was gruffer.  It shows.  

I like "real" characters who I can relate to as fellow, suffering human beings.  Merle, Salazar, early Daryl all suffered and sacrificed for family.  I "get" that.  Pod people are of no interest to me.  Hell, give me Denise and Tara, Eric and Aaron, at least they've had the homosexual stigma against them, sadly.  I even like Carl and Enid now on the other show.  Maddie's POS son died.  Big whoop.  No great loss there.  Nick, as I said before is somewhat interesting.  

Let's face it, unless you've actually lived a life where nothing bad ever happens, you are a POD.  I've had and will continue to have my share of suffering.  That's why Madison, Travis, Lori, Andrea to an extent, etc. bored the hell out of me.  

Posted Image

daenerys

daenerys

Roamer

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Aww, you didn't like Shane?  He was that kind of character, you either liked or loathed him. I always found him interesting to watch, even if he was less sympathetic near the end. And yes, Travis, Madison, Andrea and Lori bored the heck out of me too.  Zzzzz

So good to hear Salazar will probably be back next season!  I am much more enthused than I was before hearing this.  Maybe the show is salvageable after all.  I need to get my WD fix somehow now that we are on hiatus.

cornjob

cornjob

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 112 posts

I wouldn't trust Salazar because he'd slit my throat while we're running from walkers to give Ofelia a better chance to escape.

He's a great character, but he's not on my team- he's only on Ofelia's team and everyone else is expendable.

I never bought the torture necessity because I don't believe that character would have needed to be tortured- certainly not like that.

I do believe the show's internal truth is that torture was required, but that doesn't mean I bought it anymore that I believe those garbage people would really exist.

I am not for Maddie as a leader because her decisions are wrong. Travis can't make decisions (I think he's changed, though.)

Nick is a leader, a little bit too ready to drink the Kool-Aid sometimes but hopefully he's learned that silly cults aren't useful and that straight practicality is what's needed. That sense of purpose leadership could offer him could be cool, but he has issues that need to be dealt with.

Ofelia hopefully will remain herself but with her father's resolve. Someone with Salazar's smarts is crucial, but it needs a humane balance he feels threatened by.

As far as I'm concerned- with this group, I'd be the leader. :)
That will change, some of these characters are starting to become what is needed. And frankly the show is pointless if they're prepared right out of the gate.

If offered the choice- I'd follow Alex.

She also knows what to do and is ready to do it- but she isn't so divorced from the rest of humanity as Salazar is.

I think the process of Salazar coming to view the rest of the survivor group as his family would be an interesting process. We would see his decision-making start to change a bit. I really hope they bring him back.

I think the show needs a new major character with some charisma that the audience can connect with. I kind of find this group of survivors to be hard to care about. They don't seem like people I should be rooting for. For example, in the hotel, I was immediately more aligned with the brother/sister duo that worked there. They were easier to invest in and root for. 

But truth be told, I really don't have any expectation that FTWD is going to get better. I'll watch at least the beginning of this season, but I won't be surprised for the show to continue to peter out from here.

ceb364

ceb364

Infected

• Members
  • 87 posts

I hope Alex is already in that camp.

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • 3,576 posts
  • LocationEye Socket

As predicted, Salazar is back.  I enjoyed his episode.  Ruben Blades is a fucking genius.

Posted Image

daenerys

daenerys

Roamer

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

As predicted, Salazar is back.  I enjoyed his episode.  Ruben Blades is a fucking genius.

I thought of you while I was watching this weeks episode!  So good to have Salazar back.  This was possibly my favourite episode of the show to date :)

Alessia2

Alessia2

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 124 posts

I´ve only seen the season 2 this spring (after TWD season 7 ended) and no idea when will the season 3 be shown here. I´m not too fond of this series, but the last episodes were more interesting than most before and I´m curious to see more. Very likely will be reading here your talk of episodes just for fun as I´m not too worried about getting spoiled with this series.

I´d hope they would get away from Mexico and do something surprising and interesting to watch. The hotel was a bit different and got me more curious but then everything was messed up and they are going to do something new. I like the communication and connection between people most interesting and hope there would be introduced more interesting characters as their group is getting short.

Never really liked Travis or Madison. The kids were more interesting characters. But killing that poor boy in such lame way was quite unnecessary. There would have been more drama around him. I´m curious about Nick as some sort of new leader. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!