The Walking Dead Issue #142 Review

- - - - - Issue 142 Review The Walking Dead Comic Rick Carl Alpha Maggie

DaneBramage

DaneBramage

Biter

• Members
  • Location16 National Championships NCAA Div I Football

Alpha got there real fast. Maybe the group is closer than Dante knows. Also I think Maggie will notice the WOMAN WITH A BALD HEAD. LOL

"(When/If) You come at the King, you best not miss"- Omar Little

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
I think everyone is forgetting that these events are all happening at different times. I'm sure a few days have went by since Carl has left.

It would give Alpha the time to find them scout them and then blend in. Nobody is keeping tabs on anyone. People are joining different communities every now and then. To be honest if Alpha brought another person or two i wouldn't be surprised.

Chryz707

Chryz707

Lurker

• Members

This was a good building issue to some massive storm that i feel is comming.  I think when it rains it will pour as well!  I dont the any of the communities are ready for it either.  I think it will have to do with a massive heard coming led by the whisperers.  This will bring the communites to thier knees and really start the fear of everything again.  Their can only be peace for such an amount of time!   I too think Alpha is going to find Negan and get tricked by him into taking him to her community.  As for Carl running his mouth in the Whisperer Camp, I think Carl has forgotten about being humble and respectful, especially when all odds are against you from where he stands at the present moment.  So Carl needs to bite his lip and STFU! I do have a bad feeling about Michonne getting killed in Issue 150 for some reason...  Just seems like it could happen.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.
150 cover is a troll zeke has the sword not michonne.

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

DaneBramage

DaneBramage

Biter

• Members
  • Location16 National Championships NCAA Div I Football

Agreed. MAybe it's him who bites it- it would be a true Kirkman. Unlike George RR Martin, RK can't kill a character he likes-or who is on the TV....

"(When/If) You come at the King, you best not miss"- Omar Little

hannsg

hannsg

Biter

• Validating

Trivia

It is revealed that it has been two months since the events of Issue 127.

It is revealed in this issue's Letter Hacks that more of Eugene, Gabriel, Dwight and The Saviors will be seen in future issues.

This is the first issue that feature appearances of residents/members from all 5 communities/groups: Alexandria, Hilltop, The Kingdom, The Sanctuary and The Whisperers.

It is revealed in this issue that Connie and Kelly are in a relationship.

http://walkingdead.w.../wiki/Issue_142

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

It's weird that people are now being judged by the way they live and not race or anything else.

True. 

What I'm talking about is the emergence of distinct cultures that are vastly different.  And cultural differences can be a source of much greater conflict.

Alexandria seems more like  a "yuppie" / D.C. crowd type culture.

The hilltop struck more as more a farming/ craftsman type community.

The Saviors community is the real-world equivalent of a neighborhood populated by working poor.

I can see potential for a variety of conflicts.

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

Agreed. MAybe it's him who bites it- it would be a true Kirkman. Unlike George RR Martin, RK can't kill a character he likes-or who is on the TV....

I thought he has killed a few characters he liked?

Now i know this comic is one of those things where " no one is safe" maybe he is changing it up a little. Shocking deaths are something we have grown use to seeing. They aren't shocking anymore. The only shocking death lately was Gregory. We knew they were going to kill him. I bet most of us were just waiting for him to get away.

Almost everybissue nowbwe expect someone to die. Maybe he's just going to wait.

Macek11

Macek11

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationLA

It's weird that people are now being judged by the way they live and not race or anything else.

The saviors went a few yrs with Negan, i'm sure a few of them are a little out there.

The kingdom folks lived like it was Medieval times. Hilltop and Alexandria seem to be the ones who stayed "normal"

We got Alpha and her group being like animals. Wearing Walker skins, Not having names, Raping kids, and living like barbarians. This will make the savoirs look like tame puppies.

I think Earl showing Alpha he makes daggers and swords will play a huge role in this.

I remember Kirkman saying something about being intrigued by the idea of how simple life used to be a long long time ago, just having to worry about the basics and not the more complex issues today. Sorry I don't have a link to back that up..

I think Kirkman has always wanted to explore that in a modern setting. They're trying to rebuild civilization and leave out the bad parts, but its not that easy. Like Rick said once I think, "We can build it back up better". While he's trying to do that, it's really not all that simple. With the progress they've made, more complex matters will inevitably come up.. 

