Photo

Why I Hate Daryl, And Why I Think He Needs To Die.

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Let me preface this post by saying this: I used to like Daryl. I thought  he was interesting and a great character for the first 3 season of the show. 

But, due to his popularity with the ladies (which I honestly don't get because I don't consider Norman Reedus to be a good looking guy in particular) he turned into a complete untouchable cliche'. 

Season 1-3 Daryl had a personality beyond "brooding badass".  He had interesting storylines (Search for Merle, Search for Sofia, building a relationship with Rick and Co... Relationship with a returned Merle / the group)

Now, he's just a carrot to dangle in front of fangirls, and it annoys the fuck out of me. He fucking got Glenn killed and hardly anyone is willing to acknowledge that. They even wrote Maggie on the show as being 100% forgiving and accepting of his extreme idiocy. 

He at this point is considered to be just as safe as Rick and Carl by the fanbase. 

I was hoping for something more to come out of his storyline with being a captive of the Saviors, but lo and behold there he is being a complete fucking idiot wanting to go back to Alexandria with Rick. Being a piece of shit dramatic hero ignoring Ezekiels magnanimity by letting him stay in the kingdom so as to protect his stupid life.

Look. Like I said.. I didn't start off hating Daryl. I used to think his story was interesting. I used to think he could go places (him and Carol, DUH!).. but now, it's so clear that the writers have taken the safe route with him.. he's such a cliche' I can't stand it.

The reason I've felt this way for the past few seasons is this: He needs to die. Bottom line, he's one of the last available shockers until the show decides to introduce another solid character. He should have been Negans victim. 90% of the fan base knew who was going to die in that instance (Glenn). They should have killed him off. But they played it safe to cater to the women who think he's hot, and I'm sorry but that's just such a cop out that it makes me hate his character that much more.

"If Daryl dies we riot" is probably the lamest shit I've ever heard in my life. 

Guess what happened in a good show that I loved? Jack died. Sawyer ended up regretting a ton of decisions and most likely died alone. Jin and Sun fucking drowned. John Locke was backstabbed and strangled to death. Charlie drowned.   Yikes, that's a lot of fan favorites that had SHITTY endings if you think about it. 

My point? Quit being cowards and do something with Daryl other than perpetuate the cliche' that he's become. He's literally become one of the most predictable and worst characters on the show, and it drives me nuts. 

You don't want to kill him? Give him something else to do. His storyline with Beth was way more interesting than the crap he's been through lately. His stay with the saviors was as predictable as Carls with Negan. Though that was more intense considering Carl is still a kid. 

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationFlorida
I agree that Daryl's character has become the male equivilant of the big tittied anime girl, and certainly his plot armor has gone past comic and bordered nearly on *cartoonish* I also think a timely and suitable exit from the show is in order.

I do disagree with you a few times. Daryl wanting to return home makes allot of sense. He was kidnapped, pyschologically tortured ( like literally... text book case of brainwashing right out of the CIA's or KGB's handbook) and is still reeling. Any normal person not only would want, but NEED to be with family right now.
Again... maybe Maggie forgave him because he's not the one who killed Glenn. The raving douche with the bat did. There was nothing to forgive.

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray thee Lord these bites aren't deep.
Should I die before I wake, I pray thee Lord, my skull they break.

etphoto

etphoto

Biter

• Members
  • 877 posts

First off, it was Negan that killed Glenn, not Daryl.  This "blame everyone except the asshole" time we live in drives me nuts.  That put aside, I don't know if would use the "term" hate, however, I do agree that Daryl's character might have run its course and maybe he needs to take the path the Morgan character took, leave for a season or two and then come back.  Maybe he and Carol need to walk away and come back to give the show some energy when its needed.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

AD VICTORIUM

• Moderators
  • 2,414 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

You could make the same argument for SEVERAL characters in the comic and at least one other character on the TV show.

Spoiler

You could just as easily argue that "the show is scared to kill Carol because they're pandering to women who are in the 40 plus demographic who love the idea of a 40 plus female badass." 

No one ever makes these arguments of course because the complaints have nothing to do with character longevity or pandering. This is an argument that mostly comes from comic book purists who hate Daryl for being a popular character who isn't in the comics. 

There's countless threads like this with the same subject line and its always the same tired argument that could easily be applied to any number of characters and yet it never is.

