Photo

Walking Dead Season 7, Ep. 14 "the Other Side" Review Thread

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

Poll: Walking Dead Season 7, Ep. 14 "the Other Side" Review Thread (61 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate tonight's episode

1. Excellent (10 votes [16.39%])

Percentage of vote: 16.39%

2. Good (20 votes [32.79%])

Percentage of vote: 32.79%

3. Fair (24 votes [39.34%])

Percentage of vote: 39.34%

4. Poor (7 votes [11.48%])

Percentage of vote: 11.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

AD VICTORIUM

• Moderators
  • 2,414 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Rate tonight's episode

As far as I'm concerned, you're dead. You were perused and slain by this Brotherhood knight, and your remains were incinerated.

etphoto

etphoto

Biter

• Members
  • 877 posts

I voted fair.  Nothing great about this episode. 

The "Maggie / Daryl talk" fans got their wish tonight, finally.

Aolain

Aolain

Lurker

• Members
  • 405 posts
I voted fair as well. Not a slam on the episode. I think is is mainly a 'set up" episode for the rest of the season.

@Hargraves24

@Hargraves24

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • LocationNorthampton, MA
This show absolutely sucks. That episode served no purpose whatsoever. Daryl and Maggie confrontation took a minute. Not only that it was predictable. We're all good Daryl! Hug! Shocker!
I can handle characterization and slow storytelling. This isn't that. They are stretching everything out as much as possible for financial reasons.
It's like they said let's have Daryl and Maggie talk in this episode. But to fill it out we'll have Sasha and Rosina talk about Abraham,again. 'I got your back' great writing. Then try to kill Negan. But no clean shot. Another shocker!!!! I thought for sure they'd kill him!!!
Then we will have the Saviors take the doctor. Then have Sasha go in alone and END the episode.
The TellTale season 3 episode I played last night was more compelling by far.

Partyof5

Partyof5

Infected

• Members
  • 88 posts

Fair.  Another slow, setup episode.  

The best part was the initial Maggie/Daryl encounter by the trailers at night.  That said more than the talk they had later on in the cellar. 

Edited by Partyof5, 20 March 2017 - 02:36 AM.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

AD VICTORIUM

• Moderators
  • 2,414 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

I voted fair. 

Killing Negan with a sniper rifle from far away- it was reckless, but still had a small chance of succeeding. 

But just two people walking into the saviors' compound and shooting up the place? 

Can someone explain why that makes any sense at all? 

If they have a death wish then, well okay.  But Rosita and Sasha's attack could have consequences for their friends back home. Negan's people have shown a willingness to kill people to prove a point and/ or make an example of someone. 

They aren't just putting their own lives at risk, but everyone else's. 

As far as I'm concerned, you're dead. You were perused and slain by this Brotherhood knight, and your remains were incinerated.

Outkast1980

Outkast1980

Roamer

• Banned
  • 772 posts
  • LocationQuad Cities

I voted fair. 

Killing Negan with a sniper rifle from far away- it was reckless, but still had a small chance of succeeding. 

But just two people walking into the saviors' compound and shooting up the place? 

Can someone explain why that makes any sense at all? 

If they have a death wish then, well okay.  But Rosita and Sasha's attack could have consequences for their friends back home. Negan's people have shown a willingness to kill people to prove a point and/ or make an example of someone. 

They aren't just putting their own lives at risk, but everyone else's. 

Rosita bailed. She is heading back to either Hilltop or Alexandria. She followed Sasha's request. It's only Sasha there. What's happening now is something from comics but done a bit differently.  Now in how it's done, Negan still won't know they are gearing up for war.  Sasha can take all the blame for everything that's happened. Can claim she acted alone.  etc.. The plan from the start was reckless and stupid that's for sure.  Rick and Co. got lucky it ended how it did. 

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
  • LocationOttawa

I voted fair.

I liked most of what occurred at Hilltop.

I think the Maggie and Daryl scene went exactly how it should.
Gregory is behaving how I expect him too.

When Sasha acknowledged that there would be repercussions after their assault on the Saviors, that was when the show basically said that Sasha and Rosita know they are condemning Hilltop to a Savior slaughter. How else does Sasha think that would go down? Her recognition of that made a bad idea even worse.

