The Walking Dead Issue #143 Review

- - - - - The Walking Dead Comic Series Issue Review Exo Epic Comic Book Rick Alpha Compendium 3

ThatEpicBeast U Know

ThatEpicBeast U Know

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationVermont

The "Ezekiel is killed by Alpha" is a theory that could be proven wrong.

1. Rick, Andrea, Michonne, and Dante left with only Maggie and Eugene watching them go. It's unknown if Ezekiel and everyone else were notified of their absence.

2. When Pete told Ezekiel to go after Michonne, I believe what he meant was that he should force himself into Michonne's life again and not be so awkward like he was back in #139. They never mention anything about her leaving the fair with Rick and the others.

3. As an add-on to #1, if Ezekiel DOES know she left, he has no idea where exactly to go because The Whisperers move around a lot and Dante's the only good source to find them, and Michonne's with him, so there's a lose-lose right there.

I may be wrong, but looking between the lines makes a good theory/prediction. Or in this case, shutting it down.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube....suSrDxf3qF6z34w (Epic A)

Chryz707

Chryz707

Lurker

• Members

Carl in my opinion is playning the part very well of an Angry teenager.  His actions are almost expected of someome his age and thats why that can get him in trouble. So far we have not see Alpha kill anyone.  I believe she is a formidable adversary, but all and all I think the Whisperers are simply trying to survive their way.  I think Rick has come a long way as a leader, but still think is impulsiveness could trigger something negative in the end. 

I do believe Carl will stay and want to stay with the Whisperers and eventually get a skin for his face.  WIth him missing an eye he will be in more danger as he will have even less vision in the one working eye he does have.  Issue 150 is looming and I think the next Major Death is waiting for this! 

Ezekial could be dead but at this point its a guessing game!   We shall soon see!

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
An off panel zeke death would be the worst though. I think kirkman would want us to see it. He would want us to dislike Alpha even more. Having her do it off panel doesn't hit as hard as showing it on panel. That's just my way of thinking though. To me it's a nobody and kirkman wants us to talk and think about it.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.

An off panel zeke death would be the worst though. I think kirkman would want us to see it. He would want us to dislike Alpha even more. Having her do it off panel doesn't hit as hard as showing it on panel. That's just my way of thinking though. To me it's a nobody and kirkman wants us to talk and think about it.

I really would not care if Zeke died off panel........nothing so far has made me care about his ass.

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

ThatEpicBeast U Know

ThatEpicBeast U Know

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationVermont

I really would not care if Zeke died off panel........nothing so far has made me care about his ass.

Not even when he... shit, I got nothing.

DHeav60

DHeav60

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ
I think the bloody machete is just an intimidation tactic by Alpha. She could of had the whisperers kill Rick, Carl, Andrea, Michonne, and Dante very easily. No one in ASZ would probably ever find out what happened. But I don't think Alpha wants that. She'd rather keep Rick and the rest alive, because her goal is to keep the whisperers isolated. She cannot have whisperers find out how successful Rick's civilization is - because they might want to jump ship.

I also find it interesting that only Alpha has name. Kind of stupid really - even though animals don't have names, they still have identities. I wonder about the whisperer power structure. Even Negan had lieutenants. It's pretty hard to delegate power/responsibility if nobody has a name.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
At this point i like Zeke far more than Rick and Maggie. They both let power get to them and have huge egos. Zeke seems to be the one leader other than Dwight who hasn't been a total douche. His people at the time sort of respect him when he was leader of the kingdom. I get the fact that he let Negan control things but who didn't? Gregory sas a douche and had no backbone and hilltop and savoirs feared, Negan as well. It wasn't until Rick came along is when it started to change. Everyone was still a coward but they had someone stick up for them.

Me opinion alone is Rick wants there to be good and he's doing what he thinks is right. However, the power is getting to him and Maggie. We are already seeing each community start to he there own seperate place. They go with the no kill rule yet Maggie has done it and Rick keeps saying he's going...those two are on my last nerve.

