Where Do They Go After La?

- - - - - Fear the walking dead the walking dead predictions

DanielTheSurvivor

DanielTheSurvivor

Infected

• Members
  • LocationQuarry Camp

LA is probably one of the worst places to be besides New York or Tokyo. So how long will they stay there. Where do you guys think they will try to go?

To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive.

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members

As someone who lives in LA and thinks about this all the time ... North, you have to go north. Or, up, in general, as in up to the mountains. There's no water down here to speak off, once the municipal systems go out; sure you can drill a well for groundwater, but I suspect that's gonna be beyond their capabilities for a while. I personally would eventually head for the northern California coast, or the Northwest somewhere. That's gonna be a helluva trip, though.

Vrill

Vrill

Roamer

• Banned

The terrain will be a lot more rugged and unforgiving in this TV series version of TWD if it's done right. 

Ansceniiiic

Ansceniiiic

Zombie Herder

• Members

Out of the city and far into into the woodlands would be my guess. I do hope they take advantage of the terrain and film at some famous locations. How cool would it be to see characters and zombies roaming around places like the Redwood forest or Yosemite National Park? If they bring the right directors on board, the show could look amazing visually instead of the purposely bland look the main show has. 

DanielTheSurvivor

DanielTheSurvivor

Infected

• Members
  • LocationQuarry Camp

As someone who lives in LA and thinks about this all the time ... North, you have to go north. Or, up, in general, as in up to the mountains. There's no water down here to speak off, once the municipal systems go out; sure you can drill a well for groundwater, but I suspect that's gonna be beyond their capabilities for a while. I personally would eventually head for the northern California coast, or the Northwest somewhere. That's gonna be a helluva trip, though.

huh. Let's hope we actually get to seem them traveling in this show. I really don't want timeskips.

DanielTheSurvivor

DanielTheSurvivor

Infected

• Members
  • LocationQuarry Camp

The terrain will be a lot more rugged and unforgiving in this TV series version of TWD if it's done right. 

Let's hope it's done right:)

hannsg

hannsg

Biter

• Validating
One of the characters meets a traveller from the east , the traveller tells tales of a great war between Heriot and a army of bandits led by rick and his "son" carl.
The character it turns out is carls biological father, and sets out an epic cross country crusade to liberate his son from the demented cuckold rick, there is more to this tale but that's for another day

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • LocationHanging out with Morgan

Since the companion show starts with the initial outbreak, I think they will be in LA a while. Remember Rick didn't find Lori and Carl at home because, as Morgan told Rick, the authorities told people to head for the city (Atlanta). That is why Rick headed to Atlanta in the pilot. Lori, Carl, and Shane didn't make it because they saw Atlanta bombed on the way. So, instead they made camp outside the city with others (i.e. Carol, Ed, and Sophia) they met on the way to Atlanta.

Since FTWD is in the same universe as TWD, I would expect them to follow a similar path. So, I see people heading to California before the mass exodus, just like with Atlanta. That being the case, I could see FTWD easily being in LA for the first two seasons, especially since the first season is just 6 episodes.

huh. Let's hope we actually get to seem them traveling in this show. I really don't want timeskips.

The time jumps on TWD were due to Chandler Riggs aging so much between seasons. The "kids" on FTWD are teenagers, not pre-teens, so I don't see time jumps being as necessary on FTWD as on TWD. I hope TPTB feel the same way.

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

Logan5

Logan5

Zombie Herder

• Members
  • LocationThe Endless River

I also think the show will stay in LA for the first and probably some of the second season. Sort of the same way they did TWD... S1 in Atlanta and the beginning of S2 they were on the road (to play hide and seek with Sophia for half a season). I think maybe the real panic sets in during E6, this is when mass confusion and blind panic take over and we see very large groups of people trying to leave the city all at once. Or that could be what we get for the first part of S2, then we see the exodus. Either way I am excited to see how they portray the initial outbreak before Rick wakes up.

259e5p1.jpg

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members
I lived in Barstow for a few years in the 1980s so here goes with fading memory:

Just to the west of LA are significant mountains, with some nice spots: Lake Arrow Head & Big Bear. Problem is that roads up there are few and would most likely be blocked.

The main route through the mountains to the High Desert is just one Interstate and would easily be blocked. Once over the mountains you are in the Mojave Desert. Not a bad place to be to avoid walkers. The only problem is water. No lakes until you get to Vegas.

So, there are mountains, lakes, and desert areas. If I had a good supply of water, from a spring preferably (and there are springs here and there out there) I would head for the Mojave.

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members

Thinking about the "where to go" question and my above post.....anyone is LA is royally screwed. The mountains around big bear will be swarming with refugees; if you can even get to them. If you can make it to the Mojave, and I bet you could not make it because of traffic jams, once you are there what are you really going to do long term? Sure, great place to shelter/watch out for walkers, but most of the springs (as I now remember) are alkali. As for food, where you gonna loot? Barstow is small.  Once past Barstow, what you got, Pahrump? No squirrel for Daryl to hunt, either. Further, people would be dying like flies out there and instant walker populations.

