Photo

Walking Dead Season 3, Episodes 1 And 2 Thoughts (Spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hi. I was curious if anyone has played / been playing episode 1 and 2 of the new season? 

I just finished both and I have to say, so far I'm not very impressed. 

I feel like there's been less to do, and I'm VERY annoyed that this new character is getting much more play time than Clementine. As far as I'm concerned, the Walking Dead TellTale series is ALL ABOUT CLEM.

I like Javier enough up to this point but to end Season 2 the way we did and then not have her be the main focus, or at least half of of the focus thus far... ugh. 

The first two episodes also seemed reallllllly short in comparison with previous seasons. 

I'm hoping that episode 3 is evenly split between Clementine and Javier and give us about twice as much gameplay. 

On a positive note, most of the horrendous technical issues that made me laugh at TellTale in the previous two seasons seem to be gone. Though I did hilariously see a scowling Clementine in a cutscene that she shouldn't have been in based on my choice at one point. 

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • 5,833 posts

I actually think it was a good choice to give the protag role to someone other than Clem. I do find Javi a bit boring but he's fine. The idea itself to make Clem the secondary character was a good one I think because one of my biggest problems with season 2 was how the plot became so dumb in the way it had to revolve around Clem for her to make the choices

That's about the only plus I can say about this game. I think it's terrible so far

I was wondering why Telltale was bothering with a Season 3 but I figured hey, they had two years to work on this one. Maybe they thought of something new and different. Maybe they'll really impress me this time around. The zombie genre is kind of stale now but that doesn't mean its drained of ideas

Nope. Season 3 is using the same formula of Season 1 that Season 2 already drove straight into the ground. Shocking moments are no longer shocking because they're completely expected. Decisions feel so meaningless at this point that I'm deliberately being an asshole just so I can squeeze whatever fun I can out of my playthrough. The new characters are absolutely lifeless target signs with paint by numbers "complexity." And worst of all, episodes 1 and 2 combined aren't as long as some other episodes that Telltale have put out. That's sad

When running into the rednecks at the beginning of episode 1, I was thinking "Ok, so typical group that we encounter first just to show off the new gameplay engine." Then Clem called them the New Frontier. WHAT. THEY'RE the villains?! THEY get the title of the game?! You gotta be shitting me

Telltale can still be good (Borderlands, though Telltale should get rid of their walking around sections entirely because they're terrible in every game). The writing in this one is not only predictable and lazy but borderline incompetent at parts. I am BORED of this series. At least Season 2 had Carver and Kenny

"It’s positively mindboggling when you realise that you’re sat through yet another identical sequence where you’re separated from your (in-fighting, OF COURSE) group, and a stranger puts a gun to the back of your head and wants to talk threats. REALLY?! Again?! I can’t even imagine the writing process, where they sit down in a room and say, “Wait, everyone, I’ve got an idea!”

“No, me first!” shouts someone else, before pitching the notion that they could have one of the group suddenly pull a gun on someone else in the group and then the player have to choose a side!

HOW?! How are these the major plot beats twelve sodding episodes into this? And there’s nothing else besides it. It’s exactly the same bland drivel, but with even less humanity to make any of it feel worthwhile."

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yeah season 2 did feel a bit corny at times when major decisions boiled down to scared adults asking Clementine what to do lol. But I still enjoyed the story and thought that the characters were great. 

I think that the young boy in this game is a better version of Ben from season 1. I hated Ben and dropped him when I had the choice lol. 

The girl dying in the beginning was actually pretty surprising to me to be honest, and I was satisfied with that moment in the game. 

Wasn't too stoked on the back and forth bullshit between the two groups, considering that The New Frontier had previously made up their minds that they were going to kill all of them, so why the fuck didn't they just put a bullet into Javi when they had him at the airport place? Felt a bit lame story-wise. 

I liked the ending of episode 2 a lot I gotta say, and I am curious to see what happened to the baby Clem was with.

We already know that Javi or Clem will kill his brother, who was already a piece of shit and is clearly the new Carver this season. 

I'm not interested in Jesus character what-so-ever and feel like he's taking away screen time from other, NEW characters that could be developed. 

Is it just me or is Kennys voice actor voicing the leader guy at the airport? I'm terrible with names lol

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."

SuperNeos2

SuperNeos2

Lurker

• Members
  • 293 posts
I'm still pissed at how they just carelessly and lazily tossed Kenny (and Jane) off to the side and resolved that loose end in five minute in a flashback. Don't get me wrong, I actually liked what happened with Kenny as it fit his character to do what he did there, but it just reinforced how our choices don't matter.

Even if Telltale couldn't make five separate stories for the five endings, they could've easily made the first episode this season different depending on which ending you picked and then worked their way up to the ending where you reach the same outcome. At least then we'd get five different beginnings for the season that increases replay value

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I just saw what they did to Kenny and Jane, and that's super disappointing indeed.

