Fear The Walking Dead Pilot Review

Fear the Walking Dead

Fear the Walking Dead Pilot Review (101 )

What is your opinion of the Pilot Episode?

1. Excellent (28 [27.72%] - )

27.72%

2. Good (49 [48.51%] - )

48.51%

3. Fair - Not what I expected (14 [13.86%] - )

13.86%

4. Poor (10 [9.90%] - )

9.90%

D_Piece

D_Piece

Biter

• Members
  • LocationIn your pantry being fat

I think the show will ultimately fail if it doesn't explain the whys/whats/hows etc of how this all started. A lot of people came into this show expecting it to fill in those specific missing gaps to TWD. I don't think people want another show with yet another vague unexplained Zombie virus that turns the world upside down. I think people went into this show wanting some explanations to further make sense of TWD. Its suppose to be the same world after all and Fear was/is suppose to be the beginning stages of it. In the end, Fear should be about connecting the dots and not becoming its own separate entity away from TWD. 

Its early, so hopefully the show still might do this. 

The creators have already said this won't happen. That's not what TWD is about. It's not about the outbreak, it's about how the people within it handle it. If knowing those broad answers makes or breaks the show for you, perhaps TWD isn't the program you seek. 

In general, I thought the pilot was pretty okay. I probably need to watch it again to make a fair judgement. I'll start with a list of gripes:

• Frank Dillane and Alycia Carey's chemistry didn't really do it for me. Their scene in the hospital felt awkward. Maybe that's what they were going for? Maybe I just misread the vibe? Not sure, but it felt bland. 
  • Sorry Travey, but you don't go to a needle infested church with potential cannibals at night. Wait until the morning? Don't trade logic for suspense. It felt cheap.
  • The screen time with Alicia and her boyfriend (can't remember his name) will be a waste unless we see him as an undead or his appearance affects her decision making in the near future. 
  • The last scene could have been sooooo much better. The director and producers fucked up big time okaying Travis and Madison's blase reaction. I didn't really appreciate Nick's sudden calm demeanor either. He's been having an existential crisis all show, then flips a switch and goes truckinator on unCal. We needed more meltdown. We needed holy shits and what the fucks. Not "what's going on?....I don't know." This was a crucial moment for our characters and the staff shit the bed. 

Things I liked:

• Nick's character is not just a drug addict. I think a lot of people are missing this. He struck me as a fairly intelligent person. He obviously cares about his mother and sister. He shows compassion. I think he has some great moments in store for us.
  • I really enjoyed how tense and suspenseful the show was when it came organically. The opener and highway scenes were excellent. The scene with the principal hunched over was not. 
  • I'm glad they withheld the fullscale shit is going down apocalypse event from the pilot. There's plenty of time to assuage the gore and chaos lovers. 
  • I love the intro. No music fluff. No image fluff. Title of the show and credit to the creators. Good shit. They can list the actors' names in white font during the opening scenes of the show. LOST did it and it was great. 

"Are you a human being? Then you are beautiful."

Vrill

Vrill

Roamer

• Banned

But it's not more of the same. They are telling a completely different story. This is telling how society and government collapsed and how people deal with that. TWD picked up after all that already happened.

This is something else I hope we see. I hope we get a look on the "inside" of whats going on. Meaning some world leaders/government/military/CDC etc discussions on what they think the problem is and what they *think* needs to be done to stop it.....then ultimately how it failed. I want to see how all of that went down behind closed doors while society scrambled to survive. 

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

The creators have already said this won't happen. That's not what TWD is about. It's not about the outbreak, it's about how the people within it handle it. If knowing those broad answers makes or breaks the show for you, perhaps TWD isn't the program you seek. 

In general, I thought the pilot was pretty okay. I probably need to watch it again to make a fair judgement. I'll start with a list of gripes:

• Frank Dillane and Alycia Carey's chemistry didn't really do it for me. Their scene in the hospital felt awkward. Maybe that's what they were going for? Maybe I just misread the vibe? Not sure, but it felt bland. 
  • Sorry Travey, but you don't go to a needle infested church with potential cannibals at night. Wait until the morning? Don't trade logic for suspense. It felt cheap.
  • The screen time with Alicia and her boyfriend (can't remember his name) will be a waste unless we see him as an undead or his appearance affects her decision making in the near future. 
  • The last scene could have been sooooo much better. The director and producers fucked up big time okaying Travis and Madison's blase reaction. I didn't really appreciate Nick's sudden calm demeanor either. He's been having an existential crisis all show, then flips a switch and goes truckinator on unCal. We needed more meltdown. We needed holy shits and what the fucks. Not "what's going on?....I don't know." This was a crucial moment for our characters and the staff shit the bed. 