I'm not against killing off  Daryl but I find these threads  ridiculous because they come from comic readers who willfully ignore how the comic has become timid about killing longstanding characters and instead kills red shirts. 

That's right I said it: the comic shies away from killing fan favorites and kills off red shirts instead.

Spoiler

Oh those characters might have their fan clubs, but don't dare tell me that any of them are "A-list" characters because they aren't. 

Clearly the comic has been avoiding killing off A-list types and this is routinely ignored by everyone who ever created a "Daryl Must Die" thread. 

Edited by Deadpelican, 14 February 2017 - 02:48 PM.

As far as I'm concerned, you're dead. You were perused and slain by this Brotherhood knight, and your remains were incinerated.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members
  • 1,909 posts

I'm just a guy so take my opinion on Norman Reedus' looks with a grain of salt, though my wife agrees, I find him to be fugly and don't get the fan girl thing AT ALL.

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationThe Tardis

I'm just a guy so take my opinion on Norman Reedus' looks with a grain of salt, though my wife agrees, I find him to be fugly and don't get the fan girl thing AT ALL.

I don't either tbh. Never understood it actually. 

WhiteChocolate

WhiteChocolate

Lurker

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Kirkman comes off as afraid to kill a major character since Glenn died and this trend continues in the comic. Sure there are some surpises but no one that would really shake things up a bit. Killing Daryl is probably not going to happen on the show considering the ratings dive this season and the notion that he's the reason people watch.

It's almost like Kirkman met with Vince McMahon and decided to create a John Cena-esq character on the show: an underdog that isn't really an underdog that gets the ladies excited. All at the expense of the hardcore fanbase.

XBOX One Gamertag: ROFbaggingU.  Blackops 3 Zombies mode: easter egg hunter.

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

First off, it was Negan that killed Glenn, not Daryl. This "blame everyone except the asshole" time we live in drives me nuts. That put aside, I don't know if would use the "term" hate, however, I do agree that Daryl's character might have run its course and maybe he needs to take the path the Morgan character took, leave for a season or two and then come back. Maybe he and Carol need to walk away and come back to give the show some energy when its needed.

I'm not saying that Negan didn't kill Glenn. Obviously he's the one who did it, but he warned them all that something would happen.

Daryl took a stupid, silly risk by "being Daryl" and that thoughtless selfish pointless act resulted in Glenn unnecessarily losing his life. But this is really a whole different debate I suppose.

Edited by thelastpaul, 14 February 2017 - 04:30 PM.

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."

mac1425

mac1425

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 109 posts

He needs to take a friggin shower. 

tublecane

tublecane

Biter

• Members
  • 968 posts

You could make the same argument for SEVERAL characters in the comic and at least one other character on the TV show.

Spoiler

You could just as easily argue that "the show is scared to kill Carol because they're pandering to women who are in the 40 plus demographic who love the idea of a 40 plus female badass." 

No one ever makes these arguments of course because the complaints have nothing to do with character longevity or pandering.

Carol is not really comparable. Firstly, because though she is one of the four most popular characters, she's not nearly so popular as Daryl. Just look at the ad campaigns.

Secondly, because the problem with her character is very nearly the opposite of Daryl's. She's had too much development. Whereas Daryl's barely a person anymore, just a packet of one liners and the occasional feelz, Carol is like five characters in one.

Even so, they often pull her back from the action for extended periods, to the detriment of the show. Daryl isn't given dramatic material very often, but he's usually there, being Daryl.

Finally, though both are unrealistic badasses, Daryl is much less realistic. He stopped a tank with a hand grenade in the middle of a battle. We must never forget that.

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • 18,614 posts
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ

Kirkman comes off as afraid to kill a major character since Glenn died and this trend continues in the comic. Sure there are some surpises but no one that would really shake things up a bit. Killing Daryl is probably not going to happen on the show considering the ratings dive this season and the notion that he's the reason people watch.

It's almost like Kirkman met with Vince McMahon and decided to create a John Cena-esq character on the show: an underdog that isn't really an underdog that gets the ladies excited. All at the expense of the hardcore fanbase.

I thought Daryl and Merle were creations of Frank Darabont?

tublecane

tublecane

Biter

• Members
  • 968 posts

Let me preface this post by saying this: I used to like Daryl. I thought  he was interesting and a great character for the first 3 season of the show

I want to say that's when they stopped developing his character. He pretty much finished being interesting after Merle died. But there was an exception, briefly, when he was with the Claimers, when Daryl became interesting again. That was an excellent storyline.

