Photo

Chances Of Seeing Dwight In The Show (Comic Spoilers)?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Boone

Boone

Biter

• Members
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationUp the Academy
What are the chances?

At least appearance-wise he's similar to Daryl and, of course, utilises the crossbow. As small an issue it may be to some, I don't think the writers/AMC will want audiences to draw comparisons.

In fact I'm not sure why Kirkman created Dwight in a similar (literal) fashion other than to screw with TV fans during the promo period leading to issue 100.

I imagine they'll take the crossbow away, potentially the biker get-up and maybe changing the name to avoid people asking what the point was of, yeah, keeping the name. So yeah, basically a completely different character with the same arc.

Thoughts?

Walker_Bait

Walker_Bait

Biter

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Part of Dwight's use on the show could be as a foil to Daryl such that they have him keep similar clothing and skills.

Soaked_Pancakes

Soaked_Pancakes

Roamer

• Members
  • 729 posts
  • LocationCanadensis, Pennsylvania

Everybody's favorite character, Shumpert utilized a crossbow and he was never Daryl's foil. He was better than Daryl.

So long as the tv show continues adapting the comic, then I'm absolutely sure that we'll meet Dwight. He's too big of a character to not include. I don't think he really has much of a biker get-up... I mean, he wears a vest, sure, but that and the crossbow don't really make me a copy of Daryl. Most of his face is scarred, and he has very little hair. He doesn't wear a shirt under his vest, and his pants look tight, as opposed to the baggy pants that Daryl wears. Dwight also carries his weapons over himself, whereas Daryl carries with his hands. Dwight's a more assertive character who will openly chase what we wants when he has the means to acquire them. Dwight has some leadership qualities. Dwight's willing to make necessary sacrifices. Daryl's much more reserved and more of a follower. He puts others ahead of himself, and isn't entirely sure what he even wants for himself. Daryl will do everything he can to save another person, no matter who they are.

I don't know why, but I read Dwight as being heavily Irish. That's a huge enough distinction from Daryl ;P

Tv filming spoilers:

Spoiler

Remember when people thought Eugene wouldn't make it into the tv show because Milton was too similar of a character?

Posted Image

Koibito

Koibito

Biter

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationIn a Gangsta's Paradise ♪♫

I agree and disagree with Soaked. Firstly, I do think he is one of the more likely ''biker-origin'' Savior members. He has tattoos all over his arms that makes me think he didnt use to be an office worker. His overall outfit and ruggishness makes me think '' yeah, he's a biker. '' And there are Irish bikers too, y'know. :P 

(I myself dont picture him sounding irish, in my mind, Dwight has Keith Szarabajka's voice, or t be more specific, Joshua Graham's. Coarse but still somewhat smooth.  Similarly, Negan to me sounds pretty much like Trevor from GTA V.)

Spoiler

But otherwise, yeah, Soaked said everything I wanted to say. They have similarities, but in no way other than maybe visual is Dwight's Daryl's foil.

Two very different people.

pFzsRFe.png

Soaked_Pancakes

Soaked_Pancakes

Roamer

• Members
  • 729 posts
  • LocationCanadensis, Pennsylvania

Oh yeah, I'm not saying Dwight doesn't have a biker background -- just that I think there's plenty to separate him and Daryl. But if we're going to go to root backgrounds, I'd argue that. Most of what we now know about Daryl's background feels faintly insinuated even in early episodes of the tv series. I'm just not feeling a life of abuse out of Dwight. At least, not up until he met Negan lol.

Of course the Irish can be bikers! lol. I was just saying that I interpret Dwight as Irish to further distinguish him from Daryl. There had to have been something he said or did early on to make me view him that way...

I know you can't tell for sure with just panels in a comic, but even Dwight's body language comes off as totally different from Daryl's. Norman Reedus always plays Daryl's body language as having a level of uncertainty to the world around him, like if he wasn't with people he deeply trusted, he'd be a cat scared of its own shadow. Daryl has a lack of confidence in himself. He even slouches ever so slightly with his walk. Dwight feels very sure of himself, always an upright posture, never doubts his own actions and seems to be at his most content when he's doing things on his own.

Daryl and Dwight are radically different people. There's no way that Dwight won't be included on the show, and I doubt that he'd be used as an antithesis to Daryl. I wouldn't even expect them to interact much. In the comics, Dwight pretty much exclusively interacts with Rick, Negan, Jesus, Michonne, Eugene, and Ezekiel. Small bits with Carl, Holly, Carson, Mark, Sherry, and Amber. Dwight's not really a part of Rick's crew, so there's not much of a reason for him to interact with any of the group, although I wouldn't be against the show elaborating on his relationships with others.

I mean, the show used Noah and Nicholas as reflections of Glenn, so why would there be problems with Dwight, a character who's almost completely unlike Daryl?

Edited by Soaked_Pancakes, Yesterday, 11:27 PM.

Posted Image

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Biter

• Members
  • 1,906 posts
  • LocationArkham, Massachusetts

I'm sure we'll see Dwight. There's similarities to Daryl, but I think it would be pretty easy to make him different. 

I don't see having two crossbow wielding characters as a problem really, but if they really wanted to change things up, Dwight could use a compound bow instead of a crossbow.

Something like that.

I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain.

Macek11

Macek11

Roamer

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationLA
Yeah I'm sure we'll see Dwight for sure.
I think it's possible he just might not have the crossbow. Lol if he does TV fans will just see him as some sort of Daryl poser.

I don't think he will kill anybody from the group either upon his introduction.. I just can't see TV fans ever forgiving him if he killed a fan favorite.. Especially if he ends up leading the saviors after they join the network.

His appearance may be different, but yeah his arc will be the same. I think his role may be minimized, all they really need him for is to be the guy on the inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!