On Strand

strand fear the walking dead theory

_Ghost_

_Ghost_

Infected

• Members

All of these comments are putting so much into perspective!

I have some things in mind based of the last episode and the sneak preview it provided to the upcoming one:

1. Why did Strand the cut the rope connecting Alex and the boy to the ship?
  2. How will Alex and the boy come back into play? They couldn't have been there for only one episode.
  3. In the sneak preview of the upcoming episode, it looks like Strand gets knocked unconscious and thrown overboard.
  4. Is Strand going to seek revenge for being thrown off his own ship and become the new "Governor" to "Rick" (Rick in this case being Travis)?
  5. Is Strand even going to be in play anymore? He doesn't seem like a side character but side characters are disposed off easily.  Like if they meet someone trapped in a car and free them and walk with them the whole episode, they can still part ways and that's that.  Kind of like the Rick and Morgan situation in TWD.  So can they turn this towards Strand?

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

All of these comments are putting so much into perspective!

I have some things in mind based of the last episode and the sneak preview it provided to the upcoming one:

1. Why did Strand the cut the rope connecting Alex and the boy to the ship?
  2. How will Alex and the boy come back into play? They couldn't have been there for only one episode.
  3. In the sneak preview of the upcoming episode, it looks like Strand gets knocked unconscious and thrown overboard.
  4. Is Strand going to seek revenge for being thrown off his own ship and become the new "Governor" to "Rick" (Rick in this case being Travis)?
  5. Is Strand even going to be in play anymore? He doesn't seem like a side character but side characters are disposed off easily.  Like if they meet someone trapped in a car and free them and walk with them the whole episode, they can still part ways and that's that.  Kind of like the Rick and Morgan situation in TWD.  So can they turn this towards Strand?

My take on your questions:

1: Strand said no to taking on survivors. If he allows them to tow survivors, then he has allowed the others to change the law. Strand believes HE is the law, and therefore he can't allow any compromise. There may be a deeper reason, but it's already in character for Strand to just cut the rope.

2: The two people cut loose are still very very close to the boat. There's no reason we can't start the next episode with Madison throwing them a line. Point being that they aren't nearly far enough off yet to think they're gone.

3: Didn't see it, can't comment.

4: Strand would absolutely, if possible, seek to get what is his back. How that occurs is anyone's guess. But I can't see Travis as the leader. Madison is honestly the only candidate since Ruben Blades portrays a character that cares not a whit for the others.

5: Strand could be the first hurdle they have to jump. The first person they must cast aside to move forward. Maybe he's more the Shane then the Governor?

_Ghost_

_Ghost_

Infected

• Members

5: Strand could be the first hurdle they have to jump. The first person they must cast aside to move forward. Maybe he's more the Shane then the Governor?

I think Chris is going to be more of the Shane. We've seen how much hes already been affected by the apocalypse.  

_Ghost_

_Ghost_

Infected

• Members

FINALLY! INSIGHT ON STRAND!

This episode showed us Strand's past.  We learn several things:

1. He's a criminal

2. His life was set but he and his buddies (the ones he communicated with over the walkies) decided it was to restricting and that's why they had a place in Mexico

3. Strand wasn't lying about anything he said

4. Strand is homosexual (not saying this is a bad thing, you be you, just pointing this out)

Now that we know all of this about Strand, I'm interested to know this:

Will Strand give way and allow usage of his ship for a rescue mission for Alicia and Travis?

nappy

nappy

Infected

• Members

RE: Strand and Nick and Heroin

Strand values Nick because Nick is an ex-junkie (or to paraphrase Strand explaining Nick's utility to him, "Don't sell yourself short; you're not just an addict, you're a heroin addict, the gold standard.").  Strand is possibly an ex-addict himself (just like Nick's mom), and at the very least, certainly used to move in circles which included heroin users, so he understands the laser-like focus that every seasoned heroin addict possesses:

Cop.

Shoot.

Cop.

Strand, a manager of people his whole life, instantly recognized that having someone with experience living in a virtual apocalypse would have tremendous use to him in navigating a real apocalypse. Nick's existence had been all about survival in a lawless, post-apocalyptic world for three years before any zombies ever appeared. Beyond that, and as Strand told Madison on the boat, he recognized the raw, non-junkie related talent that Nick innately possessed, "even when he was in the throes of withdrawal." I think Strand genuinely likes Nick (in a platonic way), and takes something akin to genuine, paternal pride when he pulls something off (i.e., in the S2 premier, when Strand cheers Nick on for tying the launch to the Abigail --"Well done, Nicholas! Just like I showed you!"). And note that, alone among the other characters, Strand refers to Nick with the paternal "Nicholas." 