Things I liked:

• Nick's character is not just a drug addict. I think a lot of people are missing this. He struck me as a fairly intelligent person. He obviously cares about his mother and sister. He shows compassion. I think he has some great moments in store for us.
  • I really enjoyed how tense and suspenseful the show was when it came organically. The opener and highway scenes were excellent. The scene with the principal hunched over was not. 
  • I'm glad they withheld the fullscale shit is going down apocalypse event from the pilot. There's plenty of time to assuage the gore and chaos lovers. 
  • I love the intro. No music fluff. No image fluff. Title of the show and credit to the creators. Good shit. They can list the actors' names in white font during the opening scenes of the show. LOST did it and it was great. 

Pretty much agree with everything you posted. That might be a first. haha

This is something else I hope we see. I hope we get a look on the "inside" of whats going on. Meaning some world leaders/government/military/CDC etc discussions on what they think the problem is and what they *think* needs to be done to stop it.....then ultimately how it failed. I want to see how all of that went down behind closed doors while society scrambled to survive. 

As I, and others have posted, it is highly unlikely that any of that will be shown.

The show is about our character's reaction to society collapsing. Our characters would not have any knowledge of how it all fell apart. The unknown adds despair to the character's situation.

D_Piece

D_Piece

Biter

• Members
  • LocationIn your pantry being fat

Pretty much agree with everything you posted. That might be a first. haha

walking-dead-mind-blown-o.gif

"Are you a human being? Then you are beautiful."

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members

Yeah, there was a complete lack of chemistry, and what there was appeared very forced. Making out in the kitchen in the morning before running off to school and work, trying to get your daughter out of bed, making lunch ... and your son is obviously missing, and you're half-expecting a phone call. Yeah, all that really puts me in the mood. Maybe I'm just old.

"Truckinator." I like that. On their reactions at the end, I can't decide if this is specific to Kirkman, or just Hollywood/TV in general. People always seem to make these huge leaps from Everyman to Super-Duper Zombie Killer in way too little time. All these folks should be traumatized, but maybe that's what makes them survivors. Still, it just never rings true (I had lots of problems with Maggie's ability to kill real people, for example).

Oh, and if Gloria OD's and died in bed (such as it was) next to him, why didn't she wake up and just start chomping on  him? Or, did she get up looking for more stuff, and then OD? Not terribly relevant, really, but more indication that plot-holes won't be a major stumbling block here.

Finally ... this isn't really a pilot, right? I thought "pilot" meant an show that they make and broadcast, hoping it will get good enough ratings to be picked up as a series. Like original Star Trek - took them two pilots to convince anyone at NBC that the show was worth picking up. They're already talking about this as the first season (it's been picked up for second, right?).

cdh718

cdh718

Infected

• Members

Chock full of stereotypes and lack of creativity.

1. The standard angry teen

2. The black drug dealer

3. The smart people making dumb choices,( investigating the church by yourself at night)

4. The person ignoring the rules and risking their job for no reason, (the nurse untying Nick)

5. People keeping secrets for no good reason.

6. The false reveal. (The principal listening in to the classes)

7. Suburban White Privilege ( Mom comes into room and yells at cops, Cops do nothing)

8. The black guy dies early

9. Another false reveal ( The junkie stayed in the church)

10. The "Give me a break" moment. The heroin addict who just got hit by a car, escaped from a hospital, slept at the overpass, hasn't eaten, and is still physically injured to the point of a limp is somehow able to overpower the healthy, rested and physically stronger drug dealer bent on killing him.

So needless to say I was not impressed.

.......and YES I will be watching next week. 

I can't wait for the Bloods vs Crips vs Zombies episode. Compton during the Zombie outbreak should be EPIC.

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

Yeah, there was a complete lack of chemistry, and what there was appeared very forced. Making out in the kitchen in the morning before running off to school and work, trying to get your daughter out of bed, making lunch ... and your son is obviously missing, and you're half-expecting a phone call. Yeah, all that really puts me in the mood. Maybe I'm just old.

What? That's when I'm feeling the most frisky! 

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

"Truckinator." I like that. On their reactions at the end, I can't decide if this is specific to Kirkman, or just Hollywood/TV in general. People always seem to make these huge leaps from Everyman to Super-Duper Zombie Killer in way too little time. All these folks should be traumatized, but maybe that's what makes them survivors. Still, it just never rings true (I had lots of problems with Maggie's ability to kill real people, for example).