ThatEpicBeast U Know

ThatEpicBeast U Know

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationVermont

I think the bloody machete is just an intimidation tactic by Alpha. She could of had the whisperers kill Rick, Carl, Andrea, Michonne, and Dante very easily. No one in ASZ would probably ever find out what happened. But I don't think Alpha wants that. She'd rather keep Rick and the rest alive, because her goal is to keep the whisperers isolated. She cannot have whisperers find out how successful Rick's civilization is - because they might want to jump ship.

I also find it interesting that only Alpha has name. Kind of stupid really - even though animals don't have names, they still have identities. I wonder about the whisperer power structure. Even Negan had lieutenants. It's pretty hard to delegate power/responsibility if nobody has a name.

I think you're right on the text that I underlined.

Also, Alpha's name is kinda like Alpha Wolf; they all follow her or something.  I don't really follow animals and their rankings that they make.  Sorry.

WalkerSniper

WalkerSniper

Infected

• Members
  • LocationEngland

That could be why she's the only one with a firearm. That shotgun she carries while a horrible choice, given its a hell of a noise maker, could also be a sign of power. The one with the gun makes the rules as they say.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.

If she is at the head of the pack per say it can also direct the herds. 

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

DHeav60

DHeav60

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

That could be why she's the only one with a firearm. That shotgun she carries while a horrible choice, given its a hell of a noise maker, could also be a sign of power. The one with the gun makes the rules as they say.

Also contradicts Alpha's whole "We are nothing but animals" philosophy.

That_Guy_From_NY

That_Guy_From_NY

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationQueens

This was a weird issue for me. Alpha is WAY over confident. Yeah she has shitton of zombies but we've seen that zombies are literally no threat whatsoever anymore. Even in mass they can and will be handled with minimal casualties. After No Way Out and seeing 10 people take out what seemed to be at least a couple hundred zombies and seeing the Saviors escapse Rick's zombie trap in All Out War both quickly and easily, i was VERY unimpressed with Alpha's threat. She's so sure of herself but I think she's in over her head with Rick. If she tries to test Rick she's going to lose. She's also showing her hand too soon; now that Rick knows exactly what he's up against he can defintely take her. He's got guns, and battle tested soliders. If Alpha has really killed other groups already I find it likely she's never faced anyone like Rick. Her style seems to be based solely on invisibility and surprise, she's lost both those advantages now.

Carl seems like he may have something up his sleeve which would explain his unwillingness to up and leave. I find it a little annoying that he's so attached to this girl but i guess it makes sense... i just always felt he was smarter than that... I'm keeping faith that he knows what he's doing and has at least a half baked plan. He does have a point, this is a little girl who's being raped so often she doesn't even realize it's bad. Her mom is nuts and does nothing to stop it, they wear dead people's faces and she's still young enough to have a life if they can get her away from the Whispers. Carl is morally right in this situation but at least part of his motivation is for the wrong reasons. Still, he's always been a tough and reasonably smart character so i'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he's planning something.

Everyone saying Rick is acting out of character... i disagree. Rick very rarely makes first contact well. He likes to test people and see what they are willing to do before he interacts with them. When he met Aaron he punched him in the face. When they met Jesus they jumped him and tied him up. When he met the Saviors he killed like 6 people. The 2 exceptions seem to be when he met Zeke and when he met The Gov. Rick is also quick to threats and quick to action, always has been, it's how he likes to establish his authority quickly. He's expected to appear tough, especially with so much shit physically wrong with him. Negan tends to be the only person who calls him out on his  "tough guy act". So I think it was very much IN character for Rick to threaten to kill that dude just to see how the dude reacted. Kirkman pointed out once that because we've spent so much time with Rick and saw his evolution that he seems more sane when in his own enviorment but when he interacts with other people he comes off as a dick. He says Rick would generally just be this weird guy who's unpleasant to be around. 

This post got longer than I expected it to be...

But the headlines of it are basically that:

Alpha is over confident, I think Rick and co can take her.

I think Carl probably has a plan.

