Z Nation Vs. Fear The Walking Dead

- - - - - Z Nation Fear the Walking Dead

Z Nation vs. Fear the Walking Dead (18 )

Which one do you like more?

1. Fear the Walking Dead (3 [16.67%])

16.67%

2. Z Nation (15 [83.33%])

83.33%

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Okay, I'm not hating on FTWD.  I know it's got a better cast, bigger budget, etc, but can't lie.  I like 'em both but if you ask me which one I consider "can't miss," I'd have to go with Z Nation.

Am I alone in this?

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

KidSeventySeven

KidSeventySeven

Boomstick Commander

• Members
  • LocationPlatform 9 3/4

Honestly, I have a special, silly place in my heart for the characters on Z-Nation already, so I'm leaning in that direction. I'm still deciding how I feel about the characters of FTWD and don't have that attachment yet, should it form as the series progresses. I don't dislike FTWD, but it feels like I'm still waiting for that moment or that character to truly reel me in. So, I'll cautiously say Z Nation for now.

...but they better stop toying with my heartstrings when it comes to Doc or I'mma kick some ass, haha.

Jon is fine, dammit.

Ansceniiiic

Ansceniiiic

Zombie Herder

• Members

I enjoy the both of them. Z-Nation is a fun, goofy show that doesn't take itself seriously, and it's something I can laugh at when they do outrageous shit every episode. With Fear/The Walking Dead, I get a serious and interesting television show to watch and invest time in analysing the characters, plotlines etc..I like having a balance of both! With that said, I like the characters on Z-Nation more than FtWD at the moment. Maybe that's because we're two seasons in, as opposed to four episodes of Fear, but still. They all have likable personalities, whereas there aren't many in Fear. 

EvieSessions

EvieSessions

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationNashville, TN

I prefer FTWD, but comparing the two shows is silly. Zombies is about the only thing they have in common.

I am you and what I see, is me.

omegaman

omegaman

Roamer

• Members

Yeah I like both shows also but Z-nations a little silly. Fun for sure but if I missed it I'd be ok with it.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Great comments guys.

Kid, I don't dislike FTWD either.

If you asked me which is "better," well...  hard to see because better is a relative term

But, I find Z Nation more fun to watch and look forward to it slightly more- at least these days.

Evie I kinda see your point but I dunno... I don't care about the characters on Z- Nation in the same way I do with all things Walking Dead.

But major character deaths on Z Nation pack more of a punch than I would have expected the to.

It's not serious... but sometimes it's serious enough, if that makes any sense.

I guess the thing is that Z Nation has surpassed my expectations. It's produced by Asylum, and they've put out some stuff that didn't really impress me in the past.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

KidSeventySeven

KidSeventySeven

Boomstick Commander

• Members
  • LocationPlatform 9 3/4

Great comments guys.

Kid, I don't dislike FTWD either.

If you asked me which is "better," well...  hard to see because better is a relative term

But, I find Z Nation more fun to watch and look forward to it slightly more- at least these days.

Evie I kinda see your point but I dunno... I don't care about the characters on Z- Nation in the same way I do with all things Walking Dead.

But major character deaths on Z Nation pack more of a punch than I would have expected the to.

It's not serious... but sometimes it's serious enough, if that makes any sense.

I'm enjoying FTWD and the characters, it just always takes me a while to become really invested in a show and the people in it. It's kind of like in real life, I have to spend a decent amount of time with someone before I make up my mind about how I feel about them as a person. I mean, it took me 29 years to finally fall in love for the first time, haha. 

I don't think I'll ever cry over a death on Z Nation the way I've gotten choked up about deaths on TWD. The entertainment value of the franchises are both great, just in different ways. It's just a fun, OTT show that plays on that love of camp horror movies I grew up with. I could watch the Evil Dead trilogy a million times, gleefully. Evie, I also get where you're coming from, but I wasn't really looking at this as a compare and contrast thread. The shows are in the same realm by a tenuous technicality alone. I just took it as "Hey, which one are you more into right now?"

Jon is fine, dammit.

EvieSessions

EvieSessions

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationNashville, TN

I am enjoying the discussion here. I found myself clicking with the characters of FTWD more this last episode, simply because the show took a breath a moment. We were able to actually see some true characters traits for the first time in episode 4. The first three, they have been doing nothing but running/worrying the whole time.  Z-nation is turn off your brain fun. FTWD has a lot of subtext and things to keep in mind when watching future episodes. They are night and day different, but with a common danger. One liners versus nuance. Neither are better, they just have two vastly different approaches.

All that said, I can understand where people would prefer Z-nation for one simple reason: It knows what it is and has hit its stride.

FTWD is in it's infancy, and also isn't built on the foundation of a comic-book. The characters in FTWD are almost -too- real in their reflections of everyday people. The truth hurts more than anything, and the fact of that matter is...we all just aren't Rick Grimes or Daryl Dixon. Once these characters finally have that survival switch flipped on 100%, I think we will see the petty struggles with reality dissolve away.

I am you and what I see, is me.