Oh, and if Gloria OD's and died in bed (such as it was) next to him, why didn't she wake up and just start chomping on  him? Or, did she get up looking for more stuff, and then OD? Not terribly relevant, really, but more indication that plot-holes won't be a major stumbling block here.

Finally ... this isn't really a pilot, right? I thought "pilot" meant an show that they make and broadcast, hoping it will get good enough ratings to be picked up as a series. Like original Star Trek - took them two pilots to convince anyone at NBC that the show was worth picking up. They're already talking about this as the first season (it's been picked up for second, right?).

A pilot just means the first episode of a new series. FtWD has already been picked up for a second season, but it's still the pilot episode regardless.

ETA: AMC referred to this episode at the Pilot. No title for the episode.

Crumple

Crumple

Infected

• Members
  • LocationNY

Rated it good and can't wait for next week.

Was wondering about the church though...when Travis went back to check it out...where did Gloria go?  And I guess the other junkies would reanimate also...where are they?

Terminus2014

Terminus2014

Infected

• Members

Gloria...the junkie and first walker we see...is NOT Zombie 01...not the first

Remember the teen the mom takes the knife from...he mentions this has been going on for a while, and I believe he says its happening in 5 states or something.

I doubt Gloria is even the first LA Walker to turn...I think we are seeing the point where it starts to go from a few isolated incidents easily hid from the media to public knowledge/panic and then the beginnings of full chaos, martial law, and the eventual collapse

Terminus2014

Terminus2014

Infected

• Members

I also think...just guessing...that part of the reason society collapses is not JUST walker vs authorities...I think all the people looting, the civil unrest contribute greatly to the end...the cops and military can barely handle the hordes of the undead, but throw in looters, gangs, and others taking advantage of the situation and that's ALL she wrote

Current politics and events always end up on these shows, at least brief hints...so

that's my guess lol

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members

A pilot just means the first episode of a new series. FtWD has already been picked up for a second season, but it's still the pilot episode regardless.

AMC used it? I just looked, and wow, they did. Yeah, OK, I have no more hope for the English language. Wikipedia and various other definitions say "A television pilot (also known as a pilot or a pilot episode) is a standalone episode of a television series that is used to sell the show to a television network." Guess they just ran out of words.

What? That's when I'm feeling the most frisky! 

Hm, my wife, too, come to think of it!

Chock full of stereotypes and lack of creativity.

{snip}

7. Suburban White Privilege ( Mom comes into room and yells at cops, Cops do nothing)

{snip}

10. The "Give me a break" moment. The heroin addict who just got hit by a car, escaped from a hospital, slept at the overpass, hasn't eaten, and is still physically injured to the point of a limp is somehow able to overpower the healthy, rested and physically stronger drug dealer bent on killing him.

So needless to say I was not impressed.

{snip}

Yeah, the cops just clearing out after the high school counselor comes in and yells at them was priceless. LA cops are apparently wimps. And number 10? Welcome to Kirkman's world of super-fast recovery (cf. Rick Grimes, repeatedly. Heck, Glenn with a bullet in his shoulder.)

I should stop, I feel like I'm coming through very negatively on the show, when it wasn't that bad, all things considered.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members

Actually, Chinghis is partially correct. A pilot is an episode made to sell a show to a network, not to the viewing audience. If the show is given the green light the pilot usually comprises the first episode of the series. But sometimes roles are recast or other parts of the show are different enough where the pilot is re-shot for broadcast or disregarded and canned completely.

If you look up the time line, you'll see AMC ordered a pilot in September 2014, and in March 2015, ordered a series with a 2-season commitment. So in that 6-month time-frame, most likely something resembling what we saw last night was produced and shown to AMC. Since March they possibly reshot some of it and/or added some content to get it to 64 minutes.

Crumple

Crumple

Infected

• Members
  • LocationNY

Watched it again and liked it better the 2nd time.

I see how some might malign the reaction of Travis and Madison when they see reanimated Calvin...

But I think that reaction is probably realistic...just shock and freezing up as the brain tries to process what's happening.

Macek11

Macek11

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationLA

Contemplating whether I should watch it or wait and watch two or three at a time...

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
First off media and government. Our government (U.S.)
Would not allow for this to get out. They'll threatend to close any network that even trues to mention this. Look at how people react to a flu or ebola. People freak. Now tell them people are dying coming back and eating people. Mass fucking chaos. At first nobody will belive it and then think. Must be drug related.

