Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

fear-the-walking-dead-episode-210-travis

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members
Within the context of FTWD I voted excellent.

Of intrerest was the flashback that gave insight to how the infection spread....at some point the dead began to reanimate throughout the world.

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCalifornia

I voted "good". 

The whole episode was really good from start to finish. I'd venture to say this is one of the better episodes they've had. There were a couple of cheesy moments where they dramatically went slow-mo, but aside from that it was all good. Felt like I was playing an episode of TellTales The Walking Dead. 

Was I the only one really hoping that both Madison and Strand were dead? I just.. I just wanted it to happen. lol.

If the show can continue at a pace like this, I'll be happy enough. Shots in the hotel hallways were creepy! Very well done.

Bit > Lurker > Roamer > Put down by Scott Gimple. Goodbye R&L

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

I voted "good". I thought it was better than last week at least.  

I did enjoy the flashback  at the beginning of the episode..but I hate how they have the dead animate immediately whenever it is convenient for the show to do so.  It's so predictable. 

I hate Chris. I hate him so much.  And people that kill chickens, when they may be hens that are laying eggs everyday (so, food to last for a few years until the chicken dies) are shortsighted and stupid.  Kill the chicken, and you get one or two meals out of it.  Ugh.  What frustrates me about someone like Chris, other than his gross violence, is that he is so shortsighted.  Gas is going to run out.  Scavengers like the people he came across will not last long, because they aren't survivors with a long view of things and if the walkers don't get them, a more capable, more brutal group will take what is theirs...just like they are doing to other people.  They think they are so tough, and "survivors" but they don't realize that they are kittens compared to the type of people that are out there.  His father is right, holding up somewhere in the country, with a water source and the ability to grow food, is their best chance.  Chris is so dumb to trust that group so quickly.  For all they know, they've been shooting people along the way to get their supplies.  They may be treating Chris differently simply because they think he'll help them survive.  But I guess Chris doesn't have a moral compass anymore, so that would probably be fine with him anyway.  I hope his arrogance and self-assured attitude gets him killed sooner rather than later so that Travis can be free of him. 

ricky311

ricky311

Infected

• Members
I voted excellent.

I was surprised that I actually liked the Travis and Chris scenes. Didn’t think they could pull that off. But I'm finally interested in these characters now.

Alicia is my favorite character right now. I love how she, unlike everyone else, can keep herself together and is capable of thinking things through. Her character reminds me of Beth, but better. And also a little bit of Buffy the vampire slayer lol.

Props to Maddy and Strand for getting out of there while drunk. I can't wait to find out how they did it.

I feel that splitting these characters up was a very wise decision, even if that might have been a cliché thing to do. The characters are all coming to their own.

To me this episode felt like TWD quality, but with a twist. The sense of danger is there now that they're back on land and now they all need to learn how to survive and to deal with their own crap. But all characters are handled and given development, as opposed to TWD's crew up until the end of season 2, where I felt everything always revolved around Rick and the other characters were mostly just there to reflect on him. With FTWD the story feels a lot more equally divided between the characters. There is no spotlight stealing hero.

Excited for next week, yes!

Pickles312

Pickles312

Lurker

• Members

Happy the showrunners didn't fall into the trap of making the new group cold blooded killers. They may be crude and reckless, but they don't seem to be out for blood. Of course they had their guns up at the end, when a guy walks in with a shotgun, that's your first instinct. They also didn't understand him. And yes, they got ballsy, but they could have killed him anytime they wanted to. Instead they waited, and the guy was the one that shot first unprovoked. After that I would have done exactly what Chris did and popped the guy.

I really like this new group, and I hope we get to know them instead of them being killed off super quick like every other side character. I like the idea of a group that has an edge to them and isn't extremely friendly, but also is willing to talk. There could be a lot of complexity in their characters if the showrunners let it happen.

