Going Off Comic

stableboy

stableboy

Lurker

• Members

Hi All.  I was reading the thread about the possibility of a ASZ member joining Negan. The responses say that it would be too much of a deviation.  What about if they went 100% off comic and actually ran the show as an independent feature.  People are mad because of the cliffhanger and who gets beaten.  They are mad because of the expectations set by the comic.  Those who don't read the comics (me) aren't as disappointed.  I would love to see side excursions where there can be varying dangers instead of the same thing over and over.  How about venturing into DC?  Incorporating some landscape with color instead of Georgia.  I have to go to Alexandria for work occasionally.  Doesn't match too well what is portrayed in Georgia (funny thing is I have to go the town the set is in for work too sometimes).

I think if they toss the restraints of the comic it would give freedom to grow the show and characters.  People love Daryl and he wasn't even in the comics.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

Comic fans swear that everything bad is a deviation and everything good, even if it isn't in the comic, is sort of in the comic in another way.

I can only take their word for it. I think deviating from the comic is a great idea because it allows surprise to return. I used to be able to be on these forums and comic fan conjecture was meaningless because it was wrong more often than right. Now it's right a lot, and that's disappointing to me. I keep knowing where they're going now without the love for the original story to make it work.
I read constantly, and as a reader I know that seeing what you read come to life is IMPORTANT. So I can see why they don't want to deviate.

Generally everything I expected to be really bad on screen due to how it is in the comic (governor, michonne, carl's eye loss) has translated well. They were smart enough to tone done how over the top those things are so it would work on screen. I hope that continues to be the case. And I hope they continue to mix it up, because I think that's vital. My sense is that comic fans haven't minded mixing things up as long as the right notes are hit.

Just please oh please don't even try to make

Spoiler
translate. I hate that idea so much. :)

Honestly though, they can't please everyone. A total 100% deviation would be a bad idea. Bad in the beginning because TWD clearly did something right, so use it. Bad now because it's established that this is basically a retelling of Kirkman's wildly successful tale. I like it best with how it's generally been done. Tone done the too-comic parts, mix up the people in key events, but hit the key events. Going on tangents is good, extra story is good. They just HAVE to write the characters like they're real people and let them develop. Stop rushing the story. Let it move slow, don't time jump. Rushing to Negan, in my view, made this show look like a 'bad guy of the month' kind of show. Like it can't trust the characters to be interesting in their own right.

naossano

naossano

Lurker

• Members

It is a bit the opposite.

I prefer when they do their own things, like the Terminal or the hospital plotline, than when they totally screw up comics scene by removing them from their context. If you can't bring follow up to a scene, just don't put that scene there in the first place. Scenes are supposed to have meaning/impact, not just be visual nod to the comics. (i think of Carl eyes, but there was other scene like that in the last few seasons. Without context, there were just gratuitus)

You get the feeling they had a checklist of comics scene that should be included, no matter what, and included some even if there was no build up, no reason, no follow up, no pay off. Instead of a checklist, they should write their own things and include comics scene when it serve the plot, and not force them at random.

B.A.

B.A.

Infected

• Members

I'd be happier if they strayed from the comics myself, would definitely stop a lot of the negativity on here if nobody knew, or thought they knew what was going to happen!

sluicedawg

sluicedawg

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationAlabama/Georgia line

It would be cool if they did physically shoot some scenes in D.C. This would actually bring back some of the shock and identification with the characters that was important as this series was started. Few of us actually still identify with what is happening now. We have never seen communities of medieval armored dudes with spears manning walled towns. Nor cars with spikes, all those kind of things. To someone watching this show for the first time, it may as well be any of the flavor of the week SciFi channel offerings. But it isn't. It is a great show now forwarded to something we are not familiar with, but without the back story or the strength of the characters themselves a lot of people will dismiss this just another zombie rip off post apocalypse unbelievable show. To show even a few landmarks recognizable to us all, in the present degenerate condition and things we can again believe on a personal level may pull us back into the world of the ZA two years or whatever hence. Just give us some scenes in DC,or the real Alexandria. CG would be better than nothing I guess.

Jenday

Jenday

Infected

• Members
  • LocationKy
It would be great to see some DC landmarks.

bdizzle1686

bdizzle1686

Lurker

• Members
I agree with the DC landmarks, the way they portray things in the show, every city in America has transformed into a rural wooded area with maybe 1 or 2 little towns every now & then... N replaced every skyscraper with a giant goddamned tree...

stableboy

stableboy

Lurker

• Members
Or any landmarks. Alexandria virginia is not like the area they are showing. It is pretty urbanized. Not too rural.

SuperNeos2

SuperNeos2

Lurker

• Members
Exactly! Enough with the woods! It's so stale at this point!

DeadOnMyFeet

DeadOnMyFeet

Fighting for Truth, Justice, and the American Movie Classics Way

• Moderators
  • Location30 mins from Hollywood
*shrugs* Wooded area==far easier, and cheaper, to shoot.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!