• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

buzzfactory

buzzfactory

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationUk

So after two full seasons from one show runner, possibly the most stable the shows been in a long time showrunner wise, I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were, are you happy with Gimple? do you hate the direction hes taking the show or do you praise it? or somewhere inbetween?

Me myself consider Gimple to be the best the shows ever had, he has the right mix of apretiating the source material and being true to it but also reinventing and distorting it just enough for comic fans to keep interesting and suspended. 

Sure theres things id change and as a comic fan, theres a lot i dislike and feel let down by ( EG tyreese.., lack of ASZ comic characters, how they handled Rick n Jessie) but as a whole, id rather he was show runner out of any of the previous.

Vrill

Vrill

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 116 posts

I'm happy with the shows direction honestly. 

backwoodsroamer

backwoodsroamer

The Amiable Roamer

• Members
  • 4,384 posts
  • LocationThe Island of Misfit Toys

Let's compare the three.

First we had Darabont. His work was fantastic. "Days Gone Bye" is a beautiful piece of filmmaking. It could easily be a stand alone movie, but therein is the problem. Frank Darabont is a filmmaker, not a showrunner. I believe his vision of what he wanted TWD to be could never have been made on a budget AMC would accept. Exit Darabont.

Now comes Glen Mazzara. Now this will be harsh, but it's my opinion. Mazzara was a chair warmer. He just happened to be in the right spot at the right time when Darabont left. A mediocre talent who gave us a mediocre effort. Exit Mazzara.

Now we have Scott Gimple. He has his ups and downs, but generally gives us a good, workmanlike effort. He is consistent and for that reason, and I'm not saying there are not many others, I agree Gimble is the best of the three. He does a fine job of juggling a difficult mix. To please so many different types of fans has got to be rough. 

2ly50ft.jpgHey! Come with me. It'll be fun! Promise!

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • 2,574 posts
  • LocationEye Socket

Gimple is fantastic, IMO.  He came in knowing what he was in for. He is doing a great job of triage on this show.

Posted Image

SuperNeos2

SuperNeos2

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 193 posts
Gimple is love, Gimple is life. He has to be doing something right to be the longest running showrunner in the show's history. I love his work. Seasons 5 and 4 are my favorites.

Dead Gov Walking

Dead Gov Walking

Lurker

• Members
  • 379 posts

Aside from a few slip ups (lookin at you, Hospital Arc), he's been great. Hope that continues to be next season

Nareen

Nareen

Lurker

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • LocationCanada

Let's compare the three.

First we had Darabont. His work was fantastic. "Days Gone Bye" is a beautiful piece of filmmaking. It could easily be a stand alone movie, but therein is the problem. Frank Darabont is a filmmaker, not a showrunner. I believe his vision of what he wanted TWD to be could never have been made on a budget AMC would accept. Exit Darabont.

Now comes Glen Mazzara. Now this will be harsh, but it's my opinion. Mazzara was a chair warmer. He just happened to be in the right spot at the right time when Darabont left. A mediocre talent who gave us a mediocre effort. Exit Mazzara.

Now we have Scott Gimple. He has his ups and downs, but generally gives us a good, workmanlike effort. He is consistent and for that reason, and I'm not saying there are not many others, I agree Gimble is the best of the three. He does a fine job of juggling a difficult mix. To please so many different types of fans has got to be rough.

Well said and I agree.

Days Gone By was so good that it sucked me into watching a series of a genre I would not normally even look at. 

It was Season 3 that did me in with Mazzara because I liked Season 2.  In S3 I thought there were a number of good episodes and great scenes but I didn't like the killings for shock value and had the impression Mazzara didn't know where he was going.

I mostly liked Seasons 4 and 5, so I think Gimple is doing better overall.  

Logan5

Logan5

Biter

• Members
  • 956 posts
  • LocationOn the run

Another vote for Gimple, I really like what he has done. And calling Mazzara a mediocre talent is being overly generous  :)

sy0ajt.jpg

Joseph

Joseph

Lurker

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • LocationColchester, England.

I love Gimple! Best showrunner in tv in my opinion. He should stay as the showrunner for the rest of the series. Brilliant writer as well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!