Walking Dead Issue 137 Review

- - - - - Carl Lydia Skins Virgin Gregory Maggie

Nick_FM

Nick_FM

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationU.S.A.

Carl helping Lydia escape was Maggie and Jesus' plan to get her to talk about the whisperers more, correct? 

DHeav60

DHeav60

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Carl helping Lydia escape was Maggie and Jesus' plan to get her to talk about the whisperers more, correct?

You mean escape the cell? Yes. I don't think Maggie and Jesus want Lydia or Carl to leave the Hilltop - though they seem a bit preoccupied at the moment. I think the plan was to learn as much about the whisperers as possible. So far - Carl hasn't learned very much. Meanwhile Lydia has received a treasure trove of information on Carl, and his people - she's the one that's really been doing the interrogating.

JackStraw

JackStraw

Infected

• Members

Maggie sure seems to have lost control of hilltop - she's indecisive and buffeted by each recent cascading danger. She may very well die. The rage of boys mom - dropping the c-word, was pure manic art by Adlard. There will be a bit of civil war as result, weakening Hilltop/Rome for the barbarians at the gate. I think they crush the rebellion, yet as Ricks group arrives for the "fair" battles converge.

Maggie's "relocation" concept is very intriguing. What does that mean? A process of shunning or banishment like USSR's old "Siberia". I wonder where?

I agree Lydia had the intent; "Lydia is strong", but I also think she is also falling a bit for Carl. The hat as talisman shows a bond between the two adding to that notion and is our cue. Both side will be surprised by this development at a critical juncture as they face-off. R&J is pretty apt. and very cool notion. The age thing not so disturbing - sure by our optics, but not in the TWD. These were normal marrying ages in medieval world. Extended childhood was no option then or now in TWD world.

"Leader is coming" - may be a big surprise. We may even know that person? Lydia speaks normally - not as the whisperer soldiers do - she may be "royalty" in their feudal system.

I think Rick has one more in him. He'll shave the beard and we'll see perhaps one last hurrah - maybe with Negan! Shtein is about to get crazy! Speaking of talismans, where is Lucille?

As far as the eye thing...My GP's loved an old show called "laugh-in". I recall it had a mad viral-of-the-day catch-phrase that seems apt now..."Sockittome, sockittome, sockittome!

Macek11

Macek11

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationLA

Maggie sure seems to have lost control of hilltop - she's indecisive and buffeted by each recent cascading danger. She may very well die. The rage of boys mom - dropping the c-word, was pure manic art by Adlard. There will be a bit of civil war as result, weakening Hilltop/Rome for the barbarians at the gate. I think they crush the rebellion, yet as Ricks group arrives for the "fair" battles converge.

Maggie's "relocation" concept is very intriguing. What does that mean? A process of shunning or banishment like USSR's old "Siberia". I wonder where?

I agree Lydia had the intent; "Lydia is strong", but I also think she is also falling a bit for Carl. The hat as talisman shows a bond between the two adding to that notion and is our cue. Both side will be surprised by this development at a critical juncture as they face-off. R&J is pretty apt. and very cool notion. The age thing not so disturbing - sure by our optics, but not in the TWD. These were normal marrying ages in medieval world. Extended childhood was no option then or now in TWD world.

"Leader is coming" - may be a big surprise. We may even know that person? Lydia speaks normally - not as the whisperer soldiers do - she may be "royalty" in their feudal system.

I think Rick has one more in him. He'll shave the beard and we'll see perhaps one last hurrah - maybe with Negan! Shtein is about to get crazy! Speaking of talismans, where is Lucille?

As far as the eye thing...My GP's loved an old show called "laugh-in". I recall it had a mad viral-of-the-day catch-phrase that seems apt now..."Sockittome, sockittome, sockittome!

I thought the fair was at Alexandria? Anyway I really like the comparisons to ancient history with these whisperers. With the contrast between Nomadic/hunter-gatherer v. Agrarian/sedentary socieities. It really is interesting to me. I do see the whisperers as barbarians and kinda like the Huns in this situation. Rick will have to enlist the help of Negan much like Rome did with the Goths in order to defeat the threat.

Also an interesting thing with Lydia and Carl is, maybe Lydia gets pregnant. That kid grows up eventually and If there is any trice or conflict, that kid could try and lay claim to the "throne", due to his Grimes ancestry. Doubt this may happen, but it was just an interesting parallel I drew, especially like Honoria and Attila. Course they didn't have a kid at least I don't think,but I just thought of them.

ThatEpicBeast U Know

ThatEpicBeast U Know

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationVermont

You mean escape the cell? Yes. I don't think Maggie and Jesus want Lydia or Carl to leave the Hilltop - though they seem a bit preoccupied at the moment. I think the plan was to learn as much about the whisperers as possible. So far - Carl hasn't learned very much. Meanwhile Lydia has received a treasure trove of information on Carl, and his people - she's the one that's really been doing the interrogating.