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationEye Socket

Good post, Nappy.  Strand lives on the fringes or had and Nick certainly did.  Being a junkie ain't easy.  I've known MANY in my life with lots of musicians.  Lost a brother in law to it, actually.  And indirectly, a mother in law to the hep C she surely contracted via a contaminated razor, toothbrush or some other way.  Anyway, Strand sees Nick's value because he knows how to survive an "alternative" lifestyle and get by by the skin of his teeth in the normal world.  

Hopefully, there will be a few more insights into Strand's tight spots early criminal days.  He is certainly a fascinating character.

_Ghost_

_Ghost_

Infected

• Members
Sorry for your losses guv

Just throwing something out there, we never found out why Strand was with the sick, right? I wonder how that may play in.

Honestly, he just seems like a thief (which I believe we see to be true in the flash back where he met Tom) to me, not a junkie

abenzin

abenzin

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationBills Country

Strand lives on the fringes or had and Nick certainly did.  Being a junkie ain't easy.  I've known MANY in my life with lots of musicians.  Lost a brother in law to it, actually.  And indirectly, a mother in law to the hep C she surely contracted via a contaminated razor, toothbrush or some other way.  

I'm really sorry to hear that. My girlfriend's daughters just lost their father to an overdose last week. We've been dating for about 3 years and her girls are 10 and 11. My heart broke in half for those two sweethearts. Life sure can suck some serious ass at times. 

Anyway, I still don't think we've really seen what Strand has planned for Nick yet.

You can't always do right, but you can always do what's left

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationEye Socket

Thanks, y'all.  I wasn't looking for sympathy just empathizing w/ Nick's character.  I think Strand is too smart to be a heroin addict.  But he definitely knows his way around the legal system.  No idea what his plans for Nick are but he's cultivating him for some reason.  Perhaps he just knows that Nick is creative.  Junkies have to be.  So do most criminals.  I'm sorry about your GF's nieces.  That is truly tragic.  Ted had no wife or kids and Renee (MIL) was 94 and died peacefully since liver disease just sends you out into a weird euphoria near the end.  Better than cancer for sure.

Logan5

Logan5

Zombie Herder

• Members
  • LocationThe Endless River

RE: Strand and Nick and Heroin

Strand is possibly an ex-addict himself (just like Nick's mom)

Did I miss something... when did they say Nick's mom was an ex-addict?

259e5p1.jpg

abenzin

abenzin

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationBills Country

I can't say I remember anyone saying that either. But I do find myself spacing out sometimes while I'm watching this show, especially while Madison is on screen. She's just comes across as being flat and lacks emotion.

You can't always do right, but you can always do what's left

Logan5

Logan5

Zombie Herder

• Members

I can't say I remember anyone saying that either. But I do find myself spacing out sometimes while I'm watching this show, especially while Madison is on screen. She's just comes across as being flat and lacks emotion.

Maybe that is just their theory on her background. Man I find myself doing the same thing sometimes during the show. But I am liking the show more and more. 

259e5p1.jpg

nappy

nappy

Infected

• Members

S1 -- When Madison was confronting Nick about his heroin use, and specifically about his relapse, he shot back with a "you would know." That shut her up immediately, and put a guilty, knowing look on her face. Also, when he was in the worst part of his withdrawal (and ***before*** she realized there was a full-fledged Zombie Apocalypse afoot), she went to the school where she was employed, and broke into the contraband locker to secure opiates to ease her son's kick. Only a former addict would risk her job and commit several serious felonies to help out someone like Nick that way.  And remember, this is before she knew there was a zombie apocalypse in full effect, before her talk with Tobias.  At this point, she was going to go back to work in a few days and act surprised when someone in the teachers' lounge mentioned that there had been a break-in. Only someone who has been there and knows what it is like would do that.

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationEye Socket

S1 -- When Madison was confronting Nick about his heroin use, and specifically about his relapse, he shot back with a "you would know." That shut her up immediately, and put a guilty, knowing look on her face. Also, when he was in the worst part of his withdrawal (and ***before*** she realized there was a full-fledged Zombie Apocalypse afoot), she went to the school where she was employed, and broke into the contraband locker to secure opiates to ease her son's kick. Only a former addict would risk her job and commit several serious felonies to help out someone like Nick that way.  And remember, this is before she knew there was a zombie apocalypse in full effect, before her talk with Tobias.  At this point, she was going to go back to work in a few days and act surprised when someone in the teachers' lounge mentioned that there had been a break-in. Only someone who has been there and knows what it is like would do that

Anyone who has ever known an addict realizes that weaning is the only way.  Seizures and death followed unless you wean. Same goes for alcohol. And I think she realized that the shit had hit the fan. She's trying to keep her son alive an lessen his withdrawls. That is hard.