I thought they'd try something like that with the Saviors, but no. Instead they did nothing. (With Daryl, that is. They did develop Dwight, who could turn into a great character with the right care.)

BigEd

BigEd

Infected

• Members
  • 846 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

He needs to take a friggin shower. 

LOL! +1  Was the first thing that came to my mind. Daryl find a shallow stream and lay down in it for at least 10 minutes...

Late back in the game. Just watched this episode this morning... Was plowing from Sunday through to Monday afternoon.

Repaired 2 snowblowers and another plow when it was all over. Commercial snow removal sucks... End rant... (sips beer)

BigEd

BigEd

Infected

• Members
  • 846 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I want to say that's when they stopped developing his character. He pretty much finished being interesting after Merle died. But there was an exception, briefly, when he was with the Claimers, when Daryl became interesting again. That was an excellent storyline.

I thought they'd try something like that with the Saviors, but no. Instead they did nothing. (With Daryl, that is. They did develop Dwight, who could turn into a great character with the right care.)

I think whenever he (or anyone else really) "opens up" and tells a story about his or her past, they become more interesting. It flushes out the character, and makes one "relate", empathy or apathy.

mADAM Scorpious

mADAM Scorpious

Biter

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationChemical Valley, Canada eh!

reedus is fugly but he's super attractive as daryl, more attractive than characters played by actors who are more attractive than reedus. why? because he has the skills that can keep a family alive and fed and he's got heart.

i wish he wouldve been killed instead of glenn. 

deadpelican, have you read the comic threads lately? everyone complained that the most major death in the whisperer war was 

Spoiler
and that he's only killing red shirts, and that we haven't been given enough page time to care about anyone else. people are hoping rick dies just so the comic becomes interesting again, and the remaining pre asz characters (aside from negan, dwight, jesus, aaron, dante, and sutton) are the only characters developed enough to have a story worth reading about. also i wouldnt say keeping carol alive is pandering to the 40+ female fans, she's just one of the shows most developed characters and her journey isn't over yet whereas daryl hasn't had a good storyline since merle's death and they set him up for interesting things but fall short because they tease us with the idea of him doing something (love story with beth, chilling with the claimers as tublecane mentioned, or being tortured beyond listening to easy street on repeat and mopping up pee)  but play it safe instead.

Edited by mADAM Scorpious, 14 February 2017 - 09:20 PM.

Madam Scorpious <~<133€
http://nythe-scorpious.blogspot.ca/

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

AD VICTORIUM

• Moderators
  • 2,414 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

i wouldnt say keeping carol alive is pandering to the 40+ female fans, she's just one of the shows most developed characters and her journey isn't over yet whereas daryl hasn't had a good storyline since merle's death and they set him up for interesting things but fall short because they tease us with the idea of him doing something (love story with beth, chilling with the claimers as tublecane mentioned, or being tortured beyond listening to easy street on repeat and mopping up pee)  but play it safe instead.

I didn't say they were keeping Carol alive to appease women who are 40 plus. I was just giving an example of the absurd logic behind the "kill Daryl" crowd's argument. 

Buy saying that they were pandering to the 40 plus female demographic, I was just randomly  pulling stuff out of my ass about why the won't kill Carol- because that's exactly what the "kill Daryl" crowd does 

The OP wrote that "they played it safe to cater to the women who think he's hot." 

That's a statement that is routinely stated but no proof is ever provided because it can't be proven. 

Edited by Deadpelican, 14 February 2017 - 10:06 PM.

As far as I'm concerned, you're dead. You were perused and slain by this Brotherhood knight, and your remains were incinerated.

mADAM Scorpious

mADAM Scorpious

Biter

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

I didn't say they were keeping Carol alive to appease women who are 40 plus. I was just giving an example of the absurd logic behind the "kill Daryl" crowd's argument. 

Buy saying that they were pandering to the 40 plus female demographic, I was just randomly  pulling stuff out of my ass about why the won't kill Carol- because that's exactly what the "kill Daryl" crowd does 

The OP wrote that "they played it safe to cater to the women who think he's hot." 

That's a statement that is routinely stated but no proof is ever provided because it can't be proven. 

okay sorry to misquote you on that. true it cant be proven without someone from the creative team stating it implicitly but it is fair to assume hes only alive as eye candy because he does very little for the plot, hasnt developed in seasons, and still gets screen time when other boring characters get backburnered.