Basically when people think Lydia is honeypotting Carl, it's actually the other way around (And maybe vice versa, if she actually is honeypotting him).

I love how these recent issues bring back memories/homages to 50+ old Issues.  Here's a list:

Issue 134: Carl and Sophia talk about the Prison times.

Issue 136: Carl talks about events from Issues 9 and Issue 83.

Issue 137:  Carl talks briefly about the Hunters encounter and them eating Dale's leg.  Lydia says the "Scars are sexy" line (But slightly altered) that Sophia said in Issue 10.  And also, in a way... Maggie getting Carl to let Lydia out and trying to get information out of her is similar to The Governor getting Martinez to help Rick, Michonne and Glenn escape Woodbury in Issues 31-34.  But maybe Lydia will notice just like Rick in Issue 35 and begins to chase down Carl (But without an RV).

Anything else I missed?

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube....suSrDxf3qF6z34w (Epic A)

I Heart Penny

I Heart Penny

Infected

• Members
  • LocationOntario, Canada
Andrea says in 127 that the fair is two months away, so, I don't think we'll be seeing it anytime soon

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCalifornia

The eye hole licking scene was just.. bleh. Kinda funny considering all the gore and whatnot but that scene got to me.

Great issue overall though.

Bit > Lurker > Roamer > Put down by Scott Gimple. Goodbye R&L

ThatEpicBeast U Know

ThatEpicBeast U Know

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationVermont

The eye hole licking scene was just.. bleh. Kinda funny considering all the gore and whatnot but that scene got to me.

Great issue overall though.

Heh, yeah.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube....suSrDxf3qF6z34w (Epic A)

Chryz707

Chryz707

Lurker

• Members

I think the angry parents will be silenced quickly.  I honestly hope that Carl will be smarter than that with Lydia, but he is yound, dumb and full of something.  So he will be duped by Lydia!  I honestly think Maggie has been leading well, but Gregory undermining her will be diffiicult to prove.  I think Negan will kill him ultimately.

TomTom

TomTom

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationSouth Africa

I thought it was a pretty epic issue! 

The age thing with Carl and Lydia didnt bother me... I must admit its feeling more and more like a "medieval" setup with regards to life expectancy etc... I also thought Carl and Sophia were going to hook up, and they still might, but i suppose they are also a lot like siblings... they have pretty much grown up together so it might be a bit strange for them... It does seem like the obvious lead up to Sophia catching them in the act though... 

I seriously hope Gregory realizes hes done for and makes a break for it and gets captured by the Skins, who then think they have some bargaining material, but in actual fact have nothing but a fat fuck that they end up killing and wearing... 

deathraygun

deathraygun

Infected

• Members
  • LocationAustin, TX
Damn what a great issue. I read 135-137 altogether and the only thing that sucks is waiting for 138. I hope Carl is smarter and he's just playing the part. I'd prefer that then Sophia catching them in the act and having some teen drama going down...
Fire walk with me.

TomTom

TomTom

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationSouth Africa

Damn what a great issue. I read 135-137 altogether and the only thing that sucks is waiting for 138. I hope Carl is smarter and he's just playing the part. I'd prefer that then Sophia catching them in the act and having some teen drama going down...

I think we would all prefer that... As to what happens next though... I have a feeling we may be heading for Dawsons creek 2.0

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

I think this is all part of Lydia's masterplan. She gained Carl's trust, and is playing the role of the innocent little girl. In reality, she is controlling him.  

Man I sure hope not. 

Talk about a worn- out cliche.

For once, I'd like to see a female character like this  who seduces a guy just because she likes sex-   not because of some dark, sinister motive.

On the whole, I liked the issue. 

I'm thinking that Maggie isn't going to die from poisoning. 

Her  poison ingestion  is Dwight's poison arrow all over again. 

Another cliffhanger that doesn't amount to much in the end. 

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

DHeav60

DHeav60

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Man I sure hope not. 

Talk about a worn- out cliche.

While the devious woman seducing the hapless man for ulterior reasons is cliche in many stories - TWD hasn't really had anything like that. This actually fits with the story.

For once, I'd like to see a female character like this  who seduces a guy just because she likes sex-   not because of some dark, sinister motive.

Couldn't it be both?

Kirkman's ambiguity has been pretty good so far, this is another example. He wants the audience to decide whether Lydia is simply using Carl or if she really likes him and the relationship is genuine. Of course - these 2 scenarios don't have to be mutually exclusive. I think Lydia probably does genuinely LIKE Carl as a person, but she is most definitely USING him right now.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members

No, I gotta agree with DP. It's overused in a lot of stories and just because TWD hasn't used it yet doesn't mean it should

It's too far-fetched for her to be a spy or some shit. She's just a seriously ill girl, of course she won't act normal

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

While the devious woman seducing the hapless man for ulterior reasons is cliche in many stories - TWD hasn't really had anything like that. This actually fits with the story.

