On Strand

strand fear the walking dead theory

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members

Most would agree that Strand is an interesting, and enigmatic, character. Here is what I a wondering:

1) Strand, for unknown reasons, chose to save Nick. He claimed that Nick, as an addict, had special skills he needed.

2) Strand is apparently vastly wealthy---is he a used car salesman? A politician? What?

3) It has been what, 2-3 days since the group escaped the military compound?

4) Strand seemed out of sorts and very nervous during E1.

Question: is Strand an addict of some sort? Did he chose Nick because he can ferret out narcotics? Is he beginning to go into withdrawal?

Lyrad13

Lyrad13

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationUpstate New York

I don't see Strand as an addict.  But I definitely think there is more to him than meets the eye.  I am hoping we find out more about him relatively soon. 

He didn't come off as out of sorts to me ,  but nervous , yes , but I gathered he knows more than he is saying to the rest of the group.   

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

Maybe I play too many video games, but to me he was involved in some sort of underground, shady business, possibly including many murders, theft and basically doing whatever the fuck he wanted. I imagine him with a lot of guns too. Okay, maybe I just need too play GTA again, it's been on my mind a lot ever since seeing Steven Ogg in the WD finale...

Mrs. DD

Mrs. DD

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationIndiana

that's interesting to me...if i'm with people i don't really know, ESPECIALLY in the apocalypse, i'm going to want to find out what skills people have, i.e. what their occupation is/was. occupation is one of the easiest things to talk about with someone. "hey, what did you do before the world went crazy?" i can't believe no one has asked him yet....or maybe having a huge house and a yacht and saving them is enough and they don't care. 

tumblr_nwtdrwFfAs1uxhwb1o4_250.gif

auximenes

auximenes

Lurker

• Members

I'm not sure the house and the boat are actually his. Maybe he worked for the owner as a personal assistant or bodyguard type person so he knows the territory.

DaneBramage

DaneBramage

Biter

• Members
  • Location16 National Championships NCAA Div I Football

As to Strand's job before the ZA- A Ray Donovan type of "fixer" (per Dave Erickson in this article)

"(When/If) You come at the King, you best not miss"- Omar Little

Vicki48

Vicki48

Lurker

• Members

"Fixer:   a person who makes arrangements for other people, especially of an illicit or devious kind."   SOunds right to me. 

Why was Strand being detained by the military?  Did  he present as  ill or was the military detaining him for another reason?  

Money has no longer has value.  Drugs no longer have value.  Food, medication now have value, but no one would have realized this just prior to the apochalypse.

Guns would be a hot currency, but I can't imagine he's hiding a huge cache of weapons on this boat.  And if that were the case, why not barter now instead of trying to get down to Mexico?  Maybe the hold on Strand is a "someone" he cares about?

What's the connection with Nick?  He's easily controllable.  Anything else?  

_Ghost_

_Ghost_

Infected

• Members

Well look at me with all the theories.

The question on hand is: Who is Strand?  And, I feel confident in saying that I have figured out who he is.  Here are all the clues provided:

1. He had a ship ready before the apocalypse started

2. He had a destination in mind instantly

3. He had a gun and a bunch of documents hidden on board his ship

4. He tried to attract as little attention to himself as possible

5. He has contacts post-apocalypse

So, looking at these clues, what is he?  Is he an apocalypse fanatic who foresaw the apocalypse?  Is he a drug addict like Nick?  Is he just a richboy?  I don't think he's any of these things.  As a matter of fact, based off these clues, I think he's:

A CRIMINAL

It makes sense.  He must have been ready to pull off a grand heist before the apocalypse.  He had the house ready as a safehouse, and the ship as an escape vehicle.  The people he made contact with were probably his associates.  San Diego was probably his final location for the great escape.  The automatic he had hidden in his ship was obviously in case the law caught up with him and the documents were probably any important information about the heist, such as where he was going, what he was going to steal, etc.

Tell what you guys think!

Edumakated

Edumakated

Infected

• Members

I think he is some sort of spy / CIA agent.  

_Ghost_

_Ghost_

Infected

• Members

I think he is some sort of spy / CIA agent.  

That can actually work too.  Maybe the government saw it coming earlier and he's communicating with some fellow CIA agents.  That just leaves me questioning why he was where he was when he met Nick.

I_Follow_You_Axel

I_Follow_You_Axel

You Follow Me?

• Moderators
  • LocationWhere Dave Met Tony

I went ahead and merged the two Strand threads together, since they both touch on what is up with Strand and what did he do before the world ended.

