Issue #158 Review

- - - - - Issue 158 Review Rick Negan Whisperer War

Rasmus

Rasmus

Infected

• Members

I have a feeling this is all leading to the fall of Alexandria and a road trip to Ohio. 

Probably. I'm of two minds when it comes to this. On the one hand, I would love for the story to explore a new area and to have that sense of adventure and exploration that only the roadtrips provide. But on the other hand, if the story is supposed to be about rebuilding society, this is going to be a huge step back for the story on that front. I guess the move to Ohio could propel such an advancement even further, though? Or Alexandria could remain, but in shambles, and a large party (but not all of them) go to Ohio for one reason or another.

DHeav60

DHeav60

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

But a sizeable horde could've knocked the tower over if he was detected by the horde. Had he kept quiet and tried to stay out of sight there was a chance he could've survived undetected.

I highly doubt it.   The Whisperers can "guide" the herd, but they cannot control their actions.  

Even if you had 100 of the strongest men on earth - they wouldn't be able to bring the tower down just by pushing against it. 

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.

Probably. I'm of two minds when it comes to this. On the one hand, I would love for the story to explore a new area and to have that sense of adventure and exploration that only the roadtrips provide. But on the other hand, if the story is supposed to be about rebuilding society, this is going to be a huge step back for the story on that front. I guess the move to Ohio could propel such an advancement even further, though? Or Alexandria could remain, but in shambles, and a large party (but not all of them) go to Ohio for one reason or another.

Who knows Ohio could be way more "advanced" than Alexandria as they clearly have technology(radios) most dont have. 

How many great city's have been destroyed over man`s history of building societies? 

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

Rasmus

Rasmus

Infected

• Members

Who knows Ohio could be way more "advanced" than Alexandria as they clearly have technology(radios) most dont have. 

How many great city's have been destroyed over man`s history of building societies? 

True, and that's more or less what I meant by this being a possible move forward for the story. Either way, I think The Walking Dead desperately needs a change of scenery, so I am more inclined to welcome a little roadtrip.

WhiteChocolate

WhiteChocolate

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationDallas TX

I highly doubt it.   The Whisperers can "guide" the herd, but they cannot control their actions.  

Even if you had 100 of the strongest men on earth - they wouldn't be able to bring the tower down just by pushing against it. 

They might not be able to control the herd, but the herd could hear FG scream. Thus, the herd would be attracted to the tower. Herds seem to have no issue tearing down walls once alerted so I'd assume they would knock over the water tower.

As for the Ohio group, it looks like if Hilltop and Alexandria fall...it appears the Saviors and Kingdom would discriminate against the survivors and not take them in. That right there is plenty of reason for Hilltop/Alexandria refugees to flee toward Ohio.

XBOX One Gamertag: ROFbaggingU.  Blackops 3 Zombies mode: easter egg hunter.

DHeav60

DHeav60

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

They might not be able to control the herd, but the herd could hear FG scream. Thus, the herd would be attracted to the tower. Herds seem to have no issue tearing down walls once alerted so I'd assume they would knock over the water tower.

Think of the physics of it. How many zombies (or people) for that matter can push on an huge steal beam at once? The force a heard of zombies uses to knock over a wall doesn't translate into knocking over brick and mortar buildings or massive steel structures like a water tower.

No, FG was the safest person in the battle. Kirkman needed a named death to start the war, and also needed to bolster Beta's villain cred... I think the zombie devouring panels were pretty cool (although if someone fell that far and got their leg caught on a rung so close to the ground - his leg would probably have just been ripped off and he would have died from the fall).

WhiteChocolate

WhiteChocolate

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationDallas TX

No I get your point I really do. There are water towers near me that are thick as hell. The reason I think the zombies could've toppled the FG tower was because the base looked rather thin...like one of those old water towers you see in a small town.

If it were one of those heavy duty towers I definitely see how FG would've been the safest in battle. Problem is, killing FG hardly boosted Beta's credibility because FG wasn't that great of a character or even loved. Now killing Aaron instead of him surviving from being stabbed with a gigantic knife would've boosted that credibility more.

Rasmus

Rasmus

Infected

• Members

Now killing Aaron instead of him surviving from being stabbed with a gigantic knife would've boosted that credibility more.

True. It kind of makes me wonder what Beta can even do to be cemented as a credible major antagonist in The Walking Dead. Kirkman already threw out Alpha; he wouldn't really just do that again with Beta, would he? That's part of why I feel his face-off with Negan next issue will get interrupted. I think a good question would be: who does Beta have to kill to go down in TWD history as a "bad motherfucker"?