Couldn't it be both?

Kirkman's ambiguity has been pretty good so far, this is another example. He wants the audience to decide whether Lydia is simply using Carl or if she really likes him and the relationship is genuine. Of course - these 2 scenarios don't have to be mutually exclusive. I think Lydia probably does genuinely LIKE Carl as a person, but she is most definitely USING him right now.

I guess a part of me imagines this scenario unfolding: Carl is smitten by a girl, her motives are nefarious   and Carl  (or someone else) eventually ends up having to kill her. 

My problem with that? 

It's more or less what we expect from the Walking Dead. 

So how about having her be a basically nice girl who is sincere, but seriously damaged  emotionally, resulting in occasionally bizarre behavior (like licking Carl's eye socket). 

I think there's a lot more  interesting possibilities with the character, than simply having her be a femme fatale. 

Just my opinion. 

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Macek11

Macek11

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationLA

I guess a part of me imagines this scenario unfolding: Carl is smitten by a girl, her motives are nefarious and Carl (or someone else) eventually ends up having to kill her.

My problem with that?

It's more or less what we expect from the Walking Dead.

So how about having her be a basically nice girl who is sincere, but seriously damaged emotionally, resulting in occasionally bizarre behavior (like licking Carl's eye socket).

I think there's a lot more interesting possibilities with the character, than simply having her be a femme fatale.

Just my opinion.

Yeah I wouldn't really want lto see her be a femme fatale either. I think and hope it will be like you described. The main thing I think is to show the contrast between the two groups, through Carl and Lydia, showing how differently and how "fast" they may have or have not grown up.

DHeav60

DHeav60

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

No, I gotta agree with DP. It's overused in a lot of stories and just because TWD hasn't used it yet doesn't mean it should

It's too far-fetched for her to be a spy or some shit. She's just a seriously ill girl, of course she won't act normal

I don't think it fits the mold for a few reasons.

1 - Lydia is not a super spy, but she is looking out for her own best interests right now, and she definitely has more allegiance to the Whisperers than she does to Carl. I think she may have genuine feelings for Carl - but regardless - she KNOWS Carl is influential in the community and right now she is doing everything she can to tether herself to him. And its not like she has had much difficulty getting info out of Carl...

2 - Carl is not a hapless, clueless male, who can only be lead around by his dick.... I mean, he is being lead by it right now, but this is all very new to him. Carl is very smart and capable, and Rick has done a great job of raising Carl to be a good person. His manipulation by Lydia is only due to his vast inexperience with sex and relationships.

General Ian Zane

General Ian Zane

Roamer

• Members

Gregory is really one dumb shit. Even if Jesus hadn't seen him, what would Gregory do? Tell everyone that Maggie had a heart attack? Would ANYONE buy that?

I thought it was possible Gregory would break Lydia out and then kill Maggie, framing Lydia for it. I really don't know what he was trying to accomplish. He's definitely dead as shit now

I also don't think Maggie is dead. Idk. I feel like if she did die, Kirkman would let her get a few scratches in on Gregory or maim him or put up a better fight before she went. It's a little too clean

Maybe he would just insist that she committed suicide. It worked in Argentina!

General Ian Zane

General Ian Zane

Roamer

• Members

Am I the only one not bothered by the eye socket-licking?

Imagine Sophia being the one to walk in on them.

I wasn't bothered. But scar tissue really doesn't feel very much anyway, so it is all for her benefit. She got herself a boyfriend like all the guys she hangs out with, and now she can control him as part of her usual group infiltration skills.

General Ian Zane

General Ian Zane

Roamer

• Members

Couldn't it be both?

It may be cliche, but it is also standard tradecraft. Because it works.

He's pitting them against each other, but we will see who wins.

OutLawd

OutLawd

Roamer

• Members
I think Jesus is gonna get fucked up by those parents by surpise

Dr_Scientist

Dr_Scientist

S-mart Employee

• Members

I think Jesus is gonna get fucked up by those parents by surpise

That would be a shocking twist. Everyone is so focused on Maggie; not many would really see that coming.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.

That would be a shocking twist. Everyone is so focused on Maggie; not many would really see that coming.

hansel_beer2.png

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

Immune10

Immune10

Infected

• Members
  • LocationI'm not on a boat
Not really a review I'm posting but I bought two copies of the issue and although the covers are identical they are different colors... One is the cover you see when you google the issue, the other is more of a purplish color I'd say . does anyone have this issue ? I can't find anything at all online and I don't know how to and upload things or whatnot

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!