I do continue to hate the Rosita/Sasha assault. I think that phenomenally stupid idea was compounded by Rosita choosing to leave when locked out. Rosita's suicidal all the way up to the point of Sasha locking her out, then suddenly she's not suicidal? It was weak that she went in, and weak that she left. I liked her conversation with Sasha, though.

Eugene behaved like he should have, if he was thinking about the long game. Didn't like seeing it, and if he left Sasha would live, too. Assuming she dies. But of course the Saviors would come knocking hard on Alexandria's door. Long game means staying.

I'm not sure what Outcast thinks Rosita did that changed anything. It was a stupid plan, people hated the plan. Her not following through doesn't make it not a stupid plan. I hated Sasha going even more. Because she openly acknowledged that the Saviors would come.

Of course I guess they'll go after Alexandria since that's where she's from (as far as they know). So even worse she's bringing hell to Alexandria without warning. She clearly knows this, because she said so.

I don't know why her saying she acted alone helps anything. Negan might buy it, but he can't afford to buy it, just in case it was planned.

They couldn't camp out because Eugene wants walkers. Eugene said 'no thank you' to rescue. Going in is an almost certain fail. This wasn't smart.

I can forgive characters being dumb if they don't consider the consequences. It was hard to watch Sasha continue since she did consider the consequences.

I liked the dialog.
I liked the acting.
I even liked the story, from a distance.
But I can't rate it more than fair when the foundation of the whole plan was so weak.

Kursk

Kursk

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 145 posts

Rosita's anti-intellectual, fantasy-fueled frenzy is insufferable to watch. Stupid plan is stupid. They had the right idea just chilling in the tower. Always hurling insults at Eugene (coward, liar) for adapting to the situation she put him in. She is too dumbed down to even understand 10% of what he is trying to do, he is smart to do what he knows is the right thing to do.

And if you don't share in Rosita's angry-stupid wishful thinking then that makes you worse than excrement, or so she seems to believe. She feels her feelings so strongly man, she "knows" she can put on that invisibility cloak and just shoot him. That worked out so well the last time when he was RIGHT in front of her.

bamasaintsteve

bamasaintsteve

Lurker

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • LocationJasper Alabama

I voted fair because nothing really stood out to me this episode. Gregory can't die soon enough for me. Oh and I guess I'm an idiot because I still can't stand Rosita.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • 4,571 posts
  • LocationThe Stratosphere!

I liked this episode and voted good. 

It was well paced. I know the little character centric episodes are required as the story, comic and show, becomes more complex there has to be more setup time before drawing it all together. At least I hope the writers will draw it all together.Still some of those episodes dragged and this one did not.

The only reason I didn't say excellent is the Sasha slams the gate shut while telling Rosita to go back is rather cliche. Seen that scene in all the old war movies. Also shooting Negan from outside the wire is very doable. The Sasha infiltration not so much as I think someone else said. Can you deduct points for "unrealistic scenario" from a fictional story. :srug:  ;) 

Anyway, my two cents. 

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Moderators
  • 9,716 posts

Okay guys. Posts with personal insults have been removed. Please express your opinions about the show without calling people idiots and refrain from other name calling. Thank you.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • 4,571 posts

Okay guys. Posts with personal insults have been removed. Please express your opinions about the show without calling people idiots and refrain from other name calling. Thank you.

I kept my hands off my weapons and my mouth shut ma'am. Please don't get out the bigggg baby picture. Heard you had died. Glad to see it ain't so. ;)

Edited by backwoodsroamer, 20 March 2017 - 04:06 AM.

kxwjZFU.png

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationEye Socket

Thank you for returning.  We've missed you a great deal.  Sometimes ya gotta stretch boundaries to take a load off our one moderator.  Please, don't leave again.  You are our Carol.

Edited by theglassintheguvseye, 20 March 2017 - 04:05 AM.

Posted Image

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Can you deduct points for "unrealistic scenario" from a fictional story. :srug:  ;)

I did, so I guess you can.

:)

But I agree with the pacing, the episode flowed well and was edited well. The dialog was written well, the acting was very good.

I just hate the plan.

A bad plan is fine, but not a bad plan by people who could know, should know, and now clearly did know it was a bad plan.
Suicidal rampage is a believable out for people. But this particular one should have painful repercussions. I suppose it won't, but it should. How many Alexandrians have to assault Negan before he starts to suspect  a plot?

Outpost wiped out.
Rick threatens to kill him.
Carl tries to kill him.
Rosita tries to kill him.
Sasha tries to kill him.