I had to youtube those endings because in my playthrough of season 2 I killed Kenny to save Jane, and when I found out Jane purposefully instigated that whole situation, I left her and ended up alone.  

That really is sad that your choices are seemingly erased. I mean, jeeze at least keep the character and have them die off at some point in episode 2 or something depending on what you chose, through causes of the actual story that's progressing. 

That's just lazy writing or whatever in my opinion. 

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • 5,833 posts

Yeah season 2 did feel a bit corny at times when major decisions boiled down to scared adults asking Clementine what to do lol. But I still enjoyed the story and thought that the characters were great. 

I think that the young boy in this game is a better version of Ben from season 1. I hated Ben and dropped him when I had the choice lol. 

The girl dying in the beginning was actually pretty surprising to me to be honest, and I was satisfied with that moment in the game. 

Wasn't too stoked on the back and forth bullshit between the two groups, considering that The New Frontier had previously made up their minds that they were going to kill all of them, so why the fuck didn't they just put a bullet into Javi when they had him at the airport place? Felt a bit lame story-wise. 

I liked the ending of episode 2 a lot I gotta say, and I am curious to see what happened to the baby Clem was with.

We already know that Javi or Clem will kill his brother, who was already a piece of shit and is clearly the new Carver this season. 

I'm not interested in Jesus character what-so-ever and feel like he's taking away screen time from other, NEW characters that could be developed. 

Is it just me or is Kennys voice actor voicing the leader guy at the airport? I'm terrible with names lol

Are you talking about Tripp as the leader of the airport? No, he has a different VA from Kenny

But yes Season 2 definitely had better characters. And me personally but I wasn't satisfied with Maria getting shot in the head. I didn't see it coming but I wasn't suprised, if that makes sense. If Telltale truly wants to surprise me at this point then they need more than a shock death. Was honestly more surprised when we came back to the junkyard and everybody was alive

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

Léon Degrelle

Léon Degrelle

Infected

• Banned
  • 16 posts

If you are a time traveler or alien disguised as human and or have the technology to travel physically through time I need your help!

My life has been severely tampered with and cursed!!

I have suffered tremendously and am now dying!

I need to be able to:

Travel back in time.

Rewind my life including my age back to 4.

Be able to remember what I know now so that I can prevent my life from being tampered with again after I go back.

I am in very great danger and need this immediately!

I am aware that there are many types of time travel, and that humans do not do well through certain types.

I need as close to temporal reversion as possible, as safely as possible. To be able to rewind the hands of time in such a way that the universe of now will cease to exist.

I know that there are some very powerful people out there with alien or government equipment capable of doing just that.

If you can help me I will pay for your teleport or trip down here, Along with hotel stay, food and all expenses. I will pay top dollar for the equipment. Proof must be provided.

Also if you are one of the very few beings with the ability to edit the universe PLEASE REPLY!!!

Only if you have this technology and can help me please send me a (SEPARATE) email to:

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

If you are a time traveler or alien disguised as human and or have the technology to travel physically through time I need your help!

My life has been severely tampered with and cursed!!

I have suffered tremendously and am now dying!

I need to be able to:

Travel back in time.

Rewind my life including my age back to 4.

Be able to remember what I know now so that I can prevent my life from being tampered with again after I go back.

I am in very great danger and need this immediately!

I am aware that there are many types of time travel, and that humans do not do well through certain types.

I need as close to temporal reversion as possible, as safely as possible. To be able to rewind the hands of time in such a way that the universe of now will cease to exist.

I know that there are some very powerful people out there with alien or government equipment capable of doing just that.

If you can help me I will pay for your teleport or trip down here, Along with hotel stay, food and all expenses. I will pay top dollar for the equipment. Proof must be provided.

Also if you are one of the very few beings with the ability to edit the universe PLEASE REPLY!!!

Only if you have this technology and can help me please send me a (SEPARATE) email to:

My god... I HAVE THE ABILITY. REACH ME AT www.trollcenter.net ... entitle the email: TIMETROLL and I WILL RESPOND AND HELP YOU. 

I THOUGHT I WAS ALONE, BUT NOW I REALIZE THAT THIS VAST RANDOM UNIVERSE SERVES A SINGULAR PURPOSE AND WE ARE ON THAT PATH TOWARDS THAT PURPOSE MY BROTHER.

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationFlorida

My god... I HAVE THE ABILITY. REACH ME AT www.trollcenter.net ... entitle the email: TIMETROLL and I WILL RESPOND AND HELP YOU.

I THOUGHT I WAS ALONE, BUT NOW I REALIZE THAT THIS VAST RANDOM UNIVERSE SERVES A SINGULAR PURPOSE AND WE ARE ON THAT PATH TOWARDS THAT PURPOSE MY BROTHER.

Ha!!!

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray thee Lord these bites aren't deep.
Should I die before I wake, I pray thee Lord, my skull they break.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!