I think Strand was some sort of illegal business man. He was probably scooped up by the military and put in holding due to his illegal activities. He used his wealth and charm to buy the key, which led to his escape. As for where he's going, I think his connections may be able to offer him some sort of safety from the dead and other people. He needs Nick and his group to get there though.

"I ain't walking out to the woods to get my pecker bit off by a roamer, you follow me?"
- Axel (Who else, really?)

_Ghost_

_Ghost_

Infected

• Members

I went ahead and merged the two Strand threads together, since they both touch on what is up with Strand and what did he do before the world ended.

I think Strand was some sort of illegal business man. He was probably scooped up by the military and put in holding due to his illegal activities. He used his wealth and charm to buy the key, which led to his escape. As for where he's going, I think his connections may be able to offer him some sort of safety from the dead and other people. He needs Nick and his group to get there though.

Makes sense.  How about the soldier Strand knew, back where he met Nick.  The one who died on their way out and had his "jewelry".  Seems like they knew each other, and I'm not so sure it was only because of his bribes.

A for Nick, he said that he needs Nick, but so far, we have neither seen nor heard why.  I personally can't see any possible reason he'd need a ex-drug-addict, or Nick specifically, at least.  Don't get me wrong, after everything I've seen in the show about Nick, I think he's a great guy and that he's got a great personality, but that's not going to get him anywhere if Strand is any of what we've opinionated.  So where does Nick come in?

I_Follow_You_Axel

I_Follow_You_Axel

You Follow Me?

• Moderators

We know that Strand intends to head to Mexico. I think he told them about San Diego just to head south in the first place. He must have insider information from the military officer about San Diego falling or that they were going to burn it. I guess he assumes that Nick's family won't want to go to Mexico for whatever reason he's going.

Based on what we know of Strand, my guess is that he's got some sort of business deal that he wants to finish. Either he's involved with a cartel (which may explain why he'd need Nick), or he's obtaining some useful weapon or shelter, or he may be selling the group as slaves to some unknown entity, he has a strong desire to meet his contacts in Mexico. I don't think we have enough information yet to figure this out. I'd imagine that this storyline may be drawn out until the midseason finale.

"I ain't walking out to the woods to get my pecker bit off by a roamer, you follow me?"

_Ghost_

_Ghost_

Infected

• Members

Either he's involved with a cartel (which may explain why he'd need Nick)

Are you associating Nick's being hispanic with the cartel? Lmao jkjk Seriously though, how would that explain Nick's importance.

What we may not be considering is that maybe he only told Nick he was important to him only because he needed the help getting out of the place they were locked up in and now he just can't get rid of him because he is outnumbered

I_Follow_You_Axel

I_Follow_You_Axel

You Follow Me?

• Moderators

Who ever said Nick is Hispanic? Actually Frank Dillane is partially of African descent, from his mother's side, but I don't think that's part of his character.

Nick knows his pharmaceuticals and is knowledgeable in that world. Should Strand be dealing with the drug trade, it may be useful to have someone like Nick to either test the product or to advise Strand on whether he's being ripped off or not. But, if that's where they're going with this, I don't understand the need for drugs in this world anyway, unless you're looking to "opt out." Why risk your life for such a worthless thing?

I'm just trying to figure out why they would be going to Mexico in the first place. We assume Strand is up to some sort of illegal activity and Mexico is a Mecca for that sort of thing. But George mentioned the border was closed, so it's possible that Mexico closed it to keep the infection out. I'm just trying to lay all the options out, but I think we need more information in order to make a better guess. The next episode looks like it may provide more.

stableboy

stableboy

Lurker

• Members
Strand is a mystery but he is intelligent. I don't think that he would still be dealing drugs. He sees the macro. He might have dealt in arms or drugs but not anymore. And I see no issue with the firearms on board. No one said it was an automatic rifle. It could be a 22 plinking rifle. Could be for killing sharks.

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members

I wonder if Strand's name has any (not-so) hidden meaning. "The strand" is a term that we here in the States don't use a lot - it means shore, or beach. So, you could take it literally - he's a beach lover or something, lives on the beach, etc.  Or, you could go with the metaphorical meaning - like a beach, between the ocean and land, that changes depending on the tide. He's a person between two worlds, although we're not sure what those two worlds are. Old and new, obviously, but could also be the people he's in contact with (evil?), and the basically good people he has along for the ride.

stableboy

stableboy

Lurker

• Members
Or the verb to strand. As in abandon.

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members

Or the verb to strand. As in abandon.