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

Happy the showrunners didn't fall into the trap of making the new group cold blooded killers. They may be crude and reckless, but they don't seem to be out for blood. Of course they had their guns up at the end, when a guy walks in with a shotgun, that's your first instinct. They also didn't understand him. And yes, they got ballsy, but they could have killed him anytime they wanted to. Instead they waited, and the guy was the one that shot first unprovoked. After that I would have done exactly what Chris did and popped the guy.

I really like this new group, and I hope we get to know them instead of them being killed off super quick like every other side character. I like the idea of a group that has an edge to them and isn't extremely friendly, but also is willing to talk. There could be a lot of complexity in their characters if the showrunners let it happen.

They owner didn't shoot unprovoked.  He shot the guy in the leg when he killed his hen.  I can understand if you think that is an over-reaction (I think it was, but I can also understand that he was desperate and afraid), but he is telling them to get off his property, and they are killing his food source.  I don't see how they had any right to kill him...they should have gotten the heck off his property. 

zack

zack

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Other Side

What a beautiful wedding reception until....liked the backstory, but would have  liked to see how the survivors got out of there without destroying the cake and tables :D .  Also good to see a native (the hotel manager) realize the infected are just dangerous instead of connecting them with religion like Celia and the pharmacist.  

Loved how the scenes immediately switched between Alicia, Travis and Chris.  Liked this better than concentrating on one character.

I like how they're developing the young characters. So far Alicia is evolving into a capable survivor with empathy toward others.  Chris is capable, but is definitely going to the dark side. Nick has also proved capable, but needs to lose his fascination with the dead and religion.  Whether you like their characters or not, they're good actors.  Now where is Ofelia? 

Oh, and leave it to a bunch of young guys to call the infected, the wasted. :D   

"I don't believe that things happen for the best. I do believe, however, that it is possible to make the best of things that happen."

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationChicago area

I voted excellent. I wavered between Good and Excellent, but it was too hard to find a way to downgrade the vote this week.

Again I want to subdivide the episode into the two different arcs it followed, but first the prologue:

Prologue was okay to me, very strong but a very weak turning scene which soured it for me. I wasn't sure until the talk later that it was a heart attack or sickness- it kind of just happened during the wedding, very contrived for me. Of course the blushing happy bride gets the saddest day of her life bite tragedy. The flashback idea was awesome, but that sort of obvious ending deflated it for me.

Travis and Chris: This is great stuff to me. They are totally different people here, but Travis is trying and Chris does too, when a lack of better options to him exists. Stealing from the living isn't out of character for him, the uncertainty of the living seeing and kind of helping each other was an awkward scene like it should have been. Chris bolting and leaving the crew to fight the rest while he escapes was a good move but also dangerous.

Once they escaped I was expecting some ridiculous gore or herd scene and was very pleasantly surprised by the character development they chose instead. Teaching Chris to drive was great. I totally expected Chris to speed up and hit the walker but he passed it by like I think would happen in reality. It was a great moment, as small as it was. It said a lot about Chris.

Running out of gas, stash the car, campfire. You know I really thought poorly about it when Nick did it, but in retrospect this is the middle of nowhere in a desert. It's not quite as stupid as I think it is given the wide open space. Maybe it was Travis' assessment of what to do that gave me a little more confidence towards that decision.

Brandon and his crew I have a difficult time getting a good read on. Maybe it's because they are acting more like the boys from Philly in season 2 of TWD, or because they are written like all the characters from FTWD season one. It seems a little shallow. Their choices should lead somewhere. Here's what I do know.

They appeared to kill and rob the convenience store peeps for their materials. Chris' actions and saving Brandon definitely had an effect on them though. The pursued the station wagon all afternoon and into the night until they saw the campfire...why? One can of beans and some water? The station wagon? Revenge? Because Chris has killing talent? They like him?