It's interesting though because I keep drawing parallels to ancient and medieval times. Back then there was no such thing as race, and people were judged by their culture and the way they lived so it's interesting you say that. People were judged for things like the way they talked or dressed, or even how they wore their hair..

But yeah during ancient and medieval times you had "civilized" peoples and those they considered "barbarians". While there was tension between those kinds of people, they still engaged in trade and worked together in some cases. To Rick and company, the whisperers will definitely seem like barbarians but they just live a different kind of life and adapted to their environment differently than the communities. 

Alpha seems interested in learning about the communities and sees the benefits of working together, she seems smart. Yeah the daggers and swords are a good point, Alpha and her people could use some of those daggers.. So maybe that opens up a possible trade relationship? I'm not sure what the whisperers would offer in return though, maybe acting as scouts. Rick will probably lose his shit along the way but I definitely think we're gonna end up with some sort of agreement/partnership. 

deadhead216

deadhead216

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • Locationcleveland
Thought this was a pretty solid issue. Im hoping the coming issues just have troll covers because i feel im not ready for any of our cast of survivors to die just yet but it is TWD so anything can happen. Did anybody notice the waker head on the bottom of the page when rick and co. rode out to get carl? It just added awesomeness to an already awesome panel

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members

I disagree "anything can happen" or "noone is safe" is not really what the Walking Dead is anymore.

Kirkman has clear favorites and I feel like a few characters are never going to die.

I just dont buy the "noone is safe" bs anymore.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

I disagree "anything can happen" or "noone is safe" is not really what the Walking Dead is anymore.

Kirkman has clear favorites and I feel like a few characters are never going to die.

I just dont buy the "noone is safe" bs anymore.

That's what i meant by him changing it up a little. Sorry. I have to use my phone and i get so far ahead of myself i never explain what i mean anymore it's just jumbled.

I figure he'll keep people safe for a good period. However him killing people off may never happen until he just uses a character less and less he may strike then. At the point where we don't care.

When you say he has favorites, Is Rick one of them? Wasn't he suppose to die a few times? I think RK may have gotten to comfortable with his characters and now he wouldn't know what to do without some of them. Now he does mention every once in a while he likes to torture Rick and put him through hell occasionally.

I do think some people who have been around should live at the end of the comic.

I think maybe sooner or later it will be more Carl and about him. Rick for the moment is just there. We have had a few issues without him and it didn't bother me. RK could be testing the waters.( probably not) we just don't know.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members

Yea i think Rick is on top of the list but he is saving his death till Carl is of age and can take over the book.

Michonne is another one i feel will be safe for a long long time but i do agree Kirkman is moving away from the "noone is safe" and making deaths less and less what the book is about. (not sure i agree with this direction yet.)

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

i do agree Kirkman is moving away from the "noone is safe" and making deaths less and less what the book is about. (not sure i agree with this direction yet.)

I think it's a good move.

How many characters die at the hands of an arch-villain (e.g. Tyreese, Glenn) or get torn apart by walkers before it gets redundant?

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members

I think it's a good move.

How many characters die at the hands of an arch-villain (e.g. Tyreese, Glenn) or get torn apart by walkers before it gets redundant?

I agree but that is what made the book interesting to me was the worry of any character going at any time.

This has been missing from the book for some time now and it does affect my interest in the book but this is my personal feelings.

Macek11

Macek11

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationLA

I agree but that is what made the book interesting to me was the worry of any character going at any time.

This has been missing from the book for some time now and it does affect my interest in the book but this is my personal feelings.

Yeah I agree that's what intrigued me about the books too.. It has felt like he's gotten away from that now. For me, its always been "nobody is safe, EXCEPT so and so"

Maybe he has bigger things planned down the road so he's not worrying about deaths here and there to appease anyone. I'm guessing the next time we do get a death, it will be a big name character or several smaller ones. 

I think he's trying to focus on the big scheme of things, and that he has a lot more planned out down the road than he did before. The "no one is safe thing" and the fact that so many people die in this book is one of the things that made it so appealing. Now that he has a solid footing, he can focus on stuff that he's been planning for years probably, not just who dies and how. 