Nareen

Nareen

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

I think that Madison already suspected that she wouldn't be going back to work in a few days and she has shown that she would do anything to save/help her son.  

It does seem that there is something in her past, though.   Maybe Madison's problem is alcohol.  We did see her swigging from a bottle, IIRC after Nick was taken by the military.  And when the pregnant pirate said that she just liked to sniff the fumes , Madison said something about wishing she herself could just do that. 

Logan5

Logan5

Zombie Herder

• Members

I think that Madison already suspected that she wouldn't be going back to work in a few days and she has shown that she would do anything to save/help her son.  

It does seem that there is something in her past, though.   Maybe Madison's problem is alcohol.  We did see her swigging from a bottle, IIRC after Nick was taken by the military.  And when the pregnant pirate said that she just liked to sniff the fumes , Madison said something about wishing she herself could just do that. 

I agree, she would do anything to save Nick, regardless of whether or not she had been an addict in the past.

I never thought about alcohol, good point. I know there is a backstory to Madison, it was even mentioned on Talking Dead. Perhaps we will get her story in the second half of S2.

259e5p1.jpg

mishone

mishone

Infected

• Members

S1 -- When Madison was confronting Nick about his heroin use, and specifically about his relapse, he shot back with a "you would know." That shut her up immediately, and put a guilty, knowing look on her face. Also, when he was in the worst part of his withdrawal (and ***before*** she realized there was a full-fledged Zombie Apocalypse afoot), she went to the school where she was employed, and broke into the contraband locker to secure opiates to ease her son's kick. Only a former addict would risk her job and commit several serious felonies to help out someone like Nick that way.  And remember, this is before she knew there was a zombie apocalypse in full effect, before her talk with Tobias.  At this point, she was going to go back to work in a few days and act surprised when someone in the teachers' lounge mentioned that there had been a break-in. Only someone who has been there and knows what it is like would do that.

I think it was Nick's dad that was the addict and maybe died from overdose. Nick or Alicia have not attempted to contact their pop since the shit hit the fan, nor have they referred to him in any way. Where was dad when Travis was out hunting for Nick?

Maybe Nick is pissed with Madison for the tough love she used on his dad. Idk, just guessing but don't see Madison as addict.
Just having fun. 👀

ricky311

ricky311

Infected

• Members

I think it was Nick's dad that was the addict and maybe died from overdose. Nick or Alicia have not attempted to contact their pop since the shit hit the fan, nor have they referred to him in any way. Where was dad when Travis was out hunting for Nick?

Well, there are two very vague references by Alicia in the third episode of the first season when they're playing Monopoly.

When Nick picks the shoe, Alicia says "Dad was always the shoe." Madison responds with "Oh, daddy wouldn't mind." And she says that with a "happy" intonation.

All three have always called Travis Travis and not dad or daddy. I think their real dad passed away a long time ago. Maybe he was an addict, but the way they talk about it makes me think he was in an accident? Because a few scenes later, when Travis still hasn't come back, Alicia responds to Madison "I can't sleep when I'm waiting for someome to come home. I'm having a major case of deja vu right now."

Make of that what you will :P

Zombie_killer

Zombie_killer

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Well, there are two very vague references by Alicia in the third episode of the first season when they're playing Monopoly.

When Nick picks the shoe, Alicia says "Dad was always the shoe." Madison responds with "Oh, daddy wouldn't mind." And she says that with a "happy" intonation.

All three have always called Travis Travis and not dad or daddy. I think their real dad passed away a long time ago. Maybe he was an addict, but the way they talk about it makes me think he was in an accident? Because a few scenes later, when Travis still hasn't come back, Alicia responds to Madison "I can't sleep when I'm waiting for someome to come home. I'm having a major case of deja vu right now."

Make of that what you will :P

Gale Ann Hurd also said on the talking dead that their dad was dead.  At the San Diego comic con where they had the FTWD panel before the start of the first season, Frank Dillane said that Nick's dad had died.  

Zombie_killer

Zombie_killer

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Do you have children?  I think anyone who has kids would do that for their child - not just someone who has been an addict.  Going cold turkey from heroin can kill you at worse and is painful and horrendous to go through at best.  Anyone would want to avoid their child going through that.  I'm a midwife and I can say that if I was in Madisons shoes (beginning of the apocalypse and a son needing medication to ease the withdrawal) then I would go to work to get the medication the is needed.  I have never been an addict - I would do this because of love for my child. 

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!