Issue #158 Review

- - - - - Issue 158 Review Rick Negan Whisperer War

ThatEpicBeast U Know

ThatEpicBeast U Know

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationVermont

Here's the review thread for Issue #158: The Whisperer War part 2!

Reaction to first 3 pages...

Spoiler

Enough said.

Comment away, everyone.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube....suSrDxf3qF6z34w (Epic A)

Soaked_Pancakes

Soaked_Pancakes

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanadensis, Pennsylvania

Wow, what a shame to lose all of those redshirts that I've never seen before. :'(

We saw a few characters that we haven't seen in a long time, so that's cool. I'm especially glad Tara and John are back, if only because I think they have cool character designs.

It's kind of interesting to see the Saviors basically resorting to a more neutered version of how Negan had them operate, now that Dwight has left them.

I really didn't think Gabriel would die that quickly. I'm both amused, and annoyed by how he went out.

Rick should be more wary of Eugene. He seems to expect Euge to be of level head after having just lost Rosita, what, maybe a few weeks earlier? He's very clearly hiding something, and the moment tensions cool, Rick needs to investigate what it is that Eugene has been doing. There may be too much trust bestowed in him now.

Really looking forward to watching Negan beat Beta to death next issue.

Negan running around so unscathed during that battle reminds of the battle scenes featuring the Governor on the show. Oddly, it feels less hokey here.

Also, fuck Jesus and his backflips.

Alternatively, you could also just call me Soiled_Panties, on account of how pissy I can be.

Dead Gov Walking

Dead Gov Walking

Roamer

• Members

yeah I really could have done without Jesus doing some stupid fuckin backflip off a horse. And Gabriel went out in a stupid way.

outside of that, really enjoyed the issue

we've still got  4 issues left in this arc so obviously it wont all be resolved as soon as we think it might be, and sense Michonne, Jesus, Dwight and Negan are all in the middle of a shitstorm at the moment, I imagine we'll be losing a couple more long standing series characters.

Wouldn't be surprised if Negan is one of them. He may not technically be the antagonist anymore, but he still has a nasty case of 'villain talks and talks and talks instead of just killing the person theyre after'

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.

Negan reminds me of this guy.

napalm.jpg

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

I_Follow_You_Axel

I_Follow_You_Axel

You Follow Me?

• Moderators
  • LocationWhere Dave Met Tony

Part of me thinks Negan's comments at the end of the issue were directed toward Dwight, but I really, really want them to be directed to Beta McTwoKnives. Wit the way Negan was talking to Dwight earlier about Sherry, I'm leaning towards Negan legitimately liking Dwight and feeling bad for what he's done.

Sucks about Gabriel. It simply amazes me how Kirkman manages to make you hate a character, put them on the backburner for 30-some-odd issues, bring them back, make you root for them, then kill them in the dumbest, yet most gruesome way possible. It's really an art form.

I think we'll see a couple of deaths in the nest few issues. I'm predicting Jesus dying. He's a fan-favorite and about to be 'shipped with Aaron, which like Michonne said, would make a lot of people so happy. Instant-death for him. I'm very interested in where the story is going...so much more interested than I am in that god-awful spin-off show.

"I ain't walking out to the woods to get my pecker bit off by a roamer, you follow me?"
- Axel (Who else, really?)

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members

Who is this Gabriel people keep speaking of ?

abenzin

abenzin

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationBills Country

Good action packed issue. Sucks Father Gabe went out like that. Ouch! Can't wait to see Beta and Negan go at it, hopefully hand to hand. That should be a cool fight scene. Seems like the people at the Sanctuary may still be a little bitter about losing the war to Rick and co.

You can't always do right, but you can always do what's left

Koibito

Koibito

Biter

• Members
  • LocationIn a Gangsta's Paradise ♪♫

Who put the oneeyed kid on guardduty?

bd629b0375becac7160e1d2f9cb1fae26e9b1917

WhiteChocolate

WhiteChocolate

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationDallas TX

I thought this issue was a step down from the last two great issues.

What is up with making characters look so damned similar? For a second I thought the two Saviors were Dwight's chick and Magna's black guy. Then I thought of an issue that came out 3.5 years ago and remembered. Also, I guess Sherry is back to being Sherry? I'll try to be kind and assume that Sherry changed her name to "start over" after Negan.

Someone tried to tell me a major character died along with a bunch of redshirts, but all I saw were redshirts. Because there's no way in hell Father Gabriel counts as a main character. Just because he lived almost 100 issues and was seldom seen doesn't make him important. So far it's not that much different than All Out War in respects to a bunch of redshirts and C list characters getting killed. The end has Negan standing over Beta...could we actually see a major kill halfway through the war? Or is Kirkman going to WWE PG era us with a shitty swerve where both escape and more jobbers get killed? Because it's time to start raising the damned stakes.

