Chances

Glenn Morgan Nicholas

leegreenman

leegreenman

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationLong Island, NY
Assuming Glenn is dead(I'm not sure he is) it seems the big theme this season is going to be the danger of giving people chances. Glen gave Nicholas a chance, really several, and we see how that turned out. Morgan let the wolves get away last year and eventually they found Aaron's bag and attacked Alexandria. Morgan let a few Wolves run from Alexandria, and they attacked Rick.
Have we gotten to the point in this world that any human kindness or empathy for a stranger is a death sentence?
What would have happened to Alexandria if they didn't let Rick and company in? Yeah, they're clearly inept, but they were making it. Their luck probably would have run out, but maybe if they just kept to themselves they could have maintained their status quo.
Up until recently, Rick was able to maintain some sort of "morality", while still being able to get stuff done. There was always a somewhat recognizable distinction between Rick and the "bad guys". Rick seems to be thinking in very black and white, concrete terms now however. If you're not 100% with him your against him. Other than Carol, it seems none of the others on board with this. Is Rick right? Is it always kill or be killed, or are there still situations where a moral, humane approach can work?

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

But if the Alexandrians didn't take the chance they wouldn't have let Rick and company in. If Rick didn't take a chance on them say by killing Aaron in the barn, then the group wouldn't have found a home. The lines between good and evil are so blurred now that you either survive on your own so you don't have to worry about others like Enid, or survive in a group and take the chance of it blowing up in your face. Rick's group lost people, Alexandrians lost people is it worth it. I think so. Like what Rosita said, having something or someone to fight for is what keeps you going.

I don't have to outrun walkers, I just have to outrun you!
Highschool Of The Dead full 240316

Metaphor

Metaphor

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationPanama

Assuming Glenn is dead(I'm not sure he is) it seems the big theme this season is going to be the danger of giving people chances. Glen gave Nicholas a chance, really several, and we see how that turned out. Morgan let the wolves get away last year and eventually they found Aaron's bag and attacked Alexandria. Morgan let a few Wolves run from Alexandria, and they attacked Rick.
Have we gotten to the point in this world that any human kindness or empathy for a stranger is a death sentence?
What would have happened to Alexandria if they didn't let Rick and company in? Yeah, they're clearly inept, but they were making it. Their luck probably would have run out, but maybe if they just kept to themselves they could have maintained their status quo.
Up until recently, Rick was able to maintain some sort of "morality", while still being able to get stuff done. There was always a somewhat recognizable distinction between Rick and the "bad guys". Rick seems to be thinking in very black and white, concrete terms now however. If you're not 100% with him your against him. Other than Carol, it seems none of the others on board with this. Is Rick right? Is it always kill or be killed, or are there still situations where a moral, humane approach can work?

Exactly. This is how I see it. But he theme was exposed after terminus really. I agree 100%.

gplus46

gplus46

Infected

• Members

Great post.  I completely agree with your "Chances" theme which has more recently been driving the show.  I continually ask the question: Is Rick's group is a plague?  Hershal had these same thoughs back in s2.  Rick's group has always introduced guns into new communities, which have clearly been attracting walkers.  The Alexandrians would likely have gone on a little while without incident.  But Deanna knew their luck would run out, she was a visionary in bringing Rick's group in; perhaps they should have better prepared mentally for such a group prior to letting them in.

On another note, there seems to be a subtle gun rights issue going on where both sides of the argument are being played out in the show.

This show is interesting IMO because it explores issues that early humans probably had to learn, and unlearn through trial and error.  Kill or be killed is the heart of survival of the fittest, and reflects a time when rehibilitation and second changes were luxuries struggling communities could not afford.  As societies became more stable, these noval ideas regarding the value of human life etc. could be considered and eventually valued. 

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!