I agree with Deadpelican, the deaths can get kind of redundant as well as tiring, at least for me. Tiring in the sense that I'm waiting for a death and it never comes. 

Dr_Scientist

Dr_Scientist

S-mart Employee

• Members

I felt this issue was just okay.  I am finding myself liking Maggie less and less; her inconsistencies as a leader are going to catch up with her.  I remember only a few issues ago she scolded Carl about "we don't kill anymore!"  Then, basically the next day, after she gets drugged (I refuse to call Gregory's attempt a poisoning) she decides to execute the previous leader she essentially usurped.  I strongly disliked Greg, but from an outside perspective I can understand why the colonists would be disenfranchised with Maggie's leadership.  

I also understand why Rick was angry about hearing all of the news last minute/at the worst time.  I think it would have been very uncharacteristic of him had he been relaxed during the debriefing.  Everything Rick has done, especially building rebuilding society has been for Carl (I believe this turning point about civilization was when Carl's eye was shot out).  So of course Rick would be livid about Maggie only dedicating two days search for his son.

The biggest letdown for me was the fair.  I had been really anticipating seeing this and the gravity of it was lost on me.  I know I'm nitpicking here because with two issues left this arc there's bound to be more of the fair shown, but they've alluded to this event for about two and a half volumes now.

I liked Carl's and Alpha's exchange; I think he pinched a nerve when he called her out about Lydia's mistreatment.  I really want Carl to lead the Whisperers and if given the right situation I think they may come to worship him.  I'm also liking Dante more and more.  Since Eugene's introduction I haven't really rooted for many other characters' survival, but from what I can tell Dante is a solid dude and a team player.

Some thoughts I had after reading the issue: why hasn't Rick asked Earl to fashion him a knee brace?  Surely that would be better than a cane.  And why doesn't Rick's cane become a weapon like Zeke's former sword?  I also want to add that a month ago no one could've convinced me Alpha and Negan would ever even meet; now I can very much picture a scenario where she and him meet face to face in the jail.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

I felt this issue was just okay. I am finding myself liking Maggie less and less; her inconsistencies as a leader are going to catch up with her. I remember only a few issues ago she scolded Carl about "we don't kill anymore!" Then, basically the next day, after she gets drugged (I refuse to call Gregory's attempt a poisoning) she decides to execute the previous leader she essentially usurped. I strongly disliked Greg, but from an outside perspective I can understand why the colonists would be disenfranchised with Maggie's leadership.

I also understand why Rick was angry about hearing all of the news last minute/at the worst time. I think it would have been very uncharacteristic of him had he been relaxed during the debriefing. Everything Rick has done, especially building rebuilding society has been for Carl (I believe this turning point about civilization was when Carl's eye was shot out). So of course Rick would be livid about Maggie only dedicating two days search for his son.

The biggest letdown for me was the fair. I had been really anticipating seeing this and the gravity of it was lost on me. I know I'm nitpicking here because with two issues left this arc there's bound to be more of the fair shown, but they've alluded to this event for about two and a half volumes now.

I liked Carl's and Alpha's exchange; I think he pinched a nerve when he called her out about Lydia's mistreatment. I really want Carl to lead the Whisperers and if given the right situation I think they may come to worship him. I'm also liking Dante more and more. Since Eugene's introduction I haven't really rooted for many other characters' survival, but from what I can tell Dante is a solid dude and a team player.

Some thoughts I had after reading the issue: why hasn't Rick asked Earl to fashion him a knee brace? Surely that would be better than a cane. And why doesn't Rick's cane become a weapon like Zeke's former sword? I also want to add that a month ago no one could've convinced me Alpha and Negan would ever even meet; now I can very much picture a scenario where she and him meet face to face in the jail.

If you ask me, Dwight is the only leader other than zeke ( i think he gave up his title though) who hasn't looked like an ass. Rick going nuts and yelling at points losing control and throwing his ( leadership) around even when zeke made a slight joke about the trade system Rick had a hissy.

Gregory had to go and it was an attempt at poisoning. Maggie was being a hypocrite, however no matter where Gregory would have went he would have comvinced someone to join him. He's good at persuading people. He waits until the time is right. Like the couples he talked to about over throwing Maggie, it was because she was sticking up for Carl and Sophia. Even if the boys started it. He was poison. He would have never stopped trying to kill her.