I think William in the Kingdom is going to get overrun, whether it's the Saviors or the Whisperers. Meanwhile the Saviors are all but ready to have Negan take back over. Just wondering how that radio fits into all of this at this point. Just got me thinking...isn't Eugene supposed to be too damned important to be wandering off to the ammo factory? Ended up badly for him in the war with Negan, and if Eugene gets killed some random character is going to find that radio.

XBOX One Gamertag: ROFbaggingU.  Blackops 3 Zombies mode: easter egg hunter.

WhiteChocolate

WhiteChocolate

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationDallas TX

Also, if the Whisperers are going to hide behind the dead then pounce, then why not start using some grenades or an improvised flamethrower? By blowing up or roasting them, the screams would weed out the whisperers among the dead, and whatevers left can be gunned down.

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ

Pretty decent action issue. R.I.P. Father Gabe, you won't be missed. What a way to die like a chump too! I LOL'd. Can't really say too much that hasn't been said... glad Magna and her crew are finally doing something useful. Andreas conversation with Rick about the people trusting him might be some foreshadowing for them exiling him at some point. I'm sure Carl and Lydia are going to eventually sneak out of Hilltop to join the fray, though it seemed like the Whisperers megahorde wasn't that big when Michonne and the other Cavalry reinforcements arrived. Jesus' backflip off the horse was hilarious. 

b6gsbtK.gif

Anyway, I'm hoping we get some good hand to hand combat between Beta McTwoKnives and Negan. 

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
saviors lashing out and kingdom is divided. Rick is gonna have his hands full in a bit.

idk why everyone is surprised by FG death. he just started to develop. Kirkman usually does that. jesus finding someone knew means either he dies or the other dies.

it's early. in this war with 4 more parts. Negan will either have to bail or he'll be killed in a shocking twist...well i think.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

Pretty decent action issue. R.I.P. Father Gabe, you won't be missed. What a way to die like a chump too! I LOL'd. Can't really say too much that hasn't been said... glad Magna and her crew are finally doing something useful. Andreas conversation with Rick about the people trusting him might be some foreshadowing for them exiling him at some point. I'm sure Carl and Lydia are going to eventually sneak out of Hilltop to join the fray, though it seemed like the Whisperers megahorde wasn't that big when Michonne and the other Cavalry reinforcements arrived. Jesus' backflip off the horse was hilarious.

b6gsbtK.gif

Anyway, I'm hoping we get some good hand to hand combat between Beta McTwoKnives and Negan.

i think the horde is bigger they either have some waiting in the back or they are going after someone else or another community. that horde originally took up 2 pages. more has to be on a stand still.

Pickles312

Pickles312

Lurker

• Members

I can't believe they fricking killed off Gabriel! What the hell!!! He was becoming my favorite character. I knew Kirkman would get rid of him just as he actually became an interesting character. It would have been super intriguing to see Gabriel faced with killing a live person, but no, Kirktool doesn't want to have character development apparently.Screw Kirkman. I'm done. This is worse than Issue 100.

Can we talk for a sec about how implausible it is that Whisperers wouldn't be hit when a ton of people are spraying into a crowd of them with automatic weapons. It's not like rotting flesh makes a productive meat shield anyway. As many of them would have been hit as any other walker in the crowd.

I know Negan is one for spectacle too but somebody would just put a bullet in Beta by now, right?

Finally, the Saviors make literally no sense to me. Of course we don't know what has gone on there for the most part, but it still makes no fricking sense.

DaneBramage

DaneBramage

Biter

• Members
  • Location16 National Championships NCAA Div I Football

Man look at the splash with Jesus and Michonne staring down at the attack- It's a no brainer to run into the woods and when the roamers and whisperers follow start a forest fire behind and around them and BBQ the fuckers. Fire is the only way to effectively deal with the group and the horde. Wonder why Eugene wants to make more bullets?? I take it that was the ammo factory.

"(When/If) You come at the King, you best not miss"- Omar Little

DHeav60

DHeav60

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Fucking Father Gabriel.  You had ONE job.

At the end of last issue - seeing Gabriel's reaction to the horde, I thought.. this guy is toast.  Then I thought about it - Whisperers don't have guns.  Zombies can't climb.  If whisperers try to climb up the ladder you can kill like 30 of them in one bullet....

WhiteChocolate

WhiteChocolate

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationDallas TX

But a sizeable horde could've knocked the tower over if he was detected by the horde. Had he kept quiet and tried to stay out of sight there was a chance he could've survived undetected.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members

Dumbest death in the book so far.............

jbhutto

jbhutto

S-mart Employee

• Members

I'm pretty sure Negan will make it through the war.   He's being set up as a war hero, Dwight is indebted to him and whoever else was fighting alongside Negan saw what's he's done, in addition to (probably) taking out Beta.  As much baggage as he comes with, Negan is still a massive asset to Rick ( the comment by Rick about making Negan carry him seems like a joke on the surface, but if you think about it Negan has been carrying Rick.  He not only devised the whole "unite against a common enemy" deal, he's also filling in the battlefield role that Rick maybe would've been in ).   