I guess the only other routes would be south--into other populated areas such as San Diego and Tijuana--or try to go north. I am less familiar with the geography north of LA, so there might be a better chance of getting out.

Over all, though, as other posters have noted, LA would be a really, really, really, bad place to be when the ZA hits.

hannsg

hannsg

Biter

• Validating

Do You Know the Way to San Jose?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • LocationFlorida

Depends on the characters. Are we talking pure cold hard logic or are the characters going to insist on finding other family first in the near by area? Will the initial cast travel together for safety until individual members find their cliche of friends or families? before separating to find a safe zone?

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray thee Lord these bites aren't deep.
Should I die before I wake, I pray thee Lord, my skull they break.

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members

Do You Know the Way to San Jose?

I've got lots of friends in San Jose

Roamer3

Roamer3

Infected

• Members

Try the channel islands. Surrounded by ocean and hard to get to. Some of the islands have herds of wild goats.

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCalifornia
I'd travel North about an hour out to a city called Camarillo. My friend lives out there on like a modern day farm. Would be perfect. Well, until we run out of water

Once water is gone I dunno. California is not the place you wanna be unless you plan on living by the ocean and DE salinating for the rest of your life

Bit > Lurker > Roamer > Put down by Scott Gimple. Goodbye R&L

KidSeventySeven

KidSeventySeven

Boomstick Commander

• Members
  • LocationPlatform 9 3/4

I'd travel North about an hour out to a city called Camarillo. My friend lives out there on like a modern day farm. Would be perfect. Well, until we run out of water

Once water is gone I dunno. California is not the place you wanna be unless you plan on living by the ocean and DE salinating for the rest of your life

I wonder how difficult it is to just boil the salt out of the water. I've seen it done in movies, but I doubt what I've seen is super accurate. Now I'm curious...to Google I go!

Jon is fine, dammit.

WalkerDub

WalkerDub

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationArkansas

I hear Nebraska's nice.

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members

Try the channel islands. Surrounded by ocean and hard to get to. Some of the islands have herds of wild goats.

But, no water to speak of, right? I'm trying to think if there are wells there, or if most of the water is imported. Catalina might have a well, I suppose.

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • LocationFlorida

I wonder how difficult it is to just boil the salt out of the water. I've seen it done in movies, but I doubt what I've seen is super accurate. Now I'm curious...to Google I go!

I don't think you can boil salt out of water. All you'll do is concentrate the salt in the remaining water. You can set up a rig for desalinating water though. Get two buckets. a small one and a large one. Set the small one in the large one and then fill the large one with salt water. Use a black garbage bag to cover the whole thing (Supported by sticks so there's space up top ) Place a rock or some other weight on the top so the bag sags in over the small bucket. Heat will cause the water to evaporate, which will condense on the bag and slide down the indent created by the weight and then drip into the smaller bucket.

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray thee Lord these bites aren't deep.
Should I die before I wake, I pray thee Lord, my skull they break.

Yama

Yama

Infected

• Members
  • LocationNew York
Oregon wouldn't be an impossible trip nor a bad choice.

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members

Over all, though, as other posters have noted, LA would be a really, really, really, bad place to be when the ZA hits.

I bet this is why LA was the location chosen for the show. It gives them different things to do compared to the original show.

sluicedawg

sluicedawg

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationAlabama/Georgia line

From the information from the shows creators, and the reality of what they have done so far, they are through filming in L.A. and the series will be filmed in Vancouver, for financial reasons apparently, so the real landmarks of locations will probably not be in the cards. Also, however they go about it, the series will obstensibly stay in the L.A. Basin with its urban/suburban edge of desert setting being intact. I mean reality aside, the above well stated views on acquiring water etc will somehow be addressed by the writers to keep the show in the greater L.A. area. That's kinda what the powers that be said. That this would not be a rural based show, like the forest of central/north Georgia, that this is an urban/suburban show. So I don't see them doing what we would really do in an apocalypse, and getting to a better geographical location to the east in the mountains or somehow crossing the MoJave to the Rockies or High plains or wherever. From what they said, this show stays in L.A.

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members

Interesting. There are many gated communities here that could, with only a little work, be made secure. The Mayor's residence is in one, called Windsor Square, not too far from where they've been already.  I always had to go around it while riding my bike to work back in the day.

But the problem will still be water (either for drinking or for growing food). And that's without the drought; we only get 15 inches or so of rain so in a typical year. And that can vary between deluge and drought.

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left

LA is probably one of the worst places to be besides New York or Tokyo. So how long will they stay there. Where do you guys think they will try to go?

Holy crap, a zombie outbreak in Tokyo? That would NOT be pretty. Dang. Then again, I guess "High school of the Dead" kinda sorta covered that.

*shudders* 

I seriously hope TWD/FTWD never takes any pointers from High school of the Dead.

"There's no "I" in team" 

"Yeah, there's no "U" either. So I guess if I'm not on the team, and you're not on the team, nobody's on the God damn team. The team sucks!"

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!