Rick has kinda always been a dick to people

ThatEpicBeast U Know

ThatEpicBeast U Know

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationVermont

This was a weird issue for me. Alpha is WAY over confident. Yeah she has shitton of zombies but we've seen that zombies are literally no threat whatsoever anymore. Even in mass they can and will be handled with minimal casualties. After No Way Out and seeing 10 people take out what seemed to be at least a couple hundred zombies and seeing the Saviors escapse Rick's zombie trap in All Out War both quickly and easily, i was VERY unimpressed with Alpha's threat. She's so sure of herself but I think she's in over her head with Rick. If she tries to test Rick she's going to lose. She's also showing her hand too soon; now that Rick knows exactly what he's up against he can defintely take her. He's got guns, and battle tested soliders. If Alpha has really killed other groups already I find it likely she's never faced anyone like Rick. Her style seems to be based solely on invisibility and surprise, she's lost both those advantages now.

Carl seems like he may have something up his sleeve which would explain his unwillingness to up and leave. I find it a little annoying that he's so attached to this girl but i guess it makes sense... i just always felt he was smarter than that... I'm keeping faith that he knows what he's doing and has at least a half baked plan. He does have a point, this is a little girl who's being raped so often she doesn't even realize it's bad. Her mom is nuts and does nothing to stop it, they wear dead people's faces and she's still young enough to have a life if they can get her away from the Whispers. Carl is morally right in this situation but at least part of his motivation is for the wrong reasons. Still, he's always been a tough and reasonably smart character so i'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he's planning something.

Everyone saying Rick is acting out of character... i disagree. Rick very rarely makes first contact well. He likes to test people and see what they are willing to do before he interacts with them. When he met Aaron he punched him in the face. When they met Jesus they jumped him and tied him up. When he met the Saviors he killed like 6 people. The 2 exceptions seem to be when he met Zeke and when he met The Gov. Rick is also quick to threats and quick to action, always has been, it's how he likes to establish his authority quickly. He's expected to appear tough, especially with so much shit physically wrong with him. Negan tends to be the only person who calls him out on his  "tough guy act". So I think it was very much IN character for Rick to threaten to kill that dude just to see how the dude reacted. Kirkman pointed out once that because we've spent so much time with Rick and saw his evolution that he seems more sane when in his own enviorment but when he interacts with other people he comes off as a dick. He says Rick would generally just be this weird guy who's unpleasant to be around. 

This post got longer than I expected it to be...

But the headlines of it are basically that:

Alpha is over confident, I think Rick and co can take her.

I think Carl probably has a plan.

Rick has kinda always been a dick to people

Yeah.  He's yelled at Olivia, Benjamin, Maggie and a bit at Carl, also Alpha (?), and some others, I believe.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Were all the walkers at the end, actual walkers or whisperers? or a mix?

I wondered the same thing at first.  But I'm pretty sure now that they were probably walkers. That raises a question: how can she threaten Rick's group with a gigantic horde of walkers? Can she actually control such a huge group and steer them toward the communities and will we see that? It sounds a little absurd.

Maybe they've been wearing walker skin for so long they actually believe that they are part walker themselves and therefore they can lead them like some grotesque army.  I just didn't get that ending.

This was my biggest concern with adding so many characters during and after All Out War.

The book is becoming a bit of a jumbled mess seems like Kirkman might have to many irons in the fire at the moment.

11537702_10204274184724669_7612020085114

Agree.

The story is just going in too many different directions.

NOTE:

Went back and checked. In issue 138 Dante tells Maggie they couldn't see much, but he could hear and the whisperers sounded like thousands.

I'm starting to wonder if the gigantic horde could in fact be whisperers

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

DHeav60

DHeav60

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

I wondered the same thing at first.  But I'm pretty sure now that they were probably walkers. That raises a question: how can she threaten Rick's group with a gigantic horde of walkers? Can she actually control such a huge group and steer them toward the communities and will we see that? It sounds a little absurd.

Doesn't sound too absurd to me. Wearing the walker skins basically makes them immune to attacks. With the large number of whisperers leading the pack and perhaps taking up positions around the herd, and/or mixed in with the herd - it would be very easy to control the herds movement and effectively weaponize the zombie herd.
The biggest problem that Alpha has - is she has no idea the scientific capabilities of Rick's group. The fact that Ricks' group is heavily armed and has huge stockpiles of ammunition - they could cut down a walker heard and decimate the Whisperer army pretty quickly. Alpha doesn't know about Eugene and the bullet factory, she's probably never encountered a group so prepared for the ZA as Rick's group.

