Remembering My Son

* * * * * 1 memories

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Isle of Misfit Toys

This may not be the place for this and if so the mods can remove it. However as I stated a little while ago I never had many friends and you folks are the only ones I have now, so here goes.

My son Ethan Lee Davis was born 24 years ago today. He was always a handful, an in your face kinda kid.

FLFLnXA.jpg

Yeah that's him. Drool, scrapes, and trying to ram his toy in your eye.

He had his peaceful moments though.

QFY7euQ.jpg

The kid could make a stone laugh.

YcYnTd2.jpg

Ladies man and dog lover.

4BHu9k4.jpg

Loved the internet.

yXYFnC7.jpg

Facebook

zu88nhu.jpg

Sittin by the pool and swimming.

uE6QNzT.jpg

This is his graduation photo.

2wgheyq.jpg

Ethan didn't make it to graduate though. He departed this life on October 4th, 2008 at 5:02 P.M. in the afternoon. It was a beautiful Autumn day. I remember it well. He hung himself in an unremarkable patch of woods about a mile from the house for those of you that are curious. 

I like to think he went to some better place. I don't have the hubris to think I'll ever see him again even if there is such a place. People like me don't go to nice places, if for no other reason than the fact I failed to save Ethan, who was the finest human being I ever knew. A true miracle.

He did however grace us all with his presence for a short while. For that I am grateful.

Thanks Ethan. I love you! We all miss you.

His favorite song.

"Kiss your Mother goodnight, and remember that God saves."

kxwjZFU.png

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationEye Socket

He is still with you, Sheila, Jacob and Zachary.  I love you and I love your boy who I wish I'd met.  

KidSeventySeven

KidSeventySeven

Boomstick Commander

• Members
  • LocationPlatform 9 3/4

You have yourself a handsome boy there, BWR. I won't pretend I have any words to say that could erase the feeling that you failed by not saving him somehow. All I can tell you is that you are a fine man and your faults and flaws, no matter what they may be, pale in comparison to the good you bring into this world. You have a cynic's view of yourself at times, but I speak for way more people than myself when I tell you that you have brought a lot of laughter, wisdom, no bullshit advice and encouragement into my world. I don't have to have physically met you to know you. are. good. I will meet you and wrap my scrawny arms around your neck to say thanks one day, be it in this life or whatever comes next. For now, I'm going to go hug my son with the same name as your own, and take this thread as a reminder to love him hard. Add that to the list of things I owe you gratitude for. 

Love you, Pops.

Jon is fine, dammit.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members

You have yourself a handsome boy there, BWR. I won't pretend I have any words to say that could erase the feeling that you failed by not saving him somehow. All I can tell you is that you are a fine man and your faults and flaws, no matter what they may be, pale in comparison to the good you bring into this world. You have a cynic's view of yourself at times, but I speak for way more people than myself when I tell you that you have brought a lot of laughter, wisdom, no bullshit advice and encouragement into my world. I don't have to have physically met you to know you. are. good. I will meet you and wrap my scrawny arms around your neck to say thanks one day, be it in this life or whatever comes next. For now, I'm going to go hug my son with the same name as your own, and take this thread as a reminder to love him hard. Add that to the list of things I owe you gratitude for. 

Love you, Pops.

Love you too Kiddo!

kxwjZFU.png

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

What a beautiful tribute. I'll just second everything Kid so eloquently posted and add this video.

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationEye Socket

BWR loves you, too.  That was lovely and I'm still crying.  No amount of beer can help me now.

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members

What a beautiful tribute. I'll just second everything Kid so eloquently posted and add this video.

Thank you Serenity. That is beautiful. Back when I first came to the forum I didn't know what I was looking for. Turns out I was looking for friends. Turns out you're the best friend I ever had.

You could always tell when I was off my meds and weren't afraid to tell me what was. Remember the big baby picture. :D 

If it weren't for you I would have long ago wandered out back in the dark thirties, put my .45 in my mouth, and shuffled off this mortal coil.