SuperNeos2

SuperNeos2

Lurker

• Members

True. It kind of makes me wonder what Beta can even do to be cemented as a credible major antagonist in The Walking Dead. Kirkman already threw out Alpha; he wouldn't really just do that again with Beta, would he? That's part of why I feel his face-off with Negan next issue will get interrupted. I think a good question would be: who does Beta have to kill to go down in TWD history as a "bad motherfucker"?

Andrea or Michonne. Those two will add instant credibility to Beta's reputation/status as a villain if he takes one of them out.

WhiteChocolate

WhiteChocolate

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationDallas TX

If Negan actually kills Beta next issue, he would've lasted as long as the hunters did. It would be a funny troll if that huge motherfuckers claim to fame is killing off FG.

Rasmus

Rasmus

Infected

• Members

Well, yeah. Any of the pre-Alexandrian 7 being taken down would make a big impact (in fact, the 7 along with Negan and maybe Jesus are arguably the ONLY ones whose murder could give Beta any sort of status), but I am also trying to factor in what's likely. It's starting to seem like Kirkman has cold feet about killing certain characters. Andrea and Jesus are the most likely, and I'm not sold on the latter's death being *that* big of a deal.

Rick's time has simply not come, Carl and Sophia are endgame, and Michonne and Negan are wayyyyy too popular for Kirkman to kill them off.

Maggie appears to be too far removed from the action (but maybe another horde arrives at the Hilltop?) and Eugene is needed for the Ohio storyline.

Andrea's death would hurt like hell to the characters and the fans, and yet she isn't quite as iconic as Negan or Michonne, so it seems possible. I really hope she doesn't, though.

Jesus' death wouldn't impact the fans quite as much on an emotional level, but when you consider how unrealistically overpowered he is, it would make Beta pretty impressive if he took him down using fair tactics.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

Well, yeah. Any of the pre-Alexandrian 7 being taken down would make a big impact (in fact, the 7 along with Negan and maybe Jesus are arguably the ONLY ones whose murder could give Beta any sort of status), but I am also trying to factor in what's likely. It's starting to seem like Kirkman has cold feet about killing certain characters. Andrea and Jesus are the most likely, and I'm not sold on the latter's death being *that* big of a deal.

Rick's time has simply not come, Carl and Sophia are endgame, and Michonne and Negan are wayyyyy too popular for Kirkman to kill them off.

Maggie appears to be too far removed from the action (but maybe another horde arrives at the Hilltop?) and Eugene is needed for the Ohio storyline.

Andrea's death would hurt like hell to the characters and the fans, and yet she isn't quite as iconic as Negan or Michonne, so it seems possible. I really hope she doesn't, though.

Jesus' death wouldn't impact the fans quite as much on an emotional level, but when you consider how unrealistically overpowered he is, it would make Beta pretty impressive if he took him down using fair tactics.

Ricks time up is now or slightly after this. power has gotten to him and RL doesn't like to kill favorites? glenn was a favorite and he died....and that was blow to a lot of people.

Kingdom and saviors seem like they are going their separate ways. Hilltop and ASZ look like they will fall and those groups could possibly end up going to ohio.

euge not telling Rick about ohio seems to be the best thing. with Negan knowing almost everything. if they both places do fall it would. be a good place to go to get away from Negan.

idk if they will fall...I'm iffy about the whole thing. however, i feel the "ohio" group is another enemy in disguise. a womans voice is easier to open up to then another male. if it was a guy euge wouldn't have opened up so much.

Rasmus

Rasmus

Infected

• Members

Ricks time up is now or slightly after this. power has gotten to him and RL doesn't like to kill favorites? glenn was a favorite and he died....and that was blow to a lot of people.

Kingdom and saviors seem like they are going their separate ways. Hilltop and ASZ look like they will fall and those groups could possibly end up going to ohio.

euge not telling Rick about ohio seems to be the best thing. with Negan knowing almost everything. if they both places do fall it would. be a good place to go to get away from Negan.

idk if they will fall...I'm iffy about the whole thing. however, i feel the "ohio" group is another enemy in disguise. a womans voice is easier to open up to then another male. if it was a guy euge wouldn't have opened up so much.

I am open to the possibility that Rick could die in this arc or one coming up; I just don't think it is that likely. If I end up being wrong, I'll gladly accept that.

Well, I'm not saying RK has never killed favorites - of course he has. It just seems that, as of late, he has been much more apprehensive. Glenn was indeed a fan favorite, but that was almost 60 issues ago. Who have we lost on that level since then? Maybe if the crew is on the road for a bit, it will allow smaller characters to become "A-listers" that we care about, which I would welcome.