Ooh, that's a good one, too! Didn't even think of that.

rim

rim

Infected

• Members
  • LocationCONUS
Very possible that he is a govt spy or a criminal, or maybe both. I also wouldn't be surprised if his family/kids are waiting for him in Baja, too. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

omegaman

omegaman

Roamer

• Members

All I know is the dude is hardcore.

ceb364

ceb364

Infected

• Members

It seems like he knew the infected were coming, and was well prepared. He could be an agent or spy. This could be interesting. He could be FTWD's Jenner in that he might have some knowledge of the virus/condition. If this is true, it may also mean he won't be around too long.

Vicki48

Vicki48

Lurker

• Members

I don't think Strand  knew the apochalypse was coming.  I think he's a man who thinks on his feet and has learned to change a situation to his advantage. (Seems like a useful ability/strategy  for someone into something illegal.)   I think he partnered with Nick because Nick was the best he could do; he had nothing to lose and could be easily controlled. S took the family (if I remember correctly back to S1) because they could get him  to where he needed to be.  He took the family  with him on the boat  because he knows that travelling alone is risky and that some of them may  come in useful (like for clearing filters of zombie parts).

But I think he also recognizes that there is a balance that has to be kept.   He can use people for his own needs because they , too, want to stay alive.  But if he threatens a member or pushes too hard (I think Madison is close and Strand recognizes it), he's going to have a mutiny.  I think he can sense exactly how far he dare push (cutting the raft free).

Whatever is driving Strand to Mexico is bigger than anything else in his life.  I still think it a "someone"; most likely family.  What else is worth risking your life for?

Willard

Willard

Infected

• Members
I get the feeling Strand is involved in drug smuggling. The expensive boat, , the way he bought out the guards at the camp, and his general fixer no bullshit approach. This would explain his interest in Nick. Maybe he had a deal set up and still thought he could get it done despite the ZA throwing a spanner in the works. He saw Nick as a quality control man.
Then maybe his plan changed as shit hit the fan. I don't think money is motivating him though. I get the impression he's got a personal stake. Maybe a friend or relative being held hostage until he delivers something or someone.

Nareen

Nareen

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

I don't think Strand  knew the apochalypse was coming.  I think he's a man who thinks on his feet and has learned to change a situation to his advantage. (Seems like a useful ability/strategy  for someone into something illegal.)   I think he partnered with Nick because Nick was the best he could do; he had nothing to lose and could be easily controlled. S took the family (if I remember correctly back to S1) because they could get him  to where he needed to be.  He took the family  with him on the boat  because he knows that travelling alone is risky and that some of them may  come in useful (like for clearing filters of zombie parts).

But I think he also recognizes that there is a balance that has to be kept.   He can use people for his own needs because they , too, want to stay alive.  But if he threatens a member or pushes too hard (I think Madison is close and Strand recognizes it), he's going to have a mutiny.  I think he can sense exactly how far he dare push (cutting the raft free).

Whatever is driving Strand to Mexico is bigger than anything else in his life.  I still think it a "someone"; most likely family.  What else is worth risking your life for?

I agree with most of this though I don’t think Strand is as smart as he thinks he is.  Daniel is completely on to him and Madison is close.  Both are close to the end of their tolerance too, it seems.  I suspect that the hope of a safe haven at the end of the voyage is the only thing that keeps them from deposing Strand.

No doubt that Strand is an interesting character, more for what we don’t know about him than what we do.  The show runner said he was a fixer for the rich and that certainly fits with his opportunistic, unscrupulous, sadistic and possibly sociopathic character.

But he is far from infallible.  Strand would never have escaped from the military compound or reached his house and yacht were it not for Nick’s family.  His plan fizzled when his driver was eaten and he got himself and Nick locked in a corridor with the undead.

He feels he needs people on the boat for whatever reason but didn’t have a crew lined up, though that could have gone awry.  There isn’t enough food on the boat anyway.

He has so far displayed no real survival skills except for the ability to manipulate people.  Oh and he can drive the boat but can’t repair it.  A high school teacher/amateur mechanic was better able to figure that out. 

He is depending on his companions’ decency and observance of old world rules while he breaks them himself: he expects them to obey the laws of property by acknowledging his ownership of the boat and obeying him while he breaks the number one rule by killing people/ letting them die. 

It’s hard for me to imagine someone like Strand trying so hard to get to Mexico to reach particular people, but as Vicki says, what else is there of real value in a ZA?  Why is there a time crunch? Food, guns, safety etc. are of course invaluable but you don’t necessarily have to go to Baja to get them.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!