Then youtube will blow up witit happening. But people who pribably get the first videos up close get killed. They don't know what's going on. They see something fucking crazy and stop and record it. Honestly that's life now if you have a smartphone. Then they're in shock by what they see once their brains finally tells their legs to get the fuck going chances are it's too late. We saw two videos from the guy on the interstate and most people thought the one on youtube was fake. As they would in real life. Seriously ever see some videos people put on there? People are magic with makeup and acting.

I can't stand the mom. Talking about how the church is used for shooting up so yea. Things will look bad...then she goes in sees blood and say "something bad happened here." No shit two people just told you that one not reliable but the other is very reliable. Yet....you still act like nothing big happened. Also, why did they not call the cops?

People act different towards certain shocking moments. First you had nicking freaking about shooting a guy...they saw no evidence of that. Then they find him in a tunnel and he tries to bite them. It's erratic behavior Nick hits him with the car. Twice. and they were still in shock. Lets not forget travis already saw this with the cops shooting a guy he sorta new something was off.

General Ian Zane

General Ian Zane

Roamer

• Members

hope it improves

DaneBramage

DaneBramage

Biter

• Members
  • Location16 National Championships NCAA Div I Football

I agree with the Johnny depp thing too. The kid is good.

I liked it. I wasn't bothered by it not being fast or whatever people are complaining about. And I thought the actor who played Nick was astounding. I don't think I've ever felt anything for a junkie but this guy did it for me. That scene when he's crying on Cal's shoulders was very real and powerful.
He also lets off a very Johnny Deppesque vibe.
Edited to add: I see I'm not the only one who saw some Johnny Depp.

I didn't think it was slow.  :smiley-confused002:   I loved, LOVED TWD's pilot, but I also liked how this one was going for a completely different build up.  I still felt tons of tension.  I rated it 'good' because I thought the parents reaction after running over Cal a number of times, etc. was super blase and unrealistic.  I think they would have been having a meltdown.  They just saw someone killed in front of them, more than once. And keep coming.  

I thought Nick was the best actor there.  I really bought how borderline bonkers he was, not knowing if he was going insane, or if he really saw what he thought he saw.  Great acting.  THAT is a realistic response to seeing the kinds of stuff he was seeing.  

Anyway, I didn't think it was perfect, but I'm really looking forward to seeing this season unfold, and seeing it unfold differently than TWD.  I always wanted to see more scenes in TWD from when the epidemic was just starting, and now we get it!  

This episode gave me chills because it reminds me a little of Contagion.  The break down of society - how it starts slowly, with disbelief and nonchalance, before it juggernauts into uncontrollable fear and chaos.  :zombie02: Very scary stuff. 

I'm on page one and wanted to touch and echo most of what is said above.

The first half first year in a usual series is usually a character establishment phase- then we get into the main story. I think this will be the entire the season with the tapestry of the ZA unfolding- from what I have read the real sh!t hits the fan season 2.

With that said, the character establishment and development will be laying the foundation of what will be a solid addition to the TWD franchise.

With out a doubt Dillane's performance overshadowed two solid established actors (Dickens, Curtis). This dude has chops for a young'un.

Page 2

As far as how Gloria - or whoever died first - got turned, I'll have to go back and watch the scene again.  It kind of looked like she had a bar or something stuck through her gut, so maybe she fell on it.  But my best guess would be that whoever died first likely overdosed, died, and came back.  If she was the first one to die, my guess is that she either fell on the bar after she was a walker, or else one of the people she chewed on tried to fend her off with the bar(obviously unsuccessfully).  

Ah-HAH! That is where I remember the Madison actress from! Lost! Thanks, Steph! ;)

I get that the parents are supposed to be in shock and all that, but the last scene reactions were still done completely wrong; no excuses for that. 

I am hopeful that Nick will find time for a shower before the water gets shut off, ha ha! 

On an extremely shallow note, I'm a little concerned that so far there is no one I find attractive... :blush2:

Just re-spied this and She most likely OD'd and then turned I cant's tell but there's a lot of blood on the right side of her neck too like a bite- too dark to make out maybe I can get some caps and play with the lighting..That's a big Butcher Knife in her gut - the dark wooden handle looks like some sort of pole or rod HTH.

Page 3

Things I liked:

I agree with most of what you have said here D.  Frank and Alycia's chemestry was spot on (as a recovering Alcoholic/Cocaine fiend) it was like a scene with my sister and I when I was in my late 20's... Awkward was perfect. Also thanks for pointing out that people with addiction issued are often intelligent loving funny people.