Madam Scorpious <~<133€

WhiteChocolate

WhiteChocolate

Lurker

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Maybe so, I'm not fully versed in all the behind the scenes stuff. But considering it's Kirkman's story I'm sure my statement isn't too far of a stretch.

XBOX One Gamertag: ROFbaggingU.  Blackops 3 Zombies mode: easter egg hunter.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

AD VICTORIUM

• Moderators
  • 2,414 posts
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Kirkman comes off as afraid to kill a major character since Glenn died and this trend continues in the comic.  

Exactly right and that is my point. 

Yeah, they are afraid to kill off Daryl.  But this isn't isolated to his character nor is it isolated to the TV show.  It's clear to me in the comic that Kirkman is very hesitant to kill off 

Spoiler

And yet I ONLY see griping about such things applied to Daryl and the TV show. 

If they are afraid to kill Daryl, then they also must be afraid to kill off Carol, Michonne, and Maggie because they have been around for about the same amount of time.  But I never see threads complaining that they haven't been killed off. 

I've seen numerous threads like that about Daryl though, saying he's 'bullet proof,' etc. 

You could argue that ANY character from seasons one and and two and is still alive is bullet proof. 

Edited by Deadpelican, 15 February 2017 - 04:10 PM.

Metaphor

Metaphor

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • LocationPanama

Spoiler

No one ever makes these arguments of course because the complaints have nothing to do with character longevity or pandering. This is an argument that mostly comes from comic book purists who hate Daryl for being a popular character who isn't in the comics. 

There's countless threads like this with the same subject line and its always the same tired argument that could easily be applied to any number of characters and yet it never is.

I'm not against killing off  Daryl but I find these threads  ridiculous because they come from comic readers who willfully ignore how the comic has become timid about killing longstanding characters and instead kills red shirts. 

That's right I said it: the comic shies away from killing fan favorites and kills off red shirts instead.

Spoiler

Oh those characters might have their fan clubs, but don't dare tell me that any of them are "A-list" characters because they aren't. 

Clearly the comic has been avoiding killing off A-list types and this is routinely ignored by everyone who ever created a "Daryl Must Die" thread.

Totally agree. The Daryl equivalents in the comics are women. Most of the comic readers are men? If the answer is yes , more to your point.

mADAM Scorpious

mADAM Scorpious

Biter

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Exactly right and that is my point. 

Yeah, they are afraid to kill off Daryl.  But this isn't isolated to his character nor is it isolated to the TV show.  It's clear to me in the comic that Kirkman is very hesitant to kill off 

Spoiler

And yet I ONLY see griping about such things applied to Daryl and the TV show. 

If they are afraid to kill Daryl, then they also must be afraid to kill off Carol, Michonne, and Maggie because they have been around for about the same amount of time.  But I never see threads complaining that they haven't been killed off. 

I've seen numerous threads like that about Daryl though, saying he's 'bullet proof,' etc. 

You could argue that ANY character from seasons one and is still alive is bullet proof. 

i would argue that while kirkman has been afraid to kill off any major character since issue 100,

Spoiler

i think michonne and maggie are still around strictly because

Spoiler
, and the same goes for carol as she has taken
Spoiler
place as one of the original four from atlanta.

while you could make that argument about any surviving character in the show, its much more glaringly true for daryl when there are instances like what happened in chupacabra, where daryl was passed out and a walker decided to nibble on his shoe instead of eating him and other characters like dale get bitten by a walker who has seemingly teleported directly behind the character and attacked them when the entire horizon was zombieless two seconds earlier. 

Edited by mADAM Scorpious, 15 February 2017 - 09:46 AM.

Madam Scorpious <~<133€

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationFlorida
^^^^^ Damned extra dimensional walkers.

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray thee Lord these bites aren't deep.
Should I die before I wake, I pray thee Lord, my skull they break.

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Wouldn't it be kind of funny if Daryl was killed by one of those Ninja zombies?

I mean, I know it would be a horrible way to take the character out.. but cmon, let's face it. It would be kind of funny just based on the sheer disappointment and shock the fan base would feel. 

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members
  • 334 posts

He killed Fat Joey. Now, because of him, skinny Joey is just Joey. Daryl must pay for that. Bonus point if just Joey deliver the killing blow.

mADAM Scorpious

mADAM Scorpious

Biter

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

they are supposed to be

Spoiler
right?

Madam Scorpious <~<133€

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!