Rick had every right to be mad about not finding out until last minute that much i agree on.

Carl isn't old enough nor does he have the experience to be a leader and none of those people other than Lydia would listen to him. I'm sure a good bit of them have been with Alpha since the beginning.

As for the fair...we may see more of it. Hopefully.

Dr_Scientist

Dr_Scientist

S-mart Employee

• Members

Gregory had to go and it was an attempt at poisoning. Maggie was being a hypocrite, however no matter where Gregory would have went he would have comvinced someone to join him. He's good at persuading people. He waits until the time is right. Like the couples he talked to about over throwing Maggie, it was because she was sticking up for Carl and Sophia. Even if the boys started it. He was poison. He would have never stopped trying to kill her.

I agree Gregory needed to be executed; I just also think that iMaggie shouldn't act gung-ho about not killing when she ordered the first (as far as we have seen) public execution of a criminal.  I think her speech after the fact made her seem even more hypocritical.

Carl isn't old enough nor does he have the experience to be a leader and none of those people other than Lydia would listen to him. I'm sure a good bit of them have been with Alpha since the beginning.

I can only half agree with this.  Given any other circumstances and a more rational community you'd be right, Carl would not be viewed as a leader.  But Lydia has said her people are taught that childhood no longer exists.  In the eyes of the Whisperers neither Lydia nor Carl are kids (Lydia is 15 and is raped by the men in the group, I doubt they see her as a child).   The people that belong to the Whisperer community are similar to cultists; given a charismatic/willful leader they could follow anyone.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
Yea i forgot about how children aren't children. Weirdos..

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Gregory had to go and it was an attempt at poisoning. 

I agree, but there's enough reasonable doubt to cause controversy and it may come back to haunt Maggie.  There are substances that are guaranteed to kill you if they are ingested- period.

And then there's substances that will only kill you in large doses.

Apparently Gregory poisoned her with something that is only deadly in large doses- and the dose was not large enough.  So one can reasonably question what his true purpose was. 

Yes, he had talked about murdering her, but there's plenty of ways to kill someone, especially in this world. So if you are serious about taking a life, why chose a method that has a chance of not working?

Now, I fully believe that he WAS trying to kill her and he failed.

But there's legit reason to question whether or not that's what happened.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members

I agree, but there's enough reasonable doubt to cause controversy and it may come back to haunt Maggie.  There are substances that are guaranteed to kill you if they are ingested- period.

And then there's substances that will only kill you in large doses.

Apparently Gregory poisoned her with something that is only deadly in large doses- and the dose was not large enough.  So one can reasonably question what his true purpose was. 

Yes, he had talked about murdering her, but there's plenty of ways to kill someone, especially in this world. So if you are serious about taking a life, why chose a method that has a chance of not working?

Now, I fully believe that he WAS trying to kill her and he failed.

But there's legit reason to question whether or not that's what happened.

Gregory was an idiot plain and simple.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

The thing is, Maggie could've easily moved Gregory into the prison at the ASZ. I thought of that solution almost immediately and it never occurred to Maggie or Jesus? I'll forgive this if Maggie admits in the upcoming issues that she just wanted Gregory dead

Also, I can't believe people are saying Rick got too angry at Maggie for giving up on Carl. I honestly thought he should've gotten angrier

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

buzzfactory

buzzfactory

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationUk

The thing is, Maggie could've easily moved Gregory into the prison at the ASZ. I thought of that solution almost immediately and it never occurred to Maggie or Jesus? I'll forgive this if Maggie admits in the upcoming issues that she just wanted Gregory dead

Also, I can't believe people are saying Rick got too angry at Maggie for giving up on Carl. I honestly thought he should've gotten angrier

Yeah I though he dropped it way to easily just cause he found out Gregory tried to kill her, yeah its bad but how hard is it to just MENTION to someone like jesus to send a rider out to rick. Two seconds and its out of her hands. even Jesus could of told someone else and focused on the Gregory issue

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio
One of the bad things with this kirkmans writing he doesn't seem to know how to get characters to communicate or take care or two problems at once.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!