As for Eugene going to the bullet factory.  Maybe it isn't for the war but for some sort of deal with the Ohio people.  Granted I don't think he'd be looking that far ahead.  When Eugene showed one of the guys remarked sarcastically "to what do we owe this honor" with honor being in bold.  You know who else is honored? Kings!  King Eugene confirmed.

Luis_Dantas

Luis_Dantas

Infected

• Members

Nice issue, but it could be so much better without so much Negan spotlight.

Negan has very much worn out his welcome to me.  He is consistently portrayed as a testosterone-overdosed retard and it is stretching credibility that they would trust him enough to keep him outside of a jail cell - particularly seeing how he caused this whole situation in the first place. 

In this issue he felt almost suicidal, teasing Dwight inconsequentially as he did.

And we have so many more interesting characters running around that it really feels like a waste of good panel space.  Here is hoping that #159 fixes that situation, even if Negan survives (which I don't particularly think he will).

moop420

moop420

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationInside Andrea's Short Shorts

5/10

Disappointing, to say the least. That issue read like a bad episode of the show. At times I thought I had missed an issue or two because of all the jarring cuts to people I didn't know or give a shit about.

FG with the dumbest death of all time. At least that was amusing.

Nick_FM

Nick_FM

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationU.S.A.

I wonder if Negan is actually talking to Dwight at the end instead of Beta, he could get away with it in all the chaos going on. I can't see him letting a betrayal like that slide....he wants to be the one to kill Dwight so thats the only reason he saved him. 

Rasmus

Rasmus

Infected

• Members

I loved the issue.

*Father Gabriel's death was great. It's totally fitting that some people wouldn't be cut out for the life of a soldier. Don't get me wrong, I think it's admirable that he nutted up and tried to actually do something beyond his contributions in No Way Out, but the will to do something courageous, like contributing to the war effort, isn't necessarily going to translate into competence as a useful member of the militia. Was it a bit ridiculous that he fell, snapped his leg, and that Beta was (un-?)conveniently nearby to finish him off? Perhaps a bit, but I don't think it was too far removed from the realm of possibilities considering who Gabriel was and Beta's uncanny ability to creep with the best of them.

*The reluctance from the Kingdom and the flat-out refusal from the Saviors to support Alexandria in this time of crisis is another major point of interest. Are we going to see a coup in The Kingdom? What will relations be like between them and Alexandria if both communities survive the war? I think it's safe to say the relationship with the Saviors is pretty much beyond mending, although Tara seemed to be apprehensive about their actions in hindsight.

*The scene in which Rick and Eugene were talking was a bit foreboding. I really have a bad feeling about the "Ohio community," if that's really where they are from.

*It was nice to see the Whisperers in action, as we have seldom seen them on the prowl.

*I can't get enough of Negan and Dwight interacting with one another. But then again, I am one of those people who can't get enough of Negan in general, and I really loved his quips and the setup for his probable showdown with Beta (unless some deus ex machina crap happens). At first, I read that line as being potentially directed towards Dwight, but I don't think Kirkman will do that.

I am pretty excited for next issue. I am curious if the Whisperers will remain the primary threat for the entirety of The Whisperer War. If Beta dies in #159, the war will have a lot less personality from the enemy side. This next one is apparently a very significant issue for the series, but then again, I feel like we hear that from Kirkman every few issues, haha.

Edit: I do have one complaint. To echo others, I do not approve of Jesus' backflip. I am by no means a Jesus-hater, but I would be totally fine with him dying in this arc...

Rasmus

Rasmus

Infected

• Members

I wonder if Negan is actually talking to Dwight at the end instead of Beta, he could get away with it in all the chaos going on. I can't see him letting a betrayal like that slide....he wants to be the one to kill Dwight so thats the only reason he saved him. 

That's how I read it the first time. It could go either way.

Why he may be talking to Dwight:

*Most obviously, Dwight betrayed him.

*We know at some point in this war, Negan will reclaim Lucille, and the easiest way for that to happen is if Dwight is dead.

*This would allow Beta to potentially escape, which could be likely given that he is the only person with a personality on The Whisperer side, and the war will only be half over after next issue.

Why he may not be talking to Dwight:

*There may be a lot of chaos, yes, but would Negan really risk being caught in battle? There is still a good chance someone would see him.

*It would almost be crappy writing to do a double heel-turn like this, especially when the long-term consequences of such an action aren't really worth it. Beta and the Whisperers aren't going to suddenly be alright with Negan just for killing one of their many enemies, especially when one considers what Negan did.

Of course, both of the above points are moot if Negan does have a window to get away with it. Then he can get his revenge and still fight against the Whisperers, but I really think Kirkman wants us to like Negan as an anti-hero more firmly planted in the camp of the protagonists, so that kind of pushes me towards probably not.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members

I have a feeling this is all leading to the fall of Alexandria and a road trip to Ohio. 

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!