That_Guy_From_NY

That_Guy_From_NY

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationQueens

Doesn't sound too absurd to me. Wearing the walker skins basically makes them immune to attacks. With the large number of whisperers leading the pack and perhaps taking up positions around the herd, and/or mixed in with the herd - it would be very easy to control the herds movement and effectively weaponize the zombie herd.
The biggest problem that Alpha has - is she has no idea the scientific capabilities of Rick's group. The fact that Ricks' group is heavily armed and has huge stockpiles of ammunition - they could cut down a walker heard and decimate the Whisperer army pretty quickly. Alpha doesn't know about Eugene and the bullet factory, she's probably never encountered a group so prepared for the ZA as Rick's group.

Agreed. Alpha thinks she's like this untouchable god or something. Really she has no idea the trouble she's getting herself into with Rick and co. She's definitely dangerous and can hurt Rick's group if a war starts but she stands no chance of winning in the end. Rick can take her and her equally crazy knife wielding peons 

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

Agreed. Alpha thinks she's like this untouchable god or something. Really she has no idea the trouble she's getting herself into with Rick and co. She's definitely dangerous and can hurt Rick's group if a war starts but she stands no chance of winning in the end. Rick can take her and her equally crazy knife wielding peons

We don't know that. We have no idea if the communities have a lot more people we know they grew some but we don't know how much. The whisperers have also been scouting the communities so at this point they have an advantage. Also. Thousands of walkers. If she is steering them then she could attack at night makes it even more dangerous. We have no idea how large of a group we are dealing with.

Rick may finally die. I doubt it but he could. For once he could take on a challange and not only lose but be killed in the proccess while a good bit of his fellow friends go with him. His last thought could be...what have i done?

Rick lost to the Gov. He didn't win that battle the Govs own people saw him for what he was at the end and killed him. Negan toyed with Rick and to be honest he should have killed him but instead he wanted Rick to be his bitch. Alpha has proven she doesn't have time for games and she wants to be left alone and she will just flat out kill whomever they want.

DaneBramage

DaneBramage

Biter

• Members
  • Location16 National Championships NCAA Div I Football

I was thinking why doesn't he push her off the roof and be done with her. The Zs will know she's alive.

"(When/If) You come at the King, you best not miss"- Omar Little

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

I was thinking why doesn't he push her off the roof and be done with her. The Zs will know she's alive.

She has a shotgun and she's behind him by a few feet. He wouldn't have a chance. He's slow....messed up leg. One arm....who do you think would actually win that battle? Lol

DaneBramage

DaneBramage

Biter

• Members
  • Location16 National Championships NCAA Div I Football

He's Rick muthafuckin Grimes.

"(When/If) You come at the King, you best not miss"- Omar Little

That_Guy_From_NY

That_Guy_From_NY

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationQueens

We don't know that. We have no idea if the communities have a lot more people we know they grew some but we don't know how much. The whisperers have also been scouting the communities so at this point they have an advantage. Also. Thousands of walkers. If she is steering them then she could attack at night makes it even more dangerous. We have no idea how large of a group we are dealing with.

Rick may finally die. I doubt it but he could. For once he could take on a challange and not only lose but be killed in the proccess while a good bit of his fellow friends go with him. His last thought could be...what have i done?

Rick lost to the Gov. He didn't win that battle the Govs own people saw him for what he was at the end and killed him. Negan toyed with Rick and to be honest he should have killed him but instead he wanted Rick to be his bitch. Alpha has proven she doesn't have time for games and she wants to be left alone and she will just flat out kill whomever they want.

I respectfully disagree with just about everything you said. Zombies are of no threat to Rick's group. Even a herd of that size can and will be dealt with with minimal casaulties. It took like 10 people to clear out ALL of Alexandria in No Way Out and they were already inside and the walls were DOWN. Now they have walls that can't be penetrated, and there is a maze so they couldn't get to the walls to begin with. If they did get to the walls there are guns and plenty of soldiers to handle them. Not to mention Alpha tipped her hand way too soon. She's unimpressive and I'm CERTAIN Rick can handle her. Not saying he'll come out of it with no scratches but he will definitely be the winner hands down.

