Photo

Red Shirt Development Over Guns & Army?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Red Shirt character development, or seeking Guns & Ammo story? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you prefer Red-Shirt character development over the search for Guns & soldiers storyline?

1. Yes, I'd have liked the inevitable cannon fodder characters developed more. (9 votes [81.82%])

Percentage of vote: 81.82%

2. No, I've enjoyed the guns & soldiers storyline. (2 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • 1,120 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hi all, 

I had some thoughts after being disappointed with tonights episode, and was compelled to see where you all stand currently. 

My thoughts:

I personally have found the whole quest for guns and soldiers to be pretty boring and convenient in regards to stretching the season out. 

It felt unnecessary (even if it was smart) for Negan to take away all of Rick and Companies guns and ammo, because in the end I think we all knew that the show wasn't going to turn into seasons of them slaving away for Negan.  As for soldiers, the HIlltop and the Kingdom should have been enough for people to fight with.

We all knew that one way or the other they were going to find a way to get more weapons and fight Negan. 

So of course, almost instantly we have Tara conveniently stumble upon an army of women who happen to have... what's that? TONS OF WEAPONS.   

Oh hey, look.. Rick found a bunch of weird people who have weapons! But they want more, but.. Negan took all their weapons. Oh, well.. Rick and Michonne will go in search of weapons and.. hey what's that? A shit ton of weapons! Wow!  UGH..  

I much rather have NO garbage people and NO amazons, in favor of having had more time to develop characters from The Hilltop and The Kingdom (along with core character development that we've seen as well).  Granted we did get some character development from the Kingdom, but not as much as we potentially could. Especially for an upcoming war which should have lots of casualties.

We could have gotten some really good exciting action with Ricks group scavenging, perhaps having to fight off other groups that aren't the saviors while they're looking for supplies, and just generally building up more characters that will most assuredly die. Like Benjamin from the hilltop, and Richard from the Hilltop! Alas, they're both dead and now we're left with a lack of red-shirt characters to really feel for or get ANY impact from when the war arrives. 

I couldn't give two shits about the Amazons or the Garbage people because they've been tacked on conveniently and are under developed. 

Anyways, those are my thought and I'm looking forward to seeing how you all vote. Would you prefer to see more red shirt character development like we got with Richard and Benjamin? Or do you think the show is headed down the right path devoting more time towards the quest for guns and soldiers?

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."

Alessia2

Alessia2

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 123 posts

For sure I´d enjoy more of character developement building up. If asked me, there would have been just enough new for one season to add in show Kingdom and Negan´s place, plus deepen Hilltop some more. Well, I sort of liked the Oceanside group, or at least the idea of it, but not too much of the garbage group. I could have done without them easily, too. So far there haven´t been any new people I´d care for, except in Kingdom and Hilltop, which have many. 

daenerys

daenerys

Roamer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

I tend to agree with you, thelastpaul. I really hate the garbage people and Oceanside is an outright bore - not to mention the place soaked up an entire episode just to show us a new stack of guns.  I respect Negan for taking the guns from Alexandria, but it would have been a lot better for the story if the Hilltop or Kingdom had a few extra stashed away - maybe in Richard's caravan - rather than have two whole episodes dedicated to finding more.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 1,882 posts

People constantly clamor for the show to diverge from the comic, but this season is yet again full of examples of the show being at its worst when it does just that. Amazons and garbage pail community. Rosita and Sasha's ridiculous plan. Pretty much anything to do with Morgan. Richonne. An entire half season of finding guns and cannon fodder was and is awful, and, surprise, is not from the comic.

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members
  • 334 posts

Not wrong from Negan to remove their weapons. Actually i think this idea was an improvement from the comics.

About Richard and Benjamin, they aren't red shirt, but plot related characters. You remove them and the plot would have gone into a totally different direction.

Olivia (or Denise idk) was a true mauve shirt. She just had enough development for us to be sorry when she was shot, but no a milimeter more. I couldn't care less if she was a character or an extra at that point.

The plot of this seasons has some flaws (namely the Rosita's *i have the dumbest plans possible, people die right and left because of me, i have karma houdini, everyone forgive me easily and i keep treating them like shit, retconning my own plot when i can*), but those aren't because they didn't develloped enough savior #78 or Alexandrian #56.

etphoto

etphoto

Biter

• Members
  • 877 posts

I'm not sure how the finale battle will go down but I'm am sure a lot of people are going to be killed.  The two "new" groups have been recruited by the writers (I believe) for that very reason.  For that, I really didn't enjoy the story line and introductions of the two groups but I do see its purpose. 

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 1,785 posts
  • LocationOttawa

People constantly clamor for the show to diverge from the comic, but this season is yet again full of examples of the show being at its worst when it does just that. Amazons and garbage pail community. Rosita and Sasha's ridiculous plan. Pretty much anything to do with Morgan. Richonne. An entire half season of finding guns and cannon fodder was and is awful, and, surprise, is not from the comic.

On the other hand, we have a tiger and a cartoon villain.

While in the past I'd have argued with you more vehemently (maybe I even did), this year I can only meet you half way.

They left the heavy lifting to Kirkman, and he provided that in the comic. The writers otherwise aren't fixing the bad comic elements or adding intriguing ideas.

The actors are doing the work this year.

It's a Gimple thing or an AMC thing, though. The writers are given an outline and some details they have to wedge in. Sometimes they can't make it good.

But I still disagree that veering from the comics is a mistake. There's a lot of things about the comics I wish they'd have veered from and others I'm glad they did.

cornjob

cornjob

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 108 posts

I want to see a CGI tiger eat a CGI deer.  That's when I'll know this show has jumped the shark. 

Narren

Narren

Roamer

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationOver there

I want to see a CGI tiger eat a CGI deer.  That's when I'll know this show has jumped the shark. 

Wait till the CGI dragon eats the CGI tiger.

tublecane

tublecane

Biter

• Members
  • 968 posts

The worst thing about this season, by far, is Negan.

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members
  • 334 posts

Even compared with Rosita ? :smiley-confused002:

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOhio

The worst thing about this season, by far, is Negan.

that's your opinion. i feel rosita is the worse. she gets someone killed and Eugene gets taken amd still doesn't learn her lesson. she then seeks out the help of sasha for another stupid plan.

tublecane

tublecane

Biter

• Members
  • 968 posts

that's your opinion. i feel rosita is the worse. she gets someone killed and Eugene gets taken amd still doesn't learn her lesson. she then seeks out the help of sasha for another stupid plan.

Rosita is bad, but she's contained. She only manages to hurt so much of the story. Negan, aside from his enormous amount of screen time, affects so much, including Rosita's story. He's the cause of her stupidity, ultimately. And this may not be fair of me, but he's also the cause of the bottle episodes and the dragging of feet and stretching things out they've done to support the multi-season Savior arch they've committed themselves to. I almost have to blame him for the Junkyard Gang.

I don't blame him for Richonne, however.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOhio

Rosita is bad, but she's contained. She only manages to hurt so much of the story. Negan, aside from his enormous amount of screen time, affects so much, including Rosita's story. He's the cause of her stupidity, ultimately. And this may not be fair of me, but he's also the cause of the bottle episodes and the dragging of feet and stretching things out they've done to support the multi-season Savior arch they've committed themselves to. I almost have to blame him for the Junkyard Gang.

I don't blame him for Richonne, however.

you can't blame Negan for bottle episodes, this show has been doing that for the last few yrs. i blame really bad writing because that's what it is.

Richonne is just cringy. i saw them as pals not a couple. i never saw that spark between them though they were forcing it now and then.

Edited by Mr. NomNom, 26 March 2017 - 10:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!