TurokJoe

TurokJoe

Infected

• Members
Crazy spoiler time
Each issue a major charater dies or some horrific thing happens to the dismantle what's been built up for so long. It is possible either the saviours or the Kingdom have a huge cataclysmic surprise battle and fall. Scairing the crap out of the other towns. Bata doesn't have to be around for his troops to complete the task he has instructed them to do. I see the whisperers as fanatical religious groups. They are all sheep and lead astray by false ideas.
I love the trill ride kirkman lays down and I trust he will make a good story and so far he has.
I personally hope Negan redeems him self and continues with the group.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

I am open to the possibility that Rick could die in this arc or one coming up; I just don't think it is that likely. If I end up being wrong, I'll gladly accept that.

Well, I'm not saying RK has never killed favorites - of course he has. It just seems that, as of late, he has been much more apprehensive. Glenn was indeed a fan favorite, but that was almost 60 issues ago. Who have we lost on that level since then? Maybe if the crew is on the road for a bit, it will allow smaller characters to become "A-listers" that we care about, which I would welcome.

Rick should go though. i mean some points he's likable but lately he hasn't been. as for not killing favorites. there is a point where killing the most popular characters become stale and boring and the shock factor no longer exsists. people complained during AOW, that nobody major died. chances are more will in this war or the next one. some of these people are ones nobody cares about so RK is just making room for new characters.

WhiteChocolate

WhiteChocolate

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationDallas TX

I think Rick's time as leader is coming to an end, although he may not necessarily die.

People tend to rally around the leader on the battlefield, which was exactly how Rick became leader. Nowadays Negan is being positioned to fill that role. If Negan does in fact manage to kill Beta halfway into the war he will literally be the Savior. Negan would not only win over Dwight and the army, but also any Whisperers that saw him kill the Alpha and the Beta.

Meanwhile, Rick has fallen into the role of sneaky politician whether or not it was his intention, because he needs to keep certain info away from his people (like how Eugene needs to keep Ohio on the DL).

This opens the door for Rick to get pushed aside. It is just a matter of if he survives it or not. Would be interesting to see how RIck would fare on a potential Ohio journey.

Rasmus

Rasmus

Infected

• Members

Rick should go though. i mean some points he's likable but lately he hasn't been. as for not killing favorites. there is a point where killing the most popular characters become stale and boring and the shock factor no longer exsists. people complained during AOW, that nobody major died. chances are more will in this war or the next one. some of these people are ones nobody cares about so RK is just making room for new characters.

I still find Rick likable, but in a very different way than I used to. I don't think likability should play a factor in whether a character needs to go or not.

I agree that killing popular characters just for the sake of it is problematic. I don't want that, but I do like it when significant things happen in the story, and meaningful deaths are one of those things. Let's just hope that RK isn't exaggerating when he talks about how significant this arc will be. So far, I believe him, but I am very curious what will happen along the way.

It's people

It's people

Infected

• Members
  • LocationItaly

Good start of the war, looking forward to next issue and Negan is perfect in that spot!

If that final #157 page panel theory was correct (one lives, one dies) , this would mean that D. is safe as he was paired with Gabriel.

No going back.

hotdogabel

hotdogabel

Infected

• Members

I very much appreciated the story telling in this issue.  I enjoyed Father Garbriel's death, pretty much what you would expect from his character pre-whispers.  He had one job, and he choked and well. . . this was proabably my favorite death. 

I thought the pacing worked well between the action scenes and the different communities.  The Kingdom is still an ally, but for how long with the power struggle.  Seaside seems stretched thin, and the Saviors have made their decision. Is Sherry their leader? The Hilltop and Alexandria are all in, and what they heck is Eugene up to?  I think he's got some ideas for weapon specifically made to combat the Whispers.  

In this issue we got to see Michonne riding horseback with a machine gun!  That was bad ass!, and yeah, Jesus did a back flip off of a horse into a horde of undead and Whispers, but I'm okay with that because that just who his character is!

But my favorite part of the entire issue had to be those last three pages.  Beta McTwoKnive slashing, sneaking, lurking and taunting from behind zombies, only to be fall to Negan.  

And finally, even though I really like how far Negan has come ( and he did have some pretty good lines in this one) I'm afraid that he might be the next of our A List character to bite the big one.  Damn, he gets a gun, has his "chance" to kill Dwight, doesn't, saves Dwight and then delivers that final line. . . I do believe that he's a goner.  

I think Kirkman has brought Negan's story full circle.  I just hope I'm satisfied with his death, because I really do like Negan.

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCalifornia

If they're going to kill Negan off by having him save someone, it should be saving Rick. Maybe Alexandria falls but Negan saves/helps Rick and Andrea get away, or something like that. 

For him to die for Dwight.. that would feel pretty lame. 

Bit > Lurker > Roamer > Put down by Scott Gimple. Goodbye R&L

samus88

samus88

Lurker

• Members

I don't think Negan's going anywhere... I mean, there's still 7 "issues" of Here's Negan. It'd be pretty lame if they keep releasing that when Negan's already gone.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!