Yes, Rick lost to the Gov but that was by definition PRE Governor Rick. Post Governor Rick hasn't really lost yet, he's had a few close calls due to making rash or impulsive choices but over all Rick is the most well prepared person we've seen aside from Negan and he BEAT Negan. Now Rick is sitting on a fortress, has plenty of guns, plenty of blades, soldiers and other communites ready and willing to come to his aid. Alpha on the other hand has to bring the fight TO Rick and all she has is a people with knives and some wack ass zombies that will be of little help to her against Rick and co.

Rick has been through too much and is simply just too savy to lose to the Whisperers.

In other words he is indeed "Rick Mother Fuckin' Grimes".

The Whisperers initially were mysterious and scary but really they have no idea who they are dealing with. Alpha saw their fair and sees kids running around, she took that as weakness and thinks they're soft, If she saw even half the shit they've fought through she would do anything to avoid a fight because even if she manages to hurt them her entire group WILL be lost in the process.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

I think my problem with the comic as of late is that there's really nothing thought-provoking in it anymore

Sure we had issue 141 but that was the first in a looooooong time

I mean, it doesn't have to be thought-provoking but it's hardly even exciting. I'm anxious to see the Negan stuff but I don't really care about Rick vs. The Whisperers. We know the whisperers won't just kill everyone so Rick has to win. Maybe not since Kirkman likes to put a spin on things but who knows. I'll be shocked if a single character I care about dies

Something that I have noticed since 127 is that a lot of the characters I hated/felt indifferent towards pre-time jump I now like and vice versa

I like Rick, Carl, and Negan a lot now

I do not care about Andrea, Maggie, or Sophia

I still love Eugene and Michonne, they just need more to do. Especially Eugene. Where's his Telltale mini-series?

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

Macek11

Macek11

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationLA
I really don't think we're gonna see a large scale conflict between the two. And I really don't want to, to be honest. We saw Alpha show Rick that they could potentially do some damage, but I think Rick might end up showing her that any sort of conflict will have heavy casualties both ways.

I'm much more interested in what's gonna happen with Negan as well as as the internal things going on between the communities.. The leadership and whole " we kill/don't kill" thing between Maggie and Rick as well as the leadership of the saviors..

While the whisperers do seem like a big deal It's possible they may just be a plot device to the stuff above.

They may be just to show that while the communities have been doing well.. the more advanced they get the more problems may arise, things only get more complicated the more a civilization progresses. While their way of life may seem odd and barbaric, the whisperers live a much simpler life and are much less likely to deal with internal strife.

Chryz707

Chryz707

Lurker

• Members

I agree, its what two years on now, they must have built some type of defense system.  The surviving factions are not that dumb, so lets not take them for granted too.  Also ASZ, Hilltop,  Sanctuary and the Kingdom are all spread out.  I highley doubt that all those Zombies unleashed will kill everyone!  Alpha is not stupid, but she is underestimating Rick.  She walked in and said she isnt impressed with Rick Grimes and his crew and this s seriously going to get a lot more Whisperers killed now too!   I think her leadership will be broken eventually and she will have to work with Rick.

ThatEpicBeast U Know

ThatEpicBeast U Know

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationVermont

I agree, its what two years on now, they must have built some type of defense system.  The surviving factions are not that dumb, so lets not take them for granted too.  Also ASZ, Hilltop,  Sanctuary and the Kingdom are all spread out.  I highley doubt that all those Zombies unleashed will kill everyone!  Alpha is not stupid, but she is underestimating Rick.  She walked in and said she isnt impressed with Rick Grimes and his crew and this s seriously going to get a lot more Whisperers killed now too!   I think her leadership will be broken eventually and she will have to work with Rick.

Yeah, from #129, we saw Alexandria has those big wooden sharp sticks, and the Hilltop cut down the trees near their entrance so they can see their front yard easier.

Now we need to see The Sanctuary and Kingdom.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!