KidSeventySeven

KidSeventySeven

Boomstick Commander

• Members
  • LocationPlatform 9 3/4

FTWD is in it's infancy, and also isn't built on the foundation of a comic-book. The characters in FTWD are almost -too- real in their reflections of everyday people. The truth hurts more than anything, and the fact of that matter is...we all just aren't Rick Grimes or Daryl Dixon. Once these characters finally have that survival switch flipped on 100%, I think we will see the petty struggles with reality dissolve away.

This. This is what I was talking about when I said I'm still waiting for THE moment that steals my breath, and I can't wait to have that feeling when it happens and hits me square in the gut. There are no apparent super heroes, and no true leaders yet on FTWD. I think that is it's strongest selling point and the best thing about it. We can all relate to that, as well as a lot of the dynamics in the family. So many people have grown up in a blended home and experienced similar struggles, or had a drug addled relative. My older half-brother is the Nick of our family (only without the redeeming charm and killer acting skills) and there were so many uncomfortable moments for my father trying to parent him and be accepted when we were young. It is so, so relatable in many ways. I think that may be why there's an element of unease and slowness to...what are the words I'm looking for...fully accept the show? It's almost like confronting the discomfort I grew up with when my brother was still a part of our lives. It draws me in and is painful at the same time.

Wow, didn't mean to get so deep there. You never know when revelations will hit you, I guess.

Jon is fine, dammit.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

I wasn't really looking at this as a compare and contrast thread. The shows are in the same realm by a tenuous technicality alone. I just took it as "Hey, which one are you more into right now?"

Yeah and that's more or less what I intended the thread to be.

And because TWD premiere is still a couple weeks off and there's currently not much to discuss, so I figured, what the hell :).

Immune10

Immune10

Infected

• Members
  • LocationI'm not on a boat
Znation definitely makes me laugh and I am glad it's back on, but I have a thing for Kim Dickens so that's gonna sway my vote hahaha

WalkerDub

WalkerDub

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationArkansas

I slightly prefer Znation because it is unpredictable and the setting is constantly changing.  I don't think there's much danger of this show getting stagnant.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Watching Fear the Walking Dead last night, it finally hit me.

Z Nation depicts events that are preposterous, but doesn't pretend to be anything else.

FTWD and its characters sometimes does things that I consider preposterous, but it's meant to be taken seriously.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Now that season one is over, I now understand why I prefer Z Nation.

Z Nation has a lot less in terms of budget, A-List talent, etc.

But they seem to do a lot with very little.

By contrast, I felt like FTWD had a bigger budget, bigger actors, bigger everything but didn't take full advantage of it.

The original Walking Dead show is still the one to beat, by far, but in terms of the ZA sci-fit/ survival horror stuff on TV right now, I'd have to say Fear takes last place.

No, I'm not saying that the show totally sucks or that I won't watch it next season.

I just feel like it wasn't what it could have been.

DaneBramage

DaneBramage

Biter

• Members
  • Location16 National Championships NCAA Div I Football

Friday night was funny as hell.

"(When/If) You come at the King, you best not miss"- Omar Little

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Friday night was funny as hell.

Yeah it was great stuff.

Andrew

Andrew

S-mart Employee

• Members

TWD >> Z Nation >> FTWD

I'm still waiting to see how FTWD will be different than TWD. Now that civilization has fallen, is it going to be just the West Coast version of TWD? Or will it be something different, perhaps with a real chance of a cure? Or perhaps civilization is re-established some other way, and a new society develops?

Until that is made clear, FTWD is just a slower, less-walker infested version of TWD.

Z Nation at least doesn't short-change the viewer in terms of weird and interesting storylines...the Philly Liberty Bell, the Wisconsin cheese wheel, the Z-nado, the Kansas shooting competition, the religious cult, the air vent stoner zombie, phyto-zombies, Z-weed, the cannibal cult, the all-girl group, the collector, etc...

The main thing is that they start and end a storyline in one episode, with none of the cliffhangers that TWD and FTWD throws out there.

Plus Doc is far and away THE most interesting character on zombie TV these days. His popularity is probably on par with Daryl in his prime.

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ

Damn I gotta catch up on some episodes. Haven't watched in a couple weeks.

Major Tom

Major Tom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCommonwealth of Lower Alabama

I am not a big fan of  zombie comedy, so I much prefer FTWD over Z Nation. ZN is somewhat entertaining, so I watch it, but if it were canceled I would not miss it at all.

For a reasonable fee, I will quell minor outbreaks, enforce quarantines, and dispatch infected relatives.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.

They both suck.

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

WalkerDub

WalkerDub

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationArkansas

I am not a big fan of  zombie comedy, so I much prefer FTWD over Z Nation. ZN is somewhat entertaining, so I watch it, but if it were canceled I would not miss it at all.

You didn't like Zombieland or Shaun of the Dead? 

ZombieFan102

ZombieFan102

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationUSA
I liked znation pretty cool I think it's comming back I hope it does great show to watch on syfy
1fcn6v.jpg

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!