Unless someone knows that road they were travelling and it happens to lead towards San Diego then their move doesn't make sense. If it does and they happened to be going down the same road then I buy it. So...chasing Chris and Travis doesn't work for me. Coincidence does. The campfire scene was awkward and difficult, as it should be. Brandon and his boys are all Frat but learned fast- so not stupid college boys. Brandon's philosophy took me out of the show for a moment. His comment about end times making them Gods reminded me too much of the mall security guards in Night of the Comet. I do like that they made sense of what they first saw and named walkers after their own perceptions (The Wasted). It reminds me of the camp in season one of TWD calling them Geeks. It works within their character framing and the storyline, it was a nice touch and perfectly placed.

Brandon and the crew are clearly in charge but not clearly sure of what they want. They allow the actions of the people the confront to determine what they do next. Travis recognizes this and know they aren't really decent or have much of a chance to live.

Arriving at the farm was brilliant too. You see the scavengers checking for resources, getting excited about chickens...claiming everything for their own that shouldn't be, without regard for what came before. Travis saw the graves, chose the homestead, but has respect and desire to find a place that works. BTW: The crosses all confirm 2010 as a year of start or a year of spread for this pandemic. Good to see more confirmation than just the season one banner!

The farmer shooting and defending his home and resources was great- Chris shooting the farmer was great for showing his character is learning to survive like his frat boy contemporaries and was before he met them. Travis can't teach him or save him, he has to manage or handle him or move on. Of course- depending on when the farmer passes or turns they may lose the whole chicken house now. Spike and remove him!  :) 

The hotel scenes: Great to not see how Travis and Madison escape, BTW. I know we'll see it later but for now it was good to be held in suspense. At first I couldn't make sense of how all the walkers ended up in Alicia's hall given the building construction. I'm glad the explanation was Elena, it worked, and they used it to benefit and work together afterwards (herding the bedroom from the hall was good suspense, etc.). All good plot devices should happen like that. Of course, most elevator doors close when released, but I'll let that slide a little since it got us to where we need to be.

Elena's returning to the wedding room was great- as well as her being overwhelmed by what she did in retrospect. I think she was a little overboard but was not wrong in the containment choice overall. Confronting surviving guests and Alicia's solution was a double whammy smart move, but they did lose the keys I think. Elena's knowledge is crucial to survival, but I did have a quick thought...were there subterranean walkers down there already or did they all fall down the hole and pursue? I think some came with Travis and Madison and hope to see that cleared up next week. Elena strikes me as smart enough to close the hatch behind them (they also close pretty readily on their own) and falling walkers don't easily shuffle that fast afterwards.

I really thought this one was excellent. Believable and suspenseful and a fantastic watch this week. Only a few nitpicks, and no complaints on my part!

"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCalifornia

Any theories on what Ofelia is up to? She was seeming a bit mopey before disappearing. 

My only thought is that she wandered off and got stuck in a room or something. I dunno. Curious to see how they explain this off.

Bit > Lurker > Roamer > Put down by Scott Gimple. Goodbye R&L

zack

zack

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Other Side

Any theories on what Ofelia is up to? She was seeming a bit mopey before disappearing. 

My only thought is that she wandered off and got stuck in a room or something. I dunno. Curious to see how they explain this off.

TTD had a poll on what happened to Ofelia. Choices were: Dead, Ran Away or Kidnapped.  The majority went with kidnapped.

I think she wandered out and met someone and left with them.  There may be other groups or single individuals stranded in the hotel.

"I don't believe that things happen for the best. I do believe, however, that it is possible to make the best of things that happen."

bully8

bully8

S-mart Employee

• Members

Looks like Travis's plan to isolate Chris backfired.  Now Chris has fallen in with some bad apples.  The intent of Brandon's group seemed unclear at first.  But after they understood that the farmer was just ordering them to leave, they refused.  I got the feeling they would have taken supplies from Travis and Chris if they had any,

I liked how hotel lady was so skilled at herding walkers around and locking them up.  Nice.

Alicia is becoming my favorite character. 

jaco

jaco

Roamer

• Members

Chris is batshit crazy.  Sad, because I was hoping Travis could bring him around.  I don't think he'll live through the season's end.  Personally, I'd be fine if he just left with the other guys and Travis set out on his own.   Doubt they'll do that, though. 