But I get your point. I actually enjoyed the episode.

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members
  • 334 posts

Mostly setup episode, with a kind of silly ending. All the three kamikazes going into rampage, risking the whole war preparation for... reasons... i guess... (if it can get us rid of Daryl and Rosita...)

The part with Simon was entertaining at least...

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Moderators
  • 9,716 posts

Thank you for returning.  We've missed you a great deal.  Sometimes ya gotta stretch boundaries to take a load off our one moderator.  Please, don't leave again.  You are our Carol.

Aw. Thank you. I've been around, just haven't felt like contributing much.

bamasaintsteve

bamasaintsteve

Lurker

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • LocationJasper Alabama

Mostly setup episode, with a kind of silly ending. All the three kamikazes going into rampage, risking the whole war preparation for... reasons... i guess... (if it can get us rid of Daryl and Rosita...)

The part with Simon was entertaining at least...

Are you sure that was Daryl at the end or could it have been Dwight? You couldn't really see who it was.

I know we saw Daryl ask Jesus why he didn't tell them about Sasha and Rosita and he did have his crossbow but that could be a red herring because Dwight still has Daryl's old crossbow. Another thing was that Rosita was looking at that guy like she wasn't sure who it was.

Edited by bamasaintsteve, 20 March 2017 - 04:26 AM.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
  • LocationOttawa

I think it's Dwight.

Dwight makes sense for the story. Dwight offers purpose story wise as well, but doesn't redeem the episode.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

AD VICTORIUM

• Moderators
  • 2,414 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

I voted fair.

I liked most of what occurred at Hilltop.

I think the Maggie and Daryl scene went exactly how it should.
Gregory is behaving how I expect him too.

When Sasha acknowledged that there would be repercussions after their assault on the Saviors, that was when the show basically said that Sasha and Rosita know they are condemning Hilltop to a Savior slaughter. How else does Sasha think that would go down? Her recognition of that made a bad idea even worse.

That's what I was getting at. 

Negan has established himself as the kind of guy who would execute random people at Hilltop and Alexandria- he would do it simply to say 'here's what happens if you pull a stunt like that again." 

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • 4,571 posts

How many Alexandrians have to assault Negan before he starts to suspect  a plot?

Yep, know what you mean. I keep expecting an episode where Father Gabriel has to sit Neean down and inform him that Jesus does NOT want him for a sunbeam.

Edited by backwoodsroamer, 20 March 2017 - 04:39 AM.

kxwjZFU.png

bamasaintsteve

bamasaintsteve

Lurker

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • LocationJasper Alabama

I think it's Dwight.

Dwight makes sense for the story. Dwight offers purpose story wise as well, but doesn't redeem the episode.

I think it's Dwight too I'd almost bet on it.

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members
  • 334 posts

It didn't even occured to me that it would be someone other than Daryl. Didn't even recall that the guy face wasn't seen. Might be someone else then...

tublecane

tublecane

Biter

• Members
  • 968 posts

Yep, know what you mean. I keep expecting an episode where Father Gabriel has to sit Neean down and inform him that Jesus does NOT want him for a sunbeam.

Sunbeams are never made like Negan.

youdizzz

youdizzz

Infected

• Members
  • 24 posts

I voted fair for this episode mostly because I kind of expected more from this episode. I thought we would be seeing more of what happens as Sasha and Rosita infiltrate the Sanctuary. Although there were a few things that I enjoyed watching. They are as follows:

- I like Simon's character. I think he's a better 'Negan' than the actual Negan. His playful threatening vibe is better than the actual Negan's vibe.

- There are things that are finally sorted out, things that people have wondered about, a) like how Rosita is so skilled with stuff and thangs. I mean this because some fans wondered about how Rosita knew how to diffuse bombs. Well, we know where she learned it and it's not from Abraham. b ) Jesus' sexuality. Not that it matters to me, I honestly don't mind whatever Jesus' sexuality is. But some fans ask about it and finally they gave it to them. And I don't actually see Jesus romantically be with anyone. And c) how Maggie feels about Daryl 'causing Glenn's death'. I liked the things that Maggie said.

- I learned something from this episode: Don't call veggies 'veggies' in front of a Savior. LOL

And I think it MAY be Dwight at the end of the episode. I feel like his disloyalty for Negan is going to be manifesting  more before this season ends.

Edited by youdizzz, 20 March 2017 - 05:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!