I like to think Ethan's last gift to me was bringing me here to you and all the others.   

kxwjZFU.png

Draven

Draven

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationHorsens, Denmark

i am truly sorry that you and your familiy had to go through this. i am not very good at writing down my thoughts, but i can say i agree with what the others say. 

beutiful song, serenity@sea

"The North remembers"

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members

i am truly sorry that you and your familiy had to go through this. i am not very good at writing down my thoughts, but i can say i agree with what the others say. 

beutiful song, serenity@sea

Thank you Draven. Your thoughts are comforting. You expressed your feelings perfectly. There is no good way to talk about it. Hard men who had seen horrors on a daily basis couldn't express their feelings to me.

However, before the death of Ethan I had seen and done too much. I turned my back on humanity in disgust. The kindness shown to me by all manner of people from all corners of the globe renewed my faith in the human race. Another of Ethan's gifts. I try to help when I can, but it is so overwhelming.

You do what you can. They say water never sleeps. Neither does goodness. "Little Victories." You just gotta do what you can no matter how small 

kxwjZFU.png

Vrill

Vrill

Roamer

• Banned

Sorry for your loss bro. My heartfelt condolences. 

Draven

Draven

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationHorsens, Denmark

However, before the death of Ethan I had seen and done too much. I turned my back on humanity in disgust. The kindness shown to me by all manner of people from all corners of the globe renewed my faith in the human race. Another of Ethan's gifts. I try to help when I can, but it is so overwhelming.

You do what you can. They say water never sleeps. Neither does goodness. "Little Victories." You just gotta do what you can no matter how small 

its about the small things. i do think we can change the world with small acts of kindness, all big things are really made of a lot of small things right?

its a beutiful way to honor your son :)

"The North remembers"

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Thank you Serenity. That is beautiful. Back when I first came to the forum I didn't know what I was looking for. Turns out I was looking for friends. Turns out you're the best friend I ever had.

You could always tell when I was off my meds and weren't afraid to tell me what was. Remember the big baby picture. :D

If it weren't for you I would have long ago wandered out back in the dark thirties, put my .45 in my mouth, and shuffled off this mortal coil.

I like to think Ethan's last gift to me was bringing me here to you and all the others.   

I remember the big baby pic well. haha

You have been there for me many more times than I can count. I think everyone here knows that you are fiercely loyal and would do anything you possibly could for those you care about.

Ansceniiiic

Ansceniiiic

Zombie Herder

• Members

I suck at words of comfort, especially when it involves something so tragic. So instead of saying sorry, I wanted to say happy birthday Ethan. I'm sure he is proud of you and happy that you've found somebody who you love and also makes you happy!

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln

This is a beautiful tribute to your son! I don't have words to say like others have said, but it seems like you do indeed have a lot of people that love and support you :) 

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

Beautiful tribute, BWR. No parent should have to go through something like this, ever. I can't even imagine it. :( 

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members

Thank you all so very much. My silver tongue fails me for once. I can't express how much I appreciate all of you. I just want to keep Ethan's memory alive, because they say you never truly die as long as someone remembers you. Again, thank you.

kxwjZFU.png

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ

I took a while to respond to this, because I find it hard to articulate feelings and thoughts in this area. BWR, I can't relate to your situation and I won't pretend to try. Your son looked like a beautiful and kind soul, surely he was too good for this world. I'm sorry that you and your family had to go through that experience. Death is something I never know how to deal with, except to push forward and keep taking life as it comes until it doesn't. You seem like a very strong man with a lot of conviction. Your sons memory will live on. 

zack

zack

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Other Side

I've lost several loved ones.  It changes your life.  Thank you for reminding me to focus on the good memories.  It is a beautiful tribute to your son.  He will live on in your heart forever.  Wishing you the best!  

"I don't believe that things happen for the best. I do believe, however, that it is possible to make the best of things that happen."

lone star walker

lone star walker

Biter

• Members
  • Locationroaming the prairie
A heartfelt and loving tribute that truly honors Ethan. I'm glad you have people in your life that make you feel comfortable enough to share the memories. Here's hoping you continue to find even more folks that you can call friends.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!