I've really liked the last two episodes.  So, so, so much better than last season and then the boat stuff.   I think the off shoot stories have been good, and what's promising is introducing new characters.   I just hope some of them stick.    By splitting the group up I think Maddy is pretty much at the core of what i haven't liked about FTWD.  Just too much drama and tension.  I could just stick with the Nick and Travis/Chris story lines and be fine with the show.  Add new cast members from there forward.  

I just hope the "group" doesn't reunite some how.   That would be ludicrous at this juncture.  They're spread all over Mexico now.  

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members

I have the feeling that the 3 kids are going to be the main characters of the show from now on, with each having their own storyline. I don't know if they'll ever meet up again. Chris, Alicia, and Nick, together at the beginning, but separated now, each forging their own path, navigating the apocalypse in their own ways.

This was a really good episode. How Elena "controls" the hotel with the keys and moving walkers could've used more explanation. The way her and Alicia did it obviously doesn't work if you're alone. But maybe that's how Hector and she did it.

Other than the quick glimpse of dead bodies when Chris first went into the restaurant, the other group never came across as bad. I kind of wish they never showed the bodies to keep it ambiguous.

I wouldn't mind if Ophelia was never seen again. It would be realistic in an apocalyptic situation to never know what happened to her. Story-wise, she's a minor enough character where they could do that and get away with it. No different than the Morales family from TWD.

Lyrad13

Lyrad13

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationUpstate New York

I voted good.  Chris being one reason that keeps me from voting excellent.   He needs to go.  Any episode where he dies will be an excellent X10 for me.   It's a shame Travis is stuck with him.

Alicia is also my favorite right now , and I didn't care for her in season 1.   Ophelia can be dead ....that would be fine.  

Loved the flash back scenes.  Overall not too many complaints but it just didn't feel "excellent" for me.

Stan

Stan

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationChicago area

An ambiguous intent group of kids would have definitely upped the ante for us as viewers.

but this episode as shown clearly demonstrated to me that Chris is 'that' sort of person in this new World, and how he dealt with the farmer (who was doing exactly what Travis intended to do and in fact very much represents Travis as a person) clearly showed it.

Travis wasn't losing Chris, he had already lost Chris and just hasn't figured it out yet.

Other than the quick glimpse of dead bodies when Chris first went into the restaurant, the other group never came across as bad. I kind of wish they never showed the bodies to keep it ambiguous.

"Step it up to Red Alert!"
"Are you absolutely sure, Sir? It does require changing the lightbulb."

Luis_Dantas

Luis_Dantas

Infected

• Members

Good to excellent (voted "Good" because I am still pissed off by the excess of foolish Nicholas in the last couple of episodes).

I think they are doing a very good job at portraying the confusion and conflict inside both Travis and Christopher.  The dilemmas and reactions were believable and engaging, in part because they were not always very rational.

Alicia is growing nicely into her new role.  I wish we had seen more of Madison and Strand, though.

Elena's situation and the hotel in general are interesting, if not particularly clear or believable.  There is room for major drama there.

This episode impressed me by how tenuous the boundary between protagonists and secondary characters is.  I have come to wonder if the show is not aiming for a looser model, with no true core characters.  Perhaps without even a true central location, allowing us to go back to learn about the exploits of some of the other survivors we met so far - Tobias,,Alex, Seth and his brother, Jack - without necessarily creating a contrived situation that brings the current cast to them again.  

The parent show has largely forgotten about the "barren Earth" aspect of the world, maybe this one will fill that gap?

bully8

bully8

S-mart Employee

• Members
Travis wasn't losing Chris, he had already lost Chris and just hasn't figured it out yet.

We kind of suspected Chris was a lost cause, but we didn't know he would draw Travis into a dangerous group.  I didn't see that twist coming.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!