I like the show, in general, as it's feeding some metaphysical questions I currently have.
However, it is fatally flawed in many ways. Not least, the predictability of what happens next.
Exceptions are few, but include Carol's actions and development, and Carl's. And events related to the barn in S2.
Here are the tropes/ cliches that weaken the drama and action:
- Team Rick joins a group, mistrusts it , and there's resolution (well covered in FilmTheory channel on youtube)
- Bottle episodes are preceded and followed by big bang ones
- Someone is captured: villain gloats, villain dies or deus ex machine (and villain dies anyway) [far too much gloating in S5 & S6)
- So-called cliffhangers and fake-outs
- Redshirt alert – via casting, ancillary groups glomming onto Team Rick
- Shiitake we all seen before in TV and movies
- Stuff we've seen in games, esp some of the camera shots
- No one, esp Abe, instills Standard Operating Procedures. (I know that, and am a civilian)