Remember, Cliff's going to the church at night was ok (not very smart with out a weapon - not for Zeds but addicts robbing him).- that's where people should have been so he could get verification of Dillane's story. Alycia's boyfriend ( Maestro Harrell- another alum from "The Wire"- drinkers take a shot :D ) is prolly a Zed and will turn up later- he was only listed as being in ep 1...

As for the last scene- I think the Adult's reactions were that of "gobsmacked" speechless and stunned from seeing a definately dead person keep getting up...

Gotta stop here folks later! Looking forward to Ep 02 and issue 146 of the comic :pinheadani:

"(When/If) You come at the King, you best not miss"- Omar Little

sera7

sera7

Infected

• Members

It was ok/kinda good  The one thing I did like is how they included more info about the characters lives before they were all in survival mode. The only problem is I dont like the characters. I cant help but compare them the originals.

Ill keep watching unless it really goes downhill.

The world we know is gone, but keeping our humanity...thats a choice.

jaco

jaco

Roamer

• Members

Just rewatched it.  Hmm..I want to like it so much better than I do.   Of all the ideas for a spin off, the one that sticks is about two teachers (one with a crappy pick up truck having an on again, off again broken windshield), a junkie and a snotty teenage girl.  Yikes.  So much potential wasted.   A big part of the issue (beyond the characters) is the casting.  Kim Dickens is not strong enough to carry a series.  At least not this one.  She's wooden and mostly expressionless.  And there's zero chemistry.

They really need to introduce some new actors/characters to this cast a.s.a.p.

bdizzle1686

bdizzle1686

Lurker

• Members

I'm on page one and wanted to touch and echo most of what is said above.

The first half first year in a usual series is usually a character establishment phase- then we get into the main story. I think this will be the entire the season with the tapestry of the ZA unfolding- from what I have read the real sh!t hits the fan season 2.

With that said, the character establishment and development will be laying the foundation of what will be a solid addition to the TWD franchise.

With out a doubt Dillane's performance overshadowed two solid established actors (Dickens, Curtis). This dude has chops for a young'un.

Page 2
Just re-spied this and She most likely OD'd and then turned I cant's tell but there's a lot of blood on the right side of her neck too like a bite- too dark to make out maybe I can get some caps and play with the lighting..That's a big Butcher Knife in her gut - the dark wooden handle looks like some sort of pole or rod HTH.

Page 3

I agree with most of what you have said here D. Frank and Alycia's chemestry was spot on (as a recovering Alcoholic/Cocaine fiend) it was like a scene with my sister and I when I was in my late 20's... Awkward was perfect. Also thanks for pointing out that people with addiction issued are often intelligent loving funny people.

Remember, Cliff's going to the church at night was ok (not very smart with out a weapon - not for Zeds but addicts robbing him).- that's where people should have been so he could get verification of Dillane's story. Alycia's boyfriend ( Maestro Harrell- another alum from "The Wire"- drinkers take a shot :D ) is prolly a Zed and will turn up later- he was only listed as being in ep 1...
As for the last scene- I think the Adult's reactions were that of "gobsmacked" speechless and stunned from seeing a definately dead person keep getting up...

Gotta stop here folks later! Looking forward to Ep 02 and issue 146 of the comic :pinheadani:

u speak VERY confidently when it comes to describing the formula of how the show WILL go, almost as if having deep insider knowledge of not only how a tv show goes, but how THIS exact TV show will go, eh, Rober- I mean, um, Dane...? Not to mention the shameless *subtle* plug/reminder to everyone to make sure to tune in for your-- I MEAN, Robert Kirkmans upcoming next issue/episode... hehehe

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ

I liked it. The show definitely has promise. Can't wait to see L.A. fall. haha

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

The "haha" at the end of your post says it all lol

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

I really liked it. I know its hard to try not to compare the two series and let this one develop on its own. I agree it was a bit slow to start but that's to be expected with the characters not knowing what we already know. I thought the characters were well thought out, each with their own abilities and weaknesses, it will be interesting to see how they survive together. 

I don't have to outrun walkers, I just have to outrun you!
Highschool Of The Dead full 240316

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members

I really liked it. I know its hard to try not to compare the two series and let this one develop on its own. I agree it was a bit slow to start but that's to be expected with the characters not knowing what we already know. I thought the characters were well thought out, each with their own abilities and weaknesses, it will be interesting to see how they survive together. 

For some reason, your post raised this question in my mind: If we had never seen TWD, how would we react to this show? I have a feeling that the answer is, "poorly." Maybe this is why the LA Times thought that it was an almost-comical episode; we know what's going on, but, the characters in the series don't, so that makes it kind of absurd (in the classic sense).

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!