Watching Season 1 After Season 5

- - - - - Amy ed widlfire

LatetotheGame

LatetotheGame

Infected

• Members

I originally started watching the series right after the group left the CDC. 

Now channel 27 is rerunning the series from the start, so I am watching the show from the beginning for the first time.

I am currently watching the episode Wildfire, showing Amy's and Ed's deaths. I am curious as to why it took them so long to turn, and why Amy seemed so gentle with Andrea instead of viciously attacking her?

Also, the walkers seem quicker, and somehow smarter, than in later episodes. Is there a reason for this?

Bug

Bug

Zombie Herder

• Moderators

Just a guess, but maybe the original victims were healthier on a whole? Then there's deterioration as time goes by for the zombies so they would be losing quite a bit.  

As for the scene with Amy turning it wouldn't have been nearly as emotional had she attacked Andrea right away.  We were being hooked into an emotional moment.   

Edit:  It's caring about these survivors that makes the show work (IMO).

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members

When you watch the S1 finale the good doctor at the CDC will tell you the observed time frame of reanimation. I think Amy fits into it. The time frame is pretty wide, which gives the writers leeway to do pretty much whatever they want in regards to reanimation time to make it fit the story.

Overall, yeah, watching season 1 walkers is almost painful. They use tools, turn door knobs, climb fences, pick up stuffed animals, etc, and even at times seem sentient. The only thing missing was one of them picking up a radio and saying "send more cops" like in Return of the Living Dead. The common excuse is S1 had a different showrunner. Darabont liked smart zombies, Kirkman doesn't, by the time S2 came around he was doing what AMC wanted and was eventually pushed out.

LatetotheGame

LatetotheGame

Infected

• Members

Sorry for the delay in replying. I need to recheck my notification settings. 

Thank you for your responses. I think if the walkers had been as quick as they are portrayed at first, they would of killed everyone, (assuming this was in the real world, not tv.)

The other thing I realized is that I actually started watching early in the series. The first season was certainly fast paced. I guess I am one of the few that likes the slower pace at Herschel's farm. Like Bug said, the interaction between the characters is what drew me in.

I didn't really like that a lot of screen time was given to Andrea's grief, but nothing to Carol and Sophia. I think it could of been good. Maybe it ended up on the cutting room floor. 

The first peek into Carol's personality was when she pulled the grenade out of her purse. Loved it!

DaniB7

DaniB7

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationOklahoma

I thought they covered Carols "grief" really well when she put the pickax in Ed's head over and over and over and over and over.  That was pretty telling to me.

davo

davo

Infected

• Members

I agree with that too